• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Islam Wiki Islam?

Jul 10, 2006
"Sikh Gurus' message is very universal and acceptable by all. I give you some quotes from Gurbani concerning Islam. These quotes clearly show that the Gurus had different view point than the message of Quran and the message of the Gurus is totally different than the message of Quran....." Read more on Sikhism and Islam - Sikhism Concerning Islam

Jasleen kaur, What do you mean Sikhi owes sufis???
If you mean that Guru ji was influenced by anyone then you are mistaken.

Mughal invaders were f*cked up due to their interpretations of their version of koran(s) and many haddiths. Did they see the message of "peace" in any of them. NO.

Pick and choose which version early or later of the koran(s) and the different variations of the interpretations, abrogated verses or not, variances in reading, the many hadiths...man! etc etc etc

What about the early korans that were burned. There were at least 4 different versions of korans before a political order was given to have them burned!.
[FONT=arial,helvetica][FONT=arial,helvetica][FONT=arial,helvetica](ref "Al-Tamhid 2, 247 /[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica][FONT=arial,helvetica]Volume 6, Book 61, Number 510).[/FONT][/FONT]

Good thing we have Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji.

Apr 4, 2007
People change/evolve as a function of God's will. Shouldn't religion change/evolve as well? The practices of a time should be respected and remembered as practices of their time, and perhaps from time to time things can be learned from the wisdom of the elders. That does not mean that we should merely follow the lead of someone who was great in his time, but we should be great in our own time.

Neither cast off the past as if it were useless, nor worship the past as if that is all there ever will be.

just curious, but how do you apply this to sikhi? do you think it's ok to cut hair, because "times change"? what messages of our Gurus should we "remember as peractices of THEIR time", yet not implement in our own lives?

sorry, i know it's off topic, but i hear a lot of sikhs using the whole "times change" idea as an excuse for abandoning Guru sahib's hukam...

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Jasleen

Its a hardcore truth that where islam went other religions peroshed.But still people don't want to accept it.They still kept on saying that only handful of muslims are/were bad

Sardara123

SPNer
Jan 9, 2008
Words of a Muslim Poet Bulle Shah:

“na kahun abh ki, na kahun tab ki, agar na hote Guru Gobind Singh to sunaat hoti sabh ki”:
I talk about neither yesterday nor tomorrow; I talk about today. Had Gobind Singh not been there, they would all be under Islamic sway.

Satjot Kaur

SPNer
Jan 6, 2008
The Koran itself was written from recollections of people about what Prophet Muhammad said and did, so not only does it reflect human imperfections (Muhammad was human) but also whatever tainting the memories and communication skills of the writers contributed. Without Profit Muhammad here to make sure that his meaning is well understood, how sure can anyone be that what is interpreted is actually what he meant in his higher self?

just curious, but how do you apply this to sikhi? do you think it's ok to cut hair, because "times change"? what messages of our Gurus should we "remember as peractices of THEIR time", yet not implement in our own lives?

Times change, but that does not mean that everything changes. If something materially changes, or is found to be incorrect, then that is what should change. People should use their God-given judgment to discern what should be kept up and what should be archived.

Hair-cutting - If there is no reason to cut hair, then why do it? If it is possible that there are benefits to having uncut hair, and no detriment, leave it uncut. If a Sikh were placed in a prison camp where any prisoner with long hair would be grabbed by that hair and the head smashed onto stones, it would be better to cut the hair. A person is better off with short hair and remembering all that is Sikh on the inside than to look Sikh on the outside while the inside is destroyed.

Sikh do not cut hair, but do cut fingernails and toenails, correct? God made both to grow, but gave us judgment to decide if we were better off cutting our fingernails and being better able to use our hands or to let our nails grow.

Sep 29, 2006
guru fateh jasleen ji

you know sikhism is the only religion who respect all religion, as we gave place to all those persons ( irrespective of caste ,creed and religion) who actually believe in One God in our GURU GRANTH SAIHAB JI.But most of the muslims have this problem that they think muslims are the best, their religion is made by GOD himself, they are near to GOD etc etc.thats why they dont respect others which is not good. tell me if majority of muslim believe this thing then what shall we say??????????????????

Apr 4, 2007
guru fateh jasleen ji

you know sikhism is the only religion who respect all religion, as we gave place to all those persons ( irrespective of caste ,creed and religion) who actually believe in One God in our GURU GRANTH SAIHAB JI.But most of the muslims have this problem that they think muslims are the best, their religion is made by GOD himself, they are near to GOD etc etc.thats why they dont respect others which is not good. tell me if majority of muslim believe this thing then what shall we say??????????????????

i agree, we are supposed to respect all religions. so why is there so much hatred towards islam around here?

their religion teaches that they're the right ones. christianity teaches the same, how come no one here is after christians? it's part of their faith, and we should respect that. we don't have to follow it, we don't have to agree with it, but we should not hate them for it. we should be above that. we should be better than that.

just my thoughts. i'm done with this topic now. it seems like we discuss islam almost as much as sikhi lately. :)

fateh!

Sherab

SPNer
Mar 26, 2007
USA
Hair-cutting - If there is no reason to cut hair, then why do it? If it is possible that there are benefits to having uncut hair, and no detriment, leave it uncut. If a Sikh were placed in a prison camp where any prisoner with long hair would be grabbed by that hair and the head smashed onto stones, it would be better to cut the hair. A person is better off with short hair and remembering all that is Sikh on the inside than to look Sikh on the outside while the inside is destroyed.

Sikh do not cut hair, but do cut fingernails and toenails, correct? God made both to grow, but gave us judgment to decide if we were better off cutting our fingernails and being better able to use our hands or to let our nails grow.

Satjot Kaur, first off,

Theres a reason why the hair is kept in a joora. Don;t you think during the sikh wars, the deturbanned sikhs coud of had them same thing happen to them, if their turban was knocked off? thats also why they wear keski, in some form.

Second, the nails of the body are dead, not living. and you cut them due to inconcvenice, but we do ahve ways to manage long uncut hair, such as rishi knot, and turbans.

Satjot Kaur

SPNer
Jan 6, 2008
Sherab ji, I was searching for a possible example to make the point. The true point is that it is better to have a good functioning mind than to just wear the adornments of a religion.

Yes, the nails of the body are dead, but so it the hair. The Sikh have considered reasons for keeping the hair outweigh reasons for cutting the hair, and have reasoned that cutting the nails outweigh reasons for not cutting them.

In both cases, it is the reasoning that I am pointing to.

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
Sherab ji, I was searching for a possible example to make the point. The true point is that it is better to have a good functioning mind than to just wear the adornments of a religion.

Yes, the nails of the body are dead, but so it the hair. The Sikh have considered reasons for keeping the hair outweigh reasons for cutting the hair, and have reasoned that cutting the nails outweigh reasons for not cutting them.

In both cases, it is the reasoning that I am pointing to.
Satjot Ji let me clear this misconception. Nails never stop growing. Hair on the other hand will grow to a certain length! Nails were meant to be like that because humans use their hands a lot. Which in ancient history would be hard on their nails. Working with many rough tools would eventually reduce their nails to nothing, if nails didn't keep growing. Also with uncut nails in this century, you cannot do anything. Back in the stone age, you wouldn't need to worry as your nails would break and chip. But our nails are not placed under much stress anymore so cutting them is the logical thing to do. Think of a beaver, it's teeth keep growing, and it constantly needs to gnaw and chew on things to keep them short. The nails are similar in this sense, except they belong to humans.
OUr hair only grow to a certain length. Like out other limbs. Like if your arm keep growing you would definetly cut it. But it grows to a certain length. (and plus it hurts) so you don't cut it. The only difference is that cut hair do not hurt. They are just like anything else on your body and should be maintained without cutting.
Maybe this will provide a scientific perspective on the whole nails and hair issue.

Jan 15, 2008
Kansas & Haiti
wasn't marriage at a very young age common all across south asian society until very recently? i believe MK Gandhi was married at the age of 13, i think his wife was 11?
I would not compare the marriage of 54 year old Muhammad to 6 year old Aisha to Gandhi's marriage at the age of 13 to another child very near his age. He himself said, "It is my painful duty to have to record here my marriage at the age of thirteen. As I see the youngsters of the same age about me who are under my care, and think ofmy own marriage, I am inclined to pity myself and to congratulate them on having escaped my lt. I can see no moral argument in support of such a preposterously early marriage." (The Essential Gandhi, An Anthology of His Writings on His Life, Work, and Ideas)

No such declaration has been forthcoming from the followers of Muhammad and in the Islamic Republics, such as Iran, the legal age of adulthood for female children is 9, but remains at 15 for males. This is according to the Islamic belief that every actions of the prophets life is to be emulated, even down to how many rings males and females can wear and how to wash yourself before prayers

The legal age of adulthood for girls is 9, for boys 15. A woman's testimony is worth half that of a man's and a woman's inheritance is half that of a man's. A woman's "private parts" are head to toe and a man's private parts are from belly button to knee.

I agree that the sacred texts of many religions are just as ****** and offensive as the Quran. To tell the truth I can't read the Old Testament because of all the violence and genocide. So, why would I take issue with one religion over the other? Simply because Islam is the only one of the particularly violent religions (Abramaic, primarity) that CONTINUES to practice these atrocities.

I don't take issue with the religion per se, or claim that it is any better or worse at it's roots than any other religion was at it's roots. What I do take issue with is the continued crimes committed by continuing to drag the old practices into a more enlightened time. If we must compare the origins of these religions, you are right -- there is not one that is any bloodier than another. The difference is reform.

I will specify my main concerns. First, the oppression of women, including forced burqa (please read up on how these women suffer from rickets because of the fact that their skin is constantly shielded from the sun and the vitamin D they need to be healthy and have healthy children). Also continued female genital mutilation, which is still considered "honorable" by many Muslims because Muhammad accepted that practice (although he did recommend not to cut so deeply). The fact that women's testimony is worth half that of a man and therefore reporting rape is like suicide for many women. Muhammad himself actually picked up a stone and began the stoning and that practice continues to the present moment. Polygany is also an atrocity against women. The women have no choice in this matter and their only option if their husband takes another wife is to divorce him. I assume I don't have to say what a problem that could be for her but we do know that it is a long legal process, whereas all a man has to do to divorce his wife in Islam is to say the simple phrase, "I divorce you."

The Quran also orders dismemberment, which is still practiced in Islamic states, as is execution. Saudi Arabia actually has sword wielding executioners, do they not?

I do agree that there are situations just as horrendous in the old books of many religions. Solomon had gazillions of wives and God ordered genocide and so and so and so and so. But we don't do those things any more. Reform is what is needed in Islam.

I also agree that it's not my business to judge another person's choice of religion. However, it is all our business to look out for the basic human rights of any of our brothers and sisters in humanity. And ignoring these facts is not going to help the cause of Islam. There are people speaking out and that is good. I believe there are more and more Muslims who are stepping up and speaking out as well. Unfortunately, some of them are in grave danger and some have died. Some non Muslims as well (take the case of Theo Van Gogh who was cut down in the street and a death threat to Hirsi Van Ali pinned to his chest with a dagger to the heart). Reform is not going to easy, I don't believe.

This whole issue is a sticky wicket, no doubt. Because of the fact that many of us have come from other religions and I, like you, researched a lot of religions before I came to Sikhi. And one of the main things I was looking for was a faith that valued all spiritual paths. Therefore, I feel its very important to respect other religions and other people and other ways of perceiving and knowing God. On the same hand, I believe we all have to work towards justice in the world and in this particular case, there is much injustice still worked into the fabric of Islam that needs to be addressed. I also agree with you in that hate sites and phobia are not going to change anything. All they do is cause reasonable people to avoid the issue altogether for fear of being seen as one of the hate mongers.

In the meantime, the people who are being oppressed end up with no one on their side. The hate mongers are going their own way and the reasonable people are running in the opposite direction and the victims stay right where they are, many of them crying for help to no avail.

As I have found myself wishing so many times in my life, I once again think how wonderful it would be if caring, reasonable people could meet on common ground... how much we could get done together!

My husband and I went to the Unitarian church this past Sunday. It was totally secular, no prayer, no mention of God-by-any-name, no scripture, no song... nothing. A professor from the local college gave a lecture on three classic novels. I was looking for a place to worship (since there is no gurudwara) that might be somewhat open to all religions and I just couldn't stand to sit through another Christian service listening to gay bashing and hellfire and brimstone for all but Christians. But all I found was secular political activism. I thought the same thing -- I wish these two groups could just meet in the middle. Then we'd have God and prayer and spirituality AND political activism and intellectual growth.

But then, that would probably be the gurudwara, wouldn't it?

Respectfully :wah:

Satjot Kaur

SPNer
Jan 6, 2008
BhagatSing ji, If you cut off your arm, it does not re-grow. If you cut off your hair, it does. You explanation of the nails makes sense, but your argument likening the arm to the hair does not work.

Apr 4, 2007
I would not compare the marriage of 54 year old Muhammad to 6 year old Aisha to Gandhi's marriage at the age of 13 to another child very near his age. He himself said, "It is my painful duty to have to record here my marriage at the age of thirteen. As I see the youngsters of the same age about me who are under my care, and think ofmy own marriage, I am inclined to pity myself and to congratulate them on having escaped my lt. I can see no moral argument in support of such a preposterously early marriage." (The Essential Gandhi, An Anthology of His Writings on His Life, Work, and Ideas)

No such declaration has been forthcoming from the followers of Muhammad and in the Islamic Republics, such as Iran, the legal age of adulthood for female children is 9, but remains at 15 for males. This is according to the Islamic belief that every actions of the prophets life is to be emulated, even down to how many rings males and females can wear and how to wash yourself before prayers

The legal age of adulthood for girls is 9, for boys 15. A woman's testimony is worth half that of a man's and a woman's inheritance is half that of a man's. A woman's "private parts" are head to toe and a man's private parts are from belly button to knee.

I agree that the sacred texts of many religions are just as ****** and offensive as the Quran. To tell the truth I can't read the Old Testament because of all the violence and genocide. So, why would I take issue with one religion over the other? Simply because Islam is the only one of the particularly violent religions (Abramaic, primarity) that CONTINUES to practice these atrocities.

I don't take issue with the religion per se, or claim that it is any better or worse at it's roots than any other religion was at it's roots. What I do take issue with is the continued crimes committed by continuing to drag the old practices into a more enlightened time. If we must compare the origins of these religions, you are right -- there is not one that is any bloodier than another. The difference is reform.

I will specify my main concerns. First, the oppression of women, including forced burqa (please read up on how these women suffer from rickets because of the fact that their skin is constantly shielded from the sun and the vitamin D they need to be healthy and have healthy children). Also continued female genital mutilation, which is still considered "honorable" by many Muslims because Muhammad accepted that practice (although he did recommend not to cut so deeply). The fact that women's testimony is worth half that of a man and therefore reporting rape is like suicide for many women. Muhammad himself actually picked up a stone and began the stoning and that practice continues to the present moment. Polygany is also an atrocity against women. The women have no choice in this matter and their only option if their husband takes another wife is to divorce him. I assume I don't have to say what a problem that could be for her but we do know that it is a long legal process, whereas all a man has to do to divorce his wife in Islam is to say the simple phrase, "I divorce you."

i really don't want to keep posting in this thread, but i can't seem to stop myself.

first of all, which of these things do you see being practiced in the US or any other first world countries? hmm... non, so i'd say that most of these are cultural issues, rather than religious.

to address your issues... female genital mutilation is NOT part of islam. it's practiced by christians, muslims, and anamists in certain parts of africa and south asia as a CULTURAL practice. how come islam gets blamed for it when christians do the exact same thing? please site koranic verse if you believe otherwise. not hadith, as not all hadith are accepted by muslims, and some sects don't accept any hadith at all.

next, the age of aiesha at marriage is disputed. it is one of the most popular insult to hurl at muslims when trying to make them look bad.

Age of Aisha (ra) at time of marriage
Women in Islam-Marriage, Divorce, Childbirth, abortion,rights, politics-Marriage, Divorce, Childbirth, abortion,rights, politics-Best resource for Women issues in Islam (Submission ) on the Internet. Women in Islam-Submission-Muhammed-Allah-Qur'an-Ko
Islamic Questions and Answers: Aisha marriage what age was it?

next, "private parts"... are you referring to hijab? if so, according to the koran, women are supposed to wear modest clothing and cover their chest area with a shawl/scarf and not stare at men. men are not supposed to stare at women. the headscarf, though common, is not actually mentioned in the koran. the veil or burqa is not an islamic requirement or invention, but is required by certain cultures (it came from persia originally).
islamic hijab is no more strict than the dress of orthodox jewish women. are they oppressed? what about catholic nuns?
the vast majority of sikh women wear what would be considered acceptable hijab in most muslim countries. are we oppressed too?

next, woman's testimony... i'll just quote directly from submission.org:

The woman's testimony. is equal only to half of the man's testimony:This is a gross mis-representation. The woman testimony is equal to the man's testimony except in one case only, the financial transactions. This is according to 2:282; [ 2:282] O you who believe, when you transact a loan for any period, you shall write it down. An impartial scribe shall do the writing. ........ Two men shall serve as witnesses; if not two men, then a man and two women whose testimony is acceptable to all. Thus, if one woman becomes biased, the other will remind her. It is the obligation of the witnesses to testify when called upon to do so. ......
Financial transactions are the ONLY situations where two women may substitute for one man as witness. This is to guard against the real possibility that one witness may marry the other witness, and thus cause her to be biased. It is a recognized fact that women are more emotionally vulnerable than men. If the woman as a witness was worth half that of a man, the verse would have stated so clearly. But obviously that is not the case. Women's testimony in all other matters are equal to that of a man or even supersedes his testimony as in the case of a wife testifying against her accusation of adultery, 24:6-10. See also, 65:2, 5:106 and 4:6
Women in Islam-Marriage, Divorce, Childbirth, abortion,rights, politics-Marriage, Divorce, Childbirth, abortion,rights, politics-Best resource for Women issues in Islam (Submission ) on the Internet. Women in Islam-Submission-Muhammed-Allah-Qur'an-Ko

polygamy is ONLY allowed if the wife and wife-to-be agree to it. i don't favor it, personally, but it's hardly a muslim invention. hindus and sikhs and jews and christians have all practiced it at one time or another, some continue to do so. even the sikh rehet maryada doesn't say men can only marry one wife, it says "IN GENERAL, a man should not take more than one wife". this would obviously mean in some circumstances it's ok for sikhs to do it. i ask again, are we oppressed too?

ok, i'm really done with the thread now, i'm sure i've left you a lot to read. :)

start with Islam (Submission). Your best source for Islam on the Intenet. Happiness is submission to God.-Islam-Submission-Introduction,definition, discussion, debate, laws, justice, human rights, history, terrorism, Jihad, women, Jews, Jesus, Christianity-Isla, it will answer most of the common misconceptions with logical koranic reasoning.

i agree that many islamic majority cultures treat women poorly. so does most of india, central and south america, africa, SE asia... so does a heck of a lot of the US for that matter. let's try to fix our own house before worrying about what the neighbors are doing. :)

fateh!

Satjot Kaur

SPNer
Jan 6, 2008
The true point is that it is better to have a good functioning mind than to just wear the adornments of a religion.

You're missing the larger point...

Very well Sherab. I do believe that it is best to have all parts functioning to the best to be the best; but please explain to me what point is larger than if the choice is between looking Sikh and having one's mind united with Truth, that it is better to have one's mind united with Truth.

Jan 15, 2008
Kansas & Haiti
i really don't want to keep posting in this thread, but i can't seem to stop myself.

first of all, which of these things do you see being practiced in the US or any other first world countries? hmm... non, so i'd say that most of these are cultural issues, rather than religious.

Except that these practices are directly connected to the religion. There are many very smooth and practiced Imams out there and anyone can pull up a whole gaggle of them on youtube that will present all the candy coated arguments. But my experience is this -- when you get into Islam far enough, the truth starts coming out. That's when Muslims start telling you the truth about the religion. Of course these things don't happen nearly as much in the US and certainly not in the open but I'm sure we have all heard the stories of the Muslim women having surgery to repair a hymen and fgm brought to the US. Yes, they are cultural issues but you can't separate culture from religion -- Islam is part of the culture and these practices have their roots in religion. Why try to minimize the harmfulness of these practices by denying their roots in a religion? How is this helping the people who are being oppressed in this religion? How is it helping the cause of freedom of religion?

You say you researched Islam, but did you say the Shahada? Did you have Muslims around you teaching you the practices and the true beliefs of Islam? If not, that may be the root of our conflicting views. Before I reached that point, I believed the same things you do.

to address your issues... female genital mutilation is NOT part of islam. it's practiced by christians, muslims, and anamists in certain parts of africa and south asia as a CULTURAL practice. how come islam gets blamed for it when christians do the exact same thing? please site koranic verse if you believe otherwise. not hadith, as not all hadith are accepted by muslims, and some sects don't accept any hadith at all.

Again, you can't poison the well by ignoring the position of hadith in Islam. As I have already said, the salat is completely from hadith -- NOT Quran, and yet look at it's place in Islam around the world. That is the power and the position of hadith in Islam. The one distinctive feature of the religion that everybody around the entire planet recognizes Islam by is the salat. And yet you say we can't use hadith in an argument? That's not logical. Ask any Muslim if it's okay for a Muslim to ignore the salat. Then you will know the significance of hadith in Islam.

And of course, the restriction on using hadith concerning this argument is obvious. It's because that is where we find the story of Muhammad speaking to the cutter from Mecca when he meets her in Medina and asks her if she is still practicing cutting girls. She answers yes and he says that is fine, to continue doing so but just don't cut so deep. This is the root of the belief that fgm is honorable in many sects of Islam.

Yes, it is cultural as well, having roots in the days of the Pharaohs, but Islam condoned it and many sects still do. Many sects consider it necessary, some only honorable, but very few have spoken up clearly against it until the recent event of the Egyptian girl who died. I am not saying that Muslims are the only ones who practice this horrid mutilation of children. But, in this case, it has been condoned by the religion and Muslims need to stand up together and unequivocally denounce this practice and withdraw the hadith that protects it.

next, the age of aiesha at marriage is disputed.

I'm sorry but the only denials of Aisha's age at time of her marriage have been recent and untruthful. I've heard many of them and, as I said, didn't get the real story until I had gotten into the religion more deeply. It is widely known that Aisha was 6 years old when married and 9 when the marriage was consummated. There is no sense in denying it.

the veil or burqa is not an islamic requirement or invention, but is required by certain cultures

Tell that to the women in the Islamic states who are suffering from rickets.

.... Two men shall serve as witnesses; if not two men, then a man and two women whose testimony is acceptable to all. ...
It is a recognized fact that women are more emotionally vulnerable than men.

I do not recognize this "fact."

polygamy is ONLY allowed if the wife and wife-to-be agree to it.

I respectfully disagree. The husband absolutely does NOT have to get his first wife's permission to marry another. It is advised that he do so as "the pain" is lessened for the first wife if she knows what is happening, but not required.
Ask-Imam.com [9405] Can a husband marry another wife without getting the permission of the first wife?

but it's hardly a muslim invention. hindus and sikhs and jews and christians have all practiced it at one time or another,

As I have said, reform is the issue here... not history.

even the sikh rehet maryada doesn't say men can only marry one wife,

Well, this is something I didn't know then. It was my belief that Sikhs were monogamous -- was I wrong?

Believe it or not I have read, heard, seen plenty of Muslim apologists. My favorite one was the Imam that argued in defense of marrying children at the age of 9 because it ensures that they will already be placed in a marriage relationship when their sexual desires begin to mature.

As I have said, I believed as you did once. How far did you go in your research of Islam?

i agree that many islamic majority cultures treat women poorly. so does most of india, central and south america, africa, SE asia... so does a heck of a lot of the US for that matter. let's try to fix our own house before worrying about what the neighbors are doing. :)

Good point. But the things I'm speaking of here don't occur in my house. And any where I did see them occurring I would speak out against them.

In closing I'll just say that I don't think it helps to minimize any injustice by pointing to similar actions in history or by others. Just because someone else is doing something doesn't justify it. And ignoring it doesn't make it go away. Sure, you can justify the most horrendous things imaginable, and I'm sure you could find some instance in human history when someone else has either done the same thing or even worse -- but that doesn't make it any less of a crime.

I, like you, believe strongly in freedom of religion -- that is the freedom to choose a religion for yourself (which Islam does NOT afford its followers by the way). It is not, however, the freedom to act with impunity within that religion or in the name of religion. These injustices are real. They are happening and they are happening in Islam. That does not mean that we should all jump up and hate Islam. If you knew that the majority of the people in a certain city were punishing children by locking them in the basement without food for days on end, would you just burn down the city? Of course not. The same with Islam. There seem to be two camps on this issue -- one camp of apologists justifying and minimizing the injustice in their practices, and the other camp of haters who want to burn down the city.

What's needed is something in the middle. That would be Muslims joining together and demanding reform. Until that happens there will be no change and no help for the Muslims who are victimized by their own religion.

One of my best friends recently went through a divorce after she caught her husband cheating. When she confronted him with it his response was, "The way you act, you'd think I was the only man in the world that ever made a mistake."

No, Islam is not the only religion in the world that has committed atrocities -- not by a long shot. And it is not the only place in the world that you see women oppressed. It may be the only belief system that I know of that cuts off the hands and feet of theives and that sort of thing, but certainly not the only one that ever has done it at some point in history. But what has been done by others does not lessen the injustice of any act.

Respectfully

Satjot Kaur

SPNer
Jan 6, 2008
What's needed is something in the middle. That would be Muslims joining together and demanding reform. Until that happens there will be no change and no help for the Muslims who are victimized by their own religion.

Wouldn't that be kind of difficult for those most in need of the reform? The men are unlikely to band together for such a reform since the religion is already set up to give them what they want. Not all Muslim women are abused, and it is human nature to not believe that bad things are happening in your (fill in the blank here). The women who are oppressed and abused are so restricted that they would not be able to band together. They can not even leave the house without a chaperon or else the culture considers that it is okay to rape them. If she is being chaperoned by her abuser when she leaves, how can she even speak up for herself?

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
BhagatSing ji, If you cut off your arm, it does not re-grow. If you cut off your hair, it does. You explanation of the nails makes sense, but your argument likening the arm to the hair does not work.
yes its a bit off but you hair will grow to a certain length. That means the body is growing them to that length for a reason(could be genetics). Whereas nails grown indefinetly!
WEll, you hair can be regrown as they are not as complex as your arm.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: