• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Why Is Our Sikh Community So "Square" ?

May 16, 2005
Vernon, BC Canada
Why is our sikh community so "Square" ?
By Lionchild

How many times have you come accross members of your sangat that amaze you with thier complete lack and understanding of others as well as even the basic understanding of sikhi?

It's actually quite comman, it appears that over the last 300 years, the global sangat has become extremely polarized to one culture and language. As well, it has become clear that the term "Global" is not relavant anymore, since we don't have a global appeal or following.

Because of this, and a few factors, our sikhi community has become very "Square" and tend to not associate with other communities. The end results is that we get dumped on and we open ourselves up to even more problems.

So how can "think outside the box"? well it's simple yet very hard:
-Start to actually spread sikhi to other cultures and communities
-Get ourselves notice by displaying our true sikhi image
-This means not just appearnce, but more important, acting like a sikh.
-Start to make resources available for the public
-Translations of the SGGS into other languages
-JUST ACCEPT OTHER PEOPLES WAYS OF DOING THINGS

Because we havn't made an effort in the past to spread sikhi, this means we have to start from scratch to build a demand and resources available to the public.

Sikhi community has way more potential than what is being used today, let us spread sikhi to the world!

-LC<br /><br />
----------------------------------------<br />

Gurcharan

SPNer
Jul 8, 2006
Why is our sikh community so "Square" ?
By Lionchild

How many times have you come accross members of your sangat that amaze you with thier complete lack and understanding of others as well as even the basic understanding of sikhi?

It's actually quite comman, it appears that over the last 300 years, the global sangat has become extremely polarized to one culture and language. As well, it has become clear that the term "Global" is not relavant anymore, since we don't have a global appeal or following.

Because of this, and a few factors, our sikhi community has become very "Square" and tend to not associate with other communities. The end results is that we get dumped on and we open ourselves up to even more problems.

So how can "think outside the box"? well it's simple yet very hard:
-Start to actually spread sikhi to other cultures and communities
-Get ourselves notice by displaying our true sikhi image
-This means not just appearnce, but more important, acting like a sikh.
-Start to make resources available for the public
-Translations of the SGGS into other languages
-JUST ACCEPT OTHER PEOPLES WAYS OF DOING THINGS

Because we havn't made an effort in the past to spread sikhi, this means we have to start from scratch to build a demand and resources available to the public.

Sikhi community has way more potential than what is being used today, let us spread sikhi to the world!

-LC<br /><br />

Sat Shri Akal Lionchild,

You are right to a certain extent. From what I understand, Sikhi is supposed to be all rounded and not square as it has seem to become. I agree with you that we require more positive exposure. Half our lives we spend on in rivalry, questing for power and what not, that understanding Sikhi has become secondary to some.Sikhs are a very versatile people, able to mix and blend and adapt to new society and changes, wherever we go in this world. This is a form of globalization. The sad fact is, we sometimes do not show the same zeal and zest when it comes to Sikhiand adopting Sikhi values. Most of the time, sikhs and Sikhi become known only through negative exposure. It is no secret that negative exposure leaves a deeper imprint in the mind than does positive events. Our society, our leaders, the individual must become proactive, to promote Sikhi positively.

God Bless.

max314

SPNer
May 28, 2006
Didn't you know? According to Huey Lewis, it's hip to be square :rolleyes:

I know what you're saying, though. How can such visionary patrons be succeeded by such an uninspired community that is positively fearful of free thought.

I once had a mate who sported bana asking me "is it okay for me to put a little gel to set my beard, or is that evil pap"? :}{}{}:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM