• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Where Sikhism Is Going These Days

Jun 1, 2004
Do you ever wonder where Sikhi is going these days?

I look around at my fellow Sikhs and see less and less people living the Sikh Lifestyle. On one side I see many who were brought up in a Sikh family but don't really seem to have any real relationship with what it means to be a Sikh. Maybe they go to Gurdwara from time to time, but that is the extent of it. On the other hand there are the "Gursikhs" who on the surface look like Sikhs but seem so narrow-minded and disconnected with the teachings of the Gurus. They are quick to criticize you and tell you what is right and wrong according to their understanding of Sikhi. It’s as if they are trying to prove that they are better people.

I always have thought of the Sikh way of life as a “lifestyle” and not a rigid religion. The Gurus taught about openness and acceptance and not getting caught up in rituals. So much of what we do as Sikhs has lost it’s meaning to many and it has become a blind ritual. Everything becomes black and white…rather than being open-minded and looking deeper into the meaning of things. Living as a Sikh to me is not about “X” rules that you have to follow. People get so into black and white rules, which in the end can divide and separate rather than include and unify. If you do “X” than you are bad, or are not a Sikh. How about getting “Ex-communicated”? I laugh when I hear stuff like this. It is between a Sikh and his Guru not someone else to define who is a Sikh and who cannot be a Sikh.

When you look at some of the fundamentals of Sikhism (like equality of gender)…I always hear the lines that people say boasting that Sikhism is so great and has all these principles, however in practice these end up being ideals which to a large degree are not practiced by many. Its no wonder people are not staying as Sikhs.

I don’t think Sikhi is lost…but think that it is in transition. I have found that in my personal life that sometimes things have to get really bad in order for me to get motivated enough to make a change. So, in relation to Sikhi I think there will be a renaissance. As the older generation passes on and the new generation of Sikhs grow, many of the old rituals and practices will fall away and Sikhi will flourish.

Ultimately what helps guide me as a Sikh is really being open minded, and seeing all perspectives. Not being quick to judge someone. We have to be open and welcoming. Our judgments and close-mindedness is what repels our youth.

So, the next time you see someone doing something that you don’t agree with, think twice before judging him or her. Try to look at things from their perspective and be compassionate. You don’t have to agree, but at least allow them to have their opinion, rather than get caught up in trying to define it as right or wrong.

Have you ever noticed that when you are irritated or having a hard time in your life that you see negative things in other people (which most of the time is a reflection of yourself)? This understanding helps give me compassion and understanding towards others. So, when I see someone being hurtful, or making fun of someone I can be understanding, and know that this person is this way because of something in their life that they are unhappy about. This awareness also gave me a clearer picture of myself. So when I catch myself being critical and negative about things I can look deeper and understand that something is going on within me.

So… I guess I’ll end here for today. There are so many thoughts and it is sometimes hard to crystallize just one point. As I get time I’ll write some more and get into some ideas for solutions. I always tell people…if you are going to complain about something than you had better be a part of the solution. We have enough complainers. What we need are people that are willing to talk the talk and make the changes they wish to see.

“Be the change you wish to see”.

Jul 13, 2004
Canada
It is between a [url="http://www.sikhphilosophy.com/sikhphilosophy/search/forum/38-1.html"]Sikh[/url] and his Guru not someone else to define who is a [url="http://www.sikhphilosophy.com/sikhphilosophy/search/forum/38-1.html"]Sikh[/url] and who cannot be a <A class=DEF title="" href="http://www.sikhphilosophy.com/sikhphilosophy/search/forum/38-1.html" target=_blank>Sikh

I like this simple explanation.

Overall, such articles are a necessity for the sikhs, for self-improvement

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
And the GURU today ( since Vasakhi 1699 and subsequently affirmed in 1708) is GURU KHALSA PANTH in the Tabiaayah of GURU GRANTH JI.

The GURU KHALSA PANTH (PANJ PIYARAS) was TESTED by GURU JI Himself after 1699 a number of times.... when GURU JI did adab to a muslim Pir's grave with His spear...the GURU KHALSA was brave enough to PUNISH GURU JI for this "grave" ( pun intended !!) mistake. In Chamkaur Fort the Guru Khalsa panth again showed its worth when it ordered GURU JI to leave the Fort.

After this testing period GURU JI bestowed Spiritual Gurgadhi on Guru Granth Ji when he left his body in 1708.

Thus the GURU KHALSA PANTH has all the rights to define a Sikh as long as this definition passes the Touchstone of GURBANI in Guru Granth Ji. As such the Sikh Rehat Maryada and its definition of a SIKH is relevant and true.
There is no room for any "ambiguous" definitions and statements like ( its between "me" and "my Guru"..why do you care ?? etc. The SRM is a document that stands the test of time and can be amended as and when the Guru Khalsa panth decides..BUT NO ONE has the right to amend or change GURBANI.

Jarnail Singh Gyani

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: