• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Baba Virsa Singh : Fakir Attracts Huge Birthday Crowds

Jun 1, 2004
Fakir attracts huge birthday crowds
Sunday 20 February 2005, 10:43 Makka Time, 7:43 GMT

A Russian politician is among those travelling to meet
Singh

Thousands are flocking to the northern Indian
farmlands of Gadaipur on the outskirts of New Delhi
for spiritual fulfillment at the feet of a rustic
Punjabi-speaking Indian mystic who dispenses tea and
wisdom.

Baba Virsa Singh, known to his followers as Maharaj or
Babaji, is hosting a conference on the "spiritual
approach to peace and resolving terrorism" at his
sprawling ashram, or spiritual home, to mark his
birthday on Sunday.

Russian opposition leader Sergei Glaziev is among
those attending the event, which began on Thursday.

Organisers believe that in the coming days about
15,000 people will join the celebrations.

Religious leaders, teachers, government officials,
students and business people from all over the world
including Bhai Mohan Singh, the founder of India's top
drugs company Ranbaxy Pharmaceuticals, are scheduled
to attend.

Among those already there are Indian parliamentarian
and Kashmir royal Karan Singh, a prominent Hindu
leader Ashok Singhal and Saudi Arabia-based Muslim
preacher Muhammad Rafiq Shariq Warsi.

Background

Singh was born to a poor family in the northern Indian
farming state of Punjab. He refused school and then
marriage, preferring to meditate. He found devotees at
a young age.

In the 1960s Singh founded an ashram or spiritual home
in Gadaipur to receive followers.

"In April 1966, a disciple gifted him seven acres
(three hectares) of land. There was this massive
wilderness over which we trekked with boulders and
bricks building outhouses and halls," said Promilla
Chand, a philosophy lecturer.

"Babaji fed us dry chapattis (bread) and love while we
built the ashram with our own hands. Today, we have
added 70 acres of land to the original piece and look
at what a paradise it is with wheat fields, a dairy
and orchards," she added.

Landowner

Singh now presides over thousands of acres of farmland
on the outskirts of Delhi and Uttar Pradesh which
sustains the commune.

"Babaji's crops grow very tall. He talks to his plants
and finds out what they need. Once he found out that
the soil was deficient in zinc so he gave them zinc
and they thrived," said disciple Churchill S Chaddha,
a Delhi-based exporter.

The Russians, meanwhile, are convinced that not only
plants reveal their mysteries to him, but so does the
universe.

"In 1989, he visited Russia and predicted the break-up
of the Soviet Union on national television. That is
exactly what happened in 1991. I am lucky to be here
to learn about Indian spirituality from this grand old
man," said Yuriy Ageshin, president of the Russian
Chamber of Law.

Modest miracle

Singh himself said he only knew of one miracle.

"Don't you think it is a miracle that all these wise
men and women have come to listen to an illiterate
country bumpkin?" he said laughing.

"Life is a mystery to me. But as a farmer I like to
turn "bekar" (useless) land productive, if I can help
people be more productive then that is good too."

ballym

SPNer
May 19, 2006
Found this intersting piece of lawyer authenticated fact which cannot be refuted.... I guess.

scribd.com/ doc/11877302/Bulletin-1-2003

It states that bhai Virsa Singh group tried to claim that they got the bad references to our Guruji removed from NCERT books.
I do not say that This goup has not done anything good but the motives seem tainted and their following remain limited .... to russia.

May 24, 2008
Baba Virsa Singh was a hench man of RSS who was alloted 50 crores ( out of total allocation of 100 crores by AB Vajayee Govt ) during 1999 Tri- Centenary Celebrations of Khalsa Panth by Badal Government for PROPAGATING THE MESSAGE OF DASHAM GRANTH . Any wonder why this Dasham Granth Controversy took roots in last 10 years ?

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
How can the grip of Baba Virsa Singh be explained to someone like me -- not born into an Indian or a Sikh family? It is completely amazing that he has such a grip on the loyalties of so many . It is beyond loyalty and seems to be almost a case of mass hypnosis.

I am continually amazed by this. His secret life is no secret at all.

His pronouncements regarding Sikh concepts, scriptures, meanings dominate consciousness. How did this start? How did it continue? Why does it persist?

If anyone can respond, it would make for some excellent insights into Sikhism as it evolved in India and in the 20 Century.

Hardip Singh

SPNer
Jan 14, 2009
Originally Posted by ballym
Found this intersting piece of lawyer authenticated fact which cannot be refuted.... I guess.

scribd.com/ doc/11877302/Bulletin-1-2003

It states that bhai Virsa Singh group tried to claim that they got the bad references to our Guruji removed from NCERT books.
I do not say that This goup has not done anything good but the motives seem tainted and their following remain limited .... to russia.

Sorry to say, its not the fact. The matter remains as such. Moreover, how his sect could even be called Sikh, when they are basic beliver and followers of Baba Srichand (Guru Nanak Sahibs son) who was a staunch udassi. Till date they do havan and all those udassi acts at their HQ in Gadipur in Delhi. Forthem, Baba's Dhunni , havan, paths of Jaap Sahib and Hanuman Chalisa comes first than bowing before SGGS jee.
Moreover, as far as His followers are concerned they are basically Jaats and retd. army personal who had big land holdings and had a big army of land grabbers. All the land around their Ashram in Gadipur as well as in UP is from land grabbing only and nothing else. They are the people who initiated the DG controversy with the staunch help from RSS and others.

ballym

SPNer
May 19, 2006
I guess you misinterpreted my point. If you are talking about reference to sikhs in NCERT books then as per the article quoted by me, the reference to SIKHS was entirely removed. There has been efforts by officilas to somehow malign sikhs and included in text books. But htat is not the main issue here.
The article also has interesting reveletion about Dasam granth controversy and gives credence to popular belief that officials are interested in raking up dasam granth issue. It shows who are really colluding with govt. and who are really worried about religious identity. Efforts of different english and Indian Historians to write different versions also emphasize the fact that there are people interested in increasing their members by ANY means... Kautilaya Politics of Saaam Daam Dand Bhed.
It is a fact of life....
The need is to take action and be aware. And there goes a famous saying... Attack is best defence.
But the attak can not be physical. It has to be political.
Expose caste system, poverty, infighting. Assert your economic rights as a state. Any justified movement can not be stopped and rulers have to cave -in.
Most important point is to be JUSTIFIED and remain JUSTIFIED. The movement leaders should not have minor motives of money or fame.
We need to inspire youth to initiate and carry the move.
I am sure that drugs supply to Punjaab youth is also being done with a bigger motive to keep them away from thinking on these issues.
Look at Batala Incident . Coversions, magical healing at those christian meetings... it is the best and low-cost effective way to get conversions.
As I said earlier, we need leaders to inspire people. An inspired population can achieve anything. It may be GOOD or BAD. Look at Nov. 1984... people were inspired... in a destructive way... and they did what nobody on earth could think.​

ballym

SPNer
May 19, 2006
Originally Posted by Narayanjot Kaur
I am continually amazed by this. His secret life is no secret at all.

His pronouncements regarding Sikh concepts, scriptures, meanings dominate consciousness. How did this start? How did it continue? Why does it persist?

It is only on forums and in literate population that we have some idea of bigger picture. Another scenario is that he may have started as a simple preacher of idea of oneness... all religion are one. It is a nice idea.
I would like to start one in Canada!!!
BUT, other people who have ulterior motives may have seen an opportunity to propagate their own agenda.
general Population in India, including so called degree holder educated people are still very simple.
[Education in India does not promote independent thinking. This is another topic about McCaulay Education policy!!
yes3.gif
]
They see a place to go and chant, they go.Especially, sikhs go everywhere as their religion never preaches for banishing other faiths or promoting our own faith at the cost of others.
In my opinion, it is a case of motivated people using every opportunity to propagate their cause and everyone wants to take credit of doing great things.
I am sure that if I start a center like that here, someone might see an oppotunity. Here also in our Gurudwaras, people see opportunity to promote their own interests.
Once again, I would say, we should look at ourselves.. what are we doing ourselves.Instead of community reach and leadership, we ae busy taking control of Gurudwaras.
Do we have a single Gurudwara committee or organisation of sikhs here or anywhere? We have too many people claiming to be leaders.
Which way our youth should look?

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Originally Posted by ballym
It is only on forums and in literate population that we have some idea of bigger picture. Another scenario is that he may have started as a simple preacher of idea of oneness... all religion are one. It is a nice idea.
I would like to start one in Canada!!!

ROFL.GIF
ROFL.GIF
ROFL.GIF
ROFL.GIF
ROFL.GIF
by Narayanjot Kaur

BUT, other people who have ulterior motives may have seen an opportunity to propagate their own agenda.
general Population in India, including so called degree holder educated people are still very simple.

[Education in India does not promote independent thinking. This is another topic about McCaulay Education policy!!
yes3.gif
]

Yes - and even in countries where independent thinking is promoted, there is no real appreciation for it.
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
Speaking only from a US perspective, we have our own collection of Baba's in nearly every religious denomination. They have TV programs, and are rolling in cash.

They see a place to go and chant, they go.Especially, sikhs go everywhere as their religion never preaches for banishing other faiths or promoting our own faith at the cost of others.
In my opinion, it is a case of motivated people using every opportunity to propagate their cause and everyone wants to take credit of doing great things.

Baba Virsa Singh has a very sophisticated operation it seems. So he is no ordinary Baba. We really need to start a thread on how sophisticated it all is. And how attractive it is.

I am sure that if I start a center like that here, someone might see an oppotunity. Here also in our Gurudwaras, people see opportunity to promote their own interests.
Once again, I would say, we should look at ourselves.. what are we doing ourselves.Instead of community reach and leadership, we ae busy taking control of Gurudwaras.

I think you are saying that, with some brilliant social engineering by the babas, a huge gap, a gaping hole in social consciousness, was filled. And it looks so noble that many people have lost their ability to think critically. Then they fall prey to the babas' schemes.

Do we have a single Gurudwara committee or organisation of sikhs here or anywhere? We have too many people claiming to be leaders.
Which way our youth should look?

I just want to point out that Baba Virsa Singh's operations and operatives are also influential and active in the US.

Your answers are very insightful. I am still however perplexed.

ballym

SPNer
May 19, 2006
Re: Baba Virsa Singh

Baba Virsa Singh has a very sophisticated operation it seems. So he is no ordinary Baba. We really need to start a thread on how sophisticated it all is. And how attractive it is.
He may be well meaning himself but.....
In my view, a movement like Baba Virsa singh starts with noble ideas but most often degenerates at some stage during lifetime or after.
It is again a function of mental state and real susbstance in it. Bhagwan Rajneesh also had similar rise and fall.
yes, there are gaps in society needs which are open for exploitation
Even Baba Ji may not know how his popularity is being misused( it is just a possibility). The opportunistic behaviour in NCERT reference case, having support of all governments, russian connection... it all points to possibility of a motive.

I have a question..... Does true Guru allow his/ her birthday to be celebrated during his lifetime? if yes,why?

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Virsa singh was a lecher. He had a kind of harem in his Ashram. There was a thread in this forum where we discussed him earlier and I told his story. He called my Mum's cousin his sister and used to visit her house in South Extension quite frequently where I met him the first time in 1986 and he invited me to his Ashram. I need the help of the administrators' to locate that thread.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Virsa singh was a lecher. He had a kind of harem in his Ashram. There was a thread in this forum where we discussed him earlier and I told his story. He called my Mum's cousin his sister and used to visit her house in South Extension quite frequently where I met him the first time in 1986 and he invited me to his Ashram. I need the help of the administrators' to locate that thread.

I remember the thread and I cannot find it.
Both Aman Singh ji and I have searched under Titles and Tags and on Google - no luck Tejwant ji. Did it have a particular title? Because I do remember this.

Hardip Singh

SPNer
Jan 14, 2009
I have attached one of the snaps taken by me at Gobind Sadan in New Delhi where a continuous havan is going on for years and interestingly the bani being recited on this havan is Jaap Sahib and hanuman Chalisa. Now, SPN'ers can decide which Sikhi they are following.

bhai_virsa_singh_havan.jpg

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
I remember the thread and I cannot find it.
Both Aman Singh ji and I have searched under Titles and Tags and on Google - no luck Tejwant ji. Did it have a particular title? Because I do remember this.

Narayanjot ji,

Guru fateh.

I tried to search it myself for about 45 mins and had no result. That's why I asked for your help. I do not remember the name of the thread but the name Virsa Singh should have brought something. Nothing popped up.

Tejwant Singhh

Hardip Singh

SPNer
Jan 14, 2009
And what are they trying to achieve... devi pargat or what? :eek:

I also failed to understand their theory on this Havan. They says its Baba Shrichand jee's akhand jyot of which Virsa Singh was an ardent follower. They break cocnuts into the havan and offer ardass for some one over there. Also, one thing very strange I found there was of their doing CHOR every where , even at havan and in open Varandah outside , while doing the Jaap etc.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: