Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

Why do we do stupid things?

Discussion in 'Sikh Sikhi Sikhism' started by Charan, Nov 4, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Charan

Charan
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

If everything happens according to His will, then why does He let us do stupid things? Is our mind controlled by Him? If not, then what exactly is it that he controls? I don't get it :confused:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Loading...

3. findingmyway

findingmyway
    Expand Collapse
    Writer SPNer Contributor Supporter

We are not puppets being controlled by a puppet master or being dictated to. All the stupid things are our own actions. We have free will, we have choices. Hukam is not control exactly but the laws that govern the world and everything.
    Jasleen

• Like Like x 1
  4. findingmyway

findingmyway
    Expand Collapse
    Writer SPNer Contributor Supporter

just found this quote in another thread that i really liked. i hope lee ji doesn't mind me using it here:

• Like Like x 6
  5. Ishna

Ishna
    Expand Collapse
    On hiatus
    Writer SPNer Contributor

Wow, I've never read it put like that before. Thank you findingmyway!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Charan

Charan
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

That's what I have always thought, but since I did not fully understand what was meant by Hukam/God's Will in Gurbani, I couldn't make it cohere with my belief. Very nicely put by Lee ji... Thank you! :cool:

• Like Like x 2
  7. sunmukh

sunmukh
    Expand Collapse
    (Previously Himmat Singh)
    SPNer

Ek OnKaar Sat Naam

Lee ji has put across the idea of giving one's head to God very well, and following God's will. Anybody doing this should not lose his/her way. It is difficult to do though, as worldly attachments are so strong for most people.

I would like add a little more from japji Sahib:

God has established the earth for dharam. This implies good deeds and self-disciipline.

Even though the environment is in place to practice dharma, it does not imply everybody will do that.
    If everyone did, then there would be no point ever worrying about any religion, or any deed, as we could then rely upon God to take care of all misdismeanours.We have to use our will, to do good deeds and to remember God as far as is possible. When 5 evils enter the scene, soon after birth, the battlefield changes, and we do "stupid" things whilst detracted from the main object, which is devotion to God.

Sat Sri Akal

Please forgive me for the wayward formatting; I haven't worked out the editiing features yet.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Sinister

Sinister
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer Supporter

maybe "He" is also stupid, just like us? :motherlylove: