• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Why Are People Converting To Sikhism?

Gora_pakora

SPNer
Oct 23, 2009
SSA Ji,

I read your post and I understand your curiosity. I read a post recently, and it was by a guy who is on youtube named basicsofsikhi. And he states that the plan from all the gurus was to spread naam and its enlightenment. However this mission was stalled by continuous battles with the mughals, british and more recently Indian government.

I guess it does make sense, as why would god only want the punjab, or even asia to be enlightened and not the rest of the world.

I came across many people who are starting, or at mid point of their journey on the newtosikhi site. Also on this site you find many blogs of people asking Why guru?

Bhul Chuk Maaf

WGJKK WGJKF

GodIsTruth

SPNer
Aug 30, 2012
As Sikhism doesn't actively seek converts, unlike other religions that do so, Sikhs mostly tend to be of Indian/Pakistani heritage, more so than religions such as Islam and Christianity, that have in the past sought to convert many people different ethnic groups.

When I was young and first looking at Sikhism from the outside, I must admit for a white guy, the religion seemed quite strict. The outward display of the 5 K's, was unique, and non of the other religions I have come across display part of their beliefs in this way. The truth is, as I got to know Sikhs over the years, I personally found them to be the most open minded of people I had met. Of course we can't generalize, but I'm just speaking from experience.

I myself have a special reverence for Sikhism as I find that it is in many ways ahead of its time. The teachings that the Guru's shared with us, were truly unique and distinct from the teachings of the time. Most importantly for me, Sikhism never stated that it was the only path to God.

In my own personal experience, I have spoken to people of other religions (which I won't name), who as I was not part of their religion, believed that I and all others who do not believe are destined to eternity in hell. I could not reconcile that the Creator would do this, and thus these religions, would never be MY path to God.

BTW, this is off topic but thanks for making me smile Gora Pakora. I grew up with two Sikh lads as best mates, whose mum was a little racist to say the least. She would often shout at them and tell them not to go out me and mu brother, the "Gora Pakora's" as she called us. I must admit your name has me :rofl: remembering this.

Blessed be.

itsmaneet

SPNer
Jun 13, 2012
Nagpur, India
Why are people converting to Sikhism ...

"Maskeen Ji" use to say that it takes a second to change your faith ... one day a person can be a christian, another day a hindu, then a sikh, then a muslim .... one do has to change his body parts to change the faith ... you change your mind & the religion is changed ...

Not only people are converting to Sikhism but also to other religions .... but for me only the religion that can stand against science can survive ... Sikhism is one of the latest religions answering all queries of science including (psychology). Another thing is Sikhism never says wrong about other religions .. all are good in their places .

Gora_pakora

SPNer
Oct 23, 2009
As Sikhism doesn't actively seek converts, unlike other religions that do so, Sikhs mostly tend to be of Indian/Pakistani heritage, more so than religions such as Islam and Christianity, that have in the past sought to convert many people different ethnic groups.

BTW, this is off topic but thanks for making me smile Gora Pakora. I grew up with two Sikh lads as best mates, whose mum was a little racist to say the least. She would often shout at them and tell them not to go out me and mu brother, the "Gora Pakora's" as she called us. I must admit your name has me :rofl: remembering this.

Blessed be.

Lol @ You being called a Gora_Pakora.

Also your completely right about " Actively " seeking converts. However the religion is a universal religion, and if it was'nt we would of only ever had one Sikh.

GodIsTruth

SPNer
Aug 30, 2012
I completely agree with the universality of Sikhism, I think it is that which allows peoples coming from other religions to feel truly at home within Sikhism.

I have seen first hand some of the aggressive techniques employed by some religions to convert people. I am not in the business of putting down other religions, so I will not name them. However I will say, at no point have I ever experienced a Sikh (or a Hindu for that matter), trying to aggressively convert people in this way.

I think it is testament to this fact that all the that people are choosing to become Sikhs are doing not because they are being forced/convinced, but that they are doing so because they choose to.

Perhaps just one person who has chosen Sikhism out a personal wish to return to the Creator, is more important than a hundred people who have been converted against their will/choice.

Blessed be.

Harkiran Kaur

Leader

Writer
SPNer
Jul 20, 2012
Being also someone who fits into this category, I will weigh in my reasons.

I was born into the Catholic religion, and even at the young age of 8, when I was supposed to be studying to be confirmed in the religion, I knew deep inside it was not for me. Something was missing... and that something was the deeply personal connection with God I was longing for. You go to Church and listen to the Priest talk, and your connection to God is through that Priest. Even prayer did not evoke that feeling that I could be connected directly with my spiritual being... When I started to question the place and role of women in the Catholic religion (and Christianity as a whole), I knew it was not for me, and so I never was confirmed.

What specifically drew me to the Sikh Faith? The way it teaches of personal experience and direct connection with the creator while within this lifetime. That's what I felt was missing in the Catholic faith (and all of Christianity), was that direct connection. I can't even describe the feeling I get while at the Gurdwara (or doing Naam Simran at home)... its nothing like when I was at a Catholic church. I feel that presence within me at the Gurdwara, listening to kirtan when sometimes I am in tears because the feeling is so overwhelming. I feel it within me when I do sewa (both in the Gurdwara and outside doing volunteer work in the community). The equality of everyone (including gender), was also a big factor for me, as many of the world's religions put women in a subordinate position to men and I never could accept being somehow 'less' just because I was born female.

"For once my path was ever dark
By veiling of the lasting night
Once my heart was barren stark
By absence of your guiding light
Yet somehow you began to shine
From deepest void inside of me
When my life and soul I did resign
And give to you… Waheguru Ji."

Last edited:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM