• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Cleaning The Mind Is His Worship

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
Cleaning the mind is His worship literally.

Studying Guru Granth Sahib ji, sikh can very well understand what is most important Guru seva is . It is to contemlate on Lord's Naam which requires absolute cleaning of our minds. We do not, as sikhs, need to gather worshipping material and indulge in ritual worshipping. A beautiful Shabad by Satguru Nanak says it all:

ੴ ਸਤਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਕਰਤਾ ਪੁਰਖੁ ਨਿਰਭਉ ਨਿਰਵੈਰੁ
ਅਕਾਲ ਮੂਰਤਿ ਅਜੂਨੀ ਸੈਭੰ ਗੁਰ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ॥

ਰਾਗੁ ਗੂਜਰੀ ਮਹਲਾ ੧ ਚਉਪਦੇ ਘਰੁ ੧ ॥
ਤੇਰਾ ਨਾਮੁ ਕਰੀ ਚਨਣਾਠੀਆ ਜੇ ਮਨੁ ਉਰਸਾ ਹੋਇ ॥ ਕਰਣੀ ਕੁੰਗੂ ਜੇ ਰਲੈ ਘਟ ਅੰਤਰਿ ਪੂਜਾ ਹੋਇ ॥੧॥ ਪੂਜਾ ਕੀਚੈ ਨਾਮੁ ਧਿਆਈਐ ਬਿਨੁ ਨਾਵੈ ਪੂਜ ਨ ਹੋਇ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥ ਬਾਹਰਿ ਦੇਵ ਪਖਾਲੀਅਹਿ ਜੇ ਮਨੁ ਧੋਵੈ ਕੋਇ ॥ ਜੂਠਿ ਲਹੈ ਜੀਉ ਮਾਜੀਐ ਮੋਖ ਪਇਆਣਾ ਹੋਇ ॥੨॥ ਪਸੂ ਮਿਲਹਿ ਚੰਗਿਆਈਆ ਖੜੁ ਖਾਵਹਿ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਦੇਹਿ ॥ ਨਾਮ ਵਿਹੂਣੇ ਆਦਮੀ ਧ੍ਰਿਗੁ ਜੀਵਣ ਕਰਮ ਕਰੇਹਿ ॥੩॥ ਨੇੜਾ ਹੈ ਦੂਰਿ ਨ ਜਾਣਿਅਹੁ ਨਿਤ ਸਾਰੇ ਸੰਮ੍ਹ੍ਹਾਲੇ ॥ ਜੋ ਦੇਵੈ ਸੋ ਖਾਵਣਾ ਕਹੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਸਾਚਾ ਹੇ ॥੪॥੧॥ {ਪੰਨਾ 489}
( Means: Contemplation on you(your Naam) is my sandalwood with which I rub my heart( as stone is used to rub) to clean off vices. Good deeds work as saffron, and within His worship starts. Yes do worshipping but no worship is accepted by Him without meditating on Him (means getting completely lost in Him).
People wash deities from out side, what does it establish? Important thing is to clean our minds with the Name of our Lord; while remained tuned to Him, good deeds become a goal and dirt of other vices is washed off.
Just compare animals with humans, it is sad to know that just by eating grass, animals give milk and humans having a lot from The Almighty do the cursed deeds. They are superior to animals but are worse in ungratefulness; reason is simple, they forget the Creator
who is always close watching and taking care of all. Satguru says I am content with Eternal's will, and eat what He gives)

Worshipping is defined, when followed Satguru, outside shows become meaningless. It is kind of falling in love with Him and getting lost in His memory, then the worship goes on within. AS child avoids mischief in presence of parents, same way having involved with Him, intention to do wrong is taken over by love and respect we harbour in our minds.
If studying Gurbani, ego, greed, anger and lust rule our hearts then there is certainly a fault in our love and Naam Japna.

Har Bisrat sda khuari Mehla-5

Pk70

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
One of the most beautiful posts and writings that I have ever come across. Not only it is informative but it is fairly instructive the way it is authored.
Thanks a lot for telling things that go straight to the heart.

Warm Regards.

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
One of the most beautiful posts and writings that I have ever come across. Not only it is informative but it is fairly instructive the way it is authored.
Thanks a lot for telling things that go straight to the heart.

Warm Regards.

Sikh80 ji
Sat sree Akaal

Your compliment is like a big honour for me beyond thanks. You are doing good too by giving site readers an opportunity to explore Gurmat.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
Respected Pk ji.

It is true that I am posting here but there is a selfish reason that I tend to learn more when I write. My knowledge is only theoretical as I am not a serious practitioner.

You are a practitioner plus an author and hence you can appreciate Gurbani and communicate with the members in more effective manner.
Our knowledge is just superficial. May be ,with passage of time, we also develop love of Lord. We shall be guided by you and I have a firm belief that you shall remove very basic doubts that I have and I shall be posting the same under the thread Of 'Guru nanak is the Guru and the lord'.Kindly attend to them and we shall all be benefited.There are many doubts that I am not posting as it may invite the wrath of other members.

But I shall start posting now.

With Regards

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
Mind Cleaning as per Jap ji Sahib

The Man should try to become Sachiara so that he can meet HIM and remain at HIS lotus feet. Nanak dev ji Maharaaj has said that there is one curtain between us and the lord and this curtain is of Kurh of Haume. And if one has to be with Him one shall have to answer the question as to how to get rid of the filth. Many have tried to cleanse the mind by the traditional methods prevailing at the time of Guru Nanak dev ji maharaja i.e. like going to pilgrimages and performing rituals. But many could not clean the mind. Some people adopt to undertake pilgrimages and some become Moni and some want more wealth and some wants wisdom and intellect.These methods may not be wrong but will not lead to Sachiara.

socY soic n hoveI jy socI lK vwr ] (1-5, jpu, mÚ 1)

Infact, the entire Jap ji Sahib states as to how to become Sachiara.[katha]

This Haume has separated us from the lord. Satguru Nanak dev ji has stated that by the methods adopted by us no one has been able to get purified. If one remembers the single Truth one shall become ‘sucha’. If one has Naam one is ‘sucha’ else one is not so. One gets blessed with as per His grace.

[Some experts think Sochai as to think[sochna].

Others feel that its meaning is to take bath for cleaning. It means that even if one washes the body externally as many times as one likes the body made up of soil cannot be cleaned. [The word ‘soch’ has appeared in Sukhmani sahib as well. Our Body is like a wall of soil but it cannot be cleaned.]

Nanak dev ji says that one should look into one’s life and then find out as to how the mind keeps on accumulating the Dirt. It is by this self-analysis and introspection that one can avoid getting the dirt. By dealing with those who have Kurh one gets some part of Kurh. The company of such people should be avoided. Gurbani deals with such people by addressing them as faithless cynics.

One gets Kurh because of ‘haume’ and Panj Chor.

Kar Ishnaaan ; Simar Prabh apna

[the former half line suggests the bodily wash and the later is the wash of the mind.]

Naam is the soap and the mind’s kurh is filth. Naam washes of the filth and helps keep mind under control.

mn cUry Ktu drsn jwxu ] (352-1, Awsw, mÚ 1)

Conquering the mind is like conquering this world. The entire universe is reflected in this mind. However, the negative thoughts in the mind makes it useless and it acts as a barrier to self- realization. In bani lot of stress is paid to the control of the mind that is also made of the five elements.

It is by constant simran that one sheds the kurh/dirt and may achieve the status of sachiara. By constant and considered practice of this one may become Truthful in real sense.

One should also be in praise of the Lord and it should be heart felt. His praise is like remembering HIM. Bani is meant for this. By constant practice of bani with love one is trying to cleanse the mind. Bani is the feed of mind and soul. The spiritual wisdom attained through the religious scriptures is also pleasing to the mind. It helps mind reach the elevated status. The most essential ingredient is the ‘Bhao’ i.e the feeling of love, faith and devotion to the Lord, the Almighty.

ਗਾਵੀਐ ਸੁਣੀਐ ਮਨਿ ਰਖੀਐ ਭਾਉ ॥

One should pay heed to the teachings of the guru. These teachings are well documented in the Granth sahib ji maharaja. Developing a feeling of love for the guru is part of the service to HIM. Sikhs are lucky that they get the option of serving the Lord while being in their homes and one need not perform many rituals for being in HIS service. Constant practice and simran leads to the control of the mind that helps in becoming equ-ipoise. It is the first stage of the spiritual cleanliness. One should not only sing but also listen and then practice the teachings by keeping them in mind. It is by repeated actions and mental repetitions that one can achieve the purpose of cleaning of the mind.

ਮਤਿ ਵਿਚਿ ਰਤਨ ਜਵਾਹਰ ਮਾਣਿਕ ਜੇ ਇਕ ਗੁਰ ਕੀ ਸਿਖ ਸੁਣੀ ॥

Within the mind are gems, jewels and rubies, if you listen to the Guru's teachings. Guru’s teachings help us recognize the Hukum of the Lord. One who remains in HIS ‘Bhana’ is not likely to have a tormented mind.The feeling of pain and pleasure and happiness and sadness disappears.

Mind cleansing is affected by the control of mind that results in the control of the senses. The constant practice of this also helps the seekers.Listening to Naam and accepting as a truth with full faith and love has a cleansing effect of the mind.

ਸੁਣਿਆ ਮੰਨਿਆ ਮਨਿ ਕੀਤਾ ਭਾਉ
ਅੰਤਰਗਤਿ ਤੀਰਥਿ ਮਲਿ ਨਾਉ

At many places In Gurbani it is stated that devotional worship Of the lord is also an essential ingredient of becoming eligible for His grace. One should attain all the spiritual qualities to attaining HIS blessings. One should attain the qualities like forgiveness, compassion and kindness. It is only by gaining virtues that one can do devotional worship of the lord.

ਵਿਣੁ ਗੁਣ ਕੀਤੇ ਭਗਤਿ ਹੋਇ

One should acquire as many virtues as possible so that one can engage fruitfully in the devotional worship of the Lord that is the pen-ultimate of the service of the Lord.

Bhul Chuk Mauf

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: