• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Malaysia Xenophon To Be Deported Tonight

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Xenophon to be Deported Tonight

By Boo Su-Lyn February 16, 2013

http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/...ophon-to-be-deported-tonight-says-anwar-aide/

SEPANG, Feb 16 — Australian Senator Nick Xenophon, who is now being held by Immigration officials as a “security risk”, will be deported tonight from the Low-Cost Carrier Terminal here, an aide to Opposition Leader Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim said.

Anwar’s chief of staff Ibrahim Yaacob told The Malaysian Insider that Home Ministry officials have met Australian High Commissioner Miles Kupa at the airport and have decided to send Xenophon (picture) back to Australia on a 10pm flight.

“He’ll be deported tonight. No reasons given,” Ibrahim said.

He added that other Australian MPs including Mal Washer, John Williams and Steve Georganas, who were due to arrive here tomorrow, have cancelled their plans.

Ibrahim had earlier said Xenophon had flown in this morning to meet Anwar as well as Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department Datuk Seri Mohamed Nazri Aziz and Election Commission (EC) officials next week to discuss the country’s electoral system.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Background to this story

Australia demands Xenophon’s release

http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/malaysia/article/australia-demands-xenophons-release/

SEPANG, Feb 16 ― Australia is seeking the immediate release of its senator Nick Xenophon, who is now detained for being an alleged “security risk” at the Low-Cost Carrier Terminal (LCCT) here.

Xenophon was held at the airport upon arrival this morning and is expected to be deported after being flagged by the Immigration Department.

“Australia’s concerns have been raised with Malaysia’s Foreign Minister and the Minister for Home Affairs and the Malaysian High Commissioner to Australia. Their support is requested in securing Senator Xenophon’s swift release from custody,” Australia’s Foreign Minister Bob Carr said in a statement today.

“Senator Xenophon’s detention is a surprising and disappointing act from a country with which Australia routinely maintains strong diplomatic relations,” he added.

Xenophon is in Malaysia to meet Opposition Leader Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim, Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department Datuk Seri Mohamed Nazri Aziz and Election Commission (EC) officials next week to discuss country’s electoral system, Anwar’s chief of staff Ibrahim Yaacob said today.

Carr said that Australia’s High Commissioner Miles Kupa has contacted Xenophon and demanded an explanation from the authorities for the senator’s detention.

News of Xenophon’s detention was also picked up by the Australian press.

“I am effectively a prisoner here,” he was quoted as saying in the Australian newspaper The Sunday Mail.

The paper reported the Australian lawmaker managed to slip through a phone call when he was left unattended in the interrogation room.

“I’m being held in an area with all these holding cells, which are full of women. They have basically told me I am an enemy of the state. They are trying to get me on the next plane out of here and back home.

“I was even meeting members of the government. I mean, the whole situation is ridiculous; we are meant to be the closest of friends with Malaysia,” he told the paper.

“We are meant to be having a people swap deal on asylum seekers but so far it looks like the only person being swapped is me,” he was quoted saying.

The paper further reported Xenophon as saying he believed a recent piece he had written for Fairfax newspapers last month, which was critical of human rights here, may be a reason for his current treatment by Malaysian authorities.

Xenophon came to Malaysia last April as an election observer after being invited by Anwar.

The Australian senator was part of a seven-member international team of election observers who later met Nazri.

Despite being invited by Anwar, the group insisted they were independent, claiming that their expenses for the fact-finding mission were borne either personally or by their respective governments.

Xenophon had said that fundamental concerns regarding Malaysia’s electoral roll, campaign period, media access and other issues pertaining to electoral reforms were raised with Nazri.

Xenophon also observed the Bersih rally here last April and said the government’s handling of the mass protest for free and fair elections showed its “authoritarian” nature.

He noted that the police had fired tear gas and chemical-laced water in what had been a largely peaceful rally.

Xenophon was portrayed by local English daily the News Straits Times (NST) last year as anti-Islam in an article that falsely quoted him as calling Islam a “criminal organisation” during his 2009 speech in Australia’s Parliament.

Xenophon later said he would sue the NST after the newspaper admitted its mistake.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Precipitating incidents described below

Aussie senator detained at LCCT, called ‘security risk

By Boo Su-Lyn February 16, 2013

http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/...enator-detained-at-lcct-called-security-risk/

KUALA LUMPUR, Feb 16 — Australian Senator Nick Xenophon was detained at the Low-Cost Carrier Terminal (LCCT) in Sepang this morning and will be deported as Immigration called him a security risk, Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim’s chief of staff said today.

Ibrahim Yaacob told The Malaysian Insider that Xenophon was here to meet Opposition Leader Anwar on Monday as well as Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department Datuk Seri Mohamed Nazri Aziz and Election Commission (EC) officials on Tuesday.

“(Immigration said that) he’s a security risk. Orders from above,” Ibrahim said.

Ibrahim said that other Australian senators and MPs, who are due to arrive here tomorrow, as well as Xenophon are coming to observe Malaysia’s electoral system, even as Election 2013 draws near.

News of Xenophon’s detention has also been picked up by the Australian press.

“I am effectively a prisoner here,” he was quoted as saying in the Australian newspaper The Sunday Mail.

The paper reported the Australian lawmaker managed to slip through a phone call when he was left unattended in the interrogation room.

“I’m being held in an area with all these holding cells which are full of women. They have basically told me I am an enemy of the state. They are trying to get me on the next plane out of here and back home.

“I was even meeting members of the government, I mean, the whole situation is ridiculous, we are meant to be the closest of friends with Malaysia,” he told the paper.

“We are meant to be having a people swap deal on asylum seekers but so far it looks like the only person being swapped is me,” he was quoted saying.

The paper also reported Xenophon saying he believed a recent piece he had written for Fairfax newspapers last month, which was critical of human rights here, may be a reason for the authorities to refuse him entry.

They have basically told me I am an enemy of the state. They are trying to get me on the next plane out of here and back home. — Australian Senator Nick Xenophon

When contacted, EC chairman Tan Sri Abdul Aziz Mohd Yusof said he did not have an appointment with Xenophon, but noted that Xenophon might have made an appointment with his officials.

The Malaysian Insider was unable to reach Nazri for comment.

Ibrahim said Australian High Commissioner Miles Kupa was on his way to the LCCT.

Xenophon came to Malaysia last April as an election observer after being invited by Anwar.

The Australian senator was part of a seven-member international team of election observers who later met Nazri.

Despite being invited by Anwar, the group insisted they were independent, claiming that their expenses for the fact-finding mission were borne by themselves or their respective governments.

Xenophon had said that fundamental concerns regarding Malaysia’s electoral roll, campaign period, media access and other issues pertaining to electoral reforms were raised with Nazri.

Xenophon also observed the Bersih 3.0 rally here last April and said the government’s handling of the mass protest for free and fair elections showed its “authoritarian” nature.

He noted that the police had fired tear gas and chemical-laced water in what had been a largely peaceful rally.

Xenophon was portrayed by local English daily the News Straits Times (NST) last year as anti-Islam in an article that falsely quoted him as calling Islam a “criminal organisation” during his 2009 speech in Australia’s Parliament.

Xenophon later said he would sue the NST after the newspaper admitted its mistake.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM