• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Answers From Guru Granth

Jul 28, 2006
I think that the Guru Granth Sahab can provide views and answers to most of our lifes questions. I want to take this opportunity to discuss Questions and Post answers based on Guru's views and Our Granth so that we can differentiate between right and Wrong

Lets find Answers in the Guru Granth. I invite all Young Sikhs to search the Answers in the word of Gurus and respond with facts ( Based on the Guru Granth Sahab)

vsgrewal48895

Writer
SPNer
Mar 12, 2009
Michigan
Where to find God?

Humans have debated since creation, about spirituality and have questioned how to find God and communicate with It?

Guru Nanak in the mode of Raag Parbhati answers the question firstly putting all the responsibility on duality and finally on Akal Purkh Itself. It could only be achieved through devotional love and Its fear (Accepting Its Will in present) as delineated in the “Sabd Guru” by contemplation, deliberation, and reflection on the message in daily life to swim across the worldly ocean;

ਦੁਬਿਧਾ ਬਉਰੀ ਮਨੁ ਬਉਰਾਇਆ॥ਝੂਠੈ ਲਾਲਚਿ ਜਨਮੁ ਗਵਾਇਆ ॥ ਲਪਟਿ ਰਹੀ ਫੁਨਿ ਬੰਧੁ ਨ ਪਾਇਆ ॥ ਸਤਿਗੁਰਿ ਰਾਖੇ ਨਾਮੁ ਦ੍ਰਿੜਾਇਆ ॥ ਨਾ ਮਨੁ ਮਰੈ ਨ ਮਾਇਆ ਮਰੈ ॥ ਜਿਨਿ ਕਿਛੁ ਕੀਆ ਸੋਈ ਜਾਣੈ ਸਬਦੁ ਵੀਚਾਰਿ ਭਉ ਸਾਗਰੁ ਤਰੈ ॥

Ḏubiḏẖā ba▫urī man ba▫urā▫i▫ā. Jẖūṯẖai lālacẖ janam gavā▫i▫ā. Lapat rahī fun banḏẖ na pā▫i▫ā. Saṯgur rākẖe nām driṛ▫ā▫i▫ā. Nā man marai na mā▫i▫ā marai.Jin Kich Kee-aa Soyee Jaanai Sabad Veechar Bhau Sagar Tarai.

The insanity of duality has driven the mind insane. In false greed, life is wasting away. Duality clings to the mind; it cannot be restrained. The True Guru saves us, by implanting Akal Purkh’s Naam within. Without subduing the mind, Maya cannot be subdued. The One who created all this understands Itself. Contemplating the Word of the Sabd, one is carried across the terrifying world-ocean.-----Guru Nanak, Raag Parbhatee Bibhas, AGGS, Page, 1342-3

ਇਸੁ ਜਗ ਮਹਿ ਸਬਦੁ ਕਰਣੀ ਹੈ ਸਾਰੁ॥ਬਿਨੁ ਸਬਦੈ ਹੋਰੁ ਮੋਹੁ ਗੁਬਾਰੁ ॥ਸਬਦੇ ਨਾਮੁ ਰਖੈ ਉਰਿ ਧਾਰਿ ॥ਸਬਦੇ ਗਤਿ ਮਤਿ ਮੋਖ ਦੁਆਰੁ ॥

Iss Jug Meh Sabad Karnee Hai Saar, Bin Sabadai Hoar Moh Gubaar, “Sabadai Naam Rahai Ourdhaar, Sabdai Gat Mit Mokh Duaar.

In this world, the practice of the Sabd is the most excellent occupation. Without the Sabd, everything else is the darkness of emotional attachment. Through the Sabd, the Naam is enshrined within the heart. Through the Sabd, one obtains clear understanding and the door of salvation. -----Guru Nanak, Raag Parbhatee Bibhas, AGGS, Page, 1342-10

Guru Arjan confirms it by stressing that all the above has to be accomplished through one’s life from beginning, mid, and till end in the mode of Gauri and Gujri;

ਆਦਿ ਮਧਿ ਜੋ ਅੰਤਿ ਨਿਬਾਹੈ ॥ਸੋ ਸਾਜਨੁ ਮੇਰਾ ਮਨੁ ਚਾਹੈ ॥ ਹਰਿ ਕੀ ਪ੍ਰੀਤਿ ਸਦਾ ਸੰਗਿ ਚਾਲੈ ॥ ਦਇਆਲ ਪੁਰਖ ਪੂਰਨ ਪ੍ਰਤਿਪਾਲੈ ॥ ਬਿਨਸਤ ਨਾਹੀ ਛੋਡਿ ਨ ਜਾਇ ॥ ਜਹ ਪੇਖਾ ਤਹ ਰਹਿਆ ਸਮਾਇ ॥ ਸੁੰਦਰੁ ਸੁਘੜੁ ਚਤੁਰੁ ਜੀਅ ਦਾਤਾ ॥ ਭਾਈ ਪੂਤੁ ਪਿਤਾ ਪ੍ਰਭੁ ਮਾਤਾ ॥ ਜੀਵਨ ਪ੍ਰਾਨ ਅਧਾਰ ਮੇਰੀ ਰਾਸਿ ॥ ਪ੍ਰੀਤਿ ਲਾਈ ਕਰਿ ਰਿਦੈ ਨਿਵਾਸਿ ॥ ਮਾਇਆ ਸਿਲਕ ਕਾਟੀ ਗੋਪਾਲਿ ॥ ਕਰਿ ਅਪੁਨਾ ਲੀਨੋ ਨਦਰਿ ਨਿਹਾਲਿ ॥ ਸਿਮਰਿ ਸਿਮਰਿ ਕਾਟੇ ਸਭਿ ਰੋਗ ॥ ਚਰਣ ਧਿਆਨ ਸਰਬ ਸੁਖ ਭੋਗ ॥ ਪੂਰਨ ਪੁਰਖੁ ਨਵਤਨੁ ਨਿਤ ਬਾਲਾ ॥ ਹਰਿ ਅੰਤਰਿ ਬਾਹਰਿ ਸੰਗਿ ਰਖਵਾਲਾ ॥ ਕਹੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਪਦੁ ਚੀਨ ॥ ਸਰਬਸੁ ਨਾਮੁ ਭਗਤ ਕਉ ਦੀਨ ॥

Aad MaDh Jo Ant Nibaahai, So Saajan Mayraa Man Chaahai. Har kī parīṯ saḏā sang cẖālai. Ḏa▫i▫āl purakẖ pūran paraṯipālai. Binsaṯ nāhī cẖẖod na jā▫e. Jah pekẖā ṯah rahi▫ā samā▫e. Sunḏar sugẖaṛ cẖaṯur jī▫a ḏāṯā. Bẖā▫ī pūṯ piṯā parabẖ māṯā. Jīvan parān aḏẖār merī rās. Parīṯ lā▫ī kar riḏai nivās. Mā▫i▫ā silak kātī gopāl. Kar apunā līno naḏar nihāl. Simar simar kāte sabẖ rog. Cẖaraṇ ḏẖi▫ān sarab sukẖ bẖog. Pūran purakẖ navṯan niṯ bālā. Har anṯar bāhar sang rakẖvālā. Kaho Nānak har har paḏ cẖīn. Sarbas nām bẖagaṯ ka▫o ḏīn.

My mind longs for that Friend, who shall stand by me in the beginning, in the middle and in the end. Akal Purkh's Love goes with us forever. The Perfect and Merciful God cherishes all. It shall never perish, and shall never abandon me. Wherever I look, there I see It pervading and permeating. It is Beautiful, All-knowing, the most Clever, and the Giver of life. God is my Brother, Son, Father and Mother. It is the Support of the breath of life; and is my Wealth. Abiding within my heart, It inspires me to enshrine Its love. The God of the World has cut away the noose of Maya. It has made me Its own, blessing me with Its Glance of Grace. Remembering, remembering It in meditation, all diseases are healed. Meditating on Its Feet, all comforts are enjoyed. The Perfect Primal God is Ever-fresh and Ever-young, and is with me, inwardly and outwardly, as my Protector. Says Nanak, that devotee who realizes the state of the Eternal Akal Purkh is blessed with the treasure of the Naam. -----Guru Arjan, Raag Gauri, AGGS, Page, 240-10

ਨਾਨਕ ਸਤਿਗੁਰਿ ਭੇਟਿਐ ਪੂਰੀ ਹੋਵੈ ਜੁਗਤਿ ॥ਹਸੰਦਿਆ ਖੇਲੰਦਿਆ ਪੈਨੰਦਿਆ ਖਾਵੰਦਿਆ ਵਿਚੇ ਹੋਵੈ ਮੁਕਤਿ ॥

Nanak Satgur Bhatai Poori Hovai Jugat, Hasandeyaa, Khelandiaa, Penandiaa,Vichay Hovai Mukat.

O Nanak, meeting the True Guru (Sabd Guru), one comes to know the Perfect Way. While laughing, playing, dressing and eating, he is liberated.-----Guru Arjan, Raag Gujri, AGGS, Page, 522-10

Bhagat Kabir ponders on it in Raag Parbhati;

ਅਲਹੁ ਏਕੁ ਮਸੀਤਿ ਬਸਤੁ ਹੈ ਅਵਰੁ ਮੁਲਖੁ ਕਿਸੁ ਕੇਰਾ ॥ਹਿੰਦੂ ਮੂਰਤਿ ਨਾਮ ਨਿਵਾਸੀ ਦੁਹ ਮਹਿ ਤਤੁ ਨ ਹੇਰਾ ॥ ਅਲਹ ਰਾਮ ਜੀਵਉ ਤੇਰੇ ਨਾਈ ॥ ਤੂ ਕਰਿ ਮਿਹਰਾਮਤਿ ਸਾਈ ॥ ਦਖਨ ਦੇਸਿ ਹਰੀ ਕਾ ਬਾਸਾ ਪਛਿਮਿ ਅਲਹ ਮੁਕਾਮਾ ॥ਦਿਲ ਮਹਿ ਖੋਜਿ ਦਿਲੈ ਦਿਲਿ ਖੋਜਹੁ ਏਹੀ ਠਉਰ ਮੁਕਾਮਾ ॥ ਬ੍ਰਹਮਨ ਗਿਆਸ ਕਰਹਿ ਚਉਬੀਸਾ ਕਾਜੀ ਮਹ ਰਮਜਾਨਾ ॥ਗਿਆਰਹ ਮਾਸ ਪਾਸ ਕੈ ਰਾਖੇ ਏਕੈ ਮਾਹਿ ਨਿਧਾਨਾ ॥ ਕਹਾ ਉਡੀਸੇ ਮਜਨੁ ਕੀਆ ਕਿਆ ਮਸੀਤਿ ਸਿਰੁ ਨਾਂਏਂ ॥ਦਿਲ ਮਹਿ ਕਪਟੁ ਨਿਵਾਜ ਗੁਜਾਰੈ ਕਿਆ ਹਜ ਕਾਬੈ ਜਾਂਏਂ ॥ ਏਤੇ ਅਉਰਤ ਮਰਦਾ ਸਾਜੇ ਏ ਸਭ ਰੂਪ ਤੁਮ੍ਹ੍ਹਾਰੇ ॥ਕਬੀਰੁ ਪੂੰਗਰਾ ਰਾਮ ਅਲਹ ਕਾ ਸਭ ਗੁਰ ਪੀਰ ਹਮਾਰੇ|| ਕਹਤੁ ਕਬੀਰੁ ਸੁਨਹੁ ਨਰ ਨਰਵੈ ਪਰਹੁ ਏਕ ਕੀ ਸਰਨਾ ॥ਕੇਵਲ ਨਾਮੁ ਜਪਹੁ ਰੇ ਪ੍ਰਾਨੀ ਤਬ ਹੀ ਨਿਹਚੈ ਤਰਨਾ ॥

Alhu Ayk Maseet Basat Hai Avar Mulakh Kis Kayraa, Hindoo Moorat Naam Nivaasee Duh Meh Tat Na Hayraa. Alah Raam Jeeva-o Tayray Naa-ee, Too Kar Mihraamat Saa-ee. Dakhan Days Haree Kaa Baasaa Pachhim Alah Mukaamaa, Dil Meh Khoj Dilai Dil Khojahu Ayhee Tha-ur Mukaamaa. Barahman Gi-aas Karahi Cha-ubeesaa Kaajee Mah Ramjaanaa, Gi-aareh Maas Paas Kai Raakhay Aikai Maahi NiDhaanaa. Kahaa Udeesay Majan Kee-aa Ki-aa Maseet Sir NaaN-ayN, Dil Meh Kapat Nivaaj Gujaarai Ki-Aa Haj Kaabai JaaN-ayN. Aytay A-urat Mardaa Saajay Ay Sabh Roop TumHaaray, Kabir Poongraa Raam Alah Kaa Sabh Gur Peer Hamaaray. Kahat Kabir Sunhu Nar Narvai Parahu Ayk Kee Sarnaa, Kayval Naam Japahu Ray Paraanee Tab Hee Nihchai Tarnaa.

If the God Allah lives only in the mosque, then to whom does the rest of the world belong? According to the Hindus, the It's Name abides in the idol, but there is no truth in either of these claims. O Allah, O Ram, I live by Your Name. Please show mercy to me, O Master.The God of the Hindus lives in the southern lands, and the God of the Muslims lives in the west. So search in your heart - look deep into your heart of hearts; this is the home and the place where God lives. The Brahmins observe twenty-four fasts during the year, and the Muslims fast during the month of Ramadan. The Muslims set aside eleven months, and claim that the treasure is only in the one month. What is the use of bathing at Orissa? Why do the Muslims bow their heads in the mosque? If someone has deception in his heart, what good is it for him to utter prayers? And what good is it for him to go on pilgrimage to Mecca? You fashioned all these men and women, O God, all these are Your Forms. Kabir is the child of God/Allah/Ram. All the Gurus and prophets are mine.Says Kabir, listen, O men and women: seek the Sanctuary of the One. Chant the Naam, ts Name, O mortals, and you shall surely be carried across.-----Kabir, Raag Parbhati, AGGS, Page, 1349

Conclusion;

Akal Purkh could only be found in individual’s Self veiled by lower instincts of ਹਉਮੈ, being metaphysical, invisible, incomprehensible, and unfathomable spirit, It does not live in religious symbols, or garb or any kind of rituals but in Self reached through Its Devotional love. Guru Gobind Singh ponders in Akal Ustit and Bachitar Natak;

ਕਹਾ ਭਯੋ ਦੋਊ ਲੋਚਨ ਮੂੰਦਕੈ ਬੈਠਿ ਰਹਿਓ ਬਕ ਧਯਾਨ ਲਗਾਇਓ ॥ ਬਾਸੁ ਕੀਓ ਬਿਖਿਆਨ ਸੋ ਬੈਠ ਕੈ ਐਸੇ ਹੀ ਐਸ ਸੁ ਬੈਸ ਬਤਾਇਓ ॥ ਸਾਚੁ ਕਹੌ ਸੁਨ ਲੇਹੁ ਸਭੈ ਜਿਨ ਪੇ੍ਮ ਕੀਉ ਤਿਨ ਹੀ ਪ੍ਭੁ ਪਾਇਓ ॥ ੯ ॥ ੨੯ ॥ ਕਾਹੂ ਲੈ ਪਾਹਨ ਪੂਜ ਧਰੋ ਸਿਰ ਕਾਹੂ ਲੈ ਲਿੰਗੁ ਗਰੇ ਲਟਕਾਇਓ ॥ ਕਾਹੂ ਲਖਿਓ ਹਰਿ ਅਵਾਚੀ ਦਿਸਾ ਮੈ ਕਾਹੂ ਪਛਾਹ ਕੋ ਸੀਸ ਨਿਵਾਇਓ ॥ ਕੋਊ ਬੁਤਾਨ ਕੌ ਪੂਜਤ ਹੈ ਪਸੁ ਕੋਊ ਮਿਤਾ੍ਨ ਕੌ ਪੂਜਨ ਧਾਇਓ ॥ ਕੂਰ ਕਿ੍ਆ ਉਰਝਿਓ ਸਭ ਜਗ ਸੀ੍ ਭਗਵਾਨ ਕੋ ਭੇਦੁ ਨ ਪਾਇਓ ॥ ੧੦ ॥ ੩੦ ॥

Kaha Bheo Deo Lochan Moondkai Baith Rahio Bak Dhyan Lagaeo, Bas Keo Bikhian So Baith Kai Aisay So Bais Bataeo, Saach Kaho Sun Leh Sabhai Jin Prem Keo Tin He Prabh Paeo, Kaho Lai Pahan Pooj Sir Kaho Lai Ling Garay Latkaeo, Kaho Lakheo Har Aavachi Disa Mai Kaho Ko Pachah Sis Nivaeo, Ko-ou Butaan Kou Poojat Hai Pso Ko-ou Mitran Kaou Poojan Dhaeo, Koor Kiria Orjheo Sabh Jag Sri Bhagwan Ko Bhayd Na Paa-eo.

What if you close your eyes and sit in meditation like a crane/heron; take ablutions in the seven seas- but this way you loose both this world and the next; if one continues to indulge in sinful things, he wastes his life; Let all listen to the truth I proclaim- only he who loves attains the God. Some worship the stone idol and other wear a lingam around their neck; some recognize Akal Purkh in south and others bow their heads to the west; some ignorant ones worship the images and others worship the dead; the entire world is engrossed in false rituals and none knows the mystery of the Divine. -----Guru Gobind Singh, Akal Ustit, D.G. Page, 14-15

He further points out on DG page 24 that artificial rituals like Hom Jag are useless and are not equal to devotion and Naam;

ਬਿਨ ਭਗਤ ਸਕਤ ਨਹੀ ਪਰਤ ਪਾਨ ॥ ਬਹੁ ਕਰਤ ਹੋਮ ਅਰ ਜੱਗ ਦਾਨ ॥ ਬਿਨ ਏਕ ਨਾਮ ਇਕ ਚਿੱਤ ਲੀਨ ॥ ਫੋਕਟੋ ਸਰਬ ਧਰਮਾ ਬਿਹੀਨ ॥ ੨੦ ॥ ੧੪੦ ॥

Bin Bhagat Sakat Nhai Parat Paan, Boh Karat Hom Ur Jag Daan, Bin Ek Naam Ik Chit Leen, Fokto Sarb Dharma Baheen.

Thou can not realize Akal Purkh with out power of devotion; many perform yajnas (Akhand Path) and give charities though; Except for placing the Name of Real One in heart, all other deeds are futile.

Virinder S. Grewal
Williamston, MI

May 28, 2009
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa..Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh...

I think that the Guru Granth Sahab can provide views and answers to most of our lifes questions.

I think for every question...because our Guru is complete........it depends on how we take it.......

recently I heard that one family refused to follow Hukumnama because it was too stringent and tough for them to follow...so they asked for another Hukumnama...... such a shame on us .....

Chardi Kala.......

vsgrewal48895

Writer
SPNer
Mar 12, 2009
Michigan
Dear Ads Khalsa Ji,

Spiritual blindness/ignorance is the shore less ocean of darkness, with no light at the end of the tunnel. The belief in selected Hukamnamas or the philosopher’s stone, the jewel in the serpent’s head, alchemy, and miracles is all a matter of ignorance. Those engaged in the worship of idols, symbols, materialism, gods, goddesses, in fasting, uttering blessings and curses, are all living in spiritual ignorance. By reciting Sabd Guru’s hymns without understanding, even a good person cannot find acceptance by Akal Purkh. Without reflecting on the message of the AGGS or applying them in life, no wandering mind can find stability.

Ignorance is a lack of knowledge, or a willful lack of desire to improve the efficiency, merit, effectiveness or usefulness of one's actions. Ignorance is also a "state of being ignorant" or remaining unaware or uninformed.

Spiritual ignorance is a very serious matter. It is said that "What you don't know won't hurt you". We all know that is incorrect and yet it seems that many people have adopted that philosophy toward spiritual matters. Many people are destroyed for lack of spiritual knowledge. Spiritual ignorance is not merely the lack of knowledge, but also the self-destructive turning away from the truth in all areas of life. To be ignorant of one's ignorance is a further malady of the ignorant. Due to spiritual ignorance the practice of any faith is quite inconsistent with the tenets of that faith. Guru Nanak in Siri Raag and Sloke Vaaran to Vadheek ponders on the subject;

ਸਿਰੀਰਾਗੁ ਮਹਲਾ ੧ ਘਰੁ ੪ ॥

Siree Raag, First Mehl, Fourth House

ਕੀਤਾ ਕਹਾ ਕਰੇ ਮਨਿ ਮਾਨੁ ॥ ਦੇਵਣਹਾਰੇ ਕੈ ਹਥਿ ਦਾਨੁ ॥ ਭਾਵੈ ਦੇਇ ਨ ਦੇਈ ਸੋਇ ॥ ਕੀਤੇ ਕੈ ਕਹਿਐ ਕਿਆ ਹੋਇ ॥੧॥ ਆਪੇ ਸਚੁ ਭਾਵੈ ਤਿਸੁ ਸਚੁ ॥ ਅੰਧਾ ਕਚਾ ਕਚੁ ਨਿਕਚੁ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥ ਜਾ ਕੇ ਰੁਖ ਬਿਰਖ ਆਰਾਉ ॥ ਜੇਹੀ ਧਾਤੁ ਤੇਹਾ ਤਿਨ ਨਾਉ ॥ ਫੁਲੁ ਭਾਉ ਫਲੁ ਲਿਖਿਆ ਪਾਇ ॥ ਆਪਿ ਬੀਜਿ ਆਪੇ ਹੀ ਖਾਇ ॥੨॥ ਕਚੀ ਕੰਧ ਕਚਾ ਵਿਚਿ ਰਾਜੁ ॥ ਮਤਿ ਅਲੂਣੀ ਫਿਕਾ ਸਾਦੁ ॥ ਨਾਨਕ ਆਣੇ ਆਵੈ ਰਾਸਿ ॥ ਵਿਣੁ ਨਾਵੈ ਨਾਹੀ ਸਾਬਾਸਿ ॥੩॥੩੨॥

Bẖāvai ḏe▫e na ḏe▫ī so▫e.Kīṯā kahā kare man mān. Ḏevaṇhāre kai hath ḏān. Kīṯe kai kahi▫ai ki▫ā ho▫e. ||1|| Āpe sacẖ bẖāvai ṯis sacẖ. Anḏẖā kacẖā kacẖ nikacẖ. ||1|| rahā▫o. Jā ke rukẖ birakẖ ārā▫o. Jehī ḏẖāṯ ṯehā ṯin nā▫o. Ful bẖā▫o fal likẖi▫ā pā▫e. Āp bīj āpe hī kẖā▫e. ||2|| Kacẖī kanḏẖ kacẖā vicẖ rāj. Maṯ alūṇī fikā sāḏ. Nānak āṇe āvai rās. viṇ nāvai nāhī sābās. ||3||32||

The seeker indulges in self esteem and pride? Yet all the gifts lie in Bestower’s hands. To give or not lies in Its pleasure. What power lies in creature’s self will? ||1|| God Itself is True; Truth is pleasing to Its Will. Man, purblind, with no illumination is all ignorantly raw. ||1||Pause|| It is the Master of trees and plants who cherishes them. Each is named according to its nature. Each is destined to grow flowers and fruits according to its devotion. Each raises the crop that he sows ||2||. Frail is the wall, of which the mason is raw. With poor realization, no joy in life will come. Fulfillment comes alone by Akal Purkh’s Grace, says Nanak. Divine approbation does not come with out devotion||3||32|| ------Guru Nanak, Siri Raag, AGGS, Page, 25

ਮਨਹੁ ਜਿ ਅੰਧੇ ਘੂਪ ਕਹਿਆ ਬਿਰਦੁ ਨ ਜਾਣਨੀ ॥ਮਨਿ ਅੰਧੈ ਊਂਧੈ ਕਵਲ ਦਿਸਨਿ ਖਰੇ ਕਰੂਪ ॥ਇਕਿ ਕਹਿ ਜਾਣਨਿ ਕਹਿਆ ਬੁਝਨਿ ਤੇ ਨਰ ਸੁਘੜ ਸਰੂਪ ॥ ਇਕਨਾ ਨਾਦੁ ਨ ਬੇਦੁ ਨ ਗੀਅ ਰਸੁ ਰਸੁ ਕਸੁ ਨ ਜਾਣੰਤਿ ॥ ਇਕਨਾ ਸਿਧਿ ਨ ਬੁਧਿ ਨ ਅਕਲਿ ਸਰ ਅਖਰ ਕਾ ਭੇਉ ਨ ਲਹੰਤਿ ॥ ਨਾਨਕ ਤੇ ਨਰ ਅਸਲਿ ਖਰ ਜਿ ਬਿਨੁ ਗੁਣ ਗਰਬੁ ਕਰੰਤ ॥੧੫॥

Manhu je anḏẖė gẖūp kahi¬ā biraḏ na jāṇnī. Man anḏẖai ūʼnḏẖai kaval ḏisan kẖarė karūp. Ik kahi jāṇan kahi¬ā bujẖan ṯė nar sugẖaṛ sarūp. Iknā nāḏ na beḏ na gī▫a ras ras kas na jāṇanṯ. Iknā siḏẖ na buḏẖ na akal sar akẖar kā bẖe▫o na lāhanṯ. Nānak ṯe nar asal kẖar jė bin guṇ garab karanṯ. ||15||

Those stone-blind in mind do not know the significance of the Master’s Word. Such mind blind are upturned lotuses and horribly ugly to behold. Those that know how to express the Truth, and follow what is imparted are wise of aspect. Some have neither realization of the holy word or holy texts nor have the joy of holy chanting. Some do not achieve or has any understanding or discretion by not realizing good and evil, and others by not knowing the meaning of holy Word is veritable asses with out merit and full of pride says Nanak.||15|| -----Guru Nanak, Sloke Vaaran To Vadheek, AGGS, Page, 1411

Spiritual blindness is grounded in falsehood, wrong and evil intentions. These selves are embedded in the consciousness of the individual or limited consciousness. This grows out of a personal attachment to the limitation born of falsity. It is further aggravated by consciousness governed by the life-ego veiling the Divine Knowledge.

Divine Knowledge is the awareness and understanding of facts, truths or information gained in the form of learning. The purpose of Divine knowledge is to find the Truth and develop inner cleanliness. It is developed by subjugating animal instincts and developing godly instincts or virtues. It is altogether a mistake to let ignorance dictate the policy of the truth at any time, but particularly so in an age when the truth has to contend with almost insurmountable difficulties. Ignorance is preferable to error. An individual is considered less remote from the truth if he believes in nothing than the one who believes what is wrong. Spiritual ignorance is going to persist in individuals, who do not try to sharpen their mind without an active attempt in controlling and purifying it with the medicine of Truth. Once the mind is brought to a stand still, in between two thoughts, it could energize itself and qualify itself to receive Akal Purkh’s Grace and be blessed with Divine knowledge. By remembering Akal Purkh’s Name and doing good deeds one is "spiritual awakened.” This may be accompanied by a sufficient change in one’s personality to bring about an understanding in many different forms of the "educational variety." Such a change may occur slowly over a period of time. The individual finally realizes that he has undergone a profound transformation in his reaction to life. He may realize that such a change could hardly have been brought about by him alone. What often takes place in a few months could seldom have been accomplished even through years of self-discipline. With a few exceptions these individuals tap an unsuspected inner resource, which they presently identify with their own conception of a Power greater than themselves. Most of us think this awareness of a Power greater than ourselves is the essence of spiritual experience and call it "God-consciousness" achieved through the guidance of an enlightened spiritual Master.

Conclusion:

Misapprehensions are enchanting only to the spiritually blind mind. Divine knowledge alone removes ignorance. Once ignorance is dispelled, all its misapprehensions end. Once the mind is purified of egoism and illumined with the spiritual wisdom, all its misapprehensions end. Upon attaining this state of direct vision or understanding of the self, non-apprehension of reality will not rise again. When the true wisdom is attained, the unreality vanishes. Only the pure, all-pervading consciousness remains. Fullness of divine knowledge always and necessarily means some understanding of our ignorance, which is always conducive to both humility and reverence.

Cordially,

Virinder S. Grewal

japjisahib04

Mentor
SPNer
Jan 22, 2005
kuwait
Dear All
Guru Amardas who confirms meeting his beloved, ‘anand bhaiya meri mai satguru mai paeya’ and has composed these pankties was an idolater from the childhood till he had taken ‘sharan’ in Guru Ghar and was crowned Guruship. This pankti express the image of teenage love. In this pankti Guru Sahib is explaining the secret of pleasing His beloved and eternal bliss. As a lover does not require any training, rituals or books to fall in love especially when he is in his teens and he himself finds likings and dislikings of his beloved and praises her until he gets and marry her, in similar way Guru Sahib is telling us when we succeed to realize our roots or reach in our teens or develop simiplicity, there will a real tadap to meet with our creator and complete orchestra within body will start playing automatically. Thus he says, ‘karmi sehaj na upjai vin sehajy sehsa na jaey’- by religious rituals (like by idol worship, difficult yog sadhan, difficult yog asn, fasting, (chalihey), pilgrimage, akhand path, ginti minti jap tap, walking bare foot to Gurudwara, simplicity is not achieved but it comes by itself)

Now how to attain this longing or reach in teenage state, guru sahib in next pankti is telling us ‘re man mariya tu sada raho harnalai’ i.e. by singing His praise. Since we don’t have time we invite professional kirtiniye. This is where the veil of ignorance takes the grip. The other day when I was listening to the most famous raagi bhai chaman Lal Singh, I was shocked with full white beard on his face he was copying the tune of a glamrous song ridiculing the essence of gur sabd and hundreds of sanghat sitting were simply enjoying the tune when the tune and wording of that particular filmy songs takes the SURTI in the Theatre at once. Whereas akhand baani resonates everywhere, its simplicity is its beauty. A Sikh, by definition, is someone who submits to the Hukam of the Divine Knowledge, not someone who tries to play smarter than the Guru by reciting ‘elahi baani’ in a fashion other than set by Guru Nanak. Guru Nanak has taken the pains to set this invaluable Sabd to the perfect Raag. So that when we sing in that raag, and veecharao (contemplate not debate) it, in due course we are taken to the spiritual world of the Akal Purakh from where it originally emanated. Clearly, only that raag is prescribed by which a feeling of spirituality is aroused. Our Gurus were music lovers. In order to make union of sabd with surat music was added as medium by our Gurus. And our Guru’s have followed certain rules to use this medium by adding ghar no. tall etc.
If anyone really wants to reach in his teens for Love with His creator, I suggest just go to the following site and listen the sabd’ Mohy anaath’ in ‘u-tube’. Perhaps the little girls don’t know the meaning but the job they have done, the most famous raagis are not able to do. You will not stop repeating the same sabd again but will start signing by yourself again and againandthe moment you stop listening you will start feeling insecured. This is what our guru sahib wanted.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEYNbcZSiSI
Best regards
Mohinder Singh Sahni
Kuwait

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Mohinder ji

What you have written is too beautiful to describe! :)

AAD ji,
imho that is "gurmatta.." shining through (Gurmatta is my definition for Raang of Gurmatt"..or manifestation of Gurmatt.
When we begin to live Gurmatt..its colours begin to show..hence such beautiful pieces of writing flow from our keyboards...imho....
we will be getting a lot of such posts from our newest Mentor Ji...May Guru Ji bless us all

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Giani Ji
I am not worth this praise.
Best regards
Mohinder Singh Sahni

Guru Piayare jios..
That..is another Raang of Gurmatt..I always marvel at the level of HUMILITY that Guru Arjun Ji sahib had....His Sikhs who love him should be able to "achieve" some of that too...with HIs Kirpa...Shaheedahn de Sirtaaj, Bani da Bohitha...Bani da Jahaz..Ocean liner Captain that carries us across the Maya world so well.....and He always stand in the snagats jorras...go to Satta balwand Jis home to ask for "forgiveness"...How I wish..i could be even .000000000001% of My Beloved Guru Ji..I see soem of that humility in many Gurmukhs..Guur Ji hor Kirpa Karan Jios...I try and avoid both Nidiya and Praise..but the TRUTH is hard to ignore.so please forgive me if i have overstepped the bounds..
Keep in chardeekalla always

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: