• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Which Way Guru Is More Respected?

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
Sikhs claim to have great respect for Guru Sahiban, some time I wonder, is it just limited to words, fake rituals or different way?
Please share your views, thanks.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
pk70 ji

Your question is something that I also think about from time to time. My hunch is that many of us do have great respect for Guru Sahibaan. The difference is this. Most people, no matter what their religion, learn to be passive about most aspects of practice. This is what they observe in adults around them in childhood. In school, or perhaps in Gurmat class, they are not encouraged to think out loud. I have hear many people say that they did not get very much out of Gurmat classes at gurdwaras.

They were encouraged to sit back and listen to what some other person "expert" has to say. And very often the "teacher" is speaking from a prepared script -- a lecture. No questions, no interesting puzzles to solve, no interaction, no offer to look at things in different ways. There is only one correct answer. Dialog is not encouraged -- and not because the "teacher" is of ill will. But because that is all he/she knows. Or perhaps everyone is afraid of making mistakes, so they are very careful. And they stress presentation and memorization only. Passion has to be nurtured by a teacher who respects passion to learn.

I remember that Gianni Jarnail told us recently that in his gurmat class students bring in several different translations of gurbani and everyone contrasts and compares different ideas. They can see how the thinking of the translator -- biases if you will -- are interjected in subtle ways. He is describing an atmosphere of energetic discussion. You would not be surprised that many people are afraid to do that very thing. So in the end we get "ritualistic" respect. That is still respect and should be honored. However, that great love and passion to learn more and more has been suppressed. You can see this in every religion. It is easier, risk-free, and socially safe to be a passive learner.

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Sikhs claim to have great respect for Guru Sahiban, some time I wonder, is it just limited to words, fake rituals or different way?
Please share your views, thanks.

Rituals are part and parcel of nature.
If you want a banana, you have to peel it to reach it's contents.

Sometimes the rituals are over-powering like smashing a coconut and wrestling with its hard and thick fibre in order to get its soft edible stuff. More time is spent in the ritual than in the enjoying of the real thing.

If you want to watch a movie that you desire to see,
the rituals involved are reaching at the theatre on time, buying the ticket and finding your seat.

singhbj

SPNer
Nov 4, 2007
Waheguru ji ka khalsa
Waheguru ji ki fateh

ਪਉੜੀ ਸਾਹਿਬੁ ਹੋਇ ਦਇਆਲੁ ਕਿਰਪਾ ਕਰੇ ਤਾ ਸਾਈ ਕਾਰ ਕਰਾਇਸੀ ਸੋ ਸੇਵਕੁ ਸੇਵਾ ਕਰੇ ਜਿਸ ਨੋ ਹੁਕਮੁ ਮਨਾਇਸੀ ਹੁਕਮਿ ਮੰਨਿਐ ਹੋਵੈ ਪਰਵਾਣੁ ਤਾ ਖਸਮੈ ਕਾ ਮਹਲੁ ਪਾਇਸੀ ਖਸਮੈ ਭਾਵੈ ਸੋ ਕਰੇ ਮਨਹੁ ਚਿੰਦਿਆ ਸੋ ਫਲੁ ਪਾਇਸੀ ਤਾ ਦਰਗਹ ਪੈਧਾ ਜਾਇਸੀ ॥੧੫॥

Pa­oṛī.Sāhib ho­ė ḏa­i­āl kirpā karė ṯā sā­ī kār karā­isī.So sėvak sėvā karė jis no hukam manā­isī.Hukam mani­ai hovai parvāṇ ṯā kẖasmai kā mahal pā­isī.Kẖasmai bẖāvai so karė manhu cẖinḏi­ā so fal pā­isī.Ŧā ḏargeh paiḏẖā jā­isī. ||15||

Pauree: One, upon whom the Merciful Lord bestows His Grace, performs His service. That servant, whom the Lord causes to obey the Order of His Will, serves Him. Obeying the Order of His Will, he becomes acceptable, and then, he obtains the Mansion of the Lord's Presence. One who acts to please His Lord and Master, obtains the fruits of his mind's desires. Then, he goes to the Court of the Lord, wearing robes of honor. ||15||

ਸਾਈ ਕਾਰ = ਉਹੀ ਕੰਮ (ਜੋ ਉਸ ਨੂੰ ਭਾਉਂਦਾ ਹੈ)। ਹੁਕਮਿ ਮੰਨਿਐ = ਜੇ ਮਾਲਕ ਦੀ ਆਗਿਆ ਵਿਚ ਤੁਰੀਏ, ਜੇ ਰਜ਼ਾ ਵਿਚ ਰਾਜ਼ੀ ਰਹੀਏ, ਰਜ਼ਾ ਵਿਚ ਰਾਜ਼ੀ ਰਹਿਣ ਨਾਲ। ਪਰਵਾਣੁ = (ਦਰਗਾਹ ਵਿਚ) ਕਬੂਲ, ਸੁਰਖ਼ਰੂ। ਖਸਮੈ ਕਾ ਮਹਲੁ = ਖਸਮ ਦਾ ਘਰ, ਉਹ ਟਿਕਾਣਾ ਜਿੱਥੇ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ-ਪਤੀ ਸਾਖਿਆਤ ਪਰਗਟ ਹੁੰਦਾ ਹੈ। ਮਨਹੁ ਚਿੰਦਿਆ = ਮਨ-ਭਾਉਂਦਾ, ਮਨ-ਇੱਛਤ। ਪੈਧਾ = ਸਿਰੋਪਾਉ ਲੈ ਕੇ, ਇੱਜ਼ਤ ਨਾਲ।੧੫।

(ਜਿਸ ਸੇਵਕ ਉੱਤੇ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ) ਮਾਲਕ ਦਇਆਲ ਹੋ ਜਾਏ, ਮਿਹਰ ਕਰੇ, ਤਾਂ ਉਸ ਪਾਸੋਂ ਉਹੀ ਕੰਮ ਕਰਾਂਦਾ ਹੈ (ਜੋ ਉਸ ਨੂੰ ਭਾਉਂਦਾ ਹੈ); ਜਿਸ ਨੂੰ ਆਪਣੀ ਰਜ਼ਾ ਵਿਚ ਤੋਰਦਾ ਹੈ, ਉਹ ਸੇਵਕ (ਪ੍ਰਭੂ-ਪਤੀ ਦੀ) ਸੇਵਾ ਕਰਦਾ ਹੈ; ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਦੀ ਰਜ਼ਾ ਵਿਚ ਰਾਜ਼ੀ ਰਹਿਣ ਕਰਕੇ ਸੇਵਕ (ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਦੇ ਦਰ ਤੇ) ਕਬੂਲ ਹੋ ਜਾਂਦਾ ਹੈ ਅਤੇ ਮਾਲਕ ਦਾ ਘਰ ਲੱਭ ਲੈਂਦਾ ਹੈ। ਜਦੋਂ ਸੇਵਕ ਉਹੀ ਕੰਮ ਕਰਦਾ ਹੈ ਜੋ ਖਸਮ ਨੂੰ ਚੰਗਾ ਲੱਗਦਾ ਹੈ ਤਾਂ ਉਸ ਨੂੰ ਮਨ-ਭਾਉਂਦਾ ਫਲ ਮਿਲਦਾ ਹੈ, ਅਤੇ ਉਹ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਦੀ ਦਰਗਾਹ ਵਿਚ ਇੱਜ਼ਤ ਨਾਲ ਜਾਂਦਾ ਹੈ।੧੫।

Source: Sri Granth: Sri Guru Granth Sahib

ਕਿਵ ਸਚਿਆਰਾ ਹੋਈਐ ਕਿਵ ਕੂੜੈ ਤੁਟੈ ਪਾਲਿ ਹੁਕਮਿ ਰਜਾਈ ਚਲਣਾ ਨਾਨਕ ਲਿਖਿਆ ਨਾਲਿ ॥੧॥

Kiv sacẖi­ārā ho­ī­ai kiv kūrhai ṯutai pāl. Hukam rajā­ī cẖalṇā Nānak likẖi­ā nāl. ||1||

So how can you become truthful? And how can the veil of illusion be torn away? O Nanak, it is written that you shall obey the Hukam of His Command, and walk in the Way of His Will. ||1||

ਕਿਵ = ਕਿਸ ਤਰ੍ਹਾਂ। ਹੋਈਐ = ਹੋ ਸਕੀਦਾ ਹੈ। ਕੂੜੈ ਪਾਲਿ = ਕੂੜ ਦੀ ਪਾਲਿ, ਕੂੜ ਦੀ ਕੰਧ, ਕੂੜ ਦਾ ਪਰਦਾ। ਸਚਿਆਰਾ = (ਸਚ ਆਲਯ) ਸੱਚ ਦਾ ਘਰ, ਸੱਚ ਦੇ ਪਰਕਾਸ਼ ਹੋਣ ਲਈ ਯੋਗ। ਹੁਕਮਿ = ਹੁਕਮ ਵਿਚ। ਰਜਾਈ = ਰਜ਼ਾ ਵਾਲਾ, ਅਕਾਲ ਪੁਰਖ। ਨਾਲਿ = ਜੀਵ ਦੇ ਨਾਲ ਹੀ, ਧੁਰ ਤੋਂ ਹੀ ਜਦ ਤੋਂ ਜਗਤ ਬਣਿਆ ਹੈ।੧।

(ਤਾਂ ਫਿਰ) ਅਕਾਲ ਪੁਰਖ ਦਾ ਪਰਕਾਸ਼ ਹੋਣ ਲਈ ਯੋਗ ਕਿਵੇਂ ਬਣ ਸਕੀਦਾ ਹੈ (ਅਤੇ ਸਾਡੇ ਅੰਦਰ ਦਾ) ਕੂੜ ਦਾ ਪਰਦਾ ਕਿਵੇਂ ਟੁੱਟ ਸਕਦਾ ਹੈ? ਰਜ਼ਾ ਦੇ ਮਾਲਕ ਅਕਾਲ ਪੁਰਖ ਦੇ ਹੁਕਮ ਵਿਚ ਤੁਰਨਾ-(ਇਹੀ ਇਕ ਵਿਧੀ ਹੈ)। ਹੇ ਨਾਨਕ! (ਇਹ ਵਿਧੀ) ਧੁਰ ਤੋਂ ਹੀ ਜਦ ਤੋਂ ਜਗਤ ਬਣਿਆ ਹੈ, ਲਿਖੀ ਚਲੀ ਆ ਰਹੀ ਹੈ।੧। ❁ ਭਾਵ: ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਨਾਲੋਂ ਜੀਵ ਦੀ ਵਿੱਥ ਮਿਟਾਣ ਦਾ ਇਕੋ ਹੀ ਤਰੀਕਾ ਹੈ ਕਿ ਜੀਵ ਉਸ ਦੀ ਰਜ਼ਾ ਵਿਚ ਤੁਰੇ। ਇਹ ਅਸੂਲ ਧੁਰ ਤੋਂ ਹੀ ਰੱਬ ਵਲੋਂ ਜੀਵ ਲਈ ਜਰੂਰੀ ਹੈ। ਪਿਤਾ ਦੇ ਕਹੇ ਵਿਚ ਪੁੱਤਰ ਤੁਰਦਾ ਰਹੇ ਤਾਂ ਪਿਆਰ, ਨਾ ਤੁਰੇ ਤਾਂ ਵਿੱਥ ਪੈਂਦੀ ਜਾਂਦੀ ਹੈ। ❀ ਨੋਟ: ਇਸ ਪਉੜੀ ਦੀ ਪੰਜਵੀਂ ਤੁਕ ਪੜ੍ਹਿਆਂ ਇਹ ਪਤਾ ਲੱਗਦਾ ਹੈ ਕਿ ਇਸ ਪਉੜੀ ਵਿਚ ਗੁਰੂ ਨਾਨਕ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਮਨ ਨੂੰ 'ਸਚਿਆਰਾ' ਕਰਨ ਦਾ ਤਰੀਕਾ ਦੱਸ ਰਹੇ ਹਨ। ਸਭ ਤੋਂ ਪਹਿਲਾਂ ਉਹਨਾਂ ਸਾਧਨਾਂ ਦਾ ਜ਼ਿਕਰ ਕਰਦੇ ਹਨ ਜੋ ਹੋਰ ਲੋਕ ਵਰਤ ਰਹੇ ਹਨ। ਤੀਰਥਾਂ ਦਾ ਇਸ਼ਨਾਨ, ਜੰਗਲਾਂ ਵਿਚ ਜਾ ਕੇ ਸਮਾਧੀ ਲਾਉਣੀ, ਮਨ ਨੂੰ ਮਾਇਆ ਵਿਚ ਪਹਿਲਾਂ ਰਜਾ ਲੈਣਾ, ਸ਼ਾਸਤ੍ਰਾਂ ਦੀ ਫਿਲਾਸਫ਼ੀ-ਇਹ ਆਮ ਪਰਚਲਤ ਤਰੀਕੇ ਸਨ। ਪਰ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਇਹਨਾਂ ਤੋਂ ਵੱਖਰਾ ਉਹ ਸਾਧਨ ਦੱਸਦੇ ਹਨ, ਜਿਸ ਨੂੰ ਗੁਰਸਿੱਖੀ ਦਾ ਮੁੱਢਲਾ ਨਿਯਮ ਸਮਝ ਲੈਣਾ ਚਾਹੀਦਾ ਹੈ, ਭਾਵ, ਅਕਾਲ ਪੁਰਖ ਦੀ ਰਜ਼ਾ ਵਿਚ ਤੁਰਨਾ। ਪਹਿਲੀਆਂ ਚੌਹਾਂ ਤੁਕਾਂ ਦੇ ਠੀਕ ਅਰਥ ਸਮਝਣ ਲਈ ਪੰਜਵੀਂ ਤੁਕ ਵਲ ਖ਼ਾਸ ਧਿਆਨ ਦੇਣਾ ਜ਼ਰੂਰੀ ਹੈ। 'ਕਿਵ ਸਚਿਆਰਾ ਹੋਈਐ ਕਿਵ ਕੂੜੈ ਤੁਟੈ ਪਾਲਿ।' ਇਸ ਤੁਕ ਨੂੰ ਪਹਿਲੀ ਹਰੇਕ ਤੁਕ ਦੇ ਨਾਲ ਪੜ੍ਹਿਆਂ ਸਪੱਸ਼ਟ ਹੋ ਜਾਂਦਾ ਹੈ ਕਿ ਪਹਿਲੀ ਹਰੇਕ ਤੁਕ ਵਿਚ 'ਮਨ' ਦਾ ਹੀ ਜ਼ਿਕਰ ਹੈ। ਪਹਿਲੀ ਤੁਕ ਵਿਚ 'ਮਨ ਦੀ ਸੁੱਚ', ਦੂਜੀ ਵਿਚ 'ਮਨ ਦੀ ਚੁੱਪ', ਤੀਜੀ ਵਿਚ 'ਮਨ ਦੀ ਭੁੱਖ' ਅਤੇ ਚੌਥੀ ਵਿਚ 'ਮਨ ਦੀ ਸਿਆਣਪ' ਦਾ ਹਾਲ ਦੱਸਿਆ ਹੈ।

Source: http://www.srigranth.org/servlet/gurbani.gurbani?Action=Page&Param=1&g=1&h=1&r=1&t=1&p=0&k=1

Waheguru ji ka khalsa
Waheguru ji ki fateh

Last edited by a moderator:

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
Quote aad0002
pk70 ji
Your question is something that I also think about from time to time. My hunch is that many of us do have great respect for Guru Sahibaan. The difference is this. Most people, no matter what their religion, learn to be passive about most aspects of practice. This is what they observe in adults around them in childhood. In school, or perhaps in Gurmat class, they are not encouraged to think out loud. I have hear many people say that they did not get very much out of Gurmat classes at gurdwaras.
Aad0002 ji, True. I doubt also if learning ever takes place without respecting Guru. Since on this journey our intellectual couldn’t bear any fruit, so why to hang on to it? Guru keeps us to stay awake about all things that couldn’t help us to be closer to HIM, then why to bother about them. If obeyed as directed by Guru, respect takes place of intellect which actually harbors ego deep in side. If learning doesn’t occur in Gurmat classes at Gurdwara, obviously Guru Message is not conveyed as it should be. . Answer is given by 3rd Mehl in Ram Kli, Gur Vaak is given at the end my all comments so that you remember Guru Vaak and forget about my comments.

Namjapji Quote
Rituals are part and parcel of nature.
If you want a banana, you have to peel it to reach it's contents.
Respectfully I take the liberty to disagree with youNamjapji, example shows mandatory effort, in mandatory effort, respect seldom stays. Respect should perceive naturally with faith. For respect ritual becomes immaterial if followers live teaching or try to live it. If we feel like we have to do something, respect ceases right there as per example in banana or coconut.
[/FONT]
ਪਉੜੀ http://www.srigranth.org/servlet/gurbani.dictionary?Param=ਪਉੜੀ[/FONT]ਸਾਹਿਬੁ http://www.srigranth.org/servlet/gurbani.dictionary?Param=ਸਾਹਿਬੁਹੋਇ [/FONT]ਦਇਆਲੁ [/FONT]ਕਿਰਪਾ [/FONT]ਕਰੇ [/FONT]ਤਾ [/FONT]ਸਾਈ [/FONT]ਕਾਰ [/FONT]ਕਰਾਇਸੀ [/FONT][/FONT]ਸੋ http://www.srigranth.org/servlet/gurbani.dictionary?Param=ਸੋਸੇਵਕੁ [/FONT]ਸੇਵਾ [/FONT]ਕਰੇ [/FONT]ਜਿਸ [/FONT]ਨੋ [/FONT]ਹੁਕਮੁ [/FONT]ਮਨਾਇਸੀ [/FONT][/FONT]ਹੁਕਮਿ http://www.srigranth.org/servlet/gurbani.dictionary?Param=ਹੁਕਮਿਮੰਨਿਐ [/FONT]ਹੋਵੈ [/FONT]ਪਰਵਾਣੁ [/FONT]ਤਾ [/FONT]ਖਸਮੈ [/FONT]ਕਾ [/FONT]ਮਹਲੁ [/FONT]ਪਾਇਸੀ [/FONT][/FONT]ਖਸਮੈ http://www.srigranth.org/servlet/gurbani.dictionary?Param=ਖਸਮੈਭਾਵੈ [/FONT]ਸੋ [/FONT]ਕਰਮਨਹੁ [/FONT]ਚਿੰਦਿਆ [/FONT]ਸੋ [/FONT]ਫਲੁ [/FONT]ਪਾਇਸੀ [/FONT][/FONT]ਤਾ http://www.srigranth.org/servlet/gurbani.dictionary?Param=ਤਾਦਰਗਹ [/FONT]ਪੈਧਾ [/FONT]ਜਾਇਸੀ [/FONT][/FONT]੧੫॥

Pa*oṛī.Sāhib ho*ė ḏa*i*āl kirpā karė ṯā sā*ī kār karā*isī.So sėvak sėvā karė jis no hukam manā*isī.Hukam mani*ai hovai parvāṇ ṯā kẖasmai kā mahal pā*isī.Kẖasmai bẖāvai so karė manhu cẖinḏi*ā so fal pā*isī.Ŧā ḏargeh paiḏẖā jā*isī. ||15||

ਕਿਵ http://www.srigranth.org/servlet/gurbani.dictionary?Param=ਕਿਵਸਚਿਆਰਾ [/FONT]ਹੋਈਐ [/FONT]ਕਿਵ [/FONT]ਕੂੜੈ [/FONT]ਤੁਟੈ [/FONT]ਪਾਲਿ [/FONT][/FONT]ਹੁਕਮਿ http://www.srigranth.org/servlet/gurbani.dictionary?Param=ਹੁਕਮਿਰਜਾਈ [/FONT]ਚਲਣਾ [/FONT]ਨਾਨਕ [/FONT]ਲਿਖਿਆ [/FONT]ਨਾਲਿ [/FONT][/FONT]੧॥

Kiv sacẖi*ārā ho*ī*ai kiv kūrhai ṯutai pāl. Hukam rajā*ī cẖalṇā Nānak likẖi*ā nāl. ||1||

ਦਸ ਬੈਰਾਗਨਿ ਆਗਿਆਕਾਰੀ ਤਬ ਨਿਰਮਲ ਜੋਗੀ ਥੀਏ ੨॥

Respected singhbj ji,

First of all my thanks for posting beautiful Guru shabad that answers questions of a devoted seeker on the path Guru shows on; however, my question is about how to respect Guru in way we intend to seek what we Sikhs are supposed to seek.
Meeting or seeing a Guru is totally physical aspect, believing and living Guru Teaching is real respect to the Guru. As long as “I” remains, respect is limited to ritual. It will nail you and rip you off a chance to follow Guru. Simply visiting Guru will bear almost nothing if daily activities are not changed as per Guru Hukm . Here is another Guru Hukm in this context:

“ Gur Ka Kaiaa Kar Kmavo..Onkar Mehla 1”
. How that direct advice from our Guru, we dare to disobey and claim we love Guru and we respect Guru. .I came across Guru Shabad that answers my question and questions the way some Sikhs believe to respect Guru ji. So here is Guru Sahib himself making crystal clear. Please enjoy it. First Guru ji states about message we all need and is given by Guru ji, then please find in the second Guru Vaak how my question is answered clearly.

eyhu soihlw sbdu suhwvw ] sbdo suhwvw sdw soihlw, siqgurU suxwieAw ] eyhu iqn kY mMin visAw, ijn Durhu iliKAw AwieAw ] ieik iPrih Gnyry krih glw, glI iknY n pwieAw ] khY nwnku, sbdu soihlw, siqgurU suxwieAw ]16] {pMnw 919}
( In essence :This song of praise, the Shabad the most beautiful Word of God is spoken by the True Guru and this beauteous Shabad is the everlasting. This is one is enshrined only in the minds of those who are so pre-destined by the Lord. There are many who babble around but none realizes Him by mere talks. Says Nanak, the Shabad the song of praise is spoken by the True Guru. || 16 || )
Here is the answer

jy ko isKu, gurU syqI snmuKu hovY ] hovY q snmuKu isKu koeI, jIAhu rhY gur nwly ] gur ky crn ihrdY iDAwey, AMqr AwqmY smwly ] Awpu Cif sdw rhY prxY, gur ibnu Avru n jwxY koey ] khY nwnku suxhu sMqhu, so isKu snmuKu hoey ]21] {pMnw 919-920}
( In essence: That Sikh who turns to the Guru with extreme sincerity, he keeps Guru teaching in mind always, this is the way Sikh should turn to the Guru with extreme sincerity, he should also harbor memory of Guru to keep his teaching always fresh in mind, this way his/her soul abides with the Guru and should not believe any one but Guru and renounces self conceit. Within his heart, he meditates on the Guru teachings within the mind, Nanak says that this is the way sikh should turn to Guru.)

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: