• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Are Sikhs Over Religious

Archived_Member_19

(previously amarsanghera, account deactivated at t
SPNer
Jun 7, 2006
before we start the discussion

let us define the ground rules

we are discussing whom: Sikhs

Issue : they are over religious

what is over religious: ................

please help me define it

what is religion

what is religious

what is over religious

this is the simplest way to address such cheap journalistic stunts

i call it cheap

because i believe journalism is a responsible profession

what these people do is

take a vague topic
get people who can gas around
blur the stuff
and deliver whatever pre decided verdict is

these discussions would not stand a moment under the scrutiny of a structured dialogue

and you will figure out that most of people mouthing the statements would rethink their statements, if they had these ground assumptions clear.

drkhalsa

SPNer
Sep 16, 2004
Thanks for link

I read all the 52 comments that were given there by various people

comments link here

Lady condusting the interview was too clever ( or idiot ) that she asked irrelevant questions not related to topic and intereupted the Sikh gentleman when she tought he is geting there

Its hilarious that when we cant find even religious people we are talking about over religious

What I think is It is useless topic to disscuss and best bet would be to just read the comments if anybody looking for something new

Thanks

Jatinder Singh

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Discussing that whether sikhs are over religious or not is plain stupidity.why don't these channels questions whether muslims are over religious or not.Just because they are in large numbers and more aggressive so it looks like everyone spare's them.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Part of the problem is the editorial stance of CNN/IBN. This is not the first time that they have taken an ignorant stance toward Sikhs and Sikhism. It is almost like an unconscious bigotry. Statements and assumptions are not looked at in a critical way. The facts are not taken into consideration. A statement here and a statement there and the story flies into a frenzy and none of it is responsible or logical. A concerted effort is really needed on the part of established individuals to put pressure on this news organization. They are positively childish in the way that they report things.

TGill

SPNer
Jul 31, 2007
Being over religious has nothing to do with really being religious, I think here it means being extremist and fundamentalist. Mostly towards the outer look.

But really, CNN-IBN really shows a very very poor and one sided analysis (can be called non-analysis).

I don't think general public of india outside of Punjab think that sikhs are over religious. They, in the worst case only, think that sikhs are just funny people.

About abroad, I think mostly people see turban wearing sikhs with a kind of searching and inspecting eyes. I've seen that happening in NY.

drkhalsa

SPNer
Sep 16, 2004
ere is an article from Telegraph (not THE SUN
smile.gif
) which shows one incident of Sikh agitation

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...ixnewstop.html

Now, why did sikhs reacted like this .... Is truth really sacreligeous !!
Or thing like this does not happen in Gurudwaras... Please come to Punjab villages if you think so ....
Dear Friend This was quite an issue sometime back and has been extensively disscused on this forum SDO please serach for some post if you want to read what all was about

In short this play was inaapropiate as FORTHE PEOPLE WHO ALREADY KNOW LITTLE ABOUT SIKHS THE PLAY GIVES WRONG FIRST IMPRESSION .MANY PEOPEL WILL COME TO KNOW ABOUT RAREST AND WORST TYHING THAT CAN HAPPEN IN SIKH TEMPLE

I was in London when all thi happened and it was clearly peace protest with many sikhs just siting outside thaetre for many hours when some Foolish self styled khalistani created a hit and run scene and undermining al the peaceful efforts

t
hing like this does not happen in Gurudwaras... Please come to Punjab villages if you think so ..

I have been in most remote and backward regions of Punjab ( malwa) and I can conforim that this can be rarest event to happen there But it is more possible in urban regions of punjab But even its the rarest even th at happen in Sikh Temple so not that important part of culture that we should go about publicing and making plays out of it unless we have some hidden grudge against the sikh community

TGill

SPNer
Jul 31, 2007
Khalsa ji u r funny....

But these khalistanis make me laugh even more !! :)
Sorry for raking up an old issue but I thought it is pertinent to the topic ..
Is this not an example of sikhs getting highly extremist. Highly intolerant to anything that hurt their blind beliefs, not even truth ?

TGill

SPNer
Jul 31, 2007
One more thing, it was written by a sikh, Gurpreet kaur bhatti.... and was just a play. That incident probably showed a worse picture of Sikhs(not sure) to the world than what play probably would have shown...

dalsingh

SPNer
Jun 12, 2006
London
One thing you have to understand about the British media is that large sections of it are racist and revel in portraying a negative image of other communities.

You might think Sikhs protesting against the play was bad but you should see an average Friday night out in most towns in England and the drunk yobbish violence that is commonplace there. Again they will play this down and concentrate on **** like this. Recently a bunch of youths rioted and attacked a police station...

http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/art...Z_01_L20712897_RTRUKOC_0_UK-BRITAIN-CRIME.xml

You can bet this random disgraceful attack on police will get infinitely less press than teh Behzti play which went on for months. The way they portrayed it was like "the end of free speech and British values" when it was just a bunch of p#i#s#sed off Panjabis/Sikhs objecting to some dumb Jatti who has disowned her own community and is taking a parting boot at it. People in Birmingham told her to base the story in some other place (i.e. not gurdwara) but no doubt egged on by the crafty Anglo Saxon Nazis, she persisted.

You know an artist can make a point subtly without causing an unnecessary hoo ha.

drkhalsa

SPNer
Sep 16, 2004
Yes dear brother we need to work with our Voilent brithers out there and make then more clever and shreud so that they can work more effectively without uncessary show off which eventually come on as negative impresion for the sikh community

About the writer Bhatti ji . she gave telephone Interview and was very clear that this was just Play and she also appeared quite distant from core sikhi point of view so really didnt knew that this will turn out to be so ******

But our voilent brothers gave her many sleepless night with phone threats and all that nonsense and I feel ashamed of that but only sometimes :)

Jatinder Singh

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM