• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Writing Vaheguru. 51 Thousand Times Or One Lakh?

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
The Bhai Guriqbal Singh Group of the Kaulaan Trust has a new initiative in place....caalled the...." 300 saal bhagtee likhan de naal"..on the lines of 300 saal GURU de naal....to encourage students of Schools and Colleges throughout Punjab to submit WRITTEN Copy Books with...51 Thousand Vaheguru....or 100,000 Vaheguru..in order to win Gold/Silver/Bronze Medals and other "recognition".
This initiative is ongoing in Punjab...First Such Recognition Samagam was held in SULTANPUR LODHI yesterday whereby thousands of students from schools and colleges around the Kapurthala District submitted tyheir Copy-Books or Registers or loose A4 sheets of paper filled with lines and lines of VAHEGURU....the Organsiers had a tough time counting and making sure each one had the right number of Vaheguru written as claimed ..one Deaf and Dumb Girl had written 1 LAKH Vahegurus...
Copy books form Amritsar Sector are also being collected...

IMHO..a COMPLETE WASTE OF PRECIOUS PAPER...poor students can hardly afford copy books for ordinary school work...and A4 papers are so rare because its expensive in "paper short" Punjab....WHAT PURPOSE is erved by this ?? absolutley NOTHING...Except a New GIMMICK by vested interests...

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Re: Writing Vaheguru....51 thousand times !!OR 1 Lakh ??

One may scribble VAHEGURU, millions of times. It will do nothing but may give the person carpal tunnel syndrome besides killing many many trees to make the paper.

It seems the organisers of this who are training the people more about me-ism by giving medals for the most scribbles, should help them learn the tools given to us in SGGS, our ONLY GURU.

Now, after this thoughtless action has been taken, the organisers should help these kids to plant the same number of trees as the numbers of scribbles on the sheets of paper.

In some of the Sikh camps that are held here in the US, I have seen kids with the counters in their hands which they press every time, they utter VAHEGURU, one more health hazard and thoughtless process.

Guru Nanak Dev ji warns us about this parroting and thoughtless actions. He teaches us that any words written or spoken mean nothing without actions. Otherwise, He says, in the following lines that if parroting were true, then even the ants would have the desire to have the wings and fly to the skies.

That is what I understand from the Pauri number 32 of Jap ji.

Ik du jeebon Lakh hoei, Lakh hoveh Lakh vees.
Lakh,Lakh gherah akhieyei, EK Naam JAGDEES.

Eiet rah pat pavreieh, charieih hoei ikees.

Sunh galan akkas kee, kita ayees rees

Nanak nadri payeeie koori kooreh thdeese ||32||

Tejwant Singh

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

Tejwant ji

Truly planting trees, an organized outreach program with hundreds of children sponsored to plant trees, each year -- that would be huge.

The writing and chanting of this and that was probably selected because of the idea of sending a massive vibration through the universe from all the combined efforts of devotes. Sort of like a "cone of power." This is a shamanistic concept-- to have a large number of people joining forces to chant (in this case write) the same syllables over and over within a specified period of time. The vibration is then concentrated within a narrow span of time and that makes its "potential" energy much stronger. In a word - POOJA.

Sorry if any should find my words offensive, but it is POOJA! It assumes that Waheguru needs the booster shot of vibratory energy in order to notice. Waheguru might be too inept to respond to weak signals and scattered particles and diffused waves. We can't take any chances. :shock:

P/S - Now that I have been bold and have written this -- you know that I am going to get a big kick in my email for having a negative attitude ...never fails.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA

The ONLY baba planting trees and cleaning up rivers is nirmala saadh baba Balbir Seechewaal..( there may be one or two more who i havent heard about..BUT seechewaals work i have personally seen and evaluated)..all the rest are busy destroying whatever historical heritage left to make marble Gurdwaras (personally owned)

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

I have read about him and his work. And you know what HE IS ALWAYS BEING CRITICIZED AS AN IMPOSTER!

The more things change the more they stay the same -- but here is where we could go public with our own form of media advocacy to promote the positive and the engaged Sikhism that Nanak was talking about.

I am making a list.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA

Narayanjot Kaur Jio, gurfateh.

Yes you are right ji. We must have our own standards as we are a media in our own right.
There are many things wrong with this Baba Seechewaal..BUT whatever he is doing RIGHT has to be acknowledged. My point is..Accept what is RIGHT as per Gurmatt and reject what is manmatt. As easy as that.

1. He tried to Force his way through on the river cleaning project - i met with poor farmers who own small plots of land on the riversides of Kali vein ( YES its Kali vein BLACK VEIN River..and beleive me..the water is Pitch Black)..and THOSE are their livelihood...the Babs "goondas" beat up these poor villagers to force them to give up a 20 metre strip for the Baba to plant trees...I met one such farmer..his 4 acres land has the River surround it in a tight LOOP..so IF he gives up 20 metres he loses HALF his land..for FREE !! (sewa said the babas men..how can SEWA be forced ?? Will SEWA feed my family ?? He was beaten up in a demonstration..so such things do happen..its so easy to see the BIG PICTURE for someone far away..but to him whose livelihood is in danger..all he can see is his family starving !!..SO the Baba went on to do his environmental work elsewhere..and he succeeded..KUDOS..the River Banks are a JOY to visit..the stretch of River near his DERA is clean as a whistle..people boating..on it..ALL PLUS POINTS....in the Babas favour...so lets HIGHLIGHT THOSE.:happy:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

What happened to the villagers after that. The same kind of dilemma is happening in South America. The rain forests are being destroyed, but clearing the rain forests opens up agricultural lands for peasants and provides jobs for others in related industries. This is always a problem.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA

Status Quo....the river is black from soil sliding down into it from the banks...so the ideal situation is to DEEPEN and Concrete the River with Precast shells ( like they do in malaysia) and this will make the river itself give up land on its banks..which cna then be planted with trees..the village average landholdings are too small to be further divided..so even IF the 20 metre pattrree (bank) is Paid for..the remainder is too small to do farming....IF the Bab buys it all..then what livelihood for the faarmer ? a chickena nd egg sitaution seems.
Anyway the Baba was successful in DIVERTING Raw sewage and village waters from flowing into the river - again the Big town Corp like Jullender kapurthala etc are harder to"convince" while small villages can be arm twisted..according to the baba from what he told me on y last viist..many villages are cooperating..only way is to dig large holding ponds in the villages to hold this dirty water and only let it flow into the river after it has settled/cleansed itself thru nature..again due to land shortage..whereby such large PONDS did exist in each village..they were grabbed by land mafia/vested interets, and filled up and are now farming land..so difficult to get more land for ponds..
I see great potentila as the baba is deeply interested in his pet projects..and not so deep into building up his dera or marble gurdwaas for goluck only..so there is hope..the Vein River beautification, Sultanpur beautification projects are proceeding rather well..I have been invited again this year to see for myself...:up:

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007

IMHO..a COMPLETE WASTE OF PRECIOUS PAPER

Gyani Ji,

Being a student of Gurbani Senthia Paath class, I have some queries about writing the word "Waheguru" for a lifetime.

My first approach is from the viewpoint of the "power of the Word". For example, words have the power to make one cry or laugh - I read the thread "Two Choices" and it made me cry.

Kindly give me your sincere views based on the power of words.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA

Gyani Ji,

Being a student of Gurbani Senthia Paath class, I have some queries about writing the word "Waheguru" for a lifetime.

My first approach is from the viewpoint of the "power of the Word". For example, words have the power to make one cry or laugh - I read the thread "Two Choices" and it made me cry.

Naam Japp Ji,
Gurfateh.

IMHO...
Gurbani tells us very clearly that "HE" cannot be written...not even IF all the paper is used and all the oceans become ink...He cannot be "spoken"..even if our tongues become billions and billions...multipleid by billions more.Japji sahib makes this amply clear.

WAHEGURU has to be "written..spoken"..on our HEARTS. We have to FOLLOW...implement..Gurbani..WAHEGURU in our Daily Lives...this writing..speaking..will carry with US....as we go to the Sachee dargah and Sacha pirr maleah..Gurmukh JANAM SWAAR Dargeha chaleah...the Vital ingredient is Janam SWAAR..and that is ACTION..in relation to the other LIVING BEINGS that are part of His creation...destroying TREES to make Paper to "write" his Name..is like Killing chickens to Feed our body so that our tongue can speak His name....killing he chicken may be slightly justified as food for survival of the body..the tree destruction to simply write His Name cannot be justified in any way...
DHRIGH tinah da jeeveah..jo likh likh vecheah NAUN..this is indeed "selling" His name because ALL the ones who submitted their copy books are doing it for the Medals, the recognition...the haumaii nu pattheh paun wasteh.
IMHO its all a GRAND Propoganda GIMMICK by a person who also condones..propogates various anti gurmatt actions during his kirtan samgams as well...he did this in malaysia too..many times. He insists on calling Kaullan Bibi as MATA Kaullan inspite of various historical proofs offered that the word MATA is sacred and used ONLY for the Guru Sahibaans Mata, Mehls and even a Warrior like Bhago is called MAI and not MATA. Kaullan was not even a relative of the Guru..she is addressed as bIBI kaullan..but Guriqbal Singh insists on Mata Kaullan.
My thoughts...as per my understanding of Gurmatt and Gurbani...

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007

Gyani Ji,

Well, thank you for your viewpoint but you haven't touched on the 'power of the word'.

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.

Gyani Ji,

Namjap ji,

Guru Fateh.

I apologise for piggyback riding on the post addressed to Gyani ji, but somehow as a Seeker, a learner, a student of Sikhi myself, I felt compelled to give my 2 cent worth. I hope you do not mind.

I agree with you that words have power and the best proof of that power is in all the pages of SGGS, our ONLY GURU. However, cutting trees which the powerful words of the SGGS tell us not to, to write one word repeatedly has no power for no one. By doing what these people have done is disrespect and mocked the true power of the words which is in SGGS, our ONLY GURU.

Tejwant Singh

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007

However, cutting trees which the powerful words of the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji tell us not to, to write one word repeatedly has no power for no one. By doing what these people have done is disrespect and mocked the true power of the words which is in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, our ONLY GURU.

Pati tore malini, pati pati jiyo..... comes to mind.
Thanks.
Maybe we should even stop printing SGGS on paper. Please comment.

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007

On the contrary, see Ang 322

... those hands who lovingly write the praises of the Lord are pure.:advocate:

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.

On the contrary, see Ang 322

... those hands who lovingly write the praises of the Lord are pure.:advocate:

Namjap ji,

Guru Fateh.

It is interesting to notice that you quote one verse before which makes you agree with what I said and then you quote another one which makes you disagree.

One thing we should keep in mind that,SGGS is not self -contradictory.

Please post the whole Shabad and if you want to post the literal translation, I have no problem with that, but I urge you also to express your views about the Shabad. What message does the Shabad gives you and share with us in your own words.

Regarding the idea of not printing SGGS which is full of the power of words and our only tool box which teaches us to breed goodness within has nothing to do with writing one word repeatedly thousands of times. By doing this, any word loses its power and lastly, the power of words can only be appreciated when those words are put into actions. SGGS demands that from us.

We need books to teach our kids. However, technology is catching up. We do not print as many newspapers, magazines etc. etc that can been seen on the internet. Provided we plant more trees than we cut to use as paper, then I do not see any problem.

Tejwant Singh

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007

We need books to teach our kids. However, technology is catching up. We do not print as many newspapers, magazines etc. etc that can been seen on the internet. Provided we plant more trees than we cut to use as paper, then I do not see any problem.

I had plastic sheets in mind when I said :
Maybe we should even stop printing Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji on paper. Please comment.
Just like some countries are using plastic instead of paper for currency, so can the Sikh Panth print water-proof granth for our scriptures. The pages can be wiped clean like never before.

My opinion on writing waheguru is even better than japping waheguru because when it is written there is more concentration devoted to the power of the word and there is more involvement by the individual.

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.

Namjap ji,

Guru Fateh.

You write:

My opinion on writing waheguru is even better than japping waheguru because when it is written there is more concentration devoted to the power of the word and there is more involvement by the individual.

I am a bit confused by you assertion. What is the power of writing any word again and again? Our ONLY GURU, SGGS commands us to use the power of words what we call Gurbani into actions.

Do you mean, in your opinion, plastic is environmentally friendlier than paper which is bio degradable and plastic is not? Your this assertion is also confusing to me.

And, I am still waiting for the whole Shabad in your own words on panna 322 which you claim consists of contradcition.

Tejwant Singh

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN
Re: Writing Vaheguru... 51 thousand times !!OR 1 Lakh?

Please take no offence but i do prefer opening a microsoft word document on my laptop and do what ever i do... i can type waheguru waheguru a billion times without even destroying a single tree, more environmentally friendly. :D

Moreover, i even prefer, reading Gurbani on my laptop, more readily approachable and more readily available for searching the various translations, quoting, bookmarking, cut and paste jobs and what not.

Does reading and contemplating Gurbani on a laptop reduces my devotion to my Guru in any way?

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Re: Writing Vaheguru... 51 thousand times !!OR 1 Lakh?

The Bhai Guriqbal Singh Group of the Kaulaan Trust has a new initiative in place....caalled the...." 300 saal bhagtee likhan de naal"..on the lines of 300 saal GURU de naal....to encourage students of Schools and Colleges throughout Punjab to submit WRITTEN Copy Books with...51 Thousand Vaheguru....or 125,000 Vaheguru..in order to win Gold/Silver/Bronze Medals and other "recognition".
This initiative is ongoing in Punjab...First Such Recognition Samagam was held in SULTANPUR LODHI yesterday whereby thousands of students from schools and colleges around the Kapurthala District submitted tyheir Copy-Books or Registers or loose A4 sheets of paper filled with lines and lines of VAHEGURU....the Organsiers had a tough time counting and making sure each one had the right number of Vaheguru written as claimed ..one Deaf and Dumb Girl had written 1 LAKH Vahegurus...
Copy books form Amritsar Sector are also being collected...

IMHO..a COMPLETE WASTE OF PRECIOUS PAPER...poor students can hardly afford copy books for ordinary school work...and A4 papers are so rare because its expensive in "paper short" Punjab....WHAT PURPOSE is erved by this ?? absolutley NOTHING...Except a New GIMMICK by vested interests...

This is where the issue of wasting paper came up. The Organizers actually wanted paper copy if I read this correctly. I still say it is POOJA. Gyani and I were concerned about environmental questions and maybe hatched that concern in our conversation. :)

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: