• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Christian Hymns And Sikh Doctorine

seekingsikhi

Writer
SPNer
Sep 27, 2017
Houston, TX
Vaheguru ji ka khalsa
Vaheguru ji ki fateh

Sangat ji,
My gurmukhi is coming along well, but I'm left with a longing. I can sing and say kirtan and shabads well enough for the length of time I've been learning, but at this point I do not know enough Punjabi (to say nothing of any of the other languages in Dhan Dhan SGGS) to understand much of anything coming out of my mouth. It's as though I can SAY Punjabi without the ability to SPEAK Punjabi. This bothers me. There's a point to saying the words, even without understanding them, but I want to know what my guru is saying. I want to sing his shabads and know what I'm singing, because music has always been a significant way for me to connect with God.

I've mentioned before that I was raised in the christian church, and I suspect I'm not the only one with this background. Before I undertake to go through various hymnals searching for hymns that are in line with sikh doctorine, I was wondering if anyone in the sangat knew of any off the top of their head. I would be surprised if I was the first person to consider this "alternative."

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM