• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Why Do Bad Things Happen To Good People?

Archived_Member_19

(previously amarsanghera, account deactivated at t
SPNer
Jun 7, 2006
Jaysangh ji

i doubt if anyone can answer the questions for you. :)

all that is possible is speculation and vichaar.

you can read about Sidh Gosht here Sidh Gosht

I found it interesting.

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
The short answer to this is...

Forget it! There are no short, easy answers that truly satisfy. The answers are long and difficult and, I'm afraid, painful.

A dear friend of mine was a devout, observant Sikh - until his 5 year old brother was killed in a car accident. This precipitated a crisis of faith that continues on until today.

I can hear in my mind, "Mai, he was so sweet and innocent and pure and good. Was it because we cut his hair?"

"No, dear, the hair had nothing to do with it. Akaal Purakh doesn't kill innocent little boys - or guilty big boys - for getting a haircut. My dear, dear friend, sometimes shite (an Australian form) just happens and needs to be accepted."

"Well, I DON'T ACCEPT IT!!"

Stalemate.

Lee

SPNer
May 17, 2005
London, UK
Good and bad, are relative and who knows what may happen in the future?

My relationship with the woman I loved ended badly I was upset for years. Yet without that happening in my life I would not be with my wife, and we would not have the two excelent children we now have.

Who knows the plans of God? Not I. I agree with Mai ji, Accept. Heh or do not, it really is your choice.

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
Actually I have just written a short novel that attempts to answer this question from a Sikh perspective. It is a sort of fantasy very loosely based on my own life and quite easy reading.
3866561408_429b89d75d_m.jpg

Rather than rewriting it all here, feel free to go take a look. It's called The Brave Little Fish. Introduction (BLF)

Last edited:

ballym

SPNer
May 19, 2006
"Bad" experience brings corrective action. Later life actions depend on that experience, so that " bad" experience becomes a learning point.
If poor child dies, some one learns not to produce more children, or delay children.
Do not pity.
You can increase the effect of learning by spreading a good message out of such " bad" experiences.
That is sewa.

Oct 21, 2009
India
It is in response to the Very First Post
source:Guru Nanak and two students - SikhiWiki, free Sikh encyclopedia.

Guru Nanak and two students

Two friends heard that Guru Nanak was giving a series of lectures and decided to attend. The first soon became a devoted student. He attended every lecture and tried to put what he learned to use in his daily life.

The other came, but only out of curiosity. He soon became attracted to a woman who entertained men for a living. He would leave home every evening with his friend, telling every one he was going to listen to Guru Nanak. But when he was out of sight he would turn off and go to be with this woman.

One day while they were leaving, this second man found a gold mohur in the path. He joyfully picked it up and hurried away to enjoy it with his lady friend.

The first man continued on, only to hurt himself on a thorn. When he had recovered sufficiently, he went to Guru Nanak and complained. "How is it that a man who spends his evenings with such a woman finds a gold coin, and a man who tries his best to live the right life is badly injured?"

Guru Nanak answered, "What comes to each man, good or bad, is due to his own actions. When the two of you first came, each of you had a result coming due. You were due to pay a debt by dying, impaled on a great stake. Your friend was due to receive a gift, to find a pot of golden mohurs. By the grace of the True Guru as much of your debt as possible was paid. You were able to pay off the balance with a small injury. By the grace of a dancing girl most of your friend's gift was squandered. He was paid off with only one coin."

Another version - Source:Why Good Things Happen to Bad People : Changing Destiny

Why Good Things Happen to Bad People

Once there were two friends, one was a Gurmukh and the other a Manmukh. Their friendship was deep but Gurmukh believed in God while Manmukh did not. Gurmukh would wake up early in the morning, take a bath and recite the holy hymns while Manmukh would still be in bed sound asleep.

Once they were going on a journey through he forest. As they were passing through the forest Manmukh found a bag of coal. He was very happy because he could sell it and make some money. As they further walked while talking about how lucky Manmukh was to find the bag of coal, Gurmukh screamed with pain. It appeared that a splinter went in Gurmukh’s leg. While Gurmukh was in pain, Manmukh started laughing. Gurmukh was surprise and asked him that why was he laughing. Manmukh said, “You have been worshipping God everyday and what you got is a splinter in your leg. I have never worshipped God and I still got a bag full of coal from which I can make money.”

An old wise man happened to me passing them when he heard Manmukh’s comments. The old man had a big ironic smile on his face. Manmukh was astonished when he saw the old man smile. Manmukh asked the old man to what was he smiling? The old man replied, “You are naïve. You do not worship God. You were destined to find a bag of diamonds today if you have been worshipping God. And Gurmukh, you were destigned to die at the moment you got the splinter in your leg. Because you have been worshipping God, the pain of death simply turned into a splinter.”

EXplaining Good or Bad as per Karmic theory

Another way of expressing the above concept is through the theory of karama i.e we have to face the consequences of that we have done in our earlier lives while we are undergoing the cycle of incarnations. It may not be exactly as per sikhi. But would be helpful in understanding. Karmas can be divided into three categories;

1.The accumulated karmas over the past lives [Sanchit Karmas]
2. The present karams that we are undertaking in this life.
3. The past-Karmas which shall fructify in the present life and we shall have to bear the consequences, whether good or bad as per the terminology employed in the thread.[Prarabdh]

The karams at Sl.3 are already destined to be and we have just to take the fruits of these karmas.Those Karmas may result into either good or bad irrespective of our current/Present Karmas.The karmas shall fructify in the present life irrespective of the fact whether the person is good or bad or the outcome of the karmas is Good or bad.The following Matrix can be thought of a a result of the karmas

Present Karmas....................... Effect of Past Karmas

Good......................................... Good or bad as per the fruits
Bad .......................................... Good or bad as per the fruits

Thus irrespective of our present karmas we have to receive the fruits of the past karmas that may be good or bad as depicted in the table above.

One may have to seek the guidance from Granth sahib ji for further investigation.

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
It is in response to the Very
EXplaining Good or Bad as per Karmic theory

Another way of expressing the above concept is through the theory of karama i.e we have to face the consequences of that we have done in our earlier lives while we are undergoing the cycle of incarnations. It may not be exactly as per sikhi. But would be helpful in understanding. Karmas can be divided into three categories;

1.The accumulated karmas over the past lives [Sanchit Karmas]
2. The present karams that we are undertaking in this life.
3. The past-Karmas which shall fructify in the present life and we shall have to bear the consequences, whether good or bad as per the terminology employed in the thread.[Prarabdh]

The karams at Sl.3 are already destined to be and we have just to take the fruits of these karmas.Those Karmas may result into either good or bad irrespective of our current/Present Karmas.The karmas shall fructify in the present life irrespective of the fact whether the person is good or bad or the outcome of the karmas is Good or bad.The following Matrix can be thought of a a result of the karmas

Present Karmas....................... Effect of Past Karmas

Good......................................... Good or bad as per the fruits
Bad .......................................... Good or bad as per the fruits

Thus irrespective of our present karmas we have to receive the fruits of the past karmas that may be good or bad as depicted in the table above.

The karmas can be written off only if He casts His Grace if we are devoted to the Lord and seek His sanctuary i.e we act as per bani and as per the directions provided by our Guru -Guru Granth sahib ji.

Which is why I can now accept the shaheedi of my husband and son (now, I admit it took some time) as a blessing to them and remain in chardi kala.

Which is why I can view this debilitating stroke as a blessing and remain in chardi kala.

Which is why I can accept a husband bent on self-destruction with some equanimity and remain in chardi kala.

Of course there is also the acceptance that all that occurs is the Hukam of Vaheguru that helps me remain in chardi kala.

That should answer all the Sikhs who ask me, "How do you do it?" I still don't have an answer that will satisfy the Abrahamic (Jewish, Christian, Muslim stuff); I guess they'll just have to be baffled!

:happykudi:

Bmandur

SPNer
May 15, 2008
Canada
Simply put, my question is, "Why do bad things happen to good people". This question may seem very stupid and basic but allow me to flesh out some details. [/FONT]
What is a good person? What is good and what is bad? What is the good life? These are all deep questions. I would THINK that Sikhs would reply saying that a good person is a person that lives his/her life while keeping the panch chor in balance as much as possible (I am not saying avoid the panch chor because avoiding 1 of the 5 can often result in practicing one of the other 5). [/FONT]
What else would “being good” mean in terms of the Sikh faith. Can a Sikh be good if he keeps the panch chor in balance but DOESN’T[/FONT]
1.[/FONT]Go to the Gurdwara[/FONT]
2.[/FONT]Learn about the Guru’s and what they have done[/FONT]
3.[/FONT]Celebrate Sikh holidays[/FONT]
4.[/FONT]Follow the 5 K’s[/FONT]
Or is it not possible to keep the panch chor in balance if you are doing any one of the above listed items? [/FONT]
Having discussed the above let me go to the root of my question. Why do bad things happen to good people? Surely, there must be some, innocent, Sikh children in India who have are dying of health complications that aren’t their fault. A health condition they were born into. [/FONT]
In many other religions I understand that it is said that if you are a good person that good things will come your way. Does Sikhism say anything like that (does The Guru Granth Sahib say anything like this). If so, why do such bad things like the situation I described happen?[/FONT]

<TABLE style="MARGIN-LEFT: 50px" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>soriT mhlw 5 ]
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>sorat(h) mehalaa 5 ||
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>
</TD></TR><TR><TD height=10 vAlign=top align=middle>
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>hm mYly qum aUjl krqy hm inrgun qU dwqw ]
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>ham mailae thum oojal karathae ham niragun thoo dhaathaa ||
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>We are filthy, and You are immaculate, O Creator Lord; we are worthless, and You are the Great Giver.
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>hm mUrK qum cqur isAwxy qU srb klw kw igAwqw ]1]
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>ham moorakh thum chathur siaanae thoo sarab kalaa kaa giaathaa ||1||
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>We are fools, and You are wise and all-knowing. You are the knower of all things. ||1||
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>mwDo hm AYsy qU AYsw ]
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>maadhho ham aisae thoo aisaa ||
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>O Lord, this is what we are, and this is what You are.
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>hm pwpI qum pwp KMfn nIko Twkur dysw ] rhwau ]
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>ham paapee thum paap kha(n)ddan neeko t(h)aakur dhaesaa || rehaao ||
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>We are sinners, and You are the Destroyer of sins. Your abode is so beautiful, O Lord and Master. ||Pause||
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>qum sB swjy swij invwjy jIau ipMfu dy pRwnw ]
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>thum sabh saajae saaj nivaajae jeeo pi(n)dd dhae praanaa ||
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>You fashion all, and having fashioned them, You bless them. You bestow upon them soul, body and the breath of life.
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>inrgunIAwry gunu nhI koeI qum dwnu dyhu imhrvwnw ]2]
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>niraguneeaarae gun nehee koee thum dhaan dhaehu miharavaanaa ||2||
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>We are worthless - we have no virtue at all; please, bless us with Your gift, O Merciful Lordand Master. ||2||
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>qum krhu Blw hm Blo n jwnh qum sdw sdw dieAwlw ]
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>thum karahu bhalaa ham bhalo n jaaneh thum sadhaa sadhaa dhaeiaalaa ||
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>You do good for us, but we do not see it as good; You are kind and compassionate, forever and ever.
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>qum suKdweI purK ibDwqy qum rwKhu Apuny bwlw ]3]
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>thum sukhadhaaee purakh bidhhaathae thum raakhahu apunae baalaa ||3||
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>You are the Giver of peace, the Primal Lord, the Architect of Destiny; please, save us, Your children! ||3||
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>qum inDwn Atl suilqwn jIA jMq siB jwcY ]
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>thum nidhhaan attal sulithaan jeea ja(n)th sabh jaachai ||
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>You are the treasure, eternal Lord King; all beings and creatures beg of You.
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>khu nwnk hm iehY hvwlw rwKu sMqn kY pwCY ]4]6]17]
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>kahu naanak ham eihai havaalaa raakh sa(n)than kai paashhai ||4||6||17||
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>Says Nanak, such is our condition; please, Lord, keep us on the Path of the Saints.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

kuldeepsb5

SPNer
Mar 9, 2010
Why do we we think so.
GURBANI tells us :-
"Bura nahi sabh bhala hi hai re, har nahi sabh jaite."
and
"Dukh sukh dono samm kar janai nahi maan apmaana."

More over whatever happens in this world with us, is always within and with the order of almighty Akaal Purakh JI or WAHEGURU ji.And why do we not think Tough questions are always given to the toppers in the class by a teacher and easy questions are always
given to the poor students and it never means that teacher is doing injustice with toppers but we should understand that the teacher has to ask for all the questions but he also knows that he has to pass maximum no. of students and for this reason he asks easy questions to poor ones so that they can go through with at least passing marks whereas the genius students always are able to solve the tough questions as easily as they can solve the easy questions(Dukh Sukh dono samm kar jane).
I think the question asked in the thread is almost answered.
Beg your pardon for any thing described wrong or against the teachings of GURBANI.
Waheguru ji ka Khalsa Waheguru ji ki Fateh

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM