• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

DONNA

SPNer
Jul 24, 2008
UK
I'm surprised to read such negative comments. President Obama made a great speech and he exuded intelligence and integrity-a quality much lacking today, especially amongst world leaders. So he didn't mention Sikhism-he didn't mention other religions either. He cant cover everything in his inaugural speech. Why get hung up on something he didn't mention ? He may well implement some great policies which may help towards greater peace in the world and a better environment. His omission of Sikhism in his speech does not reflect what he thinks about Sikhism-he strikes me as very multicultural and aware. I wish him lots of luck, he has worked very hard to get where he is and certainly deserves it.

Waheguru ji ka khalsa
Waheguru ji ki fateh

Apr 2, 2006
Can it be that it just sliped his mind, and if it was so, who is control anyways, how wrote and direct this drama called life, and if the people who are so desperate in finding out why the did not mention Sikhs, why dont you send Mr Obama a letter or email asking him why? I believe it will be the most simple thing to do. As for my self I dont need recognition from no country, no president, no high figure to know that Im Sikh of Waheguru and in the end what can any human really do for us, tell me Who has and always taken care of us and all of our needs? who else than Waheguru. The problem is that we as Sikhs dont realise who we are, and how fortunate we are to be Sikhs, if we did as I mention before we would give the importance and full autorithy to the only authority that realy matters to a Sikh, our True Guru, Guru Grant Sahib Ji, I know Sikhs most behave and give respect and be thankfull that other countries has taken us in, and let us have our true religion but that dont mean that Sikhs outside from Punjab most kiss *** and act as if we owe something them, we certainly dont, all credits all praises all kiss *** should be offered to our True Guru in the love of our Waheguru, this world and no countries belong to no man, its all temporal illusion, it all belongs to Waheguru, so please lets share truth, lets share light, lets help each other apreciate and love Waheguru and give Guruji the respect and thanks the He deserves.

lotus lion

SPNer
Jan 2, 2008
Hi,

I would have to agree with Brothers such as Star Force.

On the surface, yes i too would agree that arguing about this could be deemed petty, but when we scratch beneath it, one cannot deny that this is merely the result of The Sikhs not caring, respecting and internalising The Dharma.

I sometimes feel that we pay The Dharma mere lip-service, if that, but then for some reason expect everyone to know us and give us recognition and when it does not happen, we have a shocked/blank look on our face.
It is almost as if we as a whole suffer from dillusions of grandeur from 300 Years ago.

Ask almost any person about Islam and they can tell you the name of their place of worship, 'The name' of their God, and the name of thier Prophet Plus a basic understanding of their religion.
I sincerely doubt that they could do the same for The Sikhs.

From my perspective our values as a whole are becoming secular, (No spiritual Base) and are what the rest of the World dicatate to us, so we are but another face in the crowd.

I do not know what else we as Sikhs are expecting in all honesty.

You shall harvest what you plant.

Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ang 4

Could be deemed that it has been taken out of context, but i feel it illustrates how i feel about the issue.

Had we made ourselves known in a constructive and organised manner to the wider population, influenced society to move in the right direction and contributed beyond the mere financial, I do not see why we would have been left of the speech.

Please note i am not crying out for attention, though it may seem like it.
To me it is an indicator that we are not being recognised because we are not practicing or propogating the Dharma the way it should be and that is a cause for concern.

Please also note i am not having a gripe about President Obama not speaking of The Sikhs either. I sincerely wish him every success in his presidency irrespective of speaking about us, But this act implies to some degree that we are hardly on the radar of awarness fo the billions of people out there, which can not be a good for anyone.

As a whole we need to get our act together.

In the UK there is the Sikh Course which is explaining the Dharma to the Sikhs to begin with and hopefully to others further down the line.

Bit of a rant for myself i must admit, and bordering on the Non-positive which is never my intention, but at the end i hope something positive comes out of it.

My best regards,

Lotus

Jan 24, 2009
Wahe guru ji ka khalsa,
First thing it seems our sikh brethren ,in spite of being his great supporters have not been able to assert themselves, may be because of their miniscule minority.
Secondly sikhs, in general, are very libera land simpleton and become pleased very easily even on personal pleasantries and small consideration.
Last, because Hindu leaders generaly, inspite of our protests, repeatedly term us part of Hinduism.
Sikhs MUST ASSERT THEMSELVES AS A SEPERATE RELIGEON IN EVERY SPHERE (including the PAPER WORK IN FOREIGN COUNTRIES.)

Apr 2, 2006
minuscule minority? and in other post i read minority, small group, that is the problem, if we keep viewing ourselves as small, or less, cause in my opinion we are not, maybe you mean that your mentality and your love for Waheguru is minuscule or small, but who on earth can determine majority or minority?
And we cant compare the affair relating to Waheguru and our True Guru with the affairs of this material world, start thinking spiritual, start meditating Sat Nam Waheguru and hopefully you will realize that Sikhs are not small or minority, lets get for real please.

Jaspreet08

SPNer
Feb 1, 2008
I think of the Amish who renounce military force and have relinquished their right to vote in exchange for the requirement to serve in the US military. Quakers are another of the passive groups allowed the same right but who can vote as well.
I didn't know that. Interesting.

Jul 8, 2007
Calgary
Maybe everyone is making a bigger deal out of this than necessary. I mean Obama didn't mean to leave the Sikhs, Buddhists, and other religions like that out. It's just that there are so many religions out there that there would be no point in saying them ALL. So he proably just used the religions which the MAJORITY of people followed. I mean you have to admit Sikhism has way less followers than Christianity, Judiasm, Hinduism and there are ever more atheists than there are Sikhs. I know he didn't forget about us though and does not plan to leave us out.

KAUR13

SPNer
May 26, 2008
umm thanx to the indian government SIKHISM is not considered a religion ON ITS OWN so i dont see y he would mention us... we're considered the sect of HINDUISM and he sed HINDUISM so according to all the official **** that shud be fine
buht of course its not ... we are separate from hindus .... plus we havnt been able to tell the world yet... the difference between sikh and a hindu and the difference between a sikh and a muslim... its not their fault... its our own fault

jonathan

SPNer
Nov 23, 2008
would you please explain to me how if President Obama the all merciful messiah thinks that Sikhism is a sect of Hinduism,what books has he been reading or who has he been getting his information from. I do not consider Sikhism to be a sect of Hinduism which last time I checked was a polytheistic religion that is considered paganism by the Muslims and the Christians. I believe Sikhism is a blended religion of Sufism and Judaism.
correct me if I am mistaken for I am just a student who is fresh on this path to the State of Waheguru.

JimRinX

SPNer
Aug 13, 2008
Portland, Oregon, U.S.A.
It's good to see the defense that many of you have put up for Barack Obama; as he really is the most open minded, multi-culturally aware, and well traveled President that the United States has ever had; with the possible exception of - guess who - Thomas Jefferson (though one should not discount Benjamin Franklin, either; read His many writings, you'll get a lot out of it!), so those comments were very pleasing to reads, too!:)
Also, as you pointed out, he didn't mention Buddhism - even though the Dalai Lama was awarded the Freedom Medal two years ago!
Calm Down, my good Jis - it was just a speach; and those not only have to have a nice 'flow' to them, they also need to be as concise - as in as short - as possible, or people will begin to yawn and turn away.
If that happens, then it won't matter what he says - or how many people,religions, or whatever Barack mentions - as no one will be haering him any more.
Please! This man will be 'getting it' on all fronts - and especially from those who would want the name of Jesus in the Constitution; the least that we - the minority religion practitioners - can do, is to lay off this kind of stuff; he doesn't need any more of that kind of negativity!:yes:

ssingh

SPNer
Oct 8, 2007
Gur Fathe Syber Sangat. As far as I see a "SINGH" does not care about mention non mention or praise from a politician. I am sorry to hurt the feelings of the patriotic Americans. A "SINGH" has only one president and that is who you all know; what all other presidents say it does not matter. The 10th Jama had made all this clear and he has promised you and if you do that you do not have to bow down to others all will look up to you. The idea of not hurting others feelings is what keeps you from breaking the normal civic laws of any Government, but if the SINGHS attach or take pride in being a part of those Governments, sorry than you will have to be punished as SINGHS for the deeds of those Governments. The Sikh state was not formed by the Guru as with the character layed down by the Guru for the SINGH would not need a seperate state that was proven by the last living Jama in his life time. I hope I have been able to convey what I feel and if I have hurt any body's feelings beg your forgiveness. In light of what I have said may be my more learned brothers would be able discuss it in that light better.
WGJDK-WGJDF

Respected Sirs,
The main reason, as I think, why Obama did not mention Sikhs separately in his address because our own Indian Govt. does not recognize Sikhism as separate full fledged religion and we are always clubbed together with Hindus like Jain, Budh etc. Let Indian Govt. first recognize Sikhism as separate full fledged Religion in the Constitution.

Respectfully,
Harbhajan Singh Seth

phagwara

SPNer
Oct 2, 2008
Khalsa Ji,
Waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh,
Yes it is true that Obama is not likes the sikhs and it is also possible that he is thinking that sikh is not a religion, but hindus. But very sad news for al guru nanak nam leva sikh sangat in the crucial period.

Sep 8, 2006
obama did't mention sikhs in inaugural address bacause we have so many jesus who suffrered their life for us like bhai mani singh, bhai diala ji, 4 sahibjade, guru gobinad singh ji whole family............but we did't any sikhism awareness in people around the world including america...although christians have just one jesus and they explore him all over the world. more over even we ourseves can't stick to our religion (nobody is having 5 k's n doing nitnem) so how we can blame muslims doing namaaj even on jobs. we are bad including me or obama or anybody else.

surajcap

SPNer
Dec 6, 2008
Hindus and Sikhs are one (not in religious sense but culture and nationality) and will remain united for eternity.

Just as Sikh Gurus saved the lives of and fought for rights of Hindus against Muslim Mughals the Indian Hindus also returned the favour by settling Sikh refugees from Pakistan after 1947 Independence when they were being butchered by Pakistani Muslims in central Punjab - the homeland of Sikhs, now in eastern Pakistan.

RSS and Hindu Nationalists helped much in Sikh rehabilitation in Indian Punjab which was then 2/3 Hindu majority and also due to severing of Himachal Pradesh and Haryana from it Indian Punjab is now Sikh majority due this voluntary grant by Hindus and re-merger with HP & Haryana as the original Indian Punjab will make Sikhs again 1/3 minority. So question of Khalistan in India don't arise as also in truncated Indian Sikh majority Punjab as gifted by Hindu majority India, still 40% are Hindus and their security and rights will be always safeguarded by 90 crore Hindus of the globe! During 1984 anti-Sikh riots in India by Congress again the RSS saved many a Sardars!

But, unfortunately many Sikhs are angry and scared of RSS as they say Sikhs are Hindus!

The reality is Hindu Nationalists call all Indians as Hindus (not by religion but cultural nationality alone) due to thousands of years of same culture which continued even after Sikhism after it started 500 years before. They also call Indian Muslims and Christians as Hindus by Christi Hindus and Muhammadi Hindus per nationality.

Now if Sikhs despise this they can use the term Indian for Hindus to differentiate from Hindus (by religion actually called Sanatan Dharmis).

There would have been no problem for Sikhs and neither they would get annihilated if they believed them as a sect of Hindus like Jains (still very strong) and some current Sikh sects as there is nothing in Sikhism which is against Vedas rather Ek Omkar is dereived from Ekam Sadbiprah Bahuda Vadanti and Hinduism allows total freedom of faith!

As for casteism and such social evils, all Indian religions and not just Hinduism have them so Dalit Sikhs are moving away from Jat Sikhs and joining such non-Sikh, non-Hindu organisations like Dera Saccha Sauda of a fraud Baba!

Still Sikhs have the right to be seperate religiously but even then they can't seperate from Indian Nation which they and Hindus jointly formed from Vedic times as Indian nation was born then in Punjab first at the hands of their same ancestors! Now Hindu Nationalists call this Indian Nation as Hindu Nation (not religiously but by cultural nationalism) as we really are or else there is no difference with Paksitan or Afghanistan where Sikhs are even now tortured - IRIN Asia | Asia | Afghanistan | AFGHANISTAN: Focus on Hindus and Sikhs in Kandahar | Conflict | Feature

Till 1947 it was the practise of many Punjabi Hindu families to send their eldest and ablest sons to be Sikhs and likewise many Sikhs even now worship Mata Vaishno Devi and Lord Amarnath in the belief that Sikhs are part of Hinduism.

Akalis the true Sikhs resent these but then these so called Sikhs worshipping Hindu deities or Punjabi and Sindhi Hindus worshipping and adoring Guru Granth Sahib and photos of Sikh Gurus are syncretists and neither Sikhs nor Hindus should discourage their freedom of be afraid of them as per laws of religious liberty taught by Sikh Gurus.

Hence, if Sikhs still want "Khalistan" it must be created in Pakistan (eastern part) as it was the homeland of Sikhs with all major Gurudwaras except few like in Bihar and Maharastra are in Indian Punjab. Ranjit Singh's Sikh empire was also made of northern Pakistan and Afghanistan and Indian Punjab i.e, cis-Sutlej Missles were under British Dominion.

Hence in Indian Punjab there were never any independent free Sikh land and neither will be!

If Khalistan is created in Pakistan and Afghanistan Khalistani Sikhs may remain sure that Indian Govt will giv ethem their holy city of Amritsar which only falls in India as Hindus are always liberal!

Jan 19, 2008
Your point is well taken and thanks for sharing it.

I am not sure if numbers are that important. I believe Guru's themselves did not aim at numbers ... but on quality. If we are that passionate about Sikhism, and it matters that Sikhs be recognized ..... then please share the biggest treasure Sikhs have ..... please spread and make accessible 'Guru Granth Sahib' and its teaching through translations, discourse, workshops ....

For the statistical minded, here's a site ranking religions by size, notice how #Sikhs ranks 9:

Major Religions Ranked by Size

Nanak Naam Chardi Kala
Teray Bhaney, Sarbat Ka Bhalaa

SSA!

Param

B.S Aulakh

SPNer
Jun 15, 2008
Dear Khalsa ji,
Waheguru ji ka khalsa, waheguru ji ki fateh

In this subject that why OBAMA did not say a single word. I want to say that every where in the word sikhs are ignored always. Right from 1947, the leaders of Congress specially Nehru Family, was against of sikhs, but they want to join sikhs in their party to show that congress is party of sikhs also. If in our country sikh are ignored then how we can hope from other country. In gurbani written "GHAR SUKH BASIA BAHAR SUKH PAYA, KOH NANAK GUR MANTRA DRIDAYA" In same if we are not got respect in our country, for that country where maximum myrtyrs are from sikh community for freedom fight. Then should not hope from Obama or any other foreign leader.

Bhagwan singh Aulakh

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: