• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Attitude Of Gratitude

vsgrewal48895

Writer
SPNer
Mar 12, 2009
Michigan
ATTITUDE OF GRATITUDE

ABSTRACT

Gratitude makes us feel like we have enough and the one who knows enough is enough will always have enough. Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others. Gratitude is the response of the receiver of the gift and you are worthy of all you receive. Gratitude births only positive feelings- love, compassion, joy and hope melting away fear, anger and, bitterness. Attitude is a complex mental state involving beliefs and feelings and values and dispositions to act in certain ways and affects the choice that one makes. Attitude of gratitude takes the individual one step further as one progress in spirituality under Lord’s Grace;

ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਕ੍ਰਿਪਾ ਕਰੀ ਜਗਦੀਸਰਿ ਦੁਰਮਤਿ ਦੂਜਾ ਭਾਉ ਗਇਓ ਸਭ ਝਾਕ
Har har kirpā karī jagīsar urmaūjā bā¬o ga¬i¬o sab jāk.

The Akal Purkh Har, Har, has shown me Its Mercy, and my evil-mindedness, love of duality and sense of alienation are totally gone, thanks to the Creator of the Universe.
-----Guru Ramdas, Raag Kanrha, AGGS, Page, 1295-10
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Attitude of gratitude creates happiness because it makes us feel full and, complete. It is the realization that we have every thing we need, at least in this moment. Gratitude is the fairest blossom which springs from the conscience. It is the highest appreciation, which cannot be uttered in words, but to live in. God willing (ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ) always show gratitude and are pleasing to the Lord unlike self willed (ਮਨਮੁਖਿ) performing showy rituals as expressed by Guru Nanak in Raag Majh;

ਮਨਮੁਖ ਲੂਣ ਹਾਰਾਮ ਕਿਆ ਨ ਜਾਣਿਆ ਬਧੇ ਕਰਨਿ ਸਲਾਮ ਖਸਮ ਨ ਭਾਣਿਆ ਸਚੁ ਮਿਲੈ ਮੁਖਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਭਾਵਸੀ ਕਰਸਨਿ ਤਖਤਿ ਸਲਾਮੁ ਲਿਖਿਆ ਪਾਵਸੀ
Manmukh Loon Haraam Kiyaa Na Jania, Badeh Karan Salam Khasam Na Bhaniya. Sac milai muk nām sāhib bāvsī. Karsan aka salām liki­ā pāvsī.

The Manmukh are false to them selves; they feel no gratitude for what they have been given. Those who merely perform rituals of worship are not pleasing to their God and Master. Those who attain the True Akal Purkh and chant Its Name are pleasing to the It. They worship It and bow at Its Throne. They fulfill their pre-ordained destiny.
-----Guru Nanak, Var Majh, AGGS, Page, 143-4

Joy is defined as an emotion evoked by well-being, success or good fortune or by the prospect of possessing whatever one desires. While gratitude is the state of being appreciative of benefits received. As we experience the mental sunshine of gratitude; we begin to glow and our lives are full of people who want to be around us because we exude peacefulness, happiness and joy.

Positive emotions like gratitude and love are beneficial to health through the release of endorphins in the blood stream. Conversely, negative emotions such as worry, anger and, hopelessness contribute to high levels of adrenaline leading to stroke and heart disease.
Gratitude brings you back at the present moment now. When we see the glass half full rather than half empty, we notice what is there rather than dwelling on what is not there. Gratitude is an inner light we can use to illuminate our conscience. When we feel the fullness of gratitude, we accept (ਭਾਣਾ) life as it is. You cannot experience gratitude with a closed heart. The more you feel grateful, the stronger is the impulse toward giving. And the more you give, the more you get-love, friendship, a sense of purpose and accomplishment, even some times material wealth. Thus gratitude also gives birth to a fiercely loving environmentalism. Some people find moments of transcendence trough meditation, others in nature, still others when making love.

Life is both wonderful and dreadful and some times we have forgotten the miracle of being alive. We should learn to count on today, love and, trust of our friends. In some ways our attitude determines every thing, because they are the glasses through which we see the world. Our attitudes have the ability to enable or disable us. Gratitude is the response of the receiver of the gift and you are worthy of all you receive.

Bernard Shaw writes that people always blame their circumstances for what they are. He says further that he does not believe in circumstances. The people who get on in this world are the people who get up and look for circumstances they want and if they cannot find them, they create them.

To stand in line and waiting used to be waste of time for unnecessary aggravation to me. Now I think it is a wonderful opportunity to slow down and appreciate the creation.

Retroactive gratitude- realizing after some thing is over or some one is gone makes me feel to really appreciate what I have, but wasn’t aware of it until it was gone. The list what we might have taken for granted is endless. Regret is a poison that keeps us in the past. Thus gratitude is a natural response to the miracle of life as we experience it from moment to moment by living in the present.

If you haven’t got all the things you want, be grateful for the things you don’t have and that you do not want. Counting blessings by virtue of their not having struck the more outrageous the better (accidents) is a great mood elevator. Some times we need to look at what haven’t befallen us to wake ourselves up to the joys of our ordinary life, because they are blessings by virtue of not happening.

This is where we truly ripen as souls, for it is easy to pay the lip service to the idea of gratitude and not to take the final step of embodying it. A pessimist is some one who has exercised the muscles of negativity till it becomes habitual, while an optimist is a person who has developed thankfulness and a can-do attitude until this becomes a second nature.

When we truly focus on what we need, as opposed to what we want or might like, life gets much simpler and it is much easier to be grateful. Nothing blocks the feelings of gratitude more than anger and resentments. At some point you realize that you are much stronger and more loving person that you might hadn’t been if you hadn’t been so hurt and you recognize the gift in your particular suffering. Forgiveness leads to gratitude, which redeems our suffering.

The truth is, of course, that happiness is an inside job and, beyond the subsistence level. Money truly has very little to do with our happiness. I use envy as a trigger to remembering that I want to do a better job of giving myself away. Service of the humanity is well above meditation. Expectations are the killers of gratitude and joy.

We are so incredibly well trained to notice what is wrong in any given relationship, work situation or experience that it is very easy to over look what’s right because our entire education system trains us to notice flaws and mistakes-that we are living in a negative world. What if we spent as much energy in relationships noticing and appreciating the other person’s gifts, talents, beauty and strengths as we do in exposing and dealing with its flaws? There are three circles of influence for every person- you, other people and life it self. It is the contentment in all these respects, which makes us happy in the moment.

It is not to look for as to why the discontentment or suffering came but to learn from it and what it could teach us. When we fail to use the hardships that dog us to become more loving, more patient, more present and, kinder is our fault

“NO MATTER WHAT ACCOMPHLISHMENTS YOU ACHIEVE, SOME BODY HELPED YOU

Honoring our connections to those who came before us gives us a sense of belonging and wholeness. It takes decades to acknowledge that one’s own unique self but also that you are the child of your parents and indeed whether it is good or bad, you are more like them than you ever imagined. By repeating the past we fail to grow beyond it. Why is it that we are so kind, tolerant and loving to the people we barely know and so demanding, cold and, down right mean to those who are closest to us?

When we become pre-occupied with the faults, Mistakes, shortcomings and lacking of our children, we become angry and shortsighted instead of thanking them for being as they are?

Be thankful that you don't already have everything you desire, if you did, what would there be to look forward to?

Be thankful when you don't know something, for it gives you the opportunity to learn.

Be thankful for the difficult times, during those times you grow.

Be thankful for your limitations, because they give you opportunities for improvement.

Be thankful for each new challenge, because it will build your strength and character.

Be thankful for your mistakes, they will teach you valuable lessons.

Be thankful when you're tired and weary, because it means you've made a difference.

It is easy to be thankful for the good things; a life of rich fulfillment comes to those who are also thankful for the setbacks.

Gratitude can turn a negative into a positive. Find a way to be thankful to the Lord with an attitude of fear and love for the Lord and your troubles can become your blessings.

ਖਿਮਾ ਗਹੀ ਸਚੁ ਸੰਚਿਓ ਖਾਇਓ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਨਾਮ ਖਰੀ ਕ੍ਰਿਪਾ ਠਾਕੁਰ ਭਈ ਅਨਦ ਸੂਖ ਬਿਸ੍ਰਾਮ Khima Gahee Such Sancheo Khaaeyo Amrit Naam, Khari Kirpa Thakur Bhayee Anand Sookh Bisraam.

Adopting an attitude of tolerance, and gathering truth, partakes of the Ambrosial Nectar of the Name. I have been blessed with the Guru’s Grace, resulting in complete peace and tranquility of mind. -----Guru Arjan, Gauri Bawan Akhree, AGGS, Page 261-8

We should try to awaken the joy that is available at the present moment. Live as if every day is your last. It is man’s foremost duty to awaken the understanding of the inner Higher Self and to know Itss real inner greatness by removing the veil of lower self (ਹਉਮੈ). Once one knows his own real true worth, he can know the worth of others by judging himself rather than others as portrayed by Guru Angad in Raag Majh;

ਨਾਨਕ ਪਰਖੇ ਆਪ ਕਉ ਤਾ ਪਾਰਖੁ ਜਾਣੁ ਰੋਗੁ ਦਾਰੂ ਦੋਵੈ ਬੁਝੈ ਤਾ ਵੈਦੁ ਸੁਜਾਣੁ
Nanak Parkhay Aap Ka-o Taa Paarakh Jaan, Rog Daaroo Dovai Bujhai Taa Vaid Sujaan.

O Nanak, if someone judges himself, only then is he known as a real judge. If someone understands both the disease and the medicine, only then is he a wise physician.
-----Guru Angad, Raag Majh, AGGS, Page, 148-8

Conclusion:

Gratitude can make a day; even change a life with willingness and to put words in action, which is all that is necessary. If the only prayer you said in your whole life was, "thank you," that would suffice. Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life. It turns what we have into enough, and more. It turns denial into acceptance, chaos into order, and confusion into clarity.... It turns problems into gifts, failures into success, the unexpected into perfect timing, and mistakes into important events. Gratitude makes sense of our past, brings peace for today and creates a vision for tomorrow.

• One does not become wealthy only with accumulating wealth but one can be rich by developing virtues with spiritual growth.
  • At each level of gratitude, our soul’s capacity deepens-At first we experience contentment, then meaning that we are there for some purpose and therefore thankful for life’s lessons.
  • Thirdly we dwell in pure joy and may even experience at all levels of thankfulness and the soul-gift that each offers.
ਲੂਣ ਹਰਾਮੀ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਲਾਲਾ ਬਖਸਿਹਿ ਤੁਧੁ ਵਡਿਆਈਆਦਿ ਜੁਗਾਦਿ ਦਇਆਪਤਿ ਦਾਤਾ ਤੁਧੁ ਵਿਣੁ ਮੁਕਤਿਨ ਪਾਈ
harāmī Nānak lālā baksihi uḏẖ vadi¬ā¬ī. Ā jugāa¬i¬āpaāā uḏẖ vi muka na pā¬ī.

I have been untrue to myself, but Nanak is Your slave; please forgive him, by Your glorious greatness. Since the very beginning of time, and throughout the ages, You have been the merciful and generous Akal Purkh. Without You, liberation cannot be attained.
-----Guru Nanak, Raag Maru, AGGS, Page, 991-5

Virinder S. Grewal
Williamston, MI

Amarpal

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 11, 2004
India
Dear Virinder Ji,

Thanks for the nice elaboration.

My understanding of this virtue, I add to the discussion on this website.

As I understand, Gratitude is an abstract attribute of we humans. It is reflected in a appreciative awareness and thankful disposition of the individual.

Each good act of a person for us stands separately from the other acts of the same person. For a person rich in this attribute (sense of gratitude) the unpleasant act of a person does not negate the good act done by the same person. Spiritually evolved people only remember the good acts and forget the unpleasant encounters, thereby making their sense of gratitude so visible to all.

You have done an excellent job in listing the opportunity for us to feel grateful toward you with a deep sense of gratitude.

It is a good elaboration that you have done. Thank you for sharing with us.

With love and respect.

Amarpal Singh

vsgrewal48895

Writer
SPNer
Mar 12, 2009
Michigan
Dear Amarpal Ji,

Thanks for your positive comments. It is also important to pay attention to our daily attitude, which will be posted today.

Have a good day.
Regards.
Virinder

vsgrewal48895

Writer
SPNer
Mar 12, 2009
Michigan
ATTITUDE OF GRATITUDE

ABSTRACT

Gratitude makes us feel like we have enough and the one who knows enough is enough will always have enough. Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others. Gratitude is the response of the receiver of the gift and you are worthy of all you receive. Gratitude births only positive feelings- love, compassion, joy and hope melting away fear, anger and, bitterness. Attitude is a complex mental state involving beliefs and feelings and values and dispositions to act in certain ways and affects the choice that one makes. Attitude of gratitude takes the individual one step further as one progress in spirituality under God’s Grace. Develop an attitude of gratitude, and give thanks for everything that happens to you, knowing that every step forward is a step toward achieving something bigger and better than your current situation;

ਮੇਰੈ ਮਨਿ ਰਾਮ ਨਾਮੁ ਜਪਿਓ ਗੁਰ ਵਾਕ ॥ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਕ੍ਰਿਪਾ ਕਰੀ ਜਗਦੀਸਰਿ ਦੁਰਮਤਿ ਦੂਜਾ ਭਾਉ ਗਇਓ ਸਭ ਝਾਕ ॥

Merai man rām nām japi▫o gur vāk. Har har kirpā karī jagḏīsar ḏurmaṯ ḏūjā bẖā¬o ga¬i¬o sabẖ jẖāk.

O my mind, chant the Name of the Akal Purkh, through the Guru's Word.The Eternal Akal Purkh has showered Its Mercy to my, and my evil-mindedness, love of duality and sense of alienation are totally gone, thanks to the Creator of the Universe.-----Guru Ramdas, Raag Kanrha, AGGS, Page, 1295-10

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Attitude of gratitude creates happiness because it makes us feel full and, complete. It is the realization that we have every thing we need, at least in this moment. Gratitude is the fairest blossom which springs from the conscience. It is the highest appreciation, which cannot be uttered in words, but to live in. God willing (ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ) always show gratitude and are pleasing to God unlike self willed (ਮਨਮੁਖਿ) performing showy rituals as expressed by Guru Nanak in Raag Majh;

ਮਨਮੁਖ ਲੂਣ ਹਾਰਾਮ ਕਿਆ ਨ ਜਾਣਿਆ ॥ਬਧੇ ਕਰਨਿ ਸਲਾਮ ਖਸਮ ਨ ਭਾਣਿਆ ॥ ਸਚੁ ਮਿਲੈ ਮੁਖਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਭਾਵਸੀ ॥ ਕਰਸਨਿ ਤਖਤਿ ਸਲਾਮੁ ਲਿਖਿਆ ਪਾਵਸੀ ॥

Manmukh Loon Haraam Kiyaa Na Jania, Badeh Karan Salam Khasam Na Bhaniya. Sacẖ milai mukẖ nām sāhib bẖāvsī. Karsan ṯakẖaṯ salām likẖi­ā pāvsī.

The self willed are false to them selves; they feel no gratitude for what they have been given. Those who merely perform rituals of worship are not pleasing to their God and Master. Those who attain the True Akal Purkh and chant Its Name are pleasing to the It. They worship It and bow at Its Throne. They fulfill their pre-ordained destiny.-----Guru Nanak, Var Majh, AGGS, Page, 143-4

Joy is defined as an emotion evoked by well-being, success or good fortune or by the prospect of possessing whatever one desires. While gratitude is the state of being appreciative of benefits received. As we experience the mental sunshine of gratitude; we begin to glow and our lives are full of people who want to be around us because we exude peacefulness, happiness and joy.

Positive emotions like gratitude and love are beneficial to health through the release of endorphins in the blood stream. Conversely, negative emotions such as worry, anger and, hopelessness contribute to high levels of adrenaline leading to stroke and heart disease.

Gratitude brings you back at the present moment now. When we see the glass half full rather than half empty, we notice what is there rather than dwelling on what is not there. Gratitude is an inner light we can use to illuminate our conscience. When we feel the fullness of gratitude, we accept (ਭਾਣਾ) life as it is. You cannot experience gratitude with a closed heart. The more you feel grateful, the stronger is the impulse toward giving. And the more you give, the more you get-love, friendship, a sense of purpose and accomplishment, even some times material wealth. Thus gratitude also gives birth to a fiercely loving environmentalism. Some people find moments of transcendence trough meditation, others in nature, still others when making love.

Life is both wonderful and dreadful and some times we have forgotten the miracle of being alive. We should learn to count on today, love and, trust of our friends. In some ways our attitude determines every thing, because they are the glasses through which we see the world. Our attitudes have the ability to enable or disable us. Gratitude is the response of the receiver of the gift and you are worthy of all you receive.

Bernard Shaw writes that people always blame their circumstances for what they are. He says further that he does not believe in circumstances. The people who get on in this world are the people who get up and look for circumstances they want and if they cannot find them, they create them.

To stand in line and waiting used to be waste of time for unnecessary aggravation to me. Now I think it is a wonderful opportunity to slow down and appreciate the creation.

Retroactive gratitude- realizing after some thing is over or some one is gone makes me feel to really appreciate what I have, but wasn’t aware of it until it was gone. The list what we might have taken for granted is endless. Regret is a poison that keeps us in the past. Thus gratitude is a natural response to the miracle of life as we experience it from moment to moment by living in the present.

If you haven’t got all the things you want, be grateful for the things you don’t have and that you do not want. Counting blessings by virtue of their not having struck the more outrageous the better (accidents) is a great mood elevator. Some times we need to look at what haven’t befallen us to wake ourselves up to the joys of our ordinary life, because they are blessings by virtue of not happening.

This is where we truly ripen as souls, for it is easy to pay the lip service to the idea of gratitude and not to take the final step of embodying it. A pessimist is some one who has exercised the muscles of negativity till it becomes habitual, while an optimist is a person who has developed thankfulness and a can-do attitude until this becomes a second nature.
When we truly focus on what we need, as opposed to what we want or might like, life gets much simpler and it is much easier to be grateful. Nothing blocks the feelings of gratitude more than anger and resentments. At some point you realize that you are much stronger and more loving person that you might hadn’t been if you hadn’t been so hurt and you recognize the gift in your particular suffering. Forgiveness leads to gratitude, which redeems our suffering.

The truth is, of course, that happiness is an inside job and, beyond the subsistence level. Money truly has very little to do with our happiness. I use envy as a trigger to remembering that I want to do a better job of giving myself away. Service of the humanity is well above meditation. Expectations are the killers of gratitude and joy.

We are so incredibly well trained to notice what is wrong in any given relationship, work situation or experience that it is very easy to over look what’s right because our entire education system trains us to notice flaws and mistakes-that we are living in a negative world. What if we spent as much energy in relationships noticing and appreciating the other person’s gifts, talents, beauty and strengths as we do in exposing and dealing with its flaws? There are three circles of influence for every person- you, other people and life it self. It is the contentment in all these respects, which makes us happy in the moment.

It is not to look for as to why the discontentment or suffering came but to learn from it and what it could teach us. When we fail to use the hardships that dog us to become more loving, more patient, more present and, kinder is our fault.

“NO MATTER WHAT ACCOMPHLISHMENTS YOU ACHIEVE, SOME BODY HELPED YOU”

Honoring our connections to those who came before us gives us a sense of belonging and wholeness. It takes decades to acknowledge that one’s own unique self but also that you are the child of your parents and indeed whether it is good or bad, you are more like them than you ever imagined. By repeating the past we fail to grow beyond it. Why is it that we are so kind, tolerant and loving to the people we barely know and so demanding, cold and, down right mean to those who are closest to us?

When we become pre-occupied with the faults, Mistakes, shortcomings and lacking of our children, we become angry and shortsighted instead of thanking them for being as they are?

Be thankful that you don't already have everything you desire, if you did, what would there be to look forward to?

Be thankful when you don't know something, for it gives you the opportunity to learn.

Be thankful for the difficult times, during those times you grow.

Be thankful for your limitations, because they give you opportunities for improvement.

Be thankful for each new challenge, because it will build your strength and character.

Be thankful for your mistakes, they will teach you valuable lessons.

Be thankful when you're tired and weary, because it means you've made a difference.

It is easy to be thankful for the good things; a life of rich fulfillment comes to those who are also thankful for the setbacks.

Gratitude can turn a negative into a positive. Find a way to be thankful to the Lord with an attitude of fear and love for the Lord and your troubles can become your blessings.

ਖਿਮਾ ਗਹੀ ਸਚੁ ਸੰਚਿਓ ਖਾਇਓ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਨਾਮ ॥ ਖਰੀ ਕ੍ਰਿਪਾ ਠਾਕੁਰ ਭਈ ਅਨਦ ਸੂਖ ਬਿਸ੍ਰਾਮ ॥

Khima Gahee Such Sancheo Khaaeyo Amrit Naam, Khari Kirpa Thakur Bhayee Anand Sookh Bisraam.

Adopting an attitude of tolerance, and gathering truth, partakes of the Ambrosial Nectar of the Name. I have been blessed with the Guru’s Grace, resulting in complete peace and tranquility of mind.-----Guru Arjan, Gauri Bawan Akhree, AGGS, Page 261-8

We should try to awaken the joy that is available at the present moment. Live as if every day is your last. It is man’s foremost duty to awaken the understanding of the inner Higher Self and to know Itss real inner greatness by removing the veil of lower self (ਹਉਮੈ). Once one knows his own real true worth, he can know the worth of others by judging himself rather than others as portrayed by Guru Angad in Raag Majh;

ਨਾਨਕ ਪਰਖੇ ਆਪ ਕਉ ਤਾ ਪਾਰਖੁ ਜਾਣੁ ॥ਰੋਗੁ ਦਾਰੂ ਦੋਵੈ ਬੁਝੈ ਤਾ ਵੈਦੁ ਸੁਜਾਣੁ ॥

Nanak Parkhay Aap Ka-o Taa Paarakh Jaan, Rog Daaroo Dovai Bujhai Taa Vaid Sujaan.

O Nanak, if someone judges himself, only then is he known as a real judge. If someone understands both the disease and the medicine, only then is he a wise physician.-----Guru Angad, Raag Majh, AGGS, Page, 148-8

Conclusion:

Gratitude can make a day; even change a life with willingness and to put words in action, which is all that is necessary. If the only prayer you said in your whole life was, "thank you," that would suffice. Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life. It turns what we have into enough, and more. It turns denial into acceptance, chaos into order, and confusion into clarity.... It turns problems into gifts, failures into success, the unexpected into perfect timing, and mistakes into important events. Gratitude makes sense of our past, brings peace for today and creates a vision for tomorrow.

1. One does not become wealthy only with accumulating wealth but one can be rich by developing virtues with spiritual growth.

2. At each level of gratitude, our soul’s capacity deepens-At first we experience contentment, then meaning that we are there for some purpose and therefore thankful for life’s lessons.

3. Thirdly we dwell in pure joy and may even experience at all levels of thankfulness and the soul-gift that each offers.

ਲੂਣ ਹਰਾਮੀ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਲਾਲਾ ਬਖਸਿਹਿ ਤੁਧੁ ਵਡਿਆਈ॥ਆਦਿ ਜੁਗਾਦਿ ਦਇਆਪਤਿ ਦਾਤਾ ਤੁਧੁ ਵਿਣੁ ਮੁਕਤਿਨ ਪਾਈ॥

Lūṇ harāmī Nānak lālā bakẖsihi ṯuḏẖ vadi¬ā¬ī. Āḏ jugāḏ ḏa¬i¬āpaṯ ḏāṯā ṯuḏẖ viṇ mukaṯ na pā¬ī.

I have been untrue to myself, but Nanak is Your slave; please forgive him, by Your glorious greatness. Since the very beginning of time, and throughout the ages, You have been the merciful and generous Akal Purkh. Without You, liberation cannot be attained.-----Guru Nanak, Raag Maru, AGGS, Page, 991-5

Virinder S. Grewal

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
The cultivation of the attitude of gratitude can only happen when we learn how to develop the trait of acceptance in us and Gurbani gives us the tools how to do that by understanding what Bhana and Hukum are.

Once we understand and make them parts of our lives then only we can build the attitude of gratitude which keeps us prepared when bad/negative things happen to us with an attitude of gratitude of "why not me?" instead of "why me?".

This is one more unique aspect of Sikhi because other religions; the 3 Semitic ones - Judaism, Christianity, Islam- and Hinduism teach/instill tolerance, which breeds disdain and hatred whereas acceptance breeds love and the attitude of gratitude.

Tejwant Singh

Aug 27, 2005
Baltimore Md USA
Tejwant ji

You said "This is one more unique aspect of Sikhi because other religions; the 3 Semitic ones - Judaism, Christianity, Islam- and Hinduism teach/instill tolerance, which breed disdain and hatred whereas acceptance breeds love and the attitude of gratitude."

You who claim I make false conclusions of others appear to me to do the same about other religions. When someone starts to exclaim exclusivity of there religion red flags go up the flag pole. Indeed the messianic faiths claim exclusivity on the truth and other such things.

If I were wishing to start a new religion perhaps I would fall into the pitfall of claims like my truth is the only truth and to raise my new religion above others rather than to elevate my own I would knock down others. Perhaps I would include that my word is the last on the subject and cannot be improved upon. a cult of personality. But that is why it is called faith not empirical or certitude. Fortunately, for me, my faith claims no one individual as a founder or receiver of direct revelation. Although there are many schools Saivism stays contemporary because inner truths never change, but outer forms of practice and observance do evolve. Saivism seeks to preserve its mystical teachings while adapting to the cultural, social and technological changes of each recurrent age according to Satguru Sivaya Subramuniyaswami.

Satguru Sivaya Subramuniyaswami said:
"Religious beliefs are manifold and different. Saivites, understanding the strength of this diversity, wholeheartedly respect and encourage all who believe in God. They honor the fact that truth is one, paths are many."

"Instill in us a wholesome. healthy mind, with goodwill and understanding. Then shall we ever delight in your friendship like cows who gladly rejoice in green meadows. This is my joyful message." Rig Veda

"All of the universe is in the glory of God, of Shiva, the God of love. The heads and faces of men are his own, and He is in the hearts of all." Yajur Veda

In my soon to be 61 revolutions around the sun have I never heard anyone associate tolerance with hatred with disdain. I am going to take a tolerant approach and support your right to speak and hope you are only speaking for yourself. If I thought my faith and way of worship were not thought of as an equal I would not have joined and certainly not have supported this site.

I appreciate anyone who is strongly rooted in their faith but to be frank I am weary of your implying no matter how subtly some superiority of Sikhi.

Uniqueness has been claimed by many to include those who first stole or borrowed ideas from Zoroaster such as the Jews, Muslims, and Christians primarily. He borrowed from those who preceded him.

Uniqueness divides and commonalities unite the choice is an individual one to me. Ignorant people have tried to offend me by calling me an idol worshiper, feces eater, urine drinker and much more but I treat them as a FedEx delivery I did not order and simply don't accept the delivery. I am not saying that is where you are going.

I have also been questioned about who wrote this and who wrote that, names if know were lost in antiquity, we simply call them rishis. The legend concerning the origin of the Shiva Sutras is that Lord Shiva etched them in a rock. It is said that Vasugupta, in ca 800, discovered the 77 sutras carved in a rock on Mahadeva mountain after a visionary dream in which Lord Shiva told him of their location. The sacred rock, named Sankarpal, is revered to this day.

What are the four keys to good conduct? Again according to Satguru Sivaya Subramuniyaswami:

"Purity, devotion, humility and charity are the four keys to good conduct. Of these, purity is the cardinal virtue. We cultivate purity by thinking. speaking and doing only that which is conceived in compassion for all."

There are also four keys for conduct with others penned by the great sage Patanjali in his great work "The Yoga Sutras which I will paraphrase very crudely:
1 Be happy to those who are happy whatever their reason to be happy.
2. Show compassion for those who are ill or sad.
3. Ignore those who speak of "devilishness" or nonsense.
4. Treat with reverence those who speak with wisdom.

I am more than happy to converse with others on spiritual matters in an open mined and Tolerant manner. However those who even appear to have an intent having me defend my faith I will apply Patanjali's key number four.

For those who may have a lack of understanding when it comes to tolerance, acceptance I would suggest reading Sri Ramakrishna, Swami Vivekananda and Paramahansayogananda as starters.

I am not a Sikh but have mentioned before that I joined this site because I thought we had much in common. The more I hear from a member or two here I become more aware I may be wrong

If I thought my presupposition was wrong I would bow out but for now I shall soldier on.

Peace
Satyaban

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Satyaban ji,

Guru Fateh.

Thanks for the loooong post. I am glad you are beginning to enjoy them now but before you could not tolerate them according to you. As mentioned before, it is not in the length of the post but in its contents.

Your long post indicates a lot of frustrations panted up in you and I have no idea of their origins. I wish you would share them with us so that others can pitch in and give you a helping hand.

I hope you do not get back into your cocoon when I respond to you and then keep mum when asked questions. One thing I must make it clear is that I never feel insulted by your remarks no matter how uncalled for they may be which has happened in the past. I tend to confront these things head on and expect the person to do the same.

Disagreements are part and parcel of our personal growth.

You write:

You said "This is one more unique aspect of Sikhi because other religions; the 3 Semitic ones - Judaism, Christianity, Islam- and Hinduism teach/instill tolerance, which breed disdain and hatred whereas acceptance breeds love and the attitude of gratitude."

You who claim I make false conclusions of others appear to me to do the same about other religions.
Please tell me which false claims have I made so far? Please be specific and list them. Do not shun away from this and stick onto your own words with which you ended this post.
"If I thought my presupposition was wrong I would bow out but for now I shall soldier on."
When someone starts to exclaim exclusivity of there religion red flags go up the flag pole.
It is you who is making false claims here and jumping to conclusions, once again. If you had read my posts which I would give you the benefit of the doubt of, that you did, you must have noticed that I have always insisted on Sikhi having a universal message.

Please explain what do you understand by the universal message?

I do apologise to the Martians and the other Lings if they claim I did not include them in the universal message of Sikhi. I just wanted to make it clear to them also that they are part of this Milky way and others which Guru Nanak Dev ji mentioned in Jap ji.

I am sorry to say that you have no idea about Sikhi as you have not bothered to read anything about it according to your own claim. You have rather refused to read in order to learn and gain knowledge which in result normally leads people to preconceived superficial notions as far as others' religions, beliefs, faiths and or ways of life are concerned. And one has noticed that your superficiality about Sikhi is quite nitid and it is by your own choice. So one can see that, it is you who is making false assumptions once again as you have done the same in the past.

So, what kind of exclusivity did I claim? Please be specific.

I never mentioned anything about Truth nor did I claim exclusivity on the truth in any of my posts to you or to anyone else nor in any of my writings which can be read in this very forum.

This is just one more of your false claims and I have no idea why you do that. To prove what in your own Spiritual path? Why do you feel the need to manufacture silly claims like that?

In fact, what I have mentioned about the Truth in my several posts is that all dogmatic religions are based on subjective truths like Hell and Heaven- Hinduism and the 3 Semitic religions are including in this.

I also did mention that Sikhi, being a pragmatic way of life- not a religion, is based on objective reality. You have to read the scriptures and the Sikh history to understand that which you have refused to. This is also the reason there is nothing called Sikh mythology whereas Hinduism is full of mythological things and people, including Shiva.

Indeed the messianic faiths claim exclusivity on the truth and other such things.
So does Hinduism. You claim the truth about Shiva which is nothing but a part of Hindu mythology. Perhaps that is the reason you have been unable to respond to any of my questions regarding him despite my reminders. I have no idea why this fear of sharing.

Yes, there is a difference between tolerance and acceptance. Tolerance is not capable of breeding love, to the contrary, where as acceptance is the gateway to breeding love. One tolerates the other because one is forced to. It is an external imposition albeit because of the law of the land or of some preconceived superiority which Hinduism and all 3 Semitic religions are famous for. The proof is in the caste system in Hinduism. The crusades in Christianity and the invasions by the Muslims in Asia and in Europe show a lot about these religions.

Acceptance is an internal manifestation instilled by the values that all humanity is one and belongs to just ONE SOURCE.

Now, talking about Hinduism, please read the following thread on SPN and see what Hindus did to the innocent Sikhs in 1984. It was a holocaust planned and executed by the Hindus.

1984 Anti-Sikh Riots

After having read the above, please also read the following by your fellow Hindu.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Myth of Hindu tolerance

[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica][FONT=trebuchet ms, arial, helvetica]By V.B.Rawat[/FONT]

[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]http://www.geocities.com/indiafas/Hindu/hindu_myths.htm
[/FONT]
And as suggested before, you should delve into some Sikh history.Muslims abducted Hindu girls and raped them, forced them into marriages and it was the Sikhs who fought against these fiends and freed those girls. Members of this forum can help you finding some books. But it is your own freewill and own choice.

Let me repeat it again that knowledge is everyone's friend and no Sikh is trying to convert anyone, to the contrary. So you should not let yourself close the windows through which you can learn and hence share with us all.

Harmandir Sahib, the most sacred shrine of Sikhi, I am sure you must have read or heard about it, has four doors which means Sikhi accepts all humanity from any hue,creed or faith. Anyone can visit the Sikh Gurdwaras without needing any invitation. The same is not true about visiting Hindu Temples, Muslim mosques,Churches and synagogues.

The concept of Langar and Pangat shows in Sikhi the acceptance of all humanity irrespective of their hue,creed, faith, class or caste.

Allow me to elaborate what this means. A high caste Hindu will not eat the same food as the low caste Hindu much less sitting together and breaking bread with him or her. It is a common practice in your religion, and still exists. I have no idea if you are aware of this.

When Hindu Kings or people of high caste/class from Hinduism or Islam used to visit any of our Gurus, they had to eat along with people from all castes, creeds and faith before interacting with the Gurus. This concept of acceptance of ALL as ONE with no exception was started by Guru Nanak.

I am not a Sikh but have mentioned before that I joined this site because I thought we had much in common. The more I hear from a member or two here I become more aware I may be wrong.
Satyaban ji, lots of people from different faiths and creeds come here and interact. You are not alone in that.

Commonalities are only found when one reads and then come to know and learn about the other religion/s in a comparative sense. You have refused to do that.

The rest of your post is irrelevant to what I have posted in my post and it is full of mumbo jumbo which has nothing to do with what I said in my post.

You seem to have jumped to a different topic. You may start a new thread about it if you like.

Thanks & regards

Tejwant Singh

selvi

SPNer
May 13, 2009
1. Choose your friends wisely. If you strive to be spiritually strong, supportive, empowering, intelligent, energetic, and positive, seek those characteristics in others.

Help your friends develop more positive traits by living those positive traits yourself. Know what kind of friends will help you nurture your soul, and set out to find some.

2. Help your friends cultivate gratitude. Before you say anything about a friend's situation, remember that everyone's situation is unique. I've seen it happen to myself and to my friends. They'll be perfectly happy until someone tells them they're being mistreated. Suddenly, they're upset.

Don't let your friends wield such power, and work to avoid wielding such power yourself.

Day by day, hour by hour, make a goal to stop complaining about your life. Make a pact with your friends to cut the complaints from your conversations.

3. Give the gift of gratitude to your children. Help your children to be satisfied with the simple things while giving them the innate power and ability to achieve whatever they want in life...by living in such a way yourself.

4. Say "Thank You." Whom in your life do you appreciate? Let them know, whether it's your mom, your kids, your friends, your husband, your child's daycare provider or the helpful woman behind the cosmetics counter.

A heartfelt "thank you" often does the trick. Make it a habit and your attention will suddenly turn to all the things people do for you.

Also, write thank you notes regularly - not just after a gift exchange - and be mindful of all the ways you show your appreciation by the things you do in return.

Another idea: Spend 15 minutes writing a letter to your children. In this note, tell them how much you love them, why you're thankful for them, and all the ways they have enriched your life. This can be something you give them now or after they have grown.

5. Be mindful of the little things. Today, strive to be aware of all the aspects of your personal, professional, and family life for which you are thankful.

Take a few minutes today to appreciate nature. Go for a walk and notice only those things that are beautiful. Whether you focus on the stars above, a distant mountain range, or the cottonwood tree in your backyard, try to notice the details. Give thanks for the beauty that surrounds us.

Oprah Winfrey and Sarah Ban Breathnach, author of Simple Abundance, speak often of the importance of a Gratitude Journal, in which, at the end of each day, you record at least five things you're grateful for.

Regardless of whether you write down these items, spend some time each day to focus on the little things in your life that make each day special. Perhaps it's your child's toothless grin. A warm home. Delicious food enjoyed with family.

Together, let's work on focusing on what we have - not on what we don't have - and all the ways we can help one another have more gratitude for the gift of life.

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Tejwant

My last post stated my position as clearly as my abilities allow. If you don't understand it is not my problem.

Peace
Satyaban

Satyaban ji,

Guru Fateh.

Thanks for admitting that you had no idea about the difference between the exclusivity of each dogmatic religion and the Universal message of Sikhi which is based on pragmatism.

Attitude towards gratitude can only begin when we see all humanity as ONE. Then only tolerance can morph into acceptance of all as the Children of ONE SOURCE and because of this, the gratitude makes us breed acceptance from the within which is able to manifest itself through our deeds.

Otherwise, we keep on dwelling in me-ism and that becomes our attitude sans gratitude.

Regards

Tejwant Singh

Aug 27, 2005
Baltimore Md USA
Satyaban ji,

Guru Fateh.

Thanks for admitting that you had no idea about the difference between the exclusivity of each dogmatic religion and the Universal message of Sikhi which is based on pragmatism.

Attitude towards gratitude can only begin when we see all humanity as ONE. Then only tolerance can morph into acceptance of all as the Children of ONE SOURCE and because of this, the gratitude makes us breed acceptance from the within which is able to manifest itself through our deeds.

Otherwise, we keep on dwelling in me-ism and that becomes our attitude sans gratitude.

Regards

Tejwant Singh

Say what? I think your tunnel vision has severely limited your ability to read and comprehend what you have read. Perhaps you can find someone to help you with that problem.

There are also four keys for conduct with others penned by the great sage Patanjali in his great work "The Yoga Sutras which I will paraphrase very crudely:

Please debate issues not personalities. Deletion by Narayanjot Kaur

Peace
Satyaban

This has to go also. I missed it first time around.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Say what? I think your tunnel vision has severely limited your ability to read and comprehend what you have read. Perhaps you can find someone to help you with that problem.

Please debate issues not personalities. Deletion by Narayanjot Kaur

Peace
Satyaban

This has to go also. I missed it first time around.

Satayaban ji,

Guru Fateh.

I explained to you in 2 posts what Sikhi is about and what other religions are including the one you belong to. Once again, Sikhi has a universal message, hence it can not be exclusive which you had falsely claimed in your post.

Lastly, thanks for showing your attitude of anger and disdain which proves my point of the path some people follow.

Your angry judgemental post shows a lot about you. Thanks for sharing it. I do appreciate it.

Enjoy your spiritual journey and I hope it teaches you not to make any false claims about others' ways of life without studying about them and/or making an effort to understand what is explained in the posts, and never be afraid of knowledge. Learning is the only way ahead.:)

Regards

Tejwant Singh

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 27, 2005
Baltimore Md USA
I was talking to a friend of mine yesterday who said I didn't know how fortunate I have it. I told him he was wrong. I have gone through a lot, back surgery etc, I have a bit of pain but I get money and don't have to work. I can walk pretty good and run a bit but no tennis, my love. I wake everyday when I want to and feel like I won a lottery annuity and am very grateful.:thumbup:

Peace always
Satyaban

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM