• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Why No Meat Served In Gurdwara

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
100% agreed. this is the explanation i have always heard. langar is for EVERYONE. if meat is served we're automatically limiting the groups of people who can eat with us. therefore it's more fair to serve only food that everyone can eat.

Kelly just a question to you if you don't mind .are you a vegetarian as santokh singh ji mentioned that gore(white) sikhs are vegetarian.

Apr 4, 2007
Why are 3HO and Gora Sikhs vegetarians ?
Why are Nirmala Sikhs vegetarians ?
Why are Namdharis vegetarians ?
Why are Radha Soamis vegetarians ?
Why are AKJ's vegetarians ?
Why are Sufis vegetarians ?

3HO is a yoga cult, they are vegetarian for their yoga practice. please don't lump all white sikhs in with 3HO, many of us are just normal sikhs and some even eat meat.

nirmalas are hindus with turbans (sorry if anyone finds this offensive, but sanatan sikhs follow a lot of hindu traditions, including vegetarianism)

namdhari are a cult

radha soami are a cult

AKJ i have a lot of respect for, if they don't want to eat meat that's fine. i've never met any AKJ sikh who tried to make non-veg sikhs eat only veg.

i was unaware that sufis do not eat meat, can you show some proof of this?

thanks!

Apr 4, 2007
Kelly just a question to you if you don't mind .are you a vegetarian as santokh singh ji mentioned that gore(white) sikhs are vegetarian.

i was a vegetarian before i was a sikh. i did not change my eating habits after adopting sikhism. however, i do not believe whether we eat meat or not has anything to do with religion. it's purely personal choice.

my panj piyare told me that we are allowed to eat meat as long as it is not killed in the muslim fashion (halal).

gurfateh!

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
AKJ i have a lot of respect for, if they don't want to eat meat that's fine. i've never met any AKJ sikh who tried to make non-veg sikhs eat only veg.

AKJ's are hardcore vegetarians .In no way they accept people who eat meat as sikhs.if you visit their forum Tapoban.org you will find that they don't accept meat eating people as sikhs.I treid to debate with them on many forums with them but its useless they are very orthodox on this issue

Apr 4, 2007
AKJ's are hardcore vegetarians .In no way they accept people who eat meat as sikhs.if you visit their forum Tapoban.org you will find that they don't accept meat eating people as sikhs.I treid to debate with them on many forums with them but its useless they are very orthodox on this issue

that's possible... i've noticed that people are generally friendlier in person than online, so maybe that explains the difference in attitude. :)

drkhalsa

SPNer
Sep 16, 2004
nirmalas are hindus with turbans (sorry if anyone finds this offensive, but sanatan sikhs follow a lot of hindu traditions, including vegetarianism)
I hope you have met one before making this opinion

I got chance to meet Nirmala sant at there place in Haridwar . It was amazing experience , Yes they study Lot of Hindu literature bit the purpose is altogether different

They keep unshorn hairs , have Parkash of Guru Granth Sahib just in same marayada with Nitem banis done regularly

i was just sharing what I know about them

Jatinder Singh

Apr 4, 2007

I got chance to meet Nirmala sant at there place in Haridwar . It was amazing experience , Yes they study Lot of Hindu literature bit the purpose is altogether different

They keep unshorn hairs , have Parkash of Guru Granth Sahib just in same marayada with Nitem banis done regularly

Jatinder Singh

thanks Jatinder ji... i should probably not make statements like that.. :) i'm basing my opinion on online experiences, maybe not the best idea.

Izhaarbir

SPNer
Jun 22, 2006
Would just like to say that I am surprised that there is a forum that exists out there where Sikhs don't butcher each other over this meat issue. An encouraging experience to see that.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA

Jatinder Singh

I don't think that meeting one person is a good idea to make an opinion.For example
if 18 out of 25 nirmala dera's are pro hindu and 7 are in sikhi and a person visit a dera which is
is in sikhi then he will make an opinion that Nirmala's are in sikhi but that is not going to change the truth that majority are pro hindu.

Oh btw the above is just an example I don't know whether Nirmala's are sikhi or in hinduism

drkhalsa

SPNer
Sep 16, 2004
I don't think that meeting one person is a good idea to make an opinion.For example
if 18 out of 25 nirmala dera's are pro hindu and 7 are in sikhi and a person visit a dera which is
is in sikhi then he will make an opinion that Nirmala's are in sikhi but that is not going to change the truth that majority are pro hindu.

Oh btw the above is just an example I don't know whether Nirmala's are sikhi or in hinduism

What you say is not worng but this is the way things have to be done ( limitation)

In any study a sample size can only be checked and studied

If I apply your example to sikh gurdwara then I may not have visited more than Hundered in In my life and there are thousands of them or may be more of them so I cant conclude anything

The point is I was refering the the basic philosophy Nirmalas are based and meeting common nirmala and Head of Dear or Nirmala Sany is totally different
On similar lines while visiting any gurdawar we just assume many tings baised on the philosophy the sikh base their action and If I jsut interepre t based on what we do in Gurdwaras it would just appear to be quite an Odd place

About Nirmalas I just know that they are good preacher of sikhism and their might be deficiencies in their practicle aspect but theor Philosophy is very Sikh

Jatinder Singh

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
What you say is not worng but this is the way things have to be done ( limitation)

In any study a sample size can only be checked and studied

If I apply your example to sikh gurdwara then I may not have visited more than Hundered in In my life and there are thousands of them or may be more of them so I cant conclude anything

The point is I was refering the the basic philosophy Nirmalas are based and meeting common nirmala and Head of Dear or Nirmala Sany is totally different
On similar lines while visiting any gurdawar we just assume many tings baised on the philosophy the sikh base their action and If I jsut interepre t based on what we do in Gurdwaras it would just appear to be quite an Odd place

About Nirmalas I just know that they are good preacher of sikhism and their might be deficiencies in their practicle aspect but theor Philosophy is very Sikh

Jatinder Singh

You are not wrong here about basic philosophy.But in my opinion one could get much better idea about basic philosophy from good reading material.

Izhaarbir

SPNer
Jun 22, 2006
Good reading material:

SGGS Panna 728:

ham nehee cha(n)gae buraa nehee koe ||
I am not good; no one is bad.

If this is the Sikhi motto to life, why is there debate going on whether a certain people are good or bad, or whether their case studies proves them to be this way or that way?

If I am not good, and no one is bad, shouldn't I be seeing whats going on with me that I am not good, rather than studying other people so much?

bhul chuk maaf

Fateh!

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM