• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Why This Forum Thesedays Is Full Of "saakats" (skeptics And Atheists) ?

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Friends spirituality is as much food as paratha, "saron da saag" and makki di roti, samosa or milk. We are all spiritual but with different levels of cravings for certain types or varieties of spiritual elements.

SGGS gives us plenty of spiritual food and also enables us to discover even more. The physical activities related to spirituality are simply anomalies. You can walk, ride a bike, take rickshaw, drive a motorcycle or a Mercedes to get your groceries. None of these are wrong as the end point is to get the groceries. If you think and detest somebody driving a Mercedes to pick up Sholay Bhaturay, you have a problem not the other person driving a Mercedes. If we focus on selves and self fulfillment in spirituality we are likely to be way ahead versus if we are correcting others or taking them to task. Share for sure but don't ridicule or mock as it probably brings you down in spirituality more than the person you are ridiculing or mocking!

If you mock or ridicule, you do so alone. You share the joy of spiritual discoveries, you are in joy with all.

How about the following,

Sat Sri Akal

Last edited:

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
I remember till a few years ago when I used to come to this forum , it still had a substantial number of sikhs with bhaavna in their hearts . Thesedays its full of skeptics and doubters !
The ones who make "kintu parantu" in everything !
Seeker2013 ji in terms of the topic of focus in this thread, I have couple of comments.

From what I understand, I could of course be very wrong, a very large part of SGGS was devoted to making Hindus and Muslims skeptic of their beliefs and what they followed or were asked to believe. So skepticism is as much part of Sikhism as perhaps most of the other teachings are. So being a skeptic does not make you a less of a Sikh but in my eyes it is almost a fundamental tenet of Sikhism. Of course as Sikhs we seek and look for eternal truths in all places, and many times skeptic thinking is what helps us understand or discover these.

There is also some dialog about atheism in this thread. If you at all believe and understand the "mool mantar" to be a set of fundamental truths, it is almost impossible to be classified an atheist thereafter. During my interactions at SPN, mool mantar is almost universally linked to by almost all contributors who declare themselves to be of Sikhism affiliation. So it also follows for me, that vast majority are not atheist who otherwise associate themselves to be a Sikh or of Sikhism.

Hence most of the contributors are not at variance to Sikhi proper or in reference to SGGS.

Just some humble thoughts. I stand corrected.

Sat Sri Akal.

Last edited:

Original

Writer
SPNer
Jan 9, 2011
London UK
Seeker2013 ji in terms of the topic of focus in this thread, I have couple of comments.

From what I understand, I could of course be very wrong, a very large part of SGGS was devoted to making Hindus and Muslims skeptic of their beliefs and what they followed or were asked to believe. So skepticism is as much part of Sikhism as perhaps most of the other teachings are. So being a skeptic does not make you a less of a Sikhc but in my eyes it is almost a fundamental tenet of Sikhism. Of course as Sikhs we seek and look for eternal truths in all places, and many times skeptic thinking is what helps us understand or discover these.

There is also some dialog about atheism in this thread. If you at all believe and understand the "mool mantar" to be a set of fundamental truths, it is almost impossible to be classified an atheist thereafter. During my interactions at SPN, mool mantar is almost universally linked to by almost all contributors who declare themselves to be of Sikhism affiliation. So it also follows for me, that vast majority are not atheist who otherwise associate themselves to be a Sikh or of Sikhism.

Hence most of the contributors are not at variance to Sikhi proper or in reference to SGGS.

Just some humble thoughts. I stand corrected.

Sat Sri Akal.
Respected Ambarsaria Ji - Good morning [05:32 UK],

Your text above is educational and pretty much in line with the views n virtues of the likes of Carl Sagan. He too like you, stresses the importance of skepticism, "my parents were not scientists. They knew almost nothing about science. But in introducing me simultaneously to skepticism n wonder, they taught me the two uneasily cohabiting modes of thought that are central to the scientific method".

However, I wouldn't go as far as saying, " ...skepticism a fundamental tenet of Sikhism" for that will be inconsistent with the concept of Guru n Disciple [Gur-Sikh], which will take away the "faith" element. Total n unconditional surrender is a priori - Nanak makes it absolutely clear -

ਜਉ ਤਉ ਪ੍ਰੇਮ ਖੇਲਣ ਕਾ ਚਾਉ ॥ ਸਿਰੁ ਧਰਿ ਤਲੀ ਗਲੀ ਮੇਰੀ ਆਉ ॥ ਇਤੁ ਮਾਰਗਿ ਪੈਰੁ ਧਰੀਜੈ ॥ ਸਿਰੁ ਦੀਜੈ ਕਾਣਿ ਨ ਕੀਜੈ ॥੨੦॥ {ਪੰਨਾ 1412}

What underpins the concept of Guru n Chela [Sikh] is the relinquishing of certain human rights, such as the assignment of the mind to the disposal thereof by the Guru. Clearly autonomy therefore is foregone.

Words in gest for the initiator of this thread

If I'm allowed a say, it would be to read in-between the lines of Seeker 2013's sentiments re Sikhism n Respect, much of which is to do with treatment rather than symptoms. Of course, being passionate n dispassionate about certain fundamentals is human, the idea is to rise above them and connect with the spiritual. What Sikhi is all about -

I'll take leave now Sir and bid you good day with Tejwant Singh Ji's salutation - Gurfateh !

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Original ji thanks for your reply. I do believe your comments about faith are well placed. The 'mool mantar" is embedded in my thought process and spirituality without much skepticism. So it must be faith, the upbringing or the inherent peace one has at some base level of spirituality. Such may originate from all kind of processes and faith for sure is part of it.

Another way I look at it is that once you start to believe or understand it can slowly transforms into faith. You may do it actively or passively. Classic example is "nirbhao"/without fear and "nirvair"/without animosity words in mool mantar. If a flood comes it is not that God/creator is trying to punish us. We may simply be affected or suffer because we are not fully in consonance with creation. The more one understands consonance with creation the better it becomes as we start to understand why!

The classic example that sticks in my mind among many others is the time of Tsunami damage in Japan. You can see the birds flying around cheerfully as masses of man made materials and structures are swept away and humans are drowning. If the dying expected and were at peace with such an event, they were in consonance. Those who called it or posited it as wrath of god, bad karma, etc., were not in consonance with creation. The beauty of nature is that it is full of surprises as we will never fully understand it. However if you are driven by inner desire to be in consonance with creation, the positive and negative surprises become so much easier to understand and handle. No hocks-pocus is the Sikhi way for me ;).

Sat Sri Akal and thanks for your very well articulated posts.

Last edited:

Inderjeet Kaur

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2011
Seattle, Washington, USA
I am still just a plain garden variety SRM Sikh who believes we are all the creation of the same Creator and everyone has something to learn from everyone else. I am also a huge believer in freedom of expression and diversity. Let all kinds have their say. While I enjoy reading responses that shore up my beliefs, I learn more from those that challenge them.

I've not noticed if the character of SPN has changed over the years. That is possible. SPN acts as a living growing organism and expect some change, but the core values remain the same. Possibly it has become less news-oriented, more focused on Sikh religious spiritual matters. This might have something to do with the censorship laws in India, maybe.

Come to think of it, I do see more debate on Sikh issues than we used to have, pretty much civil with an occasional lighter note.

JourneyOflife

Writer
SPNer
Apr 8, 2015
I have nothing against reaching out to God or meditation, in fact, I recently started a thread that gave my view on both, which is, if it feels good, then do it, whether its worshipping statues, feeding deities, whatever, it that's how you worship god, good for you, enjoy.

my problem is when people are unable to answer questions, the current situation in this thread, Is Sikhism about listing all your earthly desires and then praying till they have all been given? what do you think?

For the first paragraph, I agree completely. I actually don't care how someone wants to worship God as long as they are not infringing someone else's freedoms, and as long as we don't try to make room for absolutely everything to fit in Sikhi. Some things, like caste and idol worship have no place at all in Sikhi and the people who want to practice them should not be allowed to bring them into Sikhi under the guise of "it is my choice to practice religion/spirituality however I like!!"

But then you have people feeling villified for things like meditation and it just makes me scratch my head. How is meditation counter to Sikhi at all? What was Guru Arjun Dev Ji doing when he was seated on the hot plate? What did the Sikhs find Guru Amar Das Ji and Guru Tegh Bahadur Ji doing when they went out looking for the Guru?

Likewise, I remember comments about how the guy was hiding in his "cocoon" and other such jabs. And I do believe he tried to explain his reasons for meditation multiple times, but it fell on deaf ears. I just don't see how this is productive discussion at all.

For the second paragraph, no, that is not what I think Sikhi is about. But I also don't think Sikhi is some sort of secular philosophy either. The latter is what I get the impression of on this forum. I disagree with this view just as much as the view you highlighted in your second paragraph...

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Some things, like caste and idol worship have no place at all in Sikhi and the people who want to practice them should not be allowed to bring them into Sikhi under the guise of "it is my choice to practice religion/spirituality however I like!!"

Where do you draw the line? Would you find a bunch of Sikhs worshipping a photo of the tenth master acceptable? How about a bunch of Sikhs spending more time worrying about the temperature in Babaji's room? the material used? the size of the room? or how about paying someone money to mumble their way as fast as possible through the SGGS? so that covers idol worship, lets see about caste, caste has a very very big place in Sikhism, it would be naïve to think otherwise, so caste and idol worship are both rife in standard mainstream Sikhism.

But then you have people feeling villified for things like meditation and it just makes me scratch my head

let me make myself quite clear, I could not care less what other people do, worship god by inserting carrots in your orifices if its what you want, makes no difference to me, no what I have a problem with is being told repeatedly that by doing this, I feel a certain way, and open my eyes to experiences I could not possibly experience otherwise, by all means meditate, by all means write about it, but I feel quite offended at the constant pressure that if I am not meditating then I am doing something wrong, or worse, as an answer to a problem, often I read, try meditating, which is fair enough, followed by, you will feel such and such, and it will make you feel such and such, well, how can that possibly be substantiated? In any case, it begs the question what is meditation? Is meditation what I do in the bath? is it thinking? is it contemplating? oh its all those things I am told, but when push comes to shove, it all seems to come back to one thing, the use of words and breathing to artificially put the brain into a suggestive state that feels pleasurable, the trouble is, these feelings seem to only be present during this state, given the behaviour of some of the meditators on this forum, this can clearly be seen, the writing is painfully polite, aloof, its like watching a drug addict waiting for his next fix, life becomes irrelevant, a place full of problems and strife, best to wait for the 'happy place' where all is good, and there are no people to deal with, the desire to meditate, to escape becomes addictive, it is this state that becomes reality and real life with all its challenges becomes the illusion, if your talking about thinking, I am all for it, if your talking about Vedic relaxation techniques with a view to Vedic realisation through chanting, well that's something else, the obsession with finding the tenth eye, is that particularly Sikhi to you?

How is meditation counter to Sikhi at all? What was Guru Arjun Dev Ji doing when he was seated on the hot plate? What did the Sikhs find Guru Amar Das Ji and Guru Tegh Bahadur Ji doing when they went out looking for the Guru?

Guru Arjan Devji was standing against tyranny, and showing the world that there are men, and women, who will stand up for what they believe in, and accept the consequences with bravery and without fear, personally the thought that he put himself in a trance like state to achieve this seems quite distasteful to me, did he need to? ah yes, Guru Tegh Bahadurji spent 26 years meditating, first, could you confirm you believe this to be good and true and line with Guru Nanakjis philosophies? , then we may continue.

Likewise, I remember comments about how the guy was hiding in his "cocoon" and other such jabs. And I do believe he tried to explain his reasons for meditation multiple times, but it fell on deaf ears. I just don't see how this is productive discussion at all.

sorry you will have to quote this, was it from another thread?

But I also don't think Sikhi is some sort of secular philosophy either. The latter is what I get the impression of on this forum.

Guru Nanakji wanted us to be householders not ascetics, he wanted us to be real people, with jobs, kids and wives. He wanted us to reject superstition, ritual, ceremony, and just accept the one Creator, and assist in the work of Creator, I suppose to some, without all the bells and whistles, that may come across as secular.

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
I myself have had my own living as both an atheist an and an agnostic but after I developed my own personal relationship with SGGS , now I feel like all those years were waste when i was being doubtful by being an atheist and agnostic

Not a waste my good friend...stepping into the dark helps you see the light...everything has its place...even this forum

You.ll get what you need from the forum...and you.ll share with others what you need to...and then you move into another phase of your journey...awakening day by day....

One day when you're walking on pastures new...another sikh is doubting questioning...jumping from forum to forum. ..drinking l...chasing after desires...but being gently pulled in the right direction by the light within...

Such a wonderful play :)

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
I believe in Ek Ong Kar period, I am a Sikh period.

In my opinion Ek Ong Kar is not a Abrahamic god like figure, I don't quite know what it is, but I do have a fair idea what it ain't.

Feel the force young padawan...

Having taken a dive within the sea of the mind...I see some truth in even the star wars movies...

An open mind is a free mind...with it the truth starts to become visible in the strangest of places...it's all the domain of waheguru. ..

Ahhh...so you do have some faith and belief :)

God bless... it's strange...I. M sat on a beach in Aruba. ..and I. M posting on this forum...can't keep away from this thing they call Sikhi. ... :)

Navdeep88

Writer
SPNer
Dec 22, 2009
Where do you draw the line? Would you find a bunch of Sikhs worshipping a photo of the tenth master acceptable? How about a bunch of Sikhs spending more time worrying about the temperature in Babaji's room? the material used? the size of the room?.

Harry Ji,

What is WRONG with worrying about temperature? Isn't it an everyday practical thing we would worry about in our homes?

I do agree with you that there's a line between obsessing frantically over details (reading but missing the message) and doing practical things to retain comfort, respect etc.

JourneyOflife

Writer
SPNer
Apr 8, 2015
Where do you draw the line? Would you find a bunch of Sikhs worshipping a photo of the tenth master acceptable?

I wouldn't go over and physically stop them from doing it. If there are Sikhs who want to worship pictures of the Gurus then far be it from me to go over and rip them up. What I am referring to is a doctrinal acceptance of these practices. That is what I am opposed to. Sikhs do many things which are not in-line with Sikhi because Sikhs, like everyone else, are also regular humans and none of us are perfect. But that doesn't mean we say "okay Sikhs are doing all these things, I suppose they are a part of Sikhi or we should adopt them into Sikhi." I want to maintain that there are many things Sikhs do in spite of Gurbani, not because of it.

So would I find Sikhs worshiping a picture of the tenth master acceptable? I would try to talk them out of it by showing how the practice contradicts Gurbani. But I wouldn't physically force them to stop. Regardless of the outcome, I would not say that the practice is endorsed or acceptable by Sikhi. I do many things in my life which probably wouldn't have been accepted by the Gurus and I like to be honest about how just because I do it, doesn't mean it is acceptable from the point of view of Sikhi.

How about a bunch of Sikhs spending more time worrying about the temperature in Babaji's room? the material used? the size of the room?

I think they're probably being overly fussy about things, but I wouldn't compare it to "idol worship" as you have done.

or how about paying someone money to mumble their way as fast as possible through the SGGS?

Is this a reference to Akhand Paaths? The Sikh Rehat Maryada is pretty clear that they are not supposed to be "mumbled through as fast as possible." If there are people who do so, then they should be reminded of their duty to recite SGGS Ji at a rate which is comprehensible to the attending Sangat.

so that covers idol worship,

lets see about caste, caste has a very very big place in Sikhism, it would be naïve to think otherwise, so caste and idol worship are both rife in standard mainstream Sikhism.

This is where choice of words is very important. I have never denied that there are many Sikhs, especially in India, who have unfortunately blurred the lines between Sikhi and Hinduism and engage in these sorts of practices. But what I was trying to get across in my last post and have stressed above in this one is that just because there are practices going on among Sikhs- no matter how wide-spread they may be- that go against the message of Gurbani, it does not give us the right to suddenly adopt them into Sikhi and proclaim them to be acceptable from the POV of the Guru. I would try and use reason to get people away from idol worship and believing in caste but regardless of the outcome I would never say these practices are accepted by Sikh doctrine. They happen in spite of Sikhi, not because of it.

And of course, I brought up meditation because I think it is encouraged in Sikhi and in-line with Gurbani. Which is why I can't understand the taunting (at best) or the vilifying (at worst) that happens to people who promote it on SPN...

let me make myself quite clear, I could not care less what other people do, worship god by inserting carrots in your orifices if its what you want, makes no difference to me,

Nice to know there is at least one person who can tolerate my method of worship :)

no what I have a problem with is being told repeatedly that by doing this, I feel a certain way, and open my eyes to experiences I could not possibly experience otherwise, by all means meditate,

Why do you have a problem with this?

by all means write about it, but I feel quite offended at the constant pressure

There is no "constant pressure" to meditate on SPN.

that if I am not meditating then I am doing something wrong, or worse, as an answer to a problem, often I read, try meditating, which is fair enough, followed by, you will feel such and such, and it will make you feel such and such, well, how can that possibly be substantiated?

I'm sorry I don't follow.

In any case, it begs the question what is meditation? Is meditation what I do in the bath? is it thinking? is it contemplating?

So the issue is with properly defining meditation?

but when push comes to shove, it all seems to come back to one thing, the use of words and breathing to artificially put the brain into a suggestive state that feels pleasurable

How do you naturally "put the brain into a suggestive state that feels pleasurable" and how is this different from "artificially putting the brain into a suggestive state that feels pleasurable."

the trouble is, these feelings seem to only be present during this state, given the behaviour of some of the meditators on this forum, this can clearly be seen

That's a very small sample size. I know many people in my life who meditate and the consensus seems to be that the benefits of it carry over into all aspects of life. Secular studies on meditation overwhelmingly indicate the same thing.

life becomes irrelevant, a place full of problems and strife, best to wait for the 'happy place' where all is good, and there are no people to deal with, the desire to meditate, to escape becomes addictive,

I am highly skeptical of this being an inherent feature of practicing meditation even if there were people who exhibited this behavior. Humans can get addicted to almost anything. There are millions of people addicted to the internet, to television, to prescription pills. These numbers far outweigh any possible addicts to meditation. I'll begin to consider this a valid argument against meditation when I see widespread calls to stop (among other things) internet, television and prescription drug uses for the same reason.

if your talking about thinking, I am all for it,

"Thinking" about what?

if your talking about Vedic relaxation techniques with a view to Vedic realisation through chanting, well that's something else,

What do the Vedas have to do with this? Meditation arguably outdated the Vedas by thousands of years. Who knows, perhaps it was developed very early on by humans following our arrival on the evolutionary scene.

the obsession with finding the tenth eye, is that particularly Sikhi to you?

I don't think obsession with anything is "particularly Sikhi".

Guru Arjan Devji was standing against tyranny, and showing the world that there are men, and women, who will stand up for what they believe in, and accept the consequences with bravery and without fear, personally the thought that he put himself in a trance like state to achieve this seems quite distasteful to me, did he need to?

The question wasn't "did he need to" (I have no idea if he did), but what exactly "he was doing" when he was on there. Every version of this account I have come across states that he was meditating, almost certainly on Gurbani. I have come across no good reason to believe otherwise.

ah yes, Guru Tegh Bahadurji spent 26 years meditating, first, could you confirm you believe this to be good and true and line with Guru Nanakjis philosophies? , then we may continue.

I think it is important to point out that while he spent 26 years meditating, no one is saying that's all he did for that period of time. He worked, he shared and did other things associated with a 'normal' Sikh life. The emphasis on meditation is used as a foil against the martial and political activities of the 6th-8th Guru during their reigns, reigns the 9th Guru lived through himself.

This also brings to light a potential difference in our approach to Sikhi. You have called it "Guru Nanakjis philosophies". I don't believe it is a mere philosophy at all. I'm sure there are overlapping features between Sikhi and philosophy, but to say that Sikhi is Guru Nanak's philosophy is in a sense to say that Sikhi was created by the Guru himself. I don't believe this to be true, and everything I have read in Gurbani and accompanying literature like the Vaars of Bhai Gurdas thus far seems to indicate that Sikhi was given to the Guru by Waheguru, not the Guru merely speculating on what may or may not be a "nice way to live."

And no, I don't find anything about those 26 years of Guru Teg Bahadur ji to be out of line with the Sikhi given to the first Guru.

Yes, post 26: http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/threa...hat-does-gurbani-say.44909/page-2#post-201963

Guru Nanakji wanted us to be householders not ascetics, he wanted us to be real people, with jobs, kids and wives.

Yes of course, I fully understand.

He wanted us to reject superstition,

Yes.

ritual, ceremony,

Not necessarily. Guru Nanak never spoke out against ritual and ceremony in general, just blind ritualism and blind ceremony in particular, or believing that it makes you somehow holier or purer than people who don't share the same rituals/ceremonies as yourself.

and just accept the one Creator, and assist in the work of Creator,

How do you "assist in the work of Creator"? What is this work? Why should we do it?

Last edited:

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
JourneyOflife said:
Harry asked:

And below is the post number given by
Yes, post 26: http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/threa...hat-does-gurbani-say.44909/page-2#post-201963

Being naughty is not the part of this thread. What you do in your private life is your life. No one has the right to interfere in that. This is a serious subject which demands respect from all of us. Sikhi is all about caring for all humankind. It not about dwelling in one's own self created cocoon hoping one day to come out like a fluttering butterfly. Only dwelling in Gurmat cocoon one may become fortunate for that leap.

JourneyOfLife ji,

Guru Fateh.

The above is the post written by me to Chaz Singh ji.

Would you be kind enough to show where it is mentioned about "hiding in his "cocoon"" as you implied and how is the post a jab in the context it was written?

And lastly, please define meditation as per SGGS, our only Guru. Please use the word/s that define meditation in the SGGS.

Thanks

Tejwant Singh

JourneyOflife

Writer
SPNer
Apr 8, 2015
JourneyOflife said:

Harry asked:

And below is the post number given by

JourneyOfLife ji,

Guru Fateh.

The above is the post written by me to Chaz Singh ji.

Would you be kind enough to show where it is mentioned about "hiding in his "cocoon"" as you implied and how is the post a jab in the context it was written?

And lastly, please define meditation as per SGGS, our only Guru. Please use the word/s that define meditation in the SGGS.

Thanks

Tejwant Singh

Guru Fateh Tejwant Ji,

Would you be kind enough to show where it is mentioned about "hiding in his "cocoon"" as you implied

The last time I visited that thread was back in July and so I was paraphrasing the comment, hence the quotation marks around cocoon (I distinctly remember this word being used) but not hiding (and so no quotations around it).

and how is the post a jab in the context it was written?

Is "dwelling in one's own self-created cocoon" a reference to meditation? It appeared to me that it was but I am now unsure.

Thank you for the question. For the record I don't think meditation in Sikhi is completely parallel with what is found in religions like Buddhism or practiced secularly in the west, although there are certainly some base similarities. This is why I think it is important for us to turn to SGGS Ji for our understanding of what the Gurus meant by meditation instead of accepting the standard definition from other traditions. So thank you for the important question.

In reply to your inquiry I must first point out that while I am learning Gurmukhi I am still no expert on it so welcome this discussion. Some words I have a good enough grasp on but others are currently beyond my understanding.

I ran a search in srigranth.org here

http://www.srigranth.org/servlet/gurbani.gurbani?Action=AdvancedSearchGurbani

One simple word which is often translated as 'meditate' or 'meditation' is Dhian. As per my understanding Dhian means something along the lines of concentration, awareness, focus. So when Gurbani tells us to meditate on the Guru and the word for meditate is "dhian", it appears to be saying that we must keep our focus, our awareness and our concentration firmly on our Guru. When it says to meditate on the Creator and the word is again dhian, we are being told focus, concentrate on and keep our awareness rooted in the Creator.

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
JourneyOflife ji,

Guru Fateh.

I apologise for not making myself clear. Let's start all over, shall we?

The following is your post to Harry ji.

Your above post was based on my post below:

Being naughty is not the part of this thread. What you do in your private life is your life. No one has the right to interfere in that. This is a serious subject which demands respect from all of us. Sikhi is all about caring for all humankind. It not about dwelling in one's own self created cocoon hoping one day to come out like a fluttering butterfly. Only dwelling in Gurmat cocoon one may become fortunate for that leap.

When asked by me about it, you used the word reference rather than jab, the word you used in your post to Harry ji.
Why this change because there is a lot of difference between a jab and a reference as you know?

Is "dwelling in one's own self-created cocoon" a reference to meditation? It appeared to me that it was but I am now unsure.

I am also certain that you know the difference between 'hiding', the word you used to paraphrase my thought and 'dwelling', the one used by me.

Would you be kind enough to state why this inconsistency between your commenting about my post to Harry ji and the original post from me? You are giving a different message to Harry ji about my post than what I wrote in actuality.In other words, your accusations are based not on my post but on yourself. Can you please explain that?

I am sure you have noticed that I used the word cocoon, twice in expressing my thought. What do you understand by the second one,"Only dwelling in Gurmat cocoon one may become fortunate for that leap"?

Regarding the use of meditation in the SGGS, Dhian is just one word out of many in Gurmukhi used by the the translator. If you use the search engine of srigranth.org, you will find that dhian is just one of them. The followings words are just a few out of many which are translated into English as Meditation. And all these words mean different things in the SGGS.
jap,gi▫ān vīcẖār,suraṯ,simrī▫ai,ṯap

If our Gurus wanted to talk about meditation, then they would have used just one word rather than so many with different meanings or different words with the same meaning. Don't you think so?

Is it possible that none of these words mean meditation but the translator, in this case Sant Singh Khalsa got it all wrong? In case you did not know, I have mentioned here by showing from the SGGS how Sant Singh Khalsa's translation is not only incorrect but rather quite misleading. As you mentioned that you are not fluent in Gurmukhi, then you would not know the difference. This is the reason, I only gave the romanised version of only some of the words used as 'meditation' by the translator from the SGGS,our only Guru.

Isn't it dangerous when the wrong/incorrect/misleading message is given by the translators to the people, especially to those who are not fluent in Gurmukhi?

Please share your thoughts.

Thanks & regards

Tejwant Singh

Last edited:

JourneyOflife

Writer
SPNer
Apr 8, 2015
Guru Fateh Tejwant ji,

JourneyOflife ji,

Guru Fateh.

Sure.

I am also certain that you know the difference between 'hiding', the word you used to paraphrase my thought and 'dwelling', the one used by me.

Yes I am aware and the reason I used it was because, as before, I had forgotten the exact phrasing of the original statement by you. Had I remembered, I would've used "dwelling" instead. I apologize if you were taken aback by that, it was my mistake.

When asked by me about it, you used the word reference rather than jab, the word you used in your post to Harry ji.
Why this change because there is a lot of difference between a jab and a reference as you know?

Would you be kind enough to state why this inconsistency between your commenting about my post to Harry ji and the original post from me? You are giving a different message to Harry ji about my post than what I wrote in actuality.In other words, your accusations are based not on my post but on yourself. Can you please explain that?

I don't think it is an inconsistency at all, rather a misunderstanding. I feel like I've used this phrase a lot today, but the two (reference and jab) are not mutually exclusive. If it is indeed a reference to meditation then I would also consider it to be a jab at people who engage in the practice. Of course like I mentioned before I am unsure as to whether it is actually talking about meditation, hence my plea for clarity.

I am sure you have noticed that I used the word cocoon, twice in expressing my thought. What do you understand by the second one,"Only dwelling in Gurmat cocoon one may become fortunate for that leap"?

Yes I did notice, and this is one of the reasons the word "hiding" came to mind when I was paraphrasing your original statement. Assuming that "dwelling in one's own self-construed cocoon" is actually a reference to meditation, then the phrase "Sikhi is all about caring for all humankind. It not about dwelling in one's own self created cocoon hoping one day to come out like a fluttering butterfly. Only dwelling in Gurmat cocoon one may become fortunate for that leap" does bring "hiding" to my mind.

The statement seems to suggest that because a) "Sikhi is all about caring for all humankind" and b) It isn't about "dwelling in one's own self-construed cocoon..." (which I am assuming to be a reference to meditation), then it naturally follows that engaging in meditation shows a lack of "caring for all humankind." And because legitimately caring about humankind means working to make a difference in the world then if meditation is lack of caring for humankind, it is taken as hiding from the world rather than engaging in it. Of course I think this is a false dichotomy and therefore disagree. But I hope that clears up the hiding vs. dwelling and reference vs. jab issue.

Regarding the use of meditation in the SGGS, Dhian is just one word out of many in Gurmukhi used by the the translator. If you use the search engine of srigranth.org, you will find that dhian is just one of them. The followings words are just a few out of many which are translated into English as Meditation. And all these words mean different things in the SGGS.

Yes I noticed the variation in words being translated as meditation or meditate. Unfortunately my Gurbani skills are not up to the level where I know the meaning of all the words mentioned by you so I would highly appreciate it if you could just give a short-run down of the meanings of jap, gian, surat, simriai and tap. I am sure others and myself would benefit from your sharing of knowledge.

If our Gurus wanted to talk about meditation, then they would have used just one word rather than so many with different meanings or different words with the same meaning. Don't you think so?

No, because I don't think meditation in Sikhi is a one-dimensional concept. It could entail many different things in many different situations/contexts, hence the variety of words used. The 'meditation' we do throughout our day could mean something different to the 'meditation' we do upon arising in the morning, and so different words are used to best capture the essence of what the Gurus actually meant.

Is it possible that none of these words mean meditation but the translator, in this case Sant Singh Khalsa got it all wrong? In case you did not know, I have mentioned here by showing from the SGGS how Sant Singh Khalsa's translation is not only incorrect but rather quite misleading. As you mentioned that you are not fluent in Gurmukhi, then you would not know the difference. This is the reason, I only gave the romanised version of only some of the words used as 'meditation' by the translator from the SGGS,our only Guru.

Isn't it dangerous when the wrong/incorrect/misleading message is given by the translators to the people, especially to those who are not fluent in Gurmukhi?

Yes that is very much possible. But then why pick on 'meditation' alone? No translation into the English or any other language can by itself (without some form of exegesis) can ever fully or 100% correctly capture the essence of what the Guru was trying to say. I would much rather have Sikhs abandon this foreign terminology altogether and work on standardizing their own vocabulary so we don't need to deal with these translational errors. But until that happens I will most likely continue to use 'meditation' because so far it is the best word I have been able to find in the English language. If you have found another word you feel is a better translation please do share.

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Tejwant Ji said:

Journey of Life Ji said:
... I would highly appreciate it if you could just give a short-run down of the meanings of jap, gian, surat, simriai and tap. I am sure others and myself would benefit from your sharing of knowledge.

Just my personal opinion, but I think different words are used for a couple of reasons; the main one is use of synonyms for the same concept to fit with the rhyme or metre of the poetry, and the next is use of subtlety of meaning.

I'm not sure they can be adequately translated, really, at least not without making one line of Gurbani poetry worth three lines of English prose to try to explain. :)

I have found that the context of the shabad in which the word appears generally gives one a good impression of what the words should mean.

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
JourneyOflife ji,

Guru Fateh.

The following is your post to Harry ji.

Your above post was based on my post below:

Please share your thoughts.

Thanks & regards

Tejwant Singh

Tejwant ji

I think many times my meditations experiences and other members meditational experiences have been described by yourself and other members as merely drug induced like experiences amongst other such type references.

I think this is what journeyoflife is referring to.

My experiences of simran using dyaan and reaching a point of ik man...single mindedness on shabad cannot even be explained by myself...they are very personal between my and my guru...

In which case calling it merely a drug induced like experience or something else is quite ridiculous...because you or other members have 'no idea'

:)

But I don't expect you to...10 years ago...if I heard myself saying the things I say today...I would have laughed at it...made fun of it...or mocked myself...

I even tried to explain to my own wife that this is the real deal...even she looked at me like I. M nuts...:)

Last edited:

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Tejwant ji

I think many times my meditations experiences and other members meditational experiences have been described by yourself and other members as merely drug induced like experiences amongst other such type references.

I think this is what journeyoflife is referring to.

My experiences of simran using dyaan and reaching a point of ik man...single mindedness on shabad cannot even be explained by myself...they are very personal between my and my guru...

In which case calling it merely a drug induced like experience or something else is quite ridiculous...because you or other members have 'no idea'

:)

But I don't expect you to...10 years ago...if I heard myself saying the things I say today...I would have laughed at it...made fun of it...or mocked myself...

I even tried to explain to my own wife that this is the real deal...even she looked at me like I. M nuts...:)

Chaz Singh ji,

Guru Fateh,

I beg to differ with you. JourneyOflife was talking about one particular post of mine which he had posted and we have clarified that.
I would request one thing from you though, please post where I mentioned the above in Bold as you claim I did.

Thanks & regards

Tejwant Singh

japjisahib04

Mentor
SPNer
Jan 22, 2005
kuwait
There is sakhi. What is today called as Nanak Matta, it is said was earlier called the Gorakh Matta. When Guru Nanak with Mardana and other reached in Gorakhmatta, yogis welcomed him and the yogi Lohari-Pa Nath offered him a rose. Mardana pointed out and enquired from Guru Ji whether yogis have changed their behaviors as earlier whenever they used to come to their place, yogis used to argue for hours, but now are offering rose with pleasure. Guru Nanak replied this flower is not offered as welcome, instead they have raised a question through it “that ‘yog mat’ is like a rose flower”. It has fragrance of Ridhi and Sidhi (magical methods). It has beauty of worldly worship, fame and has softness of communion (Samadhi). And they are enquiring why until today have not adopted ‘yog mat - the meditation’ Guru Nanak returned that flower back to yogis and said this flower is beautiful, soft and has fragrance, but he is not worshipper of that flower which does not yield fruit. As gurbani says, 'ਏ ਮਨ ਹਰਿਆ ਸਹਜ ਸੁਭਾਇ ॥ ਸਚ ਫਲੁ ਲਾਗੈ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਭਾਇ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥

He said they were only after acquiring powers, with different yogic assans and meditations on some mantras and would get those powers too. But these will in no way bring sehaj. People thought that meditation experience was perhaps the best achievement in human life, because they did not know how to connect with Naam and hence connect with God. Guru Nanak realized the truth through Naam. He humbly suggested them not to waste this blessed birth in mantras, worshipping of deities and yogic assans. He says this does not connect one with the God; hence the whole process is useless. It is only the Naam through which one will get united with God. He does not want Ridhi Sidhi, worshiping of world and fame. Guru Nanak is looking for fruit the creativeness of Naam. He said, “Without the creativity of Naam, cursed is such spirituality, cursed is such miracles.”- Guru Granth ang.650.6. I consider root of life only Naam. Hence I do not require this flower, which does not have essence of Naam. Therefore he advised them to perform only those deeds, which yield Spiritual Knowledge and finally which bears fruit, and told them any deeds, which have no relation with ‘righteousness’, are hypocrisy.

It is under this background that Guru Arjun Ji says the “Messenger of Death plunders all the religious rites, rituals and hypocrisies that bear no fruit.” In fact that ‘Karam’ is only worth which connects the conscious with God and creativity.

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
There is sakhi. What is today called as Nanak Matta, it is said was earlier called the Gorakh Matta. When Guru Nanak with Mardana and other reached in Gorakhmatta, yogis welcomed him and the yogi Lohari-Pa Nath offered him a rose. Mardana pointed out and enquired from Guru Ji whether yogis have changed their behaviors as earlier whenever they used to come to their place, yogis used to argue for hours, but now are offering rose with pleasure. Guru Nanak replied this flower is not offered as welcome, instead they have raised a question through it “that ‘yog mat’ is like a rose flower”. It has fragrance of Ridhi and Sidhi (magical methods). It has beauty of worldly worship, fame and has softness of communion (Samadhi). And they are enquiring why until today have not adopted ‘yog mat - the meditation’ Guru Nanak returned that flower back to yogis and said this flower is beautiful, soft and has fragrance, but he is not worshipper of that flower which does not yield fruit. As gurbani says, 'ਏ ਮਨ ਹਰਿਆ ਸਹਜ ਸੁਭਾਇ ॥ ਸਚ ਫਲੁ ਲਾਗੈ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਭਾਇ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥

He said they were only after acquiring powers, with different yogic assans and meditations on some mantras and would get those powers too. But these will in no way bring sehaj. People thought that meditation experience was perhaps the best achievement in human life, because they did not know how to connect with Naam and hence connect with God. Guru Nanak realized the truth through Naam. He humbly suggested them not to waste this blessed birth in mantras, worshipping of deities and yogic assans. He says this does not connect one with the God; hence the whole process is useless. It is only the Naam through which one will get united with God. He does not want Ridhi Sidhi, worshiping of world and fame. Guru Nanak is looking for fruit the creativeness of Naam. He said, “Without the creativity of Naam, cursed is such spirituality, cursed is such miracles.”- Guru Granth ang.650.6. I consider root of life only Naam. Hence I do not require this flower, which does not have essence of Naam. Therefore he advised them to perform only those deeds, which yield Spiritual Knowledge and finally which bears fruit, and told them any deeds, which have no relation with ‘righteousness’, are hypocrisy.

It is under this background that Guru Arjun Ji says the “Messenger of Death plunders all the religious rites, rituals and hypocrisies that bear no fruit.” In fact that ‘Karam’ is only worth which connects the conscious with God and creativity.

Yes ji...

Only love can take us back...to satnaam. ..wanting anything else...powers or material gain will create big hurdles...

True selfless love...and god will make himself known ... God bless

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM