Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

Islam Women as Imams

Discussion in 'Interfaith Dialogues' started by namjiwankaur, Oct 4, 2012.

Tags:
  1. namjiwankaur

namjiwankaur
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer Contributor

Sat Nam _/|\_

One of things I love about Sikhi is the way women participate equally in the Gurdwara. Many religions didn't allow women to serve equally this way until recently and some still don't.

There is a lot of debating in the Muslim community about the way women are given inferior prayer spaces (and sometimes no prayer space at all). Muslims are also discussing allowing women to be imams.

There is no reason men and women can't be on opposite sides like Sikhs do in the gurdwara. As far as having inferior space or no space for women in the masjid, it is important to ask, "would I invite the beloved Aisha, Khadijah or Fatima to pray in this space?"

Nothing in Quran forbids women from leading the prayer or giving the sermon. Here is a video which I find informative. Although I'm not usually on the same page as Hamza Yusuf, I am grateful that he speaks for women's equality regarding their roles in the mosque.

'Women Leading Prayer & Ibn Taymiyyah' - Shaykh Hamza Yusuf

Nam Jiwan peacesign

• Like Like x 3
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Controversial Watch 3 Badass Women Destroy Stereotypes About Body Hair Hard Talk Aug 1, 2016
    Great Sikh Women - Guru Fatha Singh Khalsa Essays on Sikhism Jun 26, 2016
    Sikhi Why Are Some Sikh Women Now Wearing The Turban? Sikh Sikhi Sikhism Feb 15, 2016
    I feel Sikh women have become weak today... Blogs Oct 21, 2015
    General Sikh Women Hate Sikh Guys and Love only Hindu guys? Blogs Oct 15, 2015

3. aristotle

aristotle
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer Contributor

Isn't there any example where a woman has served as an imam?
    I mean, like in Christianity, there are some exceptions in denominations, for eg. the Calvinists accepting married priests..

#2 aristotle, Jan 1, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  4. BlazinSikh

BlazinSikh
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ke Fateh!

Do my fellow brothers (every man on this earth), still believe that women have coodies (forgive for incorrection). I am sorry if i sound a bit ignorant, but why is it so bad for women lead a pray, as a man, a femenist, and a child of Akal Purakh, there is nothing much more bueatifull than a woman leading a pray. Forgive me if i sound a bit weird, but to me i find women to serve Waheguru ji, my dream of a dream women.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ke Fateh!:happysingh:

• Like Like x 2
  5. spnadmin

spnadmin United States
    Expand Collapse
    1947-2014 (Archived)
    SPNer Supporter

There have been recently news stories of women who are imams. Even in Saudi Arabia. I do not have time to search these out for posting at this time. However, one story still remains with me where a female imam openly challenged a fatwa of a leading male imam in the Middle East. When time permits I will search for this information. Right now I cannot do it but maybe some other forum members would like to visit Google and see what they can see.

6. Ishna

Ishna
    Expand Collapse
    On hiatus
    Writer SPNer Contributor

Its a great idea, but in the framework of Islam, if there was a female imam she would need someone to cover for her for a week every month. :S

• Like Like x 1
  7. spnadmin

spnadmin United States
    Expand Collapse
    1947-2014 (Archived)
    SPNer Supporter

Here is one example,
    Complete story at this link http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/10/world/asia/10iht-letter10.html?_r=0

Here is another one
    Yes it is not widespread. Yes it is controversial. The world of Islam is having the debate. According to Wikipedia the controversy and the debate revolves around interpretation of the Hadi'ths governing women leading prayer in mixed congregations.

Female leadership in prayer also seems to vary according to country.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qgk5JFGUkRw

And, really I am not in the habit of making wild assertions. Google is the brain of the world.

• Like Like x 1
    #6 spnadmin, Jan 2, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  8. aristotle

aristotle
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer Contributor

Haha, I know where it goes....
    Lovely :D

• Like Like x 1