• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Bowing

Interested

SPNer
May 31, 2007
London
I have a question! I converted to Sikhism almost 2 years ago and although I have visited the Gurdwara in this time I have never bowed to Sri Guru Granth Sahib. I can not fully explain why - I think that in the past I have always just thought (as an 'outsider') that it was inappropriate and a cultural thing. I want to know if there is a correct way to show your respect to Sri Guru Granth Sahib?

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Interested ji

It is appropriate at all times to bow before Sri Guru Granth Sahib. Walk at a normal pace toward Sri Guru Granth Sahib with your hands in prayer thumbs to your sternum. You don't have to have a saintly or holier than though expression on your face. When you are about 3 feet from Guru Granth Sahib, first bow a little from the waist. Then get on your knees and touch your forehead to the floor. Stay there a few seconds. The get up. Facing Guru bow your head again. And then find a seat. That is all there is to it.

If there is a big line, you can take your short bow while in line. And then when it is your turn to kneel -- then you do that. It can get crowded sometimes.

Sometimes people take a seat immediately, and then they will bow touching their forehead to the floor from where they are sitting. But that won't work if the gurdwara is crowded.

So I hope this clears up any questions you have. Just remember that in Sikhism no one is there taking notes and doling out punishment. You can relax and be in an upbeat mood.

;)

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
I have a question! I converted to Sikhism almost 2 years ago and although I have visited the Gurdwara in this time I have never bowed to Sri Guru Granth Sahib. I can not fully explain why - I think that in the past I have always just thought (as an 'outsider') that it was inappropriate and a cultural thing. I want to know if there is a correct way to show your respect to Sri Guru Granth Sahib?

In context of bowing before the Lord, Guru Nanak, the first Guru of Sikhs has expressed
ਤੁਧਨੋ ਨਿਵਣੁ ਮੰਨਣੁ ਤੇਰਾ ਨਾਉ
Ŧuḏẖno niva mana erā nā▫o.
To place one's faith in Your Name Lord, is an actual true obeisance.
ਮਃ 1 SGGS 878

Same is applicable in context of Guru, without believing in and without following, bowing to Guru, remains a conditional ritual. Conversion should start with believing, if that is not there, conversion is a superficial satisfaction. If in a religion, spiritual progression is not a goal, it is just a token of acceptance of a group to be comfortable with. True Sikhs not only bow before Guru Granth Sahib but also surrender to Guru to live by Guru Teachings as well. Minds are more into own preferences, unless they are restrained, permanent happiness remains illusive, Choice is yours.:)

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
But....when you are looking at the entire prospect of gurdwara and what to do... it is actually a bit daunting or terrifying even. These are the question that rush around in one's head. What do you do? How? Will anyone be there to help me figure all this out? I do not speak Punjabi. Will I know what is going on? How? When? Why? What? Where?

It is not a small thing when you are just starting out. And there are so many questions and no one is there to guide you. :)

In a less inhibited moment, I might share exactly what I did Interested ji to get my own puzzles resolved. ;) Gurdwara is very very different from "going to church." And yet there are similarities too.

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
But....when you are looking at the entire prospect of gurdwara and what to do... it is actually a bit daunting or terrifying even. These are the question that rush around in one's head. What do you do? How? Will anyone be there to help me figure all this out? I do not speak Punjabi. Will I know what is going on? How? When? Why? What? Where?

It is not a small thing when you are just starting out. And there are so many questions and no one is there to guide you. :)

In a less inhibited moment, I might share exactly what I did Interested ji to get my own puzzles resolved. ;) Gurdwara is very very different from "going to church." And yet there are similarities too.

aad0002 ji
Religion grows up only in the heart, once the belief is built, in Gurdawara, bowing becomes simple and natural; but your bowing will be different than those who just copy others. Bowing is not that difficult to do, it is the mind’s purity behind it that counts. When I go, I don’t even look at others, my attention remains fixed on Guru to hear some thing for the day, some thing to change myself to be worthy of Guru, what others do, how they do, I absolutely do not pay attention. Of course, these are my own feelings I share. For a convert, strong faith is mandatory; bowing is not for others but a display of humbleness and readiness to learn to progress[/FONT]:)

aad0002 ji
Religion grows up only in the heart, once the belief is built, in Gurdawara, bowing becomes simple and natural; but your bowing will be different than those who just copy others. Bowing is not that difficult to do, it is the mind’s purity behind it that counts. When I go, I don’t even look at others, my attention remains fixed on Guru to hear some thing for the day, some thing to change myself to be worthy of Guru, what others do, how they do, I absolutely do not pay attention. Of course, these are my own feelings I share. For a convert, strong faith is mandatory; bowing is not for others but a display of humbleness and readiness to learn to progress[/FONT]:)

i usually do a hop, skip, jump followed by a reverse double split somersault before i land perfectly in a bowing position...i get nothing but perfect 10's across the board! :cool: and i am very hard to ignore especially if you get in my way! :D

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
i usually do a hop, skip, jump followed by a reverse double split somersault before i land perfectly in a bowing position...i get nothing but perfect 10's across the board! :cool: and i am very hard to ignore especially if you get in my way! :D

Don't anybody listen to him. :D

Interested

SPNer
May 31, 2007
London
Sinister ji, I have to say thank-you for putting asmile on my face!! Although I would like to convince myself that I have such agility, the truth is - I may take this advice with a pinch of salt!!

aad0002 ji, I feel that you understand what I am meaning. I have read Sri Guru Granth Sahib continually and have begun to learn japji Sahib in punjabi (of cause with an understanding of English translation). It is true that I keep coming back to the idea of surrounding myself with others with the same faith and this is so difficult. I am so unsure of what I am meant to do and am so afraid of my unworthiness - is that a normal feeling? Am I going crazy?

All in all, thank-you for your replies - they are truely appreciated.

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA

How can I ignore you doing all this during bowing Sinister ji? Certainly I cannot. May be that is why very rarely I go there
Would it distract me for long time? I doubt. I see all but observe only that for what I go. Believe it or not, it works.
Your sense of humor is definitely carries true merit, I must say.. I enjoyed it:)

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM