• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Controversial Belgium Decides To Ban The Burkha In Public

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Belgium Decides To Ban The Burkha In Public

Belgium Bans Burkhas In Public: Vote Almost Unaminous To Outlaw Muslim Veils In Public | World News | Sky News

<!-- SHARE -->Belgium is set to become the first ever country in Europe to ban the burkha being worn in public places.

Anyone wearing a burkha in Belgium could soon be fined or face a jail sentence

The vote in Parliamentfor a nationwide ban on Islamic clothes or veils that do not allow the wearer to be fully identified was almost unanimous.

The full-face niqab and burkha worn by some Muslim women are not a mandatory requirements of Islam, but a personal choice.

People found flouting the new law could be given a fine of 15-25 euros (£13-21) or even be faced with a week in jail.

Vice president of the Muslim Executive of Belgium, Isabelle Praile, warned that the new law could be the start of a slippery slope.

"Today it's the full-face veil, tomorrow the veil, the day after it will be Sikh turbans and then perhaps it will be mini-skirts."

She went on to say that "the wearing of a full-face veil is part of the individual freedoms" protected by Belgian, European and international rights laws.

Amnesty International also condemned the move saying: "A complete ban on the covering of the face would violate the rights to freedom of expression and religion of those women who wear the burkha or the niqab."

In France, president Nicholas Sarkozy has recently introduced a similar bill to ban the burkha - despite being advised that such a move could be unconstitutional.

The French law, which seems likely to get the go-ahead, will be decided on May 19.

The Belgium bill now goes to the senate for a 15-day period of review where any final objections can be heard, before being passed into law.

Attachments

• 15314719.jpg
    15314719.jpg
    21.5 KB · Reads: 1,871

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
As I see it one major difference between the burqa and our dastaar is the purpose. The burqa is designed to give the wearer complete anonymity, a sort of invisibility, while the Sikh turban is designed to make us stand out, make us even more visible. (Of course, one primary purpose of the turban is to protect the kes, but that is not relevant to this discussion.):happykaur:

No one can hide behind a turban, while anyone - woman or man - can hide inside a burqa. I think this might be one practical reason to ban it. Pretending it has something to do with a woman's rights is just incorrect. Banning the burqa will simply increase the chance that she won't [be allowed to] venture out, leaving her more likely to be isolated and actually encourage domestic mistreatment.:disgustedmunda:

We are, however, dealing with human beings and such logic is often lost on the unwashed masses of humanity who see the burqa and turban both as simply religious coverings and therefore equally offensive to the secular state. I'm afraid that this is the attitude we must contend with. :disguestedkudi:

On balance, I think I must agree that this law is the cliche slippery slope and would to the detriment of the Sikh community, as well as to the Muslim women.
:thinkingkudi:

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2009
While the Burqa and the Turban serve two different purposes in two different faiths I think that anyone should be able to practice their religion openly as long as it does not infringe upon the rights of others.

On another note, this law starts a scary precedent toward criminalizing the practice of your religion. It's not too far fetched too say that Sikh turbans could be next...

:happysingh:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
While the Burqa and the Turban serve two different purposes in two different faiths I think that anyone should be able to practice their religion openly as long as it does not infringe upon the rights of others.

On another note, this law starts a scary precedent toward criminalizing the practice of your religion. It's not too far fetched too say that Sikh turbans could be next...

:happysingh:

You noticed something that I have been missing all along. Thanks.

All along I have been looking at this as denial or infringement of expression of religion. It is that. But it is also a brand new chapter because it is moving "toward criminalizing" practice of religion. YES!!!! Yes, and on top of everything else. I needed this shock of realization today. I have been too laid back!

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
I have a question.

Is Burqa mandatory in Islam?
Does Quran mandate women to wear a Burqa?

We know that Quran is full of do's and don'ts rules unlike the SGGS.

Tejwant Singh

Feb 4, 2009
I have a question.

Is Burqa mandatory in Islam?
Does Quran mandate women to wear a Burqa?

We know that Quran is full of do's and don'ts rules unlike the SGGS.

Tejwant Singh

Based on my understanding, it is required by the Koran to dress modestly in public.

But, wearing a hijab or a burqa is not a religious requirement in Islam.

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
So, does this tradition of wearing a burqa breed repression or a freedom for a Muslim woman as it is not mandatory?

Are the Muslim men responsible behind this repression and suppression rather than Islam itself?

Feb 4, 2009
here is an exerct from this website

Many argue that the hijab is used as an instrument to control women's sexuality. There exist extremely negative attitudes, for example, which consider women who do not cover their hair as somehow "unchaste". Women are also advised to wear the hijab for their own protection against sexual harassment. This is really a sort of justification for sexual harassment if you don't wear the veil. This sexist argument holds that men are not at all responsible for their actions (reminiscent of how when rape victims go to court what they were wearing when they were raped is often scrutinised as if what they wore could some-how justify being raped).

The hijab is forced on women in many countries under the influence of Islam, either legally or under cultural and social pressure. In States where women have no civil rights whatsoever and are treated as subhuman, forcing women to wear the hijab or a much more extreme dress code is clearly used to subjugate and humiliate woman.

The women of RAWA (Revolutionary Association of the Women of Afghanistan) state:

"We will never allow the fundamentalists to define and decree what women should or should not wear. They have no right to impose the veil upon us. As far as we are concerned, we will NOT wear the veil as far as security and social discretion allow us, for we regard rejection of the veil as a symbolic form of resistance and defiance of the fundamentalists. To wear, or not to wear, the Islamic veil is a completely personal issue and no one has the right to interfere with this decision or impose the veil upon us".

So in short to answer your question, I think it is a misinterpretation of the Koran and the desire for Muslim men to gain control.

I find that the status of women in Islam is extremely low compared to the men in Islam...

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
If tomorrow someone says that patka is sign of oppression as majority of boys are forced to wear it and because of it they face harassment from other boys then what will sikhs do?

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Patkas is worn by youngsters BELOW AGE..and they can discard it as and when they like to ( as many do)
Burqa is worn by ADULTS.....who could say NO..but cant/dont....or not allowed to...

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Patkas is worn by youngsters BELOW AGE..and they can discard it as and when they like to ( as many do)
Burqa is worn by ADULTS.....who could say NO..but cant/dont....or not allowed to...

The main question here Why are western secularists are trying to judge that these women are oppressed if they choose it to wear it by their choice.I mentioned Patka because Any of this type of logic could be given in future for sikhs too.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Kanwarddep Singh ji

Agreed! However, the oppression of women is the f.arthest thing from their minds. This burqa affair is not about the cover-up of women but a convenient cover-up for hatred of foreigners, in particular immigrants. Economic and cultural reasons lie just below the surface. Strong nationalist currents are sweeping Europe, and the US and Canada, and the burqa is more connected to fears of Islam than to the oppression of Muslim women.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Kanwarddep Singh ji

Agreed! However, the oppression of women is the f.arthest thing from their minds. This burqa affair is not about the cover-up of women but a convenient cover-up for hatred of foreigners, in particular immigrants. Economic and cultural reasons lie just below the surface. Strong nationalist currents are sweeping Europe, and the US and Canada, and the burqa is more connected to fears of Islam than to the oppression of Muslim women.

Narayanjot ji

The burqa is not going to stop any muslim coming to their country.We all know muslims could go to any extent when they want to.

As far nationalist fear is concerned I agree with it.In India too migration of people from poor hindi speaking states to prosperous states is generating fear in the minds of locals.European birth rate is also quite low,they very well know that to do menial jobs at cheap rate they need workers.So cheap workers are also their need too O/W China is waiting to see that more industry from Europe and USA will go their

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM