• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

WSO Condemns Facebook Threats Against MP Ujjal Dosanjh

Jan 6, 2005
Metro-Vancouver, B.C., Canada
source:
http://www.marketwire.com/press-release/WSO-Condemns-Facebook-Threats-Against-MP-Ujjal-Dosanjh-1152972.htm

Apr 23, 2010 12:12 ET

<!-- TIMESTAMP END --><!-- HEADLINES BEGIN -->WSO Condemns Facebook Threats

Against MP Ujjal Dosanjh

<!-- HEADLINES END --><!-- RELEASE BODY BEGINS -->
OTTAWA, ONTARIO--(Marketwire - April 23, 2010) - The World Sikh Organization of Canada (WSO) condemns threatening comments that have been posted on the social-networking website Facebook against MP Ujjal Dosanjh. Any threats, whether direct or indirect to any individual are unacceptable and cannot be tolerated. We live in a society where freedom of expression is guaranteed and all individuals have the right to peacefully express their views. Mr. Dosanjh is an elected politician and despite any differences of opinion with his positions, it is unacceptable that any person would make any threats to him. Such comments go against the principles of the Sikh faith and against our values as Canadians.

WSO President Prem Singh Vinning said, "these comments are unfortunate and unacceptable. Differences of opinion can be resolved through dialogue. Threatening comments cannot be tolerated."

WSO's senior policy advisor Gian Singh Sandhu said, "comments like those posted on the Facebook page are repulsive. They harm the Sikh image and the community is outraged by them. Those comments are not reflective of the Sikh community."

The RCMP is reportedly investigating the threatening comments that were posted and the community is encouraged to fully cooperate with the investigation.

The World Sikh Organization of Canada (WSO) is a non-profit organization with a mandate to promote and protect the interests of the Sikh Diaspora, as well as to promote and advocate for the protection of human rights for all individuals, irrespective of race, religion, gender, ethnicity, and social and economic status.

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
These kinds of one sided news articles give the wrong impression and do not show the fair and balanced approach of Sikhi ideals and do rather injustice to Sikhi thought process.

It is irresponsible on our parts to say the least to give credence to this kind of news by posting it here. It brings no good and rather gives the wrong and false impression.

Following is the site on Face book and I did join this group. One can check for oneself how distorted the above news article is by reading all the posts.

Please post your comments for and against after wards here in this thread.

Welcome to Facebook | Facebook

Thanks

Tejwant Singh

Last edited:
May 24, 2008
The visit to facebook shows absolutely nothing . I'm surprised to see even harmless comments like these be treated such alarmingly . See this is 2010 not 1984 , so such comments need to be appreciated not condemned . Is this WSO another organisation with an agenda ? I'm amazed to see all this rubbish . Is there any organisation which is not politically affiliated to Indian political parties ? I wonder sometimes how low we have sunk to .

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
The visit to facebook shows absolutely nothing . I'm surprised to see even harmless comments like these be treated such alarmingly . See this is 2010 not 1984 , so such comments need to be appreciated not condemned . Is this WSO another organisation with an agenda ? I'm amazed to see all this rubbish . Is there any organisation which is not politically affiliated to Indian political parties ? I wonder sometimes how low we have sunk to .

Dalbirk ji,

Guru Fateh.

Well said. I agree with you. We should always keep in my mind the reputation of SPN which is growing in leaps and bounds before posting these kinds of biased one sided news. If they are posted then the only fair and balanced Sikhi way for the poster is to rebutt this nonsense with facts. Now it gives the impression that the bias of the poster takes precedent.

Many Sikhs and non Sikhs who visit this site and some become its members have come to trust this site as one of the most reliable balanced sites with only one agenda in mind, that is to be open minded to all kinds of opinions. We do not want them to visit other sites and come to the conclusion that we are not giving them the balanced reporting which is expected of us and that is harmful for us.

We do not want to lose that trust and which can only be avoided when news like these when posted here should also come with a rebuttal from the poster because the facts do not show them to be true.

This is only the way we can deepen the foundation of this wonderful site.

Regards

Tejwant Singh

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
It was astonishing to me that an established news organization (perhaps not a reputable one) built an entire article from one single facebook page alone. This is posted in another thread. There was no attempt at all to source comments or find supporting information. But that is the value of having such a story posted here at SPN.

But I must add - social networking media is in its infancy. We are looking at perhaps a specter ahead of us. Truth may no longer be something that can be objectively disclosed. I don't know where that will lead us as a civilization. There may be times in the future, as sorry as it may seem, when many truths will be at war because of this new technology.

However, SPN follows up these stories and we achieve balance because we not only give space to, but also encourage, contrary opinions to be posted to explore the biases embedded in these stories.

I myself spent too much time yesterday trying to decide whether to post news articles that I knew to be heavily one-sided on several topics. In the end I posted them because they are in the media and can't be ignored. There is a better chance that the opposing perspectives will be aired here in this forum, than they will in any public debate or in the "your comments" below an article, or for that matter on facebook.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
That is the Dilemma SPN faces...to post or not to post ?
And I beleive we have taken the correct approach...POST and then give due place and recogniiton to all views..opposing and proposing..and let the readers judge them on their own merits....what could be more balance than that ?
SPN is a MEDIA in its own RIGHT. we have a sacred duty to our readers..to present a Balanced View.
Thank You SPN.

PS. I too viisted the FB site..absolutley Baat da Battanggarr..or Mountian of mole hill (except that there is not even the tiniest mole to begin with..so its a real "mountain" created out of a "virtual molehill/pimple".. computer-geek lingo for IMAGINARY or FICTION ):whisling::whisling:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: