• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Canada Windsor Sikh Leaders Barred From Temple

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaur_123

SPNer
Jul 27, 2010
I believe the article is about the gurdwara and the issues rising in it, not Dr. Kooner and any other specific person. The issue isn't small, it is a big issue that needs to be displayed across the globe, people need to know that the new committee is ruining the once beautiful and well reputated gurdwara of windsor. I have grown up in windsor and my whole life the gurdwara has been peaceful and police free, now it is being disrespected and the new committee is trying not only to run the gurdwara wrongfully but also change maryada. They have already tried by using chairs in the gurdwara, and giving panj pyarian da prashad to ladies. The say it's okay....how is it okay? when guru ji asked for five heads did any lady sacrafice their head? no, five men did. This is the maryada from hundreds and hundreds of years created by guru ji, can we change that? who are we? Are they smarter than guru ji? Also, what is the need of banning our own sikh people? for the past 16 years those same people have been attending gurdwara and there was never a problem...never in the whole history of sikhism have I heard of banning anyone from a gurdwara? If muslims, hindus, germans and every other race is allowed in the gurdwara; why are we banning our own sikhs? especially under weak accusations. Banning people from connecting to guru ji is wrong and not acceptable!!

kaur_123

SPNer
Jul 27, 2010
Re: Sikh temple 'dictators" protested

Hi...I'm from Windsor and I know of the issue that is going on.

The reason that they banned Avtar Singh Kooner was because he was causing a disruption in the sangat and he pushed the secretary...
First of all, we have on tape the entire diwan that happened that day. No where did Avtar Singh even touch the secratary. The only reason he even spoke to him was because Avtar Singh had been requesting the secretary for some time on stage to speak, but for the past 3 weeks, the secretary would put it off, and tell him he could, but the next week. So this time, Avtar Singh asked, and sat back down when he was denied, and he just continued with his Simran. Majority of the Sangat joined in the Simran because they felt the secretary was wrong in denying him time week after week...in this instance, the secretary blamed Avtar Singh for causing a "disruption" and he called police to handle the situation.
The other man that was given a trespassing notice, Inderpal Singh Dhanoa, was handed a notice on the basis of "threatning people in the Gurdwara"...This happened because the new secretary tried to change Maryada when serving Parshaad at someone's house (by serving the 'Panj Pyarian da Bhog' to 3 ladies and 2 men...he changed the Maryada that Guru Ji has expected us to follow for the past 300+ years...and when Inderpal Singh was defending his religion and said he wouldnt let that happen at his own house, they instigated him to a point where he got mad, and he said, he would "take care of anyone that tried to break/change Maryada at his house"...THIS is the threat to which they kicked him out of the Gurdwara.
Is that what you have to pay to protect your religion?
If you have anymore questions, just let me know :)

Thanks!

Jan 6, 2005
Metro-Vancouver, B.C., Canada
Respected kaur123 Ji:

The following is for your kind information and consideration:

Sikh Reht Maryada (The Code of Sikh conduct and conventions)

CHAPTER XIII - Article XXIV

b. At the place where ambrosial baptism is to be administered, the holy Guru Granth Sahib should be installed and ceremonially opened. Also present should be six committed baptised Sikhs, one of whom should sit in attendance of the Guru Granth Sahib and the other five should be there to administer the ambrosial baptism. These six may even include Sikh women. All of them must have taken bath and washed their hair

source: http://www.sgpc.net/rehat_maryada/section_six.html

Karhah Prashad (Sacred Pudding)
Chapter VIII - Article XII

c. After this, before the distribution to the congregation of the Karhah Prashad, the share of the five beloved ones should be set apart and given away. Thereafter, while commencing the general distribution, the share of the person in attendance of the Guru Granth Sahib (Giving double share to the person in attendance constitutes improper discrimination) should be put in small bowl or vessel and handed over. The person who doles out the Karhah Prashad among the congregation should do so without any discrimination on the basis of personal regard or spite. He should dole out the Karhah Parshad equally to the Sikh, the non-Sikh or a person of high or low caste. While doling out the Karhah Prashad, no discrimination should be made on considerations of caste or ancestry or being regarded, by some, as untouchable, of persons within the congregation.

source: http://www.sgpc.net/rehat_maryada/section_three_chap_eight.html

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Soul_jyot ji

Thank you for the passage from the Sikh Rehat Maryada. I am wondering if the idea that only men may distribute prasad comes from the use of the word "He" in the sentence beginning "He should dole out..."

I am going to merge the 3 threads related to this issue. And I am going to close the thread because after repeated requests to discuss issues we are getting nowhere. I do not want this thread to be a war zone on a topic that is obviously very painful for everyone, and where some real expertise is needed to bring the sangat to working agreements.

Time for a few more comments. And then the thread will be closed. If any issue of interest to Sikhs at large comes up, we can start a thread about that.

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Kaur_123 ji,

Guru Fateh.

You write:

The other man that was given a trespassing notice, Inderpal Singh Dhanoa, was handed a notice on the basis of "threatning people in the Gurdwara"...This happened because the new secretary tried to change Maryada when serving Parshaad at someone's house (by serving the 'Panj Pyarian da Bhog' to 3 ladies and 2 men...he changed the Maryada that Guru Ji has expected us to follow for the past 300+ years...and when Inderpal Singh was defending his religion and said he wouldnt let that happen at his own house, they instigated him to a point where he got mad, and he said, he would "take care of anyone that tried to break/change Maryada at his house"...THIS is the threat to which they kicked him out of the Gurdwara.
Is that what you have to pay to protect your religion?
If you have anymore questions, just let me know :)
I am confused by the part of your post which I have highlighted in bold.

Pardon my ignorance but I did not understand which maryada was broken which had been practiced for 300 years.

Would you be kind enough to elaborate that for us please?

Thanks & regards

Tejwant Singh

Status
Not open for further replies.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM