• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Basics Of Sikhi

techsingh

SPNer
Jul 14, 2012
Midwest, USA
Had anyone watched his videos? Seems like he is promoting brahminism mixed with gurmat (things like dasma duar and etc)Watch the video below he says jesus and mohammad came to meet this baba.

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Had anyone watched his videos? Seems like he is promoting brahminism mixed with gurmat (things like dasma duar and etc)Watch the video below he says jesus and mohammad came to meet this baba.

Yes he is. In fact I talked to him via Google about it to no avail. He believes in Dehdhari sants, Hell, Heaven, reincarnation among many other non- Sikhi things which is not only sad but dangerous because he has a Hindutva mindset in a Sikhi baana. As they say, it is easy to look like a Sikh than become one.

These kinds of people who seek self promotion with Manmat ideas are the real danger to Sikhi because of their exposure through YouTube.

We also have a few members here like him, sad to say. They know who they are.

techsingh

SPNer
Jul 14, 2012
Midwest, USA
Yes he is. In fact I talked to him via Google about it to no avail. He believes in Dehdhari sants, Hell, Heaven, reincarnation among many other non- Sikhi things which is not only sad but dangerous because he has a Hindutva mindset in a Sikhi baana. As they say, it is easy to look like a Sikh than become one.

These kinds of people who seek self promotion with Manmat ideas are the real danger to Sikhi because of their exposure through YouTube.

We also have a few members here like him, sad to say. They know who they are.

Thats what I figured he is promoting Hindutva sugarcoating it with little bit of gurmat and confusing people. Watched few of his street parchar videos its really sad that such effort is being wasted by promoting what our Gurus fought against. Rituals,reincarnation,parroting,so called sants, hell, heavan etc.

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
Thats what I figured he is promoting Hindutva sugarcoating it with little bit of gurmat and confusing people. Watched few of his street parchar videos its really sad that such effort is being wasted by promoting what our Gurus fought against. Rituals,reincarnation,parroting,so called sants, hell, heavan etc.

You mentioned specifically the "dasma duar" ...

by this, do you mean the Dassam Duar? the tenth Gate?
Do you think the Dassam Duar is brahminism?

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
Do you think Sre Guru Amar Das Ji is wrongfully promoting brahminism below? He Talks of the Dassam Duar..

Center your awareness on seva-selfless service-and focus your consciousness on the Word of the Shabad.

Subduing your ego, you shall find a lasting peace, and your emotional attachment to Maya will be dispelled. ||1||
I am a sacrifice, my soul is a sacrifice, I am totally devoted to the True Guru.

Through the Guru's Teachings, the Divine Light has dawned; I sing the Glorious Praises of the Lord, night and day. ||1||Pause||
Search your body and mind, and find the Name.
Restrain your wandering mind, and keep it in check.

Night and day, sing the Songs of the Guru's Bani; worship the Lord with intuitive devotion. ||2||
Within this body are countless objects.
The Gurmukh attains Truth, and comes to see them.
Beyond the nine gates, the Tenth Gate is found, and liberation is obtained. The Unstruck Melody of the Shabad vibrates. ||3||
True is the Master, and True is His Name.
By Guru's Grace, He comes to dwell within the mind.

Full Shabad: SikhiToTheMAX - Enabling Gurmat Knowledge

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
And What about Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji...is he also wrongfully promoting brahminism below. He also mentions Dassam Duar... I have highlighted some of the shabad for you..

The union of air, water and fire
the body is the play-thing of the fickle and unsteady intellect.
It has nine doors, and then there is the Tenth Gate.
Reflect upon this and understand it, O wise one. ||1||

The Lord is the One who speaks, teaches and listens.
One who contemplates his own self is truly wise. ||1||Pause||
The body is dust; the wind speaks through it.

Understand, O wise one, who has died.
Awareness, conflict and ego have died,
ut the One who sees does not die. ||2||
For the sake of it, you journey to sacred shrines and holy rivers;

but this priceless jewel is within your own heart.
The Pandits, the religious scholars, read and read endlessly; they stir up arguments and controversies,
but they do not know the secret deep within. ||3||

I have not died - that evil nature within me has died.
The One who is pervading everywhere does not die.
Says Nanak, the Guru has revealed God to me,
and now I see that there is no such thing as birth or death.

Please be careful what you call Brahminism...
The human Body is the same for everyone...The same secrets of the human body belong to everyone, no matter what religion or belief structure...
Dassam Duar exists...The body is the temple and the gateway to Waheguru...everything is there, in your body ready to be explored and discovered with the Aid of Guru Shabad

God Bless...hope this helps you understad that Dassam Duar is universal,

techsingh

SPNer
Jul 14, 2012
Midwest, USA
Am not calling hindus bad by no means they have the right to do as they please and everyone else.
Yes. Endless chanting is bramhanism which is against Gurmat. You took a literal meaing of the shabad. Post the gurmukhi version. I think guru ji is implying that you should Listen to the truth, live the truth, speak the truth then your "dasam duar"will open. Its just terminology guru used to explain things to a hindu mindset.

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
Am not calling hindus bad by no means they have the right to do as they please and everyone else.
Yes. Endless chanting is bramhanism which is against Gurmat. You took a literal meaing of the shabad. Post the gurmukhi version. I think guru ji is implying that you should Listen to the truth, live the truth, speak the truth then your "dasam duar"will open. Its just terminology guru used to explain things to a hindu mindset.

Then don't endlessly chant...
i don;t think i've ever heard basics of sikhi tell anyone to endlessly Chant anything...

If i told you to stop telling your family that you 'love' them....would you stop? why should you stop...
If you feel the love, then why wouldn't you tell them...and express it with words and actions?

In the same way, people speak Shabad...and meditate on Shabad because they feel the explosion of love inside them, and then their mouths utter "waheguru" or whatever...
they can also serve humanity with that same feeling and devotion and love...because Waheguru is in all.
Why not do both? server humanity...like you said "live the truth" .... the truth being, that everything is Waheguru and beyond...
Why not go within and meditate on Waheguru...and let Him pull you within, deep inside yourself where you become aware of Him... :)

We should be happy people are talking of Waheguru...and looking for Him, Seeking Him, rather than picking fault at every little thing...

Just my opinion...

God Bless

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012

One more thing ji...

Beauty of Gurbani is, that if you put into practice...you can prove to yourself what is real and what isn't...

Gur Ji says, come and find out for yourself...then you will know if Dassam Duar or anything else is true... :)

Kully

SPNer
Jan 3, 2016
I think guru ji is implying that you should Listen to the truth, live the truth, speak the truth then your "dasam duar"will open. Its just terminology guru used to explain things to a hindu mindset.

Listening to, living to and speaking the truth have nothing to do with dasam dwar. They are to do with body conscience. The dasam dwar is a spiritual conscience.

Guru Granth Sahib teaches:

Saarang, Fifth Mehla:
Now I am rid of my skepticism and sorrow.
I have abandoned and forsaken all other efforts, and come to the Sanctuary of the True Guru. ||1||Pause||
I have attained total perfection, and all my works are perfectly completed; the illness of egotism has been totally eradicated.
Millions of sins are destroyed in an instant; meeting with the Guru,
I chant the Name of the Lord, Har, Har. ||1||
Subduing the five thieves, he Guru has made them my slaves; my mind has become stable and steady and fearless.
It does not come or go in reincarnation; it does not waver or wander anywhere. O Nanak, my empire is eternal. ||2||24||47||

Chanting the name of the Lord is not brahmanism.

Kully

SPNer
Jan 3, 2016
Had anyone watched his videos? Seems like he is promoting brahminism mixed with gurmat

I like his videos. He is a very educated sikh and although he does not come across as elegant or deliver with a panache, in his talks, he does give the core message that can be understood by many.

Could you please elaborate on what brahmanism he is promoting please Sir?

Original

Writer
SPNer
Jan 9, 2011
London UK
Hi Chaz - hope all is well !

I've copy paste for you and techsingh the following shabd, which I feel is relevant to the discussion at hand. Equally, I'm mindful of the views and verdicts of others and mean no disrespect.

Special attention is drawn to the large font corresponding the colour text !

Enjoy -

ਮਾਝ ਮਹਲਾ ੩ [mahalla 3]

ਇਸੁ ਗੁਫਾ ਮਹਿ ਅਖੁਟ ਭੰਡਾਰਾ ॥ Within this cave, there is an inexhaustible treasure

ਤਿਸੁ ਵਿਚਿ ਵਸੈ ਹਰਿ ਅਲਖ ਅਪਾਰਾ ॥ Within this cave, the Invisible and Infinite Lord abides.

ਆਪੇ ਗੁਪਤੁ ਪਰਗਟੁ ਹੈ ਆਪੇ ਗੁਰ ਸਬਦੀ ਆਪੁ ਵੰਞਾਵਣਿਆ ॥੧॥ He Himself is hidden, and He Himself is revealed; through the Word of the Guru's Shabad, selfishness and conceit are eliminated. ||1||

ਹਉ ਵਾਰੀ ਜੀਉ ਵਾਰੀ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਨਾਮੁ ਮੰਨਿ ਵਸਾਵਣਿਆ ॥ I am a sacrifice, my soul is a sacrifice, to those who enshrine the Ambrosial Naam, the Name of the Lord, within their minds.

ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਨਾਮੁ ਮਹਾ ਰਸੁ ਮੀਠਾ ਗੁਰਮਤੀ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਪੀਆਵਣਿਆ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ
The taste of the Ambrosial Naam is very sweet! Through the Guru's Teachings, drink in this Ambrosial Nectar. ||1||Pause||

ਹਉਮੈ ਮਾਰਿ ਬਜਰ ਕਪਾਟ ਖੁਲਾਇਆ ॥ Subduing egotism, the rigid doors are opened.

ਨਾਮੁ ਅਮੋਲਕੁ ਗੁਰ ਪਰਸਾਦੀ ਪਾਇਆ ॥ The Priceless Naam is obtained by Guru's Grace.

ਬਿਨੁ ਸਬਦੈ ਨਾਮੁ ਨ ਪਾਏ ਕੋਈ ਗੁਰ ਕਿਰਪਾ ਮੰਨਿ ਵਸਾਵਣਿਆ ॥੨॥ Without the Shabad, the Naam is not By Guru's Grace, it is implanted within the mind. ||2||

ਗੁਰ ਗਿਆਨ ਅੰਜਨੁ ਸਚੁ ਨੇਤ੍ਰੀ ਪਾਇਆ ॥ The Guru has applied the true ointment of spiritual wisdom to my eyes.

ਅੰਤਰਿ ਚਾਨਣੁ ਅਗਿਆਨੁ ਅੰਧੇਰੁ ਗਵਾਇਆ ॥ Deep within, the Divine Light has dawned, and the darkness of ignorance has been dispelled

ਜੋਤੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਮਿਲੀ ਮਨੁ ਮਾਨਿਆ ਹਰਿ ਦਰਿ ਸੋਭਾ ਪਾਵਣਿਆ ॥੩॥ My light has merged into the Light;
my mind has surrendered, and I am blessed with Glory in the Court of the Lord. ||3||

ਸਰੀਰਹੁ ਭਾਲਣਿ ਕੋ ਬਾਹਰਿ ਜਾਏ ॥ Those who look outside the body, searching for the Lord,

ਨਾਮੁ ਨ ਲਹੈ ਬਹੁਤੁ ਵੇਗਾਰਿ ਦੁਖੁ ਪਾਏ ॥ shall not receive the Naam; they shall instead be forced to suffer the terrible pains of slavery.

ਮਨਮੁਖ ਅੰਧੇ ਸੂਝੈ ਨਾਹੀ ਫਿਰਿ ਘਿਰਿ ਆਇ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਵਥੁ ਪਾਵਣਿਆ ॥੪॥ The blind, self-willed manmukhs do not understand; but when they return once again to their own home, then, as Gurmukh, they find the genuine article. ||4||

ਗੁਰ ਪਰਸਾਦੀ ਸਚਾ ਹਰਿ ਪਾਏ ॥ ਮਨਿ ਤਨਿ ਵੇਖੈ ਹਉਮੈ ਮੈਲੁ ਜਾਏ ॥ By Guru's Grace, the True Lord is found
Within your mind and body, see the Lord, and the filth of egotism shall depart.

ਬੈਸਿ ਸੁਥਾਨਿ ਸਦ ਹਰਿ ਗੁਣ ਗਾਵੈ ਸਚੈ ਸਬਦਿ ਸਮਾਵਣਿਆ ॥੫॥ Sitting in that place, sing the Glorious Praises of the Lord forever, and be absorbed in the True Word of the Shabad. ||5||

ਨਉ ਦਰ ਠਾਕੇ ਧਾਵਤੁ ਰਹਾਏ ॥ Those who close off the nine gates, and restrain the wandering mind,

ਦਸਵੈ ਨਿਜ ਘਰਿ ਵਾਸਾ ਪਾਏ ॥ come to dwell in the Home of the Tenth Gate.

ਓਥੈ ਅਨਹਦ ਸਬਦ ਵਜਹਿ ਦਿਨੁ ਰਾਤੀ ਗੁਰਮਤੀ ਸਬਦੁ ਸੁਣਾਵਣਿਆ ॥੬॥ There, the Unstruck Melody of the Shabad vibrates day and night. Through the Guru's Teachings, the Shabad is heard. ||6||

ਬਿਨੁ ਸਬਦੈ ਅੰਤਰਿ ਆਨੇਰਾ ॥ Without the Shabad, there is only darkness within.

ਨ ਵਸਤੁ ਲਹੈ ਨ ਚੂਕੈ ਫੇਰਾ ॥ The genuine article is not found, and the cycle of reincarnation does not end.

ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਹਥਿ ਕੁੰਜੀ ਹੋਰਤੁ ਦਰੁ ਖੁਲੈ ਨਾਹੀ ਗੁਰੁ ਪੂਰੈ ਭਾਗਿ ਮਿਲਾਵਣਿਆ II The key is in the hands of the True Guru; no one else can open this door. By perfect destiny, He is met. ||7||

ਗੁਪਤੁ ਪਰਗਟੁ ਤੂੰ ਸਭਨੀ ਥਾਈ ॥ You are the hidden and the revealed in all places.

ਗੁਰ ਪਰਸਾਦੀ ਮਿਲਿ ਸੋਝੀ ਪਾਈ ॥ Receiving Guru's Grace, this understanding is obtained.

ਨਾਨਕ ਨਾਮੁ ਸਲਾਹਿ ਸਦਾ ਤੂੰ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਮੰਨਿ ਵਸਾਵਣਿਆ ॥੮॥੨੪॥੨੫॥ {ਪੰਨਾ 124} O Nanak, praise the Naam forever; as Gurmukh, enshrine it within the mind. ||8||24||25||

Goodnight n Godbless

techsingh

SPNer
Jul 14, 2012
Midwest, USA
Hi Chaz - hope all is well !

I've copy paste for you and techsingh the following shabd, which I feel is relevant to the discussion at hand. Equally, I'm mindful of the views and verdicts of others and mean no disrespect.

Special attention is drawn to the large font corresponding the colour text !

Enjoy -

ਮਾਝ ਮਹਲਾ ੩ [mahalla 3]

ਦਸਵੈ ਨਿਜ ਘਰਿ ਵਾਸਾ ਪਾਏ ॥ come to dwell in the Home of the Tenth Gate.

Goodnight n Godbless

Again your taking literal meaning of the shabad. This is not my understanding of it.

techsingh

SPNer
Jul 14, 2012
Midwest, USA
I like his videos. He is a very educated sikh and although he does not come across as elegant or deliver with a panache, in his talks, he does give the core message that can be understood by many.

Could you please elaborate on what brahmanism he is promoting please Sir?

Reincarnation, heaven, hell, sants and etc. mostly i think because people take literal meanings and don't understand
ਮੁਹਾਵਰੇ.

techsingh

SPNer
Jul 14, 2012
Midwest, USA
Listening to, living to and speaking the truth have nothing to do with dasam dwar. They are to do with body conscience. The dasam dwar is a spiritual conscience.

Guru Granth Sahib teaches:

Saarang, Fifth Mehla:
Now I am rid of my skepticism and sorrow.
I have abandoned and forsaken all other efforts, and come to the Sanctuary of the True Guru. ||1||Pause||
I have attained total perfection, and all my works are perfectly completed; the illness of egotism has been totally eradicated.
Millions of sins are destroyed in an instant; meeting with the Guru,
I chant the Name of the Lord, Har, Har. ||1||
Subduing the five thieves, he Guru has made them my slaves; my mind has become stable and steady and fearless.
It does not come or go in reincarnation; it does not waver or wander anywhere. O Nanak, my empire is eternal. ||2||24||47||

Chanting the name of the Lord is not brahmanism.

Its your understanding of the shabad not mine. Living the truth is higher. My understanding of dasam duar is that it means peace of mind, happiness. Its just terminology used by guru ji to explain things to hindu, yogi type of mindset.

techsingh

SPNer
Jul 14, 2012
Midwest, USA
One more thing ji...

Beauty of Gurbani is, that if you put into practice...you can prove to yourself what is real and what isn't...

Gur Ji says, come and find out for yourself...then you will know if Dassam Duar or anything else is true... :)

Exactly but my definition of dasam duar from a gurmat prespective is not same as yours. For me it means peace of mind, happiness by practcing gurbani. I think key to understanding gurbani is that you must understand ਮੁਹਾਵਰੇ idioms.

techsingh

SPNer
Jul 14, 2012
Midwest, USA
Another member here on spn findingmyway explaind the meaning of tenth gate very well i think
"The dasam dwar is not mystical but refers to the brain. The brain is the site of consciousness, integrating physical and emotional information and controlling how we behave both physically, morally and spiritually. Therefore the brain is the door to our consciousness. The Guru's always tried to make everything accessible to all regardless of their background so it doesn't make sense that such an important door should be so mysterious. Without a brain, spirituality cannot be accessed so we all have a dasam dwar. However, the choice is whether to open it to spirituality and a Sikh way of life."

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Its your understanding of the shabad not mine. Living the truth is higher. My understanding of dasam duar is that it means peace of mind, happiness. Its just terminology used by guru ji to explain things to hindu, yogi type of mindset.

I have always felt the same, is there anyone that feels substantially different? Is the Dasam Duar no more than the peaking of the state of Naam?

Kully

SPNer
Jan 3, 2016
Reincarnation, heaven, hell, sants and etc. mostly i think because people take literal meanings and don't understand
ਮੁਹਾਵਰੇ.

Sir, reincarnation is not exclusive to brahmanism. Heaven and hell are abrahamic concepts, which are rigid. Heaven and hell in Gurmat is not rigid, they are not permanent abodes. Neither are they exclusively brahmanism.

Guru Granth Sahib tells and warns us about heaven and hell, and not in a metaphorical or literal sense. There are many lines where "narak" is mentioned. How could such a warning of a metaphorical or literal hell make sense?

Similarly, Guru Granth Sahib tells us about reincarnation. repeatedly. And not in a metaphorical or literal sense either. But in actual practice. Again these are not exclusively Brahman concepts. They may be, along with other concepts in Gurmat be shared or found , partially or in totalility, in other belief systems, but to say that these concepts may not have any place with Gurmat, because they are found elsewhere seems a little on the preposterous side.

Kully

SPNer
Jan 3, 2016
I have always felt the same, is there anyone that feels substantially different? Is the Dasam Duar no more than the peaking of the state of Naam?

Sir, do you feel there is a "peaking" of Naam? I would assert that Naam as is Waheguru, is ever-expanding.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM