• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Who Are We Kidding?

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN
Many years ago, I happened to be in Nanded (Maharashtra) and went to Hazur Sahib gurdwara to pay homage to the Tenth Guru, Gobind Singh, who was assassinated there in 1708.

It is one of the most sacred of gurdwaras.

I came across something which baffled me.

There was a row of cabins separated by thin walls of plywood in which a dozen akhand paths (non-stop reading of the Guru Granth by a relay of paathees - readers) were being performed with no one listening to them.

I sought explanation from the head granthi (caretaker). He told me people from India and abroad sent money for akhand paths, to be followed by Guru-ka-langar, as thanksgiving or for wish fulfilment.

I could not comprehend how prayers recited by someone else could benefit a devotee who paid for them.

However, I found such practices more prevalent in other communities, as well.
Hindus have havans (fire ceremonies) performed at distant places.

Muslims pay expenses to people going for Haj, hoping that benefits will accrue to them.
Even Mirza Ghalib pleaded with Emperor Bahadur Shah Zafar to take him along on Haj and he would give his tswaab (benefit) to his majesty. However, the British did not allow the Mughal king to leave Delhi.

What came as a big surprise to me was to find that Europeans, Canadians and Indian Christians are also into outsourcing prayers. Well-to-do English, Canadians and Americans, who can't be bothered to go to church, paid for holy masses in euros or dollars, outsourcing religious rituals to Kerala Christian priests.

I read about it in the latest Private Eye of May 15. To wit: "The outsourcing of American and European jobs to low-wage countries like India has been happening for years," Archbishop Jacob Thoomkuzhy told reporters in Kerala, "and religious outsourcing is no different. Because of shortage of priests in the industrialised world, prayers for the dead and holy masses are being paid for by the westerners, then offshored to India."

"It is a lucrative business for churches in Kerala. Mass intentions that are paid for in dollars or euros are carried out here by local priests. The prayers are recited, and the fees paid by westerners help cash-starved parishes here. So what's the problem? " asked the Archbishop.

For example, when British newspapers whipped up a storm about David Beckham's affairs, a Beckham fan from London paid 350 euros for a mass to save the soul of his hero.

The holy mass, however, was not held in a London parish.

It was outsourced by the church authorities to a Bishop in India, who passed it to a remote church at Anthikad in Thrissur diocese, where the mass took place.

"We do not want to look at this commercially, but it is a huge boost to the local religious economy here,'' said the Archbishop.

Attachments

• akhand-path.jpg
    akhand-path.jpg
    49.2 KB · Reads: 250

dalsingh

SPNer
Jun 12, 2006
London
Aman ji

This is really common. Isn't it the same as when people have Akhand Paths or Sukhmani Sahib Paths with langars on birthdays, graduations etc.

You put the issue into its correct perspective by describing ot as the "outsourcing" of religion. I guess it is just another symptom of this instant satiation and convenience lifestyle pushed so fiercely these days.

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Meaningless rituals breed the desire for miracles. Atleast buying a lottery ticket has some rare odds in favour. These rituals have all the odds against the payees and the performers. Well, the performers of the rituals atleast get paid. So they are the only winners in this game of religious poker.

Tejwant Singh

May 28, 2009
Out of interest, what would you think of someone having an Akhand Path or a Sukhmani Sahib Path at a house they have just moved into?

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa..Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh.......

If the person is participating in sangat and paath, then its fine..he will benefit from both..he/she will recite paath, and Guru Ji's charan into his/her home.

I always love to have Guru Ji and Sangat come to my home and we all will have pankat and sangat at home. This is the way we can do sewa of sangat. In old times sikhs call Guru Ji and sangat to their homes, its the same way...but one has to be present. Its not like...we called Guru Ji to our home and we are wondering around ............No...we have to be there....

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Out of interest, what would you think of someone having an Akhand Path or a Sukhmani Sahib Path at a house they have just moved into?

Dal Singh ji,

Guru fateh.

It is a good idea provided they are done by the members of the family or the extended family. When we have Akhand paaths for any reason at anyone of our family's, we do it on our own. We have weekly Sukhmani Sahib paath but in a different manner.We discuss one Astpadi per week in details.All have to study the given Astpadi and discuss about it.

Tejwant Singh

May 28, 2009
Dal Singh ji,

Guru fateh.

It is a good idea provided they are done by the members of the family or the extended family. When we have Akhand paaths for any reason at anyone of our family's, we do it on our own. We have weekly Sukhmani Sahib paath but in a different manner.We discuss one Astpadi per week in details.All have to study the given Astpadi and discuss about it.

Tejwant Singh

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa..Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh....

That's great ..I liked it...Its a great Idea...even we can start to have weekly discussion of other baani's also........

We can request admin to start a forum with Baani Discussions...Sub forum Sukmani Sahib...and start a thread with every Ashtpadi and discuss it ...the Sudh Ucharan and katha veechar ....

May 28, 2009
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa...Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh....

Sangat ch aaon naal kinne change vichar te ideas aaonde han......thanks to VaheguruSeekr Ji....

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Adssaini ji

This is a great idea. We need to implement it soon. For your information, there are 2 Gurmat discussions ongoing right now. One on the selokas of Kabir ji and one on the bhagats. Your interactions there would be most welcome -- please do participate. Here are the links.

http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/gurma...bani-contemplation-selok-bhagat-kabir-ji.html

http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/gurmat-vichaar-project/23874-bhagats-sri-guru-granth-sahib-ji.html

Seems as if you are interested -- So please enjoy! :wah:

dalsingh

SPNer
Jun 12, 2006
London
I know when there is excessive conflict in a house people do Sukhmani Sahib Paths, which I believe can help create a better vibe around.

Also, I know this may sound stupid, but sometimes when spooky things happen in a house, people do Paths like Akhand Paths to help them somhow purify the house. What do people think of this?

People today generally seem to get some form of path done when they get a new house these days. But they will get outsiders in to do the reading as the average diasporic Panjabi family is unable to read SGGS ji these days.

May 28, 2009
Adssaini ji

This is a great idea. We need to implement it soon. For your information, there are 2 Gurmat discussions ongoing right now. One on the selokas of Kabir ji and one on the bhagats. Your interactions there would be most welcome -- please do participate. Here are the links.

http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/gurma...bani-contemplation-selok-bhagat-kabir-ji.html

http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/gurmat-vichaar-project/23874-bhagats-sri-guru-granth-sahib-ji.html

Seems as if you are interested -- So please enjoy! :wah:

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa...Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh...

thuvada bhaut bahut dhanwaad.......dilon shurkriya te ardaas...ki Waheguru barkataan baqshe.......:wah: :wah:

late ho gaya class ch....Waheguru himmat baqshe...ki schedule te chetti pahunch jaavaan........

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Gyani ji

I am wondering if we could start a systematic study of Sri Raag, and set it up in a way similar to the selokas of Kabir ji -- Say 8 lines at a time for discussion. And locate it in the Gurmat Vichaar Project section as well. What do you think?

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Gyani ji

I am wondering if we could start a systematic study of Sri Raag, and set it up in a way similar to the selokas of Kabir ji -- Say 8 lines at a time for discussion. And locate it in the Gurmat Vichaar Project section as well. What do you think?

Antonia ji,

Guru Fateh.

Sorry for piggy back riding on yourpost to Gyani ji, it is a great idea. This way we can eliminate the pitfalls offered by the literal translations and people can savour the wider spectrum of Gurbani.

Tejwant Singh

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Aad Ji, ( and Tejwant Ji)
Gurfateh.

BEGIN POSTING...and we can begin discussing.... 8 lines at a time is a GOOD length - just nice.
That way we can progress through the entire SGGS.
Alternatively why NOT start from the Beginning.....EK Oangkar....MOOL MANTAR..then we will really have the Complete SGGS Thread....
THIS THREAD will be YOUR Shahkaar - Masterpiece !! a sort of Internet Gurdwara with Virtual Sangat..an idea that you had...remember ??

Keep in Chardeekalla....

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Gyani ji

Just one little question. Should we wait until we get to the end of the Kabir Selokas discussion -- that way both can get due focus. What are your thoughts on that? :) In truth I am wondering about posting about Moti's dog, but the story upsets me too much. There are 3 selokas posted by Gurvinder_Janu yet for discussion.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Aad Ji,
Either way is fine with me. Kabir Jis sloks are almost ending...( and by the time we visit them second tiem around..so many of our thoughts would have changed..you can bet on it..THATS what is meant by..Satgur mera Nit navaan...MY Satgur surprises me DAILY..He is Daily RENEWED...(never boring/old ).
whats the problem with moti...the "dog"...
Kabir Ji is metaphorical...Please post your thoughts...

May 28, 2009
Aad Ji, ( and Tejwant Ji)
Gurfateh.

BEGIN POSTING...and we can begin discussing.... 8 lines at a time is a GOOD length - just nice.
That way we can progress through the entire SGGS.
Alternatively why NOT start from the Beginning.....EK Oangkar....MOOL MANTAR..then we will really have the Complete SGGS Thread....
THIS THREAD will be YOUR Shahkaar - Masterpiece !! a sort of Internet Gurdwara with Virtual Sangat..an idea that you had...remember ??

Keep in Chardeekalla....

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa ...Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh.. Gyani Ji..

Good Idea...Guru Maharaj aage Ardaas karke...we can start discussing Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji...

I have one Idea...that we should add Kahta by other Gyani's or Katha veecharak alogwith this discussion, like Katha of Gyani Thakur Singh Ji, and others. We can get different views and can have a world's biggest discussion ever made...(Waheguru kirpa kare)....and I think this will make a biggest collection ever...because many times it not possible to listen to all kahta's ...so by this way we can get all kahta at one platform...

This is just what I thought and would like to share this idea...rest whatever is Sangat's decision, seer matthe te.......

on this great Idea of disucssing Dhan Dhan Sri Guru Granth Sahib....lets collectively say JAIKARA..

BOLEY SO NIHAAL.........SAT SRI AKAL.............

Bhul chuk maaf............

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa...

Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh........

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
AdaKhalsa ji -- This kind of brainstorming on your part is very helpful. Once we are ready to start -- I won't forget to get the new thread moving - by then we should have a collection of suggestions that will make the thread very very inspiring and educational. By weaving other media sources of vichaar in -- such as the files of Sant Maskeen ji - we end up with a multimedia result which can only be unique and one of a kind for a forum. Thanks. Keep your thoughts flowing.

May 28, 2009

Aad0002 Ji..

Thanks for appreciation..I got this Idea while doing morning nitnem..Acutally I am so glad to see that Sri Guru Granth Sahib discussion is going to start and we all will learn.....

Acutally, what I mean is... first we will have Pauri....then we will have detailed meaning of that like:

Gyani Sant Singh Ji Maskeen:

Gyani Thakur Singh Ji:

XXXX

Same way...so on particular pauri/ panktiyaan...we will have all explanations/ meanings in one post...

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: