• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sikh World Sikh Parliament

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN
World Sikh Parliament.jpg

Sarbat Khalsa 2015 proposed creation of World Sikh Parliament.

Any ideas about ideology behind the decision?

Please share.

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
It could have representatives from different diaspora; India, Malaysia, UK, America, Australia, Pakistan, etc. It must have women involved, lest it become a bit of a joke like the Baha'i World Council. It would probably be useful for it to have a couple of sub-committees to represent specific groups like youth and women, and project sub-committees like Sikh Rehat Maryada.

This is a very exciting opportunity for Sikhs worldwide and a fantastic acknowledgment by the SGPC of the global community. I very good step in the right direction.

It needs to be governed by a very solid constitution to avoid corruption and in-fighting. It also needs to remain politically neutral. That doesn't mean it can't have position statements on political issues, but should remain detached and not involve itself in politics in any country.

Nov 23, 2010
It could have representatives from different diaspora; India, Malaysia, UK, America, Australia, Pakistan, etc. It must have women involved, lest it become a bit of a joke like the Baha'i World Council. It would probably be useful for it to have a couple of sub-committees to represent specific groups like youth and women, and project sub-committees like Sikh Rehat Maryada.

This is a very exciting opportunity for Sikhs worldwide and a fantastic acknowledgment by the SGPC of the global community. I very good step in the right direction.

It needs to be governed by a very solid constitution to avoid corruption and in-fighting. It also needs to remain politically neutral. That doesn't mean it can't have position statements on political issues, but should remain detached and not involve itself in politics in any country.

I personally don't think there should be sub groups. They can be put on the sidelines as not "serious issues" It should be like the cabinet of the new Prime Minister of Canada 50/50 . I loved his quote when asked why he chose 50% women he replied because it's 2015.
As for politics I think the are of prime importance. The Panth has always been as much a political organization a a religious one. I admire the work of the Sikh coalition. They work to protect the rights of not just Silkhs but other groups as well.

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
I personally don't think there should be sub groups. They can be put on the sidelines as not "serious issues" It should be like the cabinet of the new Prime Minister of Canada 50/50 . I loved his quote when asked why he chose 50% women he replied because it's 2015.
As for politics I think the are of prime importance. The Panth has always been as much a political organization a a religious one. I admire the work of the Sikh coalition. They work to protect the rights of not just Silkhs but other groups as well.

I'm not familiar with how the cabinet in Canada operates. For sure, the more equal numbers they can have at the top, the better.

The purpose of sub-committees would be to focus on specific issues, do the research and inform the main group - there are too many issues, I think, for one group to thoroughly manage by itself.

By political I mean it shouldn't be tied to a political party. Interface with governments around the world is necessary, but it would be better (I think) if the leaders within the proposed World Sikh Parliament weren't vying for political power in their own localities.

Nov 23, 2010
I'm not familiar with how the cabinet in Canada operates. For sure, the more equal numbers they can have at the top, the better.

The purpose of sub-committees would be to focus on specific issues, do the research and inform the main group - there are too many issues, I think, for one group to thoroughly manage by itself.

By political I mean it shouldn't be tied to a political party. Interface with governments around the world is necessary, but it would be better (I think) if the leaders within the proposed World Sikh Parliament weren't vying for political power in their own localities.

Yes, definitely it shouldn't be tied to any particular party, more of an issue based focus. I think it would depend on the size of the sangat in any given área as to whether or not they could support sub groups or not. I think an ideal would be to have women and men equally represented in the main commitees

Original

Writer
SPNer
Jan 9, 2011
London UK
Any ideas about ideology behind the decision?
...ideology is already in place, Sikh. If anything, the question would be one of selection process n criteria used. At the core you would have the motive from which one acts, altruistic or selfishness ? Naturally, those that love Sikhi and adhere to its ideals will offer better standard of care than those that believe in airy fairy ideologies. The deepest affection is based on the identity of interest. The kind of people who would devote time in doing what they judge to be in the best interest of the Panth and in accordance with the Will of SGGSJ.

The key to all this is, "belief". One need always to ensure the mind is never without belief. Given the diaspora of the Sikhs and on account evolution is indefinite, the mind must always be anchored to Guru's Bani, notwithstanding, cultural and social homogenisation.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
As for politics I think the are of prime importance. The Panth has always been as much a political organization a a religious one. I admire the work of the Sikh coalition. They work to protect the rights of not just Sikhs but other groups as well.

What Canadain prime minister said is not modern thinking but very backward thinking. men and women are 50:50 so they must be 50:50 in cabinet.What next Blacks are so and so percentage so they must be , aboriginals are so percentage , muslims are so percentage , sikhs are so percentage etc.

Cabinet berths , jobs etc are solely should be on merit and not on percentage of population . This is type of politics that ruined country like India where people blindly vote for their caste because their leader tell we are so and so percent but we are still very few in jobs, Parliament .

Many times deserving candidates are left because they don't have the gender , caste , religion which is required .

Nov 23, 2010
What Canadain prime minister said is not modern thinking but very backward thinking. men and women are 50:50 so they must be 50:50 in cabinet.What next Blacks are so and so percentage so they must be , aboriginals are so percentage , muslims are so percentage , sikhs are so percentage etc.

Cabinet berths , jobs etc are solely should be on merit and not on percentage of population . This is type of politics that ruined country like India where people blindly vote for their caste because their leader tell we are so and so percent but we are still very few in jobs, Parliament .

Many times deserving candidates are left because they don't have the gender , caste , religion which is required .
In a perfect world that might be true but women continue to earn on average only75% of what men earn ,in the states, and not for lack of so called merit. "Merit" is a a relative term some may think that White men by nature have more "Merit" than a women of color. Without direct pro-active politcal action inequalites like these will never be corrected.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
In a perfect world that might be true but women continue to earn on average only 75% of what men earn ,in the states, and not for lack of so called merit. "Merit" is a a relative term some may think that White men by nature have more "Merit" than a women of color. Without direct pro-active politcal action inequalites like these will never be corrected.

Women in USA now have 60% degrees , so from next years should colleges refuse women students?

Also the income gap theory is debunked several times as people have their priorities.Can you honestly say that men of all communnitties earn same amount?

In India we have Parsi's , they are just 70000 in 1.3 billion population they are big businessmen , Tata, Godrej are the few names . There women also run business empires. but because they don't fit in numerical percentage should india tell them you can't be in cabinet etc

Ranvir kaur

SPNer
Dec 13, 2015
Interesting, how Sikhs day dream.This is the most ridiculous idea, I have come across.This reflects the Sikh thinking of 1947 and later the Sikh leadership of the Punjabi Suba agitation.

The whole thing is ridiculously arranged.What world parliament?Where is this parliament going to sited.Which government would support this parliament?Which government would ensure they will have a parliament running parallel to their own parliament?How would this parliament ensure it's rulings are implemented? Looks like a child dream.

I can understand if there is a proposal for a World Sikh Consultative Council.But parliament, is nothing short of a comical suggestion.

WE need to move to doing more realistical things than playing these dream games.

PS. that is my dad's photo, who I cherish

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Interesting, how Sikhs day dream.This is the most ridiculous idea, I have come across.This reflects the Sikh thinking of 1947 and later the Sikh leadership of the Punjabi Suba agitation.

The whole thing is ridiculously arranged.What world parliament?Where is this parliament going to sited.Which government would support this parliament?Which government would ensure they will have a parliament running parallel to their own parliament?How would this parliament ensure it's rulings are implemented? Looks like a child dream.

I can understand if there is a proposal for a World Sikh Consultative Council.But parliament, is nothing short of a comical suggestion.

WE need to move to doing more realistical things than playing these dream games.

PS. that is my dad's photo, who I cherish

Welcome to the forum Ranvirji, I however take exception that this is the most ridiculous idea, this is simply untrue, electing a smurf to be prime minister of England is much more ridiculous!

Ranvir kaur

SPNer
Dec 13, 2015
haller ji says" ...Welcome to the forum Ranvirji, I however take exception that this is the most ridiculous idea, this is simply untrue, electing a smurf to be prime minister of England is much more ridiculous!""

haller, Ji first and foremost, no body in England has elected a smurf, or intends to ,like you are hoping in your mind, secondly what world parliament do you propose, when you dont even have any country.Are you a smurf from Smurfland or Smurfstan?if so, I will not be discussing with you, sir, as we are on different wavelengths, and I like to live in reallity, unlike otherwise.Tell which country proposes to recognise your parliament?Living in Cookoostan may be nicer than the real world,I bade all the best to continue living there.

Last edited:

Chaan Pardesi

Writer
SPNer
Oct 4, 2008
London & Kuala Lumpur
Well said.This is exactly how living in smurffystan we dealt with Pakistan and Hindustan in 1947.Then we repeated this same very naively in 1952, and onwards.And we continued with unrealistic dreams thereon until 1984.Sadly, we have not stopped,while ignoring our down to earth issues.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: