• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Why Orthodox Sikh Terrorists Are Up In Arms

Jan 6, 2005
Metro-Vancouver, B.C., Canada
source: INDIAN CATHOLIC : Why orthodox Sikh terrorists are up in arms

Why orthodox Sikh terrorists are up in arms

INDIAN CATHOLIC NEWS - Sunday, Jun 14, 2009

Several days after the attack on the top leadership of the Ravidass religious sect by orthodox Sikh terrorists in Vienna, Austria, the world governments and the global human rights and human dignity community have apparently not understood the significance and implications of this incident.

One high priest died, the head of the sect was injured, three persons were killed so far in the subsequent violence in India, several towns were placed under military curfew, and billions of rupees worth of public property was destroyed.

This is not the first time caste tensions in India burst into ****** violence in Europe. Similar incidents happened in the United Kingdom and even in the United States, said international president of the Dalit Freedom Network, Joseph Dsouza.

On May 24 last, a group of armed Sikh upper caste expatriates raided a place of worship in Vienna where Sant Niranjan Dass, aged about 68 and head of the Dera Sachkhand Ballan of the Shri Guru Ravidass Sabha movement, was preaching. The movement is based near Jalandhar in Punjab state of India. He was grievously injured and his associate Sant Rama Nand, aged about 56, killed.

Guru Ravidass, the founder, was a key figure in India’s Sufi movement which rebelled against upper caste tyranny. A leather worker, Sant Ravidass was deemed to be an untouchable by the high castes. Though his hymns find a place in the Sikh holy book Guru Granth Sahib, Ravidass himself is the locus of devotion for a large number of the downtrodden and former untouchable castes.

Although it appears prosperous, Punjab has deep caste chasms and class conflicts. The upper caste Jat Sikhs command the bulk of the land resources, and upper caste Hindus run the bulk of business and trade. The Dalits, formerly known as untouchables, have less than five percent of the states resources, said secretary general of the All India Christian Council, John Dayal.

Dalits are often kept out of the management of the Gurdwaras and other places of worship. Lower caste Sikhs have set up their own parallel places of worship in almost every village in Punjab. They have also evolved their own social customs and liturgy, which is an anathema to the upper castes.

Expatriate Sikh populations seem to have carried these divisions to Europe and to North America, as have other Indian groups. In the liberal environment of the West, the Dalits prospered, and their prosperity added to jealousies back in India, said D’Souza.

Dayal said, “It is a tragedy that the Indian government is in denial about the contemporary ramifications of caste on India. Although there are exceptions, the Indian governments resistance and high-octane diplomatic pressures stalled honest discussions on caste discrimination and birth-based inequity in international fora such as the UN Durban conference on racism in 2001 and recent meetings in Geneva.”

D’Souza said, “We call on India to assist in an honest, international discourse on the implications of caste and to help devise systems to root out the 3,000-year-old evil once and for all. The measures contained in the Indian Constitution are laudable, but, for want of other reforms or perhaps political will, they have not delivered full human dignity to the Indian Dalits of any religious faith. The Dalit Christians and Muslims remain the most deprived, shorn even of the token affirmative action programmes of the government.

Courtesy: SAR News

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Contains so many errors.....ususal Media spin and not the whole truth at all.

Latest: At the Bhog of slain Ramanand at Jalndhar dera Ballan..the SGGS was NOT Paraksh...and NO Akhand Paath held. Only the 40 sloks of Bhagat ravidass were read. IF they had DONE THIS earlier...there would be NO problems..the Ramand was BANNED even by the Bhagat ravidass GURDWARAS as he was intent on Sitting Par with SGGS.IF in Vienna he had agreed to NOT do paraksh of SGGS or Refrain from sitting at Par..no such problems would ahve occured...Trouble is they "want" the SGGS present as they have NOTHING of their own...and they NEED to be HIGHER than the SGGS...as Living Gurus !!SIKHS Cannot allow this...Simple solution to a simple problem...eventually Dera Ballan came round to this..after BURNING down jalandhar and causing untold damage...

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
Hmm....There seems to be a big hoo haa about this being so called Upper Castes etc, but this makes no sense.

The assassins of Indira Gandhi, were so called "lower castes" and yet they are held up as an ideal for the Sikh by these so called "Upper castes".

This has less to do with castes but more to do with sectarian beliefs.

Incidentally Gyani ji, does not the Namdhari Sant do this also?

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
The Namdharee "sant" goes even further.....Randip ji..He calls himself SATGURU..and sits at Par with SGGS which they DONT CONSIDER GURU at all. Satguru Jagjit Singh is supposeddly 15th Living Guru after Guru Gobind Singh Ji...thye also have aweird history after 1708.claiming GGS never died at naded in 1708 but escaped off to live for another few decades..giivng gurgadee to a Baba Balak singh..and so on...

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
The Namdharee "sant" goes even further.....Randip ji..He calls himself SATGURU..and sits at Par with SGGS which they DONT CONSIDER GURU at all. Satguru Jagjit Singh is supposeddly 15th Living Guru after Guru Gobind Singh Ji...thye also have aweird history after 1708.claiming GGS never died at naded in 1708 but escaped off to live for another few decades..giivng gurgadee to a Baba Balak singh..and so on...

This is bad.

I remember when I was a child going to someone's house, and the present Namdhari Baba was there. I also remember a bit of a fracas I caused, because I was wandering around the house and came upon a room where a young lady was raiding someones musical collection and taking music cassettes (hindi ones). I had been always taught that stealing was wrong and I started shouting you are stealing, you are stealing. It turned out this young lady (the thief), was the Jagjit Singh (Namdhari Baba's daughter). Make even worse she was stealing so called "Kachee Banee" (whatever that is), music forbidden for Namdhari's. The saddest thing is was no one even batted an eyelid. My family left in disgust and never ever mentioned this Baba again.:eek:

Can you imagine the children of Guru Gobind Singh ji ever stealing?:confused:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Hmm....There seems to be a big hoo haa about this being so called Upper Castes etc, but this makes no sense.

The assassins of Indira Gandhi, were so called "lower castes" and yet they are held up as an ideal for the Sikh by these so called "Upper castes".

This has less to do with castes but more to do with sectarian beliefs.

Incidentally Gyani ji, does not the Namdhari Sant do this also?

Randip ji

I agree completely -- the question is what sects are behind it? Any news yet? Caste just may well be a smokescreeen -- something that was easy to blow all over the situation, cloud perceptions and stir up emotions from past events. That is my opinion anyway and I don't think that the western media has caught up yet. This is one of those 10,000 piece jig saw puzzles that take weeks to complete. So you do them on vacation at the beach and not when you are hard at work doing 12 other things.

But there is a caste connection in the background? Is someone using it as a smokescreen makes it possible to polarize political groups very quickly? Could it be not the pot for stirring but the spoon?

just some thoughts :confused:

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
This is bad.

I remember when I was a child going to someone's house, and the present Namdhari Baba was there. I also remember a bit of a fracas I caused, because I was wandering around the house and came upon a room where a young lady was raiding someones musical collection and taking music cassettes (hindi ones). I had been always taught that stealing was wrong and I started shouting you are stealing, you are stealing. It turned out this young lady (the thief), was the Jagjit Singh (Namdhari Baba's daughter). Make even worse she was stealing so called "Kachee Banee" (whatever that is), music forbidden for Namdhari's. The saddest thing is was no one even batted an eyelid. My family left in disgust and never ever mentioned this Baba again.:eek:

Can you imagine the children of Guru Gobind Singh ji ever stealing?:confused:

Randip Singh Ji,
You just CONFIRMED what i have always thought about these THUGGHS.No other comment necessary. ALL of them..who award self titles..sants, mahapurash,babaji,brahmgyainis,satgurus, there is even a BHAGAT so and so in Toronto area...are THUGGHS pure and simple. Sikhs have ONLY ONE GURU-SGGS, ONE SANT-SGGS......One Bhagat -SGGS. PERIOD.

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
Randip Singh Ji,
You just CONFIRMED what i have always thought about these THUGGHS.No other comment necessary. ALL of them..who award self titles..sants, mahapurash,babaji,brahmgyainis,satgurus, there is even a BHAGAT so and so in Toronto area...are THUGGHS pure and simple. Sikhs have ONLY ONE GURU-SGGS, ONE SANT-SGGS......One Bhagat -SGGS. PERIOD.

I think initially, the Namdhari's had noble intentions, but they rapidly turned into a Dynastic Cult. Really sad.:unsure:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM