• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

A Great Man Makes Others Feel Big, Not Small

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
A Great man makes others feel big, not small

Harry ji,

Great quote. Please allow me to have the audacity to change it a bit.

"A Great man makes others feel EVEN GREATER and BIGGER, not small".

The reason I had the courage to do that is to share some historical facts that I am sure you and many others of this wonderful forum are aware of.

Guru Gobind Singh,our 10th Guru sacrificed his Dad, his four Sons, added his Dad, Guru Teg Bahadur's Gurbani in the SGGS, our only Guru.

Many claim that Guru Gobind added his Dad's Gurbani only at the end which is commonly known as " MAHALEI NOVEN DEI SALOK"- Saloks from the ninth Guru on page 1426 of the SGGS. However, the actual heading is: ਸਲੋਕ ਮਹਲਾ ੯ ॥ Shalok, Ninth Mehl.

I wish they had studied the whole SGGS before making that claim and still hope if they have not done that yet to do so now because we, as Sikhs never stop learning till our last breath.

The reason I commented on this one is that our visionary Guru added his Dad's Gurbani in many parts of the SGGS, our only Guru where ever he found He found is appropriate not just at the end. And the most important thing is that he ended all Saloks with the Nom de Plume, Nanak as all other Gurus did in the SGGS as a very good principle to avoid tampering. They wrote the name of the Bhagats at the end to give them the full credit of their idea based thought process which passed the very high benchmark set by Guru Nanak.

This is also the most important reason to look at the Dasam Granth with one's jaundiced eyes where the writers call him PATSHAEE DASVIN (The 10th Patshah), which is sheer meism and arrogance, the two traits our 10th Guru did not possess.

The above claim becomes more bewildering because the word PATSHAH is only used for Ik Ong Kaar in the SGGS, our only Guru. Our Gurus only gave themselves numbers, nothing more, just like Guru Gobind Singh did when he added his Dad's Gurbani

Now coming back to Guru Gobind Singh, the great polyglot poet, an awesome man, an obedient son who decided to become an orphan for the greater good of humankind not for the sake of Sikhi but practicing the Sikhi trait of justice towards all, a wonderful husband and a father who again was not afraid to sacrifice his own 4 sons so we all can become better humans as we are still trying today with our every breath.

Guru Gobind Singh made us Greater than himself when he went on his knees in front of the Panj Pyaras to whom he had given the Khandei de Pahul, to take the same Pahul from them.

This is the way he made us Greater and Bigger than he thought of himself was.

I apologise for the long thought.

Thanks & regards

Tejwant Singh

Original

Writer
SPNer
Jan 9, 2011
London UK
Harry ji,

Great quote. Please allow me to have the audacity to change it a bit.

"A Great man makes others feel EVEN GREATER and BIGGER, not small".

The reason I had the courage to do that is to share some historical facts that I am sure you and many others of this wonderful forum are aware of.

Guru Gobind Singh,our 10th Guru sacrificed his Dad, his four Sons, added his Dad, Guru Teg Bahadur's Gurbani in the SGGS, our only Guru.

Many claim that Guru Gobind added his Dad's Gurbani only at the end which is commonly known as " MAHALEI NOVEN DEI SALOK"- Saloks from the ninth Guru on page 1426 of the SGGS. However, the actual heading is: ਸਲੋਕ ਮਹਲਾ ੯ ॥ Shalok, Ninth Mehl.

I wish they had studied the whole SGGS before making that claim and still hope if they have not done that yet to do so now because we, as Sikhs never stop learning till our last breath.

The reason I commented on this one is that our visionary Guru added his Dad's Gurbani in many parts of the SGGS, our only Guru where ever he found He found is appropriate not just at the end. And the most important thing is that he ended all Saloks with the Nom de Plume, Nanak as all other Gurus did in the SGGS as a very good principle to avoid tampering. They wrote the name of the Bhagats at the end to give them the full credit of their idea based thought process which passed the very high benchmark set by Guru Nanak.

This is also the most important reason to look at the Dasam Granth with one's jaundiced eyes where the writers call him PATSHAEE DASVIN (The 10th Patshah), which is sheer meism and arrogance, the two traits our 10th Guru did not possess.

The above claim becomes more bewildering because the word PATSHAH is only used for Ik Ong Kaar in the SGGS, our only Guru. Our Gurus only gave themselves numbers, nothing more, just like Guru Gobind Singh did when he added his Dad's Gurbani

Now coming back to Guru Gobind Singh, the great polyglot poet, an awesome man, an obedient son who decided to become an orphan for the greater good of humankind not for the sake of Sikhi but practicing the Sikhi trait of justice towards all, a wonderful husband and a father who again was not afraid to sacrifice his own 4 sons so we all can become better humans as we are still trying today with our every breath.

Guru Gobind Singh made us Greater than himself when he went on his knees in front of the Panj Pyaras to whom he had given the Khandei de Pahul, to take the same Pahul from them.

This is the way he made us Greater and Bigger than he thought of himself was.

I apologise for the long thought.

Thanks & regards

Tejwant Singh

@Tejwant Singh

As a matter of fact, some very useful information can be obtained from the original Granth at Kartarpur. In reference to your text above, Guru Arjun Dev Ji somehow knew that Guru Tegh Bahadur would also compose the Bani and accordingly left blank spaces for 15 Ragas out of the 31 recorded in GGS. In the same manner he left blank space at the end of the Bani not composed in Ragas. The rewriting of GGSJ by Bhai Mani Singh at Damdama under Guru Govind's direction included the Bani of the 9th Guru in the appropriate places. Furthermore, some commentators are of the belief that the verse, bhula huah bandan shoota [1429 SGGSJ], is from the 10th Guru. This is largely based on evidence found at Patna Sahib from Guru Ji's handwritten copies.

Take care !

Last edited by a moderator:

japjisahib04

Mentor
SPNer
Jan 22, 2005
kuwait
Tejwant Singh

As a matter of fact, some very useful information can be obtained from the original Granth at Kartarpur. In reference to your text above, Guru Arjun Dev Ji somehow knew that Guru Tegh Bahadur would also compose the Bani and accordingly left blank spaces for 15 Ragas out of the 31 recorded in GGS. In the same manner he left blank space at the end of the Bani not composed in Ragas. The rewriting of GGSJ by Bhai Mani Singh at Damdama under Guru Govind's direction included the Bani of the 9th Guru in the appropriate places. Furthermore, some commentators are of the belief that the verse, bhula huah bandan shoota [1429 SGGSJ], is from the 10th Guru. This is largely based on evidence found at Patna Sahib from Guru Ji's handwritten copies.Take care !
Pankti 'Bal hua bandhan chutai sabh kitch hoat uppai when we interpret based on gurbani the moment I discover the divine treasure within and live accordingly I am liberated from the superfluous acitivities and will devote energy towards creativity. But if we link this pankti with some stories then it matter otherwise it matters not whether pankti is of Tenth or Nineth guru.

Original

Writer
SPNer
Jan 9, 2011
London UK
Pankti 'Bal hua bandhan chutai sabh kitch hoat uppai when we interpret based on gurbani the moment I discover the divine treasure within and live accordingly I am liberated from the superfluous acitivities and will devote energy towards creativity. But if we link this pankti with some stories then it matter otherwise it matters not whether pankti is of Tenth or Nineth guru.

Japjisahib Ji

You've taken the intended msg for Tejwant Singh out of context. It was in a manner, endearing and complimentary to the on-going discussion and not an interpretation. Furthermore, I specifically used "some commentators" as a suggestive guide to help with the various authors of Gurbani from an academic perspective. It will definitely be interesting to have an authentic account of all the contributors of Bani as enshrined within SGGSJ. Not that it will change the substance but will in fact take the count from 36 to 37 contributors. But, please, that's by-the-by talk for academians and not for believers like you and me. For us it's the letter.

Many thanks

Apr 11, 2007
Any society and social group should attain a good level of understanding on it's elders izzat and it's youths kadir. In society were this thinking does not collate the fabric of society is always forming never standing and never peaceful. Especially when peace is really the expressive message of religion.

Original

Writer
SPNer
Jan 9, 2011
London UK
Any society and social group should attain a good level of understanding on it's elders izzat and it's youths kadir. In society were this thinking does not collate the fabric of society is always forming never standing and never peaceful. Especially when peace is really the expressive message of religion.

Parma Ji

Have I said something to the contrary ?

Apr 11, 2007
Parma Ji

Have I said something to the contrary ?
Original ji,
No sir; I am simply making a statement regarding the title of the debate. It's just a statement in relation to the title and my definition of it. Please if you don't agree with my statement let's debate it. I like to improve myself constantly learning constantly being a sikh. So I always try to come back on here to gain constructive criticism and to work out if the fault lies within the thinker, the thinking or the thought? God bless. If I have sir, I hope that you are big enough to forgive this humble minded soul. As I hope I haven't said anything to the contrary?

Last edited:

Original

Writer
SPNer
Jan 9, 2011
London UK
Original ji,
No sir; I am simply making a statement regarding the title of the debate. It's just a statement in relation to the title and my definition of it. Please if you don't agree with my statement let's debate it. I like to improve myself constantly learning constantly being a sikh. So I always try to come back on here to gain constructive criticism and to work out if the fault lies within the thinker, the thinking or the thought? God bless. If I have sir, I hope that you are big enough to forgive this humble minded soul. As I hope I haven't said anything to the contrary?

Pyara Parma Ji

Tusi dil jit lita - beautifully written ! Besides, apan putt han Punjab da - sarien bhoolan chukan mauf hundien hun !

jehna khooien chun bhar gaya asqik pani
o'heio methian ta baki sarian na.

Your words are touching and sincere - thank you !

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN
Pyara Parma Ji

Tusi dil jit lita - beautifully written ! Besides, apan putt han Punjab da - sarien bhoolan chukan mauf hundien hun !

jehna khooien chun bhar gaya asqik pani
o'heio methian ta baki sarian na.

Your words are touching and sincere - thank you !

Please stick to English language for the benefit of those who cannot understand Punjabi. Thank you. :geeksingh:

Apr 11, 2007
God bless sir's . When we start to view others to be like ourselves at that point then we see truth is nothing more then the soul in us all. There is no me or you only the shabad Guru that is the source of all explanation of all source's and answers and development. Let's keep our praises for waheguru. Individually we are all nothing in the sat sangat is where we are all home. The presence of good wholesome community spiritually inclined individuals. Some understand the energy others take longer to progress. The is no hurry when something is immeasurable when does the time to awaken start and when does it end? The soul. God bless. Sat Siri Akal.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2007
I think the term that comes to mind is blighty branded lol. Ha ha ha. You lot never really learned the English term and termed it Blighty Bander.(Indian slang for cheeky monkey)and to the general public (when an Indian man uses the slang term James Bond the last word it is considered a swear in indian slang terms it means they have just saved you from getting shafted). It's the way my own community treated me being disrespectful people that back stab each other then never ask a word never. Respect you're own communities. Learn to Love and respect to all and each other. God bless. This divide and conquer eugenics rule to divide communities and families is over for good finshed for good this thought process needed some sorting out. Some families will still try it on and try abiding by it but people are clued on now. Look to peace people using religion as a tool for other agendas and other ideas other things other than peace is never a good idea. You disrespect god. No one has said or done anything wrong it's realising where we stand who you are and what is your former. Respect sat sangat ji. God bless

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2007
Some have failed there own systems and theories. Don't blame the individuals they were always pawns in the game's. This something for nothing Culture not religion but culture to define religion is a fantasy. To format scenariO exercises and expect responses froM it are a Complete waste of time and money and effort. An educated mind just laughs. Only the strong Survive and only the wise excel, is a concept Transformed from the definition of a hell. Humanity isn't defined by the way of practice's but by a way to the heart a true formation of life and culture. Love is a concept that cannot be controlled on how systems evolve, Or how the system revolves. You cannot define Love, the true measure can only be simplified with the grace of God.

Last edited:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: