• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Yoga V/s Simran V/s Meditation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
sorry, but this just all comes back to the self, me, me, me, its 6.49am here, its time for action, work, time to inject into Creation whatever you can, to give everything, not to the self, but back into the melting pot, I am going over the park opposite to pick up other peoples dogshit, enjoy your warmth and loving embrace!

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
Bhagat ji...
Life is tough...
On one hand you have waheguru grabbing your dyaan during simran and pulling you deep within your inner being and making himself known to you...
...on the other hand you have the forum crew telling you that you are doing it all wrong and are just having a drug like experience...
Time to chose....
Lol this ^^^ exactly.

Waheguru or World?
I think I'll go with Waheguru. Not because someone told me to. But because it has become self-evident through the practice of meditation.

And after I understood Waheguru, all the religious texts of the world started making sense to me.

If my simran is one big drug like experience...then my waheguru is one hell of a drug manufacturer/deeler

His drug allows me to detach momentarily from the Web I am caught in and allow me to recognise my creator...to see his light and to hear his sound...and to be enveloped in His warmth and loving embrace...

I love that drug...I am addicted to it....never free me from that drug...ever.

God bless.
Yea if this could be made into a drug or app as Japji says, then I am sure it would have, a long long time ago. But unfortunately meditation is just another beast.

Meditation (yog, simran) is training the mind to see Waheguru resonating deeply within you and through the world, all the time.

It's a simple but powerful method. ANYONE and I mean anyone can do this. No matter who they are, deaf, blind, mute, ill, old, young, me, you, they can do meditation.

The same cannot be said for other methods.

Anyways, last vid for tonight, this one is from Basics of Sikhi, teacher - Jugraj Singh.

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
I can see the usefulness of meditation as an activity for the mind. There is ample evidence, as BhagatSingh shared with the video. If some people use it focus their mind on the Creator, and then carry that in their heart while engaging with the world (which is simran, dhiaan, jap, etc.) then more power to them.

However, equating the practice of meditation with simran, dhiaan, jap, etc I think is a misnomer. It doesn't match with the rest of Gurbani. imho.

Anyway, I've got housework to do. :)
Lol Ishna you are like 99% there. The last 1% is just that yog (unitign with God), simran(remember), dhyan (single-minded concentration) and jap (chant) are all synonyms for meditation, as meditation is commonly used in Sikh circles. It is the primary method taught in Guru Granth Sahib. Hence why even in English translations they use the term meditation.

Anyways, enjoy your housework. Goodnight from my end.

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
Harry ji...

I don't sleep for the rest of the day lol...

Picking up other people's dog shit....thats a great thing to do. Wish I was able to do that. Since I moved to solihull it's all I see...people not picking up their dogs mess..

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Lol this ^^^ exactly.

Waheguru or World?
I think I'll go with Waheguru. Not because someone told me to. But because it has become self-evident through the practice of meditation.

And after I understood Waheguru, all the religious texts of the world started making sense to me.

Yea if this could be made into a drug or app as Japji says, then I am sure it would have, a long long time ago. But unfortunately meditation is just another beast.

Meditation (yog, simran) is training the mind to see Waheguru resonating deeply within you and through the world, all the time.

It's a simple but powerful method. ANYONE and I mean anyone can do this. No matter who they are, deaf, blind, mute, ill, old, young, me, you, they can do meditation.

The same cannot be said for other methods.

Anyways, last vid for tonight, this one is from Basics of Sikhi, teacher - Jugraj Singh.

If people believe in the rubbish that Jugraj Singh spits out in the name of Sikhi, then those people have no idea what Sikhi is all about which is disgraceful. They should look into Sikhi with the depth it requires rather than trying to swim in ankle deep waters.

They also perhaps may be the parrots of Gurbani and have memorised the key parts which they inhale deeper and hold their breath just to feel high for a moment or two.

Jugraj Singh claims that Sikhi believes in Hell, Heaven and reincarnation among other rubbish and also in derawalas whom he calls them Brahmgyanis that one must have in one's life.

I have interacted with him many a times and with others who used to believe in his nonsense and do not anymore. These kind of people like Jugraj Singh are the RSS kind who want to insert Hindutva in Sikhi as it has been done for centuries.

It is a shame when people come to know that Mann- Mind is mentioned 4992 times in the SGGS , our only Guru for some reason. Yet they ignore the pricelessness of this gem, are not interested in using the tools given to us in the SGGS to lasso our mind because they want to feel cuddly by being parrots with one ugly plumage.

This guy is fooling many as the derawalas do. It is a shame he is abusing Sikhi baana to advance his RSS Non-Sikhi agenda.

If some believe in Jugraj Singh's unSikhi stance, I would urge them to be a Sikh as per Gurmat and come out of the closet and share their thoughts about what attracted them to this con man who is peddling Sikhi as some kind of snake oil.

Also to others, please share your thoughts.

Thanks & regards

Tejwant Singh

Last edited:

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
If you dislike basics of sikhi...you must hate mysimran.info :)

Based on my own personal experience which I cannot and will no deny...I see no problem in what jugraj says... or the seva he does.

God bless.

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
If you dislike basics of sikhi...you must hate mysimran.info :)

Based on my own personal experience which I cannot and will no deny...I see no problem in what jugraj says... or the seva he does.

God bless.

Chaz Singh ji,

Guru Fateh.

First of all, please try to be honest about things. I never said I disliked Basics of Sikhi. That is your assumption from your own thought process. I just said what Jugraj believes in and how he misleads people about Sikhi. It is in the videos for you to check.

Lastly, thanks for admitting that you believe in Heaven, Hell and Reincarnation and Derawalas. All these things are anti Sikhi. Finally, the truth has come out.

Thanks for being candor and honest about it.

Tejwant Singh

Last edited:

Original

Writer
SPNer
Jan 9, 2011
London UK
The Naam is not a word. I can't describe Naam in its entirety; it is that flavour that gets mentioned, that only the one who tastes it can know. From what I've experienced (very small tastes of what I think was Naam) Naam is the Sat Naam, the perfect Reality of the universe, the Oneness, the Truth that is there if the veil of illusion is peeled away.

We peel back the veil by contemplating the Shabad, reflecting on life experiences, following the Hukam, and constantly keeping the Oneness, Reality, Naam in mind (remembering, dhiaaee, simran). This leads us to be virtuous at all times, because it is all One, it is all Ik Onkar.

Loving the Naam, treasuring it in your heart and mind is the real meditation that Gurbani is talking about, I believe.

Ishna Ji

Let me assist with the little that I believe to be rationally plausible. Nam is an idea, a thought process of the ancient Civilisations. But before we pick up on Nam it is important from an intellectual investigation perspective to scan over the historical archives in order to reconstruct a reliable past of the people who coined the term "nam".

I'll reserve much of my own theoretical reasoning and leave you to ask yourself of the "race n sex" of the people of Punjab. It will be interesting to hear what your finds are, notably, the Indus Valley civilisation. This will help define and narrow down the authors of SGGSJ in terms of their race, sex, origin, culture, belief, etc. to fully reconstruct their past.

Otherwise, what you've written above is beautiful and very much consistent with Sikh ideology.

Original

Writer
SPNer
Jan 9, 2011
London UK
I would always choose sitting down and reading and reflecting on Gurbani over sitting down and chanting one word. The lessons learned from the Guru open our mind to perceive the Naam. Everything else flows from here. The actual practice of meditation might be useful for easing anxiety and helping us to think more clearly, but I'm not convinced it's the gateway to Truth. The

Slowly but surely you will come to understand. Sikhi is alive n kicking all the time and is not something where you close your eyes or appease to please kind of attitude, no, not at all. Not until the penny drops will satnam reveal itself to you. And, that too from within. God will create all the right conditions without you knowing what's happening in your life and then, "WOW" - O' my God ! will be the only acknowledgement on your part. Your mind cannot fathom the unfathomable - trust me !

Original

Writer
SPNer
Jan 9, 2011
London UK
Lady n Gents

Let's sum it up !

Move away from everything and tell me, have you ever fallen in love, unconditionally, besotted beyond belief and all you thought, saw and the rest was the object of your love, that is, Mr Handsome in Ishna's case and Miss Beautiful in your boys case ? That is it - from there starts the journey ahead - introspection ! Call it contemplation, meditation, gurmat style, alien style, whatever, but is actually the doorway to the self [me'ism] which will lead you to the whole'ism [Ikonkar].

The me ego melts into the divine ego - only when your in love. Only when your in love are you out of time n space - think of the times when you were on a date - time stopped - when 2 hearts beat together it's an everlasting song - Gurbani is that song - you just need to tune-in right.

Goodnight n Godbless

PS - the beauty in all we do on SPN is that we're all buzzing around the "word" of Gur Ghar like a B around a flower - extracting nectar n pollinating flower. It's not the content but the connection that matters -

More another time - Ciao

japjisahib04

Mentor
SPNer
Jan 22, 2005
kuwait
It is a shame when people come to know that Mann- Mind is mentioned 4992 times in the SGGS , our only Guru for some reason. Yet they ignore the pricelessness of this gem, are not interested in using the tools given to us in the SGGS to lasso our mind because they want to feel cuddly by being parrots with one ugly plumage.
Yes Tejwant Jee, I 100% agree with you. Contrary to the philosophy and belief of whole world, their prophets and sages, gurmat philosophy is unique in fixing the manh not by silencing but by merging the divine trait in it, 'manh jeetai jaghjeet'. Gurmat forcefully tells us, 'ਸਨਕਾਦਿਕ ਨਾਰਦ ਮੁਨਿ ਸੇਖਾ ॥ ਤਿਨ ਭੀ ਤਨ ਮਹਿ ਮਨੁ ਨਹੀ ਪੇਖਾ ॥੩॥ SGGS.1266. All these sages those who propagated to have meditated on his name for years were not able to trace the manh what to talk of conquering or meeting the God or or ਸਿਧ ਸਾਧਿਕ ਮੋਨਿ ਧਾਰੀ ਰਹੇ ਲਿਵ ਲਾਇ ਤਿਨ ਭੀ ਤਨ ਮਹਿ ਮਨੁ ਨ ਦਿਖਾਵਣਿਆ॥੭॥ - they continued meditated but were not able to see the manh. p.124.3.

And guru sahib advises, 'ਮਨ ਮੇਰੇ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਕੈ ਭਾਣੈ ਚਲੁ ॥ ਨਿਜ ਘਰਿ ਵਸਹਿ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਪੀਵਹਿ ਤਾ ਸੁਖ ਲਹਹਿ ਮਹਲੁ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥ SGGS. 37-2 How is it possible, when we have not been able to conquer our manh and are thinking of conquering the world(of inner universe) ||3||

Therefore, while the world religions talk of opening of dasam duar, in the head, on the contrary gurbani tells us, if the door of manh is opened - ready to listen and descriminatary intellect is achieved, consider your dasam duar is opened. Similarly everyone talks of listening to fictitious chirping of anhaad naad and pretend to experience the God, gurmat says, 'ਨਾਨਕ ਸੇ ਅਖੜੀਆਂ ਬਿਅੰਨਿ ਜਿਨੀ ਡਿਸੰਦੋ ਮਾ ਪਿਰੀ॥੧॥ those who have experienced are exclusive, loving.Thus instead of focussing to listen chirping gurbani tells me, 'ਸੁਣਿ ਸਾਜਨ ਪ੍ਰੇਮ ਸੰਦੇਸਰਾ ਅਖੀ ਤਾਰ ਲਗੰਨਿ॥ instead of expecting to listen the fictitious chirping as naad, stay always tuned ਅਖੀ ਤਾਰ ਲਗੰਨਿ with message of divine love and selflessly connecting with truth.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Move away from everything and tell me, have you ever fallen in love, unconditionally, besotted beyond belief and all you thought, saw and the rest was the object of your love, that is, Mr Handsome in Ishna's case and Miss Beautiful in your boys case ?

yes, I have, it is not what I consider to be a natural state, I actually consider it a false state, a Romeo and Juliet state that has no meaning in the real world, because that love cannot exist in the real world, at some point the R and J state must give way to reality if it is to survive, I find Wuthering Heights to be a good example of this, how this fantastic love cannot actually co exist alongside the real world.

That is it - from there starts the journey ahead - introspection ! Call it contemplation, meditation, gurmat style, alien style, whatever, but is actually the doorway to the self [me'ism] which will lead you to the whole'ism [Ikonkar].

No, what it actually is, is the whole of you kidding yourself that you have found something special, something beautiful, and in that finding, you have found happiness. As is the way with happiness, you need and want more and more, and the state of complete submission seems like a truly wonderful idea, I actually think this is a good way to lose yourself, rather than find yourself. But then maybe losing yourself is part of the game plan,

The me ego melts into the divine ego - only when your in love. Only when your in love are you out of time n space - think of the times when you were on a date - time stopped - when 2 hearts beat together it's an everlasting song - Gurbani is that song - you just need to tune-in right.

Your an old romantic Originalji, your wife is a lucky lady, I used to be like you, full of love, full of what I thought was love, faith, hope, but then that is your entitlement and your right,

I made a twee comment above about dogshit, but the spirit of the statement stands, I pick up dogshit because I like dogshit, some meditate because they like meditating, each to his own

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
BhagatSingh Ji

Thank you again for the efforts you have gone to.

~-~-~
BhagatSingh said: "Once you have tasted an apple, then when someone mentions apple or the qualities of apple then you can picture the apple in your mind. In fact, apple is so iconic, if I simply said "fruit" most people will think of the apple.

"Similarly, if you meditate or even just read other parts of Guru Granth Sahib, then you'll know that shabad, even in isolation when you are only presented the shabad by itself, is talking about the meditation process."

Ishna said: "This makes sense if you think the Gurbani is describing meditation. So far in my own studies, I do not think it is. To me, the Gurbani is talking about achieving an holistic state of mind and being that includes a deep, constant awareness of Ik Onkar which guides and influences our thoughts and actions."

BhagatSingh said: "Like I said before this is the XYZ, the end-goal. There are many steps before that.

"What I am really trying (hard) to put forth is the basics of Sikhi. The basic meaning - the ABC, the methodology by which we progress to the goalpost you out-lined."
~-~-~​

I have tried meditation, but I learned more through a sehaj paath than any amount of meditation. The ABC, to my mind, is all contained in Guru Granth Sahib, and it really isn't complicated. The Gurbani itself just re-iterates beautifully the process of removing separation and merging with the Creator.

It's like one of those optical illusion pictures. I look and see a bird, you look and see a fish, and if we try we can see the other image. Our minds will intuitively have a preference for one over the other.

So while you can try to explain to me that inward meditation is the ABCs of Sikhi until you're blue in the face, and I can try to explain to you that constant awareness is the ABCs of Sikhi until I'm blue in the face, we aren't going to agree, because we're seeing this from different angles.

Regarding the shabad you explained in post number 125, found on Panna 183;

BhagatSingh said: "What does he give us? this tool - chant Ram - with the knowledge on how to use it - focus single-mindedly on it."​

Does that mean you chant "Ram" during your meditation? Undoubtedly that instruction is found more often in Gurbani than to chant "Waheguru".

From what I understand, the chanting/meditating mentioned is about always retaining that awareness of Naam, which we learn about from Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. It's about never forgetting it, and carrying it inside like a parent does their newborn baby. The parent doesn't put their child out to play and then sit down and chant the child's name to keep them safe. The parent goes about their business with one eye on the child at all times, an ear out for a strange noise or a cry, always glancing up to check, never forgetting their child is there. The parent is virtually tethered to their child through their love. This is the true chant and meditation.

Gurbani says on Panna 29 :
ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਜਪ ਤਪ ਸੰਜਮੀ ਹਰਿ ਕੈ ਨਾਮਿ ਪਿਆਰੁ
Gurmukẖ jap ṯap sanjmī har kai nām pi▫ār.
For the Gurmukh, the love of the Name of the Lord is chanting, deep meditation and self-discipline.

ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਸਦਾ ਧਿਆਈਐ ਏਕੁ ਨਾਮੁ ਕਰਤਾਰੁ
Gurmukẖ saḏā ḏẖi▫ā▫ī▫ai ek nām karṯār.
The Gurmukh meditates forever on the Name of the One Creator Lord.

ਨਾਨਕ ਨਾਮੁ ਧਿਆਈਐ ਸਭਨਾ ਜੀਆ ਕਾ ਆਧਾਰੁ ॥੪॥੭॥੪੦॥
Nānak nām ḏẖi▫ā▫ī▫ai sabẖnā jī▫ā kā āḏẖār. ||4||7||40||
O Nanak, meditate on the Naam, the Name of the Lord, the Support of all beings. ||4||7||40||​

The whole shabad is available here.

This is a perfect example of the optical illusion effect. One person can read the above and understand it to mean that one loves the Naam by chanting, deep meditation and self-discipline. Another person can read the above and to them it means that loving the Naam is the equivalent of chanting, deep meditation and self-discipline.

This love of Naam can be achieved 24/7, day and night, constantly, while working and crying and partying. From it, all virtue flows. You can't actually sit and meditate/chant 24/7. Panna 29 goes on to describe more.

But hey, if some people gain awareness by sitting and meditating, good for them if they can progress to carrying love of Naam all the time. Others may develop this love through reading, listening, learning, and living a virtuous life (which I'm sure meditators do, as well). I happen to believe that the latter is what Gurbani encourages moreso than the former.

Perhaps this is the wonder of Gurbani, that it brings the variety of humankind to Naam no matter if they see the 'fish' or the 'bird' within its pages.

japjisahib04

Mentor
SPNer
Jan 22, 2005
kuwait
But hey, if some people gain awareness by sitting and meditating, good for them if they can progress to carrying love of Naam all the time. Others may develop this love through reading, listening, learning, and living a virtuous life (which I'm sure meditators do, as well). I happen to believe that the latter is what Gurbani encourages moreso than the former.
It all depend whether we interpret the gurbani literally or by going through the context of the sabd. The central idea of the sabd is, 'ਭਾਈ ਰੇ ਜਗੁ ਦੁਖੀਆ ਦੂਜੈ ਭਾਇ ॥ ਗੁਰ ਸਰਣਾਈ ਸੁਖੁ ਲਹਹਿ ਅਨਦਿਨੁ ਨਾਮੁ ਧਿਆਇ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥ Oh my manh by following duality you make me suffer thus have mercy and come to the sanctuary of guru's guidance. SGGS.29.

Original

Writer
SPNer
Jan 9, 2011
London UK
Brother H - A very good morning ! Hope all is well at your end !

Credit where it's due - your good manners to address others with "G" at the end of their title speaks volumes - socially induced trait. Sign of good parenting and traditional respectable family value. But at times you let it slip when in armour, that is to say, "shut up" could be said, "pls b quite". Of course, between the two there is a degree of variation relevance to the intended conveyance. But overall your temperament should reflect the real Harry - which in my opinion is a guy who has beautiful social skills.

Attending to your text above, I think you've cracked it "......losing yourself to the game plan". Yes, Romeo n Juilet a tragedy depicts the "reality" which is not R n J [form] but are to loose themselves [physical identies] and culminate the form into formlessness is the "reality" - the "satnam" or call it what you will.

Gur Ghar has referred to itself as the "heer" [the beloved, Juilet] of the "ranjha" [ formless, Romeo].

Akal Purakh is in "everyone" - beauty of which is, it's diversity, which allows us to have a personal say on who, where, what, when and why AP [God] is.

Enjoy the Sunday -

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Brother H - A very good morning ! Hope all is well at your end !

Credit where it's due - your good manners to address others with "G" at the end of their title speaks volumes - socially induced trait. Sign of good parenting and traditional respectable family value. But at times you let it slip when in armour, that is to say, "shut up" could be said, "pls b quite". Of course, between the two there is a degree of variation relevance to the intended conveyance. But overall your temperament should reflect the real Harry - which in my opinion is a guy who has beautiful social skills.

Attending to your text above, I think you've cracked it "......losing yourself to the game plan". Yes, Romeo n Juilet a tragedy depicts the "reality" which is not R n J [form] but are to loose themselves [physical identies] and culminate the form into formlessness is the "reality" - the "satnam" or call it what you will.

Gur Ghar has referred to itself as the "heer" [the beloved, Juilet] of the "ranjha" [ formless, Romeo].

Akal Purakh is in "everyone" - beauty of which is, it's diversity, which allows us to have a personal say on who, where, what, when and why AP [God] is.

Enjoy the Sunday -

Sorry, I have just realised I am actually arguing for your case rather than mine, obviously I realised you needed some help on your side :)

If you could excuse me whilst I argue amongst myself for a while till I reply....

Original

Writer
SPNer
Jan 9, 2011
London UK
Sorry, I have just realised I am actually arguing for your case rather than mine, obviously I realised you needed some help on your side :)

If you could excuse me whilst I argue amongst myself for a while till I reply....

Too good ! could put yourself out as a hired hand, potential fee-earner for the struggling few.

Human history says that living in groups as primates meant we had to form and maintain alliances with other members of the group. The evolution of language had changed the rules of the game, enabling the exchange of ideas, complex communication fostered innovation and invention, leading to better tools, new ways to hunt and trap animals. But the gift of the gab for the few meant challenges along the way, that is, our ancestors had to discern who to trust with arguments before accepting and rejecting what they had to say; helping the group arrive at the best strategies for hunting and gathering food.

No H, - I don't have an axe to grind, but thanks all the same. SPN is the only social window I subscribe to through which I try n have "my" say of the "Sikh" I am and stay clear of argumrnts. I try n live up to my guru's ideals. The good, bad and ugly of social society don't trouble me - I know their status today, but also know their status wont always remain the same, evolution will kick-in and change them for better, just like it changed me, from manmukh to gurmukh. One day they'll be where I am today - the spiritual singh having a human fling.

Life and life's experiences are to be shared n enjoyed.

Over n Out

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Ok, now I understand, its about love, chasing that feeling in your stomach, the feeling of ultimate closeness, of ultimate intimacy, of being at home, of belonging, of feeling secure, getting closer and closer until you feel you have actually merged with the supreme.

I will grant you it is a bit difficult doing that picking up dogshit, somehow, the speed of pickup, the smell, the fascination in seeing a particularly sloppy one, does not really transfer itself to a heightened level of closeness. I suppose merging with the supreme whilst picking up dogshit is also not going to be as easy as it would be at say 5am, in a nice clean warm room, in silence, with just the sound of breathing.

I personally believe Sikhism is an attitude of service, and that anything that stands between the service, and you, should be removed, otherwise is encourages me-ism and the feelings of the self,( I have enough problems in that area already) to be honest, this is the very reason I do not meditate, I know there is a chance I may loose myself deep within myself, and then what would all the dogshits do?.

If I did not pick up dogshit anymore, I would survive, could you say the same about meditation?

Original

Writer
SPNer
Jan 9, 2011
London UK
H - mediation definitely died a death on this forum here, no ?

My mediation was never a choice, but something that formed part of the discipline to which I assigned early in life. Over the years it had been engrained into my biological system [conditioned], if I don't do it I would feel abnormal, I guess. I cannot remember not doing it, my reasons for doing it were never spiritual, but more physical. I'm fully composed as a man to take on the good, bad n the ugly world that awaits me each day.

Have a read below, it's an interesting read, something that I identify with. The author is a marital arts practitioner, and I think in the last paragraph I see bit of you [the altruistic H].

It took me many years to finally understand what I wanted out of meditation. What you get out of it is one of those things that you kind of have to figure out for yourself. When I discuss this with people who haven’t tried it, or did and gave up, the question is often “what is it supposed to do?”. The way I can best explain what meditation is to me, is that it allows me to set my brain to how it is supposed to be, to access the subliminal parts. Let me explain.

If you study the existence of a wild animal, what you see is life in its purest state. It is without contemplation, without stress. It runs, mostly, on instinct and pays little attention to the past or the future. It truly lives in the moment. This pure state, in my opinion, is how we, humans, once were, before we evolved language, consciousness and everything else that came along with it. We spend incredible amounts of energy, well, thinking. We are constantly thinking about yesterday and worrying about tomorrow. What this does is disrupt the natural flow of our natural mind. I believe that the purpose of life is to achieve a state of pure existence, which in essence, is an existence void of thought, or differently put, of a single thought.

I’ve been practicing meditation for many years, and it is by far the greatest challenge in my life, for the simple fact that I will never be able to perfect it, I will never reach a point where I can say that I am done with it and can now move on to something else. But none the less, there are levels that can be attained, and for me, one of the most important steps was understanding why, what was my reason for doing it.
I knew what it was all about, because at that moment [an experience] I was no longer myself the person, I was part of everything around me. I was part of something big. For others, with other beliefs, they will probably describe this moment as being in the presence of God, or a god, or gods, or whatever belief system they choose to follow. But for me, this is what all those beliefs are based on, that sense of something greater, something that we all share and are all a part of.

A life of purely meditative existence is not something that I am interested in. I enjoy being human and many of the amazing gifts that come along with it. But now, knowing what I know, believing what I believe, I have the ability to go back to being one whenever I choose. I have also discovered other ways of tapping into that reservoir within. When I spend time with animals, not as their master but as their equal, as their brother, I am able to see through their eyes, to be part of their existence. I feel it then. When I help other to improve their lives, perform selfless acts of kindness, I find myself in that moment, sharing their joy, and feeling that reservoir all around us. When I practice martial arts and truly immerse myself in the experience, I feel it then as well. And of course when I meditate, as I try to do every day, I know why I do it, it has a purpose, and having that purpose in my life is one of the greatest feelings one can ever achieve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: