• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Where Have All The True Sikhs Gone

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
Harry Ji,

to your question/post, a poem always comes to mind that i read regularly as it's straight to the point:

People are often unreasonable and self-centered. Forgive them anyway.
If you are kind, people may accuse you of ulterior motives. Be kind anyway.
If you are honest, people may cheat you. Be honest anyway.
If you find happiness, people may be jealous. Be happy anyway.
The good you do today may be forgotten tomorrow. Do good anyway.
Give the world the best you have and it may never be enough. Give your best anyway.
For you see, in the end, it is between you and God. It was never between you and them anyway.”
― Kent M. Keith

palaingtha

SPNer
Aug 28, 2012
Re: Where are have all the true Sikhs gone

Gurupiyario jios,

1. my word is "REWARDS"..not AWARDS.
Reward is Salary/renumeration/pay/bonus etc. This is perfectly in line with HONEST KIRT...Honest Labour. IF a carpenter makes the Best manjas..he is perfectly entitled to get the Best rewards..that is best PRICE. Hes under no obligation to just sell at Throw away prices/give away prices/etc etc like buy 2 get one free...I just Bought an excellent Manja and paid a PREMIUM PRICE - almost DOUBLE the factory made manja price in the market..this manja is hand made lovingly decorated with nice designs, oiled choolas so its totally silent when i move on it while sleeping..perfectly balanced legs, paavahs rock solid and huge...for ME its the BEST manja at the BEST PRICE. I certainly would not go around asking to buy a BMW at Maruti price and then accuse the dealer of trying to cheat me ?? or accuse him of ....and make him feel guilty ?? No jios. BEST DESERVES BEST IN RETURN.

2. You have made a distinction between "SIKH" * those wearing turbans, beards, kirpan gatras, commonly seen in and around Gurdwaras.....and "sikhs" like Bll Gates, Marrett of Walmart, etc. To my mind there is NO DISTINCTION.
Reason:.....many among those that LOOK like Sikhs and mass in Gurdwaras, nagar Kirtans, Kirtan darbars..etc..also bow to Hanumans and Shiv Lings, gift chadars at Muslim graves, matha tek here and there bathing at sarovars and ganga rivers tying maulees red strings to wrists, keeping fasts and chholay parshaad at shnnivaar....everywhere..DONT KNOW a SINGLE LINE of Gurbani, Cannot tell you the names of the 10 Gurus in full and good order, ...etc etc etc...seldom if ever take out full daswandh, and follow none of what Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji says or SRM ordains...YET they are STILL "SIKHS"..becasue they are Jatt, Punjabi, born in Sikh families.Thats the complete Qualification LIST for such SIKHS.

The other type..like Bill gates may not have even heard of Guru Nanak..have never visited a Gurdwara..or worn a dastaar or beard..know no punjabi or anything like thta..YET their "ACTIONS"..Kirt karnee Waand Chhaknna, do Good donate generously etc etc..maybe qualify them a LOT more to be SIKH than the jatt punjabi clean shaven munda singing filthy songs on stage but still SIKH !! This SECOND type has way more chance of becoming a GURSIKH than the First type..they are SUNK.

Just my opinions Jios..no offense to anyone. I Personally KNOW a lot of SIKHS of the SECOND category who i respect much more than the First type...

Reply by Palaingtha to S. Jarnail Singh Ji's reply to my comments.

I inadvertently typed AWARD instead of REWARD. I am of the opinion that what is honestly reasonable is good enough. When you say that the Manja prepared by a local carpenter who made a better Manja than factory manufactured Manjas for which you paid double the price of Factory made. The price you paid is reasonable. The carpenter and your goodself seem to be very satisfied.This is fair trade. The carpenter is not expecting more than what he is getting.
Regarding the Sikhs going to Muslim Graves and Hindu Mandirs and doing all such things that are not acceptable in Sikhism, I will call them fragile Sikhs. They have no moral strength and can be easily molded from their chosen/by birth religion to any other and other. Yet they are still Sikhs. You may say their belief in Sikhism is not strong.While those who do not believe in Sikhism are not Sikhs. It is our weakness our Sikh brothers are going astray and for this state of affairs our leadership/religious personalities are to be blamed.
Allow me to discuss two (of many) instances:-
1) Our Head Granthi at Darbar Sahib about four five months back recited REHRAS SAHIB as if were reading Poetry in his solitude. Now he has been corrected. Still he falls again like poetry reciting. In Bhupinder Singh Nagar, Delhi,(not a posh colony), there is a small colony Gurdwara and the Bhai Sahib, a young man of about 30, recites REHRAS SAHIB very accurately.
2) A Sikh comes along on his car and stops by a Peeple Tree under which there is a tomb like structure. He stops his car and goes to the tree and with folded hands preys facing towards tomb-like structure. Now this Tomb like structure is nothing but a small structure made by one whose land had been acquired by the Govt. and he wanted to hold this place as his and he built a tomb like structure. It was not a tomb. This Sardar was very fragile Sikh because he succumbed to believe that the thing is SAVIOUR.
I think he has not been brought up in True Sikh family and also was never in near proximity of true Sikh religious practices.
I do agree with you that many of the so called Sikhs having Sikh appearance do not have an iota of their religion and such Sikhs go to Mazars, Hindu Mandirs, practice Hindu Karam Kand and believe the "RAM" mentioned in GGS is Ram Chander of Ramayana. Ignorant people.
Kuldip Singh Lamba

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Ignorant people.
I used to be one of those ignorant people, the trouble is, no one questions anymore, if some old beardy in a solemn voice tells you to do something, you tend to do it. I do not think it is ignorance per se, I think it is because Sikhs are too trusting. 99% of Sikhs at Amritsar will do the same to the area where Baba Deep Singh fought, the same number will have Guru's photos and pictures in the house, to them that is Sikhism. They are not ignorant people, although what they are doing is certainly ignorant. The problem lies with those at the top, until the message is clear and shouted from every Gurudwara, this ignorance will only get worse, until the rest of us are viewed as heretics, oh, wait a minute, too late..................

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
I used to be one of those ignorant people, the trouble is, no one questions anymore, if some old beardy in a solemn voice tells you to do something, you tend to do it. I do not think it is ignorance per se, I think it is because Sikhs are too trusting. 99% of Sikhs at Amritsar will do the same to the area where Baba Deep Singh fought, the same number will have Guru's photos and pictures in the house, to them that is Sikhism. They are not ignorant people, although what they are doing is certainly ignorant. The problem lies with those at the top, until the message is clear and shouted from every Gurudwara, this ignorance will only get worse, until the rest of us are viewed as heretics, oh, wait a minute, too late..................

I used to be (and sometimes still fall into the trap) that used to judge others...those sikhs should be like this, and they should be like that...and they 'haven't got a clue' etc etc etc...

and then i realised that in life...we are not here to judge anyone else...but here to only judge ourselves...to drive out our own negatives. People get stuck in 'looking outward' at everyone else.

If every single person on the planet changed even just one negative aspect of their character into a positve, how the world would change for the better in a single moment

naanak parakhae aap ko thaa paarakh jaan ||
O Nanak, if someone judges himself, only then is he known as a real judge. SGGS Ji 148

"if you want to make the world a better place...take a look at yourself and make a change"
Michael Jackson (man in the mirror)

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
I used to be (and sometimes still fall into the trap) that used to judge others...those sikhs should be like this, and they should be like that...and they 'haven't got a clue' etc etc etc...

and then i realised that in life...we are not here to judge anyone else...but here to only judge ourselves...to drive out our own negatives. People get stuck in 'looking outward' at everyone else.

If every single person on the planet changed even just one negative aspect of their character into a positve, how the world would change for the better in a single moment

naanak parakhae aap ko thaa paarakh jaan ||
O Nanak, if someone judges himself, only then is he known as a real judge. Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji 148

"if you want to make the world a better place...take a look at yourself and make a change"
Michael Jackson (man in the mirror)

Chazji, my old nemesis, I have missed you, welcome back

Lots of things are written, lots of things are stated, but these are all meaningless unless one has formulated a filtering system, a testing system, so that one can see forward.

I am not a great lover of Sakhis, and certainly not to prove a point, however, if we are to take the Sakhi of Guru Nanakji watering his crops in the Punjab, to show others the pointless aspect of ritual, where does that fit in with your thoughts?

Worship of anything other than Creator is frowned upon in Sikhism, that much is gospel, and cannot be argued against, how do you propose we correct people that worship all and sundry, yet call themselves Sikhs?

Last edited:

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
Chazji, my old nemesis, I have missed you, welcome back

Lots of things are written, lots of things are stated, but these are all meaningless unless one has formulated a filtering system, a testing system, so that one can see forward.

I am not a great lover of Sakhis, and certainly not to prove a point, however, if we are to take the Sakhi of Guru Nanakji watering his crops in the Punjab, to show others the pointless aspect of ritual, where does that fit in with your thoughts?

Worship of anything other than Creator is frowned upon in Sikhism, that much is gospel, and cannot be argued against, how do you propose we correct people that worship all and sundry, yet call themselves Sikhs?

Guru Nanak dev ji was 'complete purity of spirit' ... god walking the earth.

sathigur hathh nibaerr jhagarr chukaaeiaa ||
The judgement is in the Hands of the True Guru, who puts an end to the argument. 139

There is a big difference in Guru Nanak dev ji judging others, compared to me and you judging others....

Only through ones own purity of actions can others learn to better themselves...so the priority is to always better oneself and then our purity spreads to others through our own actions and behavior and the following effect occurs:

cha(n)dhan bhagathaa joth einaehee sarabae paramal karanaa ||2||
The Lord's devotees are like sandalwood, which imparts its fragrance to everyone. ||2|| SGGS Ji p721

Thats not to say that we shouldnt point out whats right and wrong to others if it's so plainly obvious...but on how many occasions when we tell someone that they're doing wrong do they reply "why would i listen to you, you do this and that youself" ... if we purify our own actions first, people would be more receptive and also learn from us.

Hence why if you feel you are doing something good and with good intentions like giving away a laptop...you should continue to do those things regardless of whatever anyone else says :) maybe one day they will learn from you.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Guru Nanak dev ji was 'complete purity of spirit' ... god walking the earth.

I disagree, he was a normal man, if he were God walking the earth, we would worship him, which we do not. He had attained a super knowledge and wisdom, this does not mean he was God, could do miracles, or anything other than know truly who he was, which is the goal for all of us.

There is a big difference in Guru Nanak dev ji judging others, compared to me and you judging others....

Guru Nanak went out of his way to expose ritual as empty practice, ritual is not hard to spot, I for one wish there were more Sikhs who would stand up and say, 'know what, this is not in the essence of Sikhism, should we be doing this' rather than watch from the sidelines

Only through ones own purity of actions can others learn to better themselves...so the priority is to always better oneself and then our purity spreads to others through our own actions and behavior and the following effect occurs:

cha(n)dhan bhagathaa joth einaehee sarabae paramal karanaa ||2||
The Lord's devotees are like sandalwood, which imparts its fragrance to everyone. ||2|| Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji p721

There are two issues here, personal and panthic. I believe we owe a duty to the panth to set precedents, to educate, to expose, again, it is up to the individual if they wish to spend their time only on themselves, or on returning Sikhism to its former glory. To substantiate what that glory is, the building blocks are quite simple, truth, bravery, only one God, I don't think we can disagree on this, actually, thats a lie, I am sure we can lol

Thats not to say that we shouldnt point out whats right and wrong to others if it's so plainly obvious...but on how many occasions when we tell someone that they're doing wrong do they reply "why would i listen to you, you do this and that youself" ... if we purify our own actions first, people would be more receptive and also learn from us.

How do we then point at the Emperor and exclaim he has no clothes?

Where do you draw the line? Should we agree with all the fake Babas? Should we agree with the clown Dhadrianwale? Are these people likely to learn from us? I think not

Hence why if you feel you are doing something good and with good intentions like giving away a laptop...you should continue to do those things regardless of whatever anyone else says :) maybe one day they will learn from you.

impossible, any good deed cannot be talked about, or shared with the world, I shared it here purely for reasons of debate, the only person that learned anything was the person who took it, and even then, I did not do it for him, I did it for Creator, and possibly for myself.

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
I disagree, he was a normal man, if he were God walking the earth, we would worship him, which we do not. He had attained a super knowledge and wisdom, this does not mean he was God, could do miracles, or anything other than know truly who he was, which is the goal for all of us.

ma(n)nae kee gath kehee n jaae ||
The state of the faithful cannot be described. Jap 3

Guru Nanak went out of his way to expose ritual as empty practice, ritual is not hard to spot, I for one wish there were more Sikhs who would stand up and say, 'know what, this is not in the essence of Sikhism, should we be doing this' rather than watch from the sidelines

I agree, but would you listen to someone that doesnt practice what he preaches? No. therefore the purer we are ourselves the better the chance that others will take note and listen

There are two issues here, personal and panthic. I believe we owe a duty to the panth to set precedents, to educate, to expose, again, it is up to the individual if they wish to spend their time only on themselves, or on returning Sikhism to its former glory. To substantiate what that glory is, the building blocks are quite simple, truth, bravery, only one God, I don't think we can disagree on this, actually, thats a lie, I am sure we can lol

The 'ism' in sikh 'ism' is man made...a true sikh (as you are wondering where they are) is someone that is 'seeking the truth'. A truth seeker eventually realises that he will not find the truth on the outside...and as SGGS Ji explains we must search for the truth 'within'. A true sikh is an explorer of his own consciousness seeking his true self, god and guru.
With the 'seeking' he attains the truth, understands true bravery (like you said) and then helps others to seek the truth also.

There are many True Sikhs out there....many on this forum as well...and they may make mistakes a long the way, but it is all part of the journey through duality to undetanding all that is...all part of the 'seeking process'.

Even the family member that tells you off for giving away a laptop is a 'seeker' a (sikh), and by your good actions they may learn something about 'giving' and 'sharing'. if they don't then they will one day...we all go at different paces on this journey.

How do we then point at the Emperor and exclaim he has no clothes?

Where do you draw the line? Should we agree with all the fake Babas? Should we agree with the clown Dhadrianwale? Are these people likely to learn from us? I think not.
We live in a world of Duality (this is the experience we all go through). A world of opposites...god/bad...hot/cold...slim/fat etc etc.
There will always be good people and there will always be bad people (part of duality)
A True sikh is one that shines the light like a lighthouse and helps and guides as many people as possibleA lighthouse that is not functioning properly itself isnt going to be much good to anyone is it?
This is why a 'Seeker of Truth' must also seek the truth that exists within himself and become the truth himself and then help others also

I believe any good we do has a 'ripple effect'...we make someone smile..they get into a happier mood...their interactions with other people that day become better and happier...and it spreads...and spreads.

That much i hope we can agree on :)

impossible, any good deed cannot be talked about, or shared with the world, I shared it here purely for reasons of debate, the only person that learned anything was the person who took it, and even then, I did not do it for him, I did it for Creator, and possibly for myself.
How about we stop doing things for the creator and self and do nice things naturally and without a seconds thought because its the 'right thing to do' - thats what our real true self would do....and thats what we're seeking as a True Sikh.
I think with your laptop example, you instinctively did something good...i hope i can become like that also...and do more things like that.

Sometimes mentioning a good deed inspires another. mentioning without any Ego of self achievment becomes mentioning something with just love.

The above is just from my understanding and experience of gurbani...and it may or may not be in-line with the truth...but as a truth seeker i'll surely make mistakes on the way :)

God bless

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Chazji
I would be lying if I said I did not enjoy our debates, I do, and I find you a formidable debater, I hope you do not find my replies personal in any way, as I hold you in very high esteem

Firstly, please please try and quote and reply, it makes the post much much easier to read, rather than typing in blue.

I agree, but would you listen to someone that doesnt practice what he preaches? No. therefore the purer we are ourselves the better the chance that others will take note and listen

How do we know? one who thinks of himself as pure is automatically disqualified lol lol lol

The 'ism' in sikh 'ism' is man made...a true sikh (as you are wondering where they are) is someone that is 'seeking the truth'. A truth seeker eventually realises that he will not find the truth on the outside...and as Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji explains we must search for the truth 'within'. A true sikh is an explorer of his own consciousness seeking his true self, god and guru.
With the 'seeking' he attains the truth, understands true bravery (like you said) and then helps others to seek the truth also.

Hmm sorry, I think this lacks as a definition. You could apply this definition to the matted haired yogis with better conviction! In my view a true Sikh is someone who applies the facets of the SGGS into his daily life, without ritual or show. Why does one need to know oneself when one has Hukam? Embrace Hukam, you soon find out who you are :), the truth is not that hard to find, the truth is harder to live though, maybe thats why people search inward, they are looking for a more palatable truth

There will always be good people and there will always be bad people (part of duality)

I find the majority of Sikhs neither good, nor bad, but following a strain of Sikhism that bears has little in common with what it should be, that does not make them good or bad, just misinformed.

A True sikh is one that shines the light like a lighthouse and helps and guides as many people as possibleA lighthouse that is not functioning properly itself isnt going to be much good to anyone is it?
This is why a 'Seeker of Truth' must also seek the truth that exists within himself and become the truth himself and then help others also

YOu must remember that on this forum, I behave different to real life, in real life, I do not discuss my own opinions, I listen. Here, if I find an opinion at odds with mine, like yours, I can debate, that is different. I do not believe it is for a true Sikh to do anything other than act within Hukam. If through this, others take on board a message great, but it is the Hukam that is the most important.

I believe any good we do has a 'ripple effect'...we make someone smile..they get into a happier mood...their interactions with other people that day become better and happier...and it spreads...and spreads.

That much i hope we can agree on :)

absolutely

How about we stop doing things for the creator and self and do nice things naturally and without a seconds thought because its the 'right thing to do' - thats what our real true self would do....and thats what we're seeking as a True Sikh.

How would you know what you are doing is nice? If a child asks for an expensive toy, is it right you should instantly provide? If someone asks to borrow a thousand pounds, should you just lend it, or give it? By following Hukam, which is the will of Creator, where everything is done for Creator, you get a jist of what is the right thing to do, otherwise, what you may think is the right thing, may be the wrong thing.......

I
think with your laptop example, you instinctively did something good...i hope i can become like that also...and do more things like that.

Its no big deal, it was going in the bin, my wife however, has a heart 20 times bigger than mine, and she gives naturally, not as part of Hukam, which is why we are broke and I have to drive a Hyundai. Neither of us, to my parents shame, have any real value for money, which is why my family does not understand, as they have to keep bailing us out, so I only assist others now when it does not cost me anything, as I feel borrowing to give is not within Hukam.

God bless you too brother

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
Chazji
I would be lying if I said I did not enjoy our debates, I do, and I find you a formidable debater, I hope you do not find my replies personal in any way, as I hold you in very high esteem
it's just friendly debate :)

Firstly, please please try and quote and reply, it makes the post much much easier to read, rather than typing in blue.

I'm not sure how to use the multiquote option :) ??

How do we know? one who thinks of himself as pure is automatically disqualified lol lol lol
No one would state they are pure or purer...but usually i tend to listen to friends who have a good nature...they say things sometimes that strike you deep within...sometimes you just know you've heard the truth from them....or they do something infront of you (not for show-but just their natural character) and you know they did a good deed and it makes you want to be more like that...

Hmm sorry, I think this lacks as a definition. You could apply this definition to the matted haired yogis with better conviction! In my view a true Sikh is someone who applies the facets of the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji into his daily life, without ritual or show. Why does one need to know oneself when one has Hukam? Embrace Hukam, you soon find out who you are :), the truth is not that hard to find, the truth is harder to live though, maybe thats why people search inward, they are looking for a more palatable truth

people search inward because they want to explore who they are...and thats how gurbani tells us we can do this. We come into this world to experience opposites (duality)....hot/cold anger/love hate/compasion attachment/freedom, good/bad etc etc
A bigger part of this experience of oppisites is the experience of temporary and permanent .... both opposite experiences....and in-order for us to understand the ever-lasting (god/soul) we needed to experience the temporary.
The everlasting component within us is our Soul....why should we not want to understand and experience it? after-all it is our real self.

I find the majority of Sikhs neither good, nor bad, but following a strain of Sikhism that bears has little in common with what it should be, that does not make them good or bad, just misinformed.
i think it's all part of the experience...in duality we have to taste falsehood to understand the truth...both have to exist and both experience raise our awareness and consciousness.

YOu must remember that on this forum, I behave different to real life, in real life, I do not discuss my own opinions, I listen. Here, if I find an opinion at odds with mine, like yours, I can debate, that is different. I do not believe it is for a true Sikh to do anything other than act within Hukam. If through this, others take on board a message great, but it is the Hukam that is the most important.

acting in hukam naturally is i believe the true state...spontaneusly, without thought. Many people do this because they are told to do so, for a better spot in heaven...but there character may still be bad.
Gurbani can tell you to act a certain way...and you may practice it...but i feel when you uncover your soul, you start to do things intuitively, spontaneously, naturally...whatever you want to call it.

How would you know what you are doing is nice? If a child asks for an expensive toy, is it right you should instantly provide? If someone asks to borrow a thousand pounds, should you just lend it, or give it? By following Hukam, which is the will of Creator, where everything is done for Creator, you get a jist of what is the right thing to do, otherwise, what you may think is the right thing, may be the wrong thing.......

Sometimes from inside youself in a certain situation you get this gut feeling, or a sense of wanting to do something and you just know it's the perfect thing to do or the right thing to do...it feels natural.

othertimes, the mind takes over...thinks too much (as it works in time and space)...makes excuses, doubts, followed by fear, anxiety...and we make a decision which doesnt really feel right...and often causes problems in our lifes...stress etc.

I believe The first example comes from the soul....the second from the mind...i know which example i would rather happen more often. As you enravel your soul, intuition increases (as in the first example)

Its no big deal, it was going in the bin, my wife however, has a heart 20 times bigger than mine, and she gives naturally, not as part of Hukam, which is why we are broke and I have to drive a Hyundai. Neither of us, to my parents shame, have any real value for money, which is why my family does not understand, as they have to keep bailing us out, so I only assist others now when it does not cost me anything, as I feel borrowing to give is not within Hukam.

love, compassion, forgiveness, helping, giving, sharing selflessly only happens with hukam....it's the soul's natural way...that is the true hukam and true will of God.
you should only give within your means. a person that gives £10 to charity is no less that a person that gives £1000 ... if it's given within your means, sent with love and for no ego-trip.

God bless you too brother

God bless

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN
Off-topic: ChazSingh ji, please use quotes to respond to messages. Otherwise it is becoming that much harder to understand, who is writing what. Simply copy, paste & them select the text in the quick reply box and click the quote button
quote.gif
from toolbar in Quick reply box below. As simple as that. Thank you so much!

Gurfateh!

:)

namjiwankaur

SPNer
Nov 14, 2010
USA
Aman Singh ji

I couldn't figure out how to do it either. Thanks for your help.

:sippingcoffeemunda:

Off-topic: ChazSingh ji, please use quotes to respond to messages. Otherwise it is becoming that much harder to understand, who is writing what. Simply copy, paste & them select the text in the quick reply box and click the quote button
quote.gif
from toolbar in Quick reply box below. As simple as that. Thank you so much!

Gurfateh!

:)

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
i
t's just friendly debate :)

yes it is!

No one would state they are pure or purer...but usually i tend to listen to friends who have a good nature...they say things sometimes that strike you deep within...sometimes you just know you've heard the truth from them....or they do something infront of you (not for show-but just their natural character) and you know they did a good deed and it makes you want to be more like that...

You have a better view of people than me, maybe my life experience has made me cynical, I suppose I expect nothing from people, in fact I am suspicious of anyone with a good nature, I wonder what they are hiding. However, I try and deal with people as per Hukam. Give me animals and computers anyday lol. My problem, and my wife has it worse, is that we can feel anothers pain very acutely, my wife is fortunate that she can feel and share anothers happiness in just the same way, but I do not seem to feel this. Good deeds in itself is an oxy{censored}, you were correct in another post when you said that to do such should come naturally, I agree, then all deeds are good, and that becomes a way of life, However, I do mine out of a sense of responsability and duty to Creation, wife does so out of love.

people search inward because they want to explore who they are...and thats how gurbani tells us we can do this. We come into this world to experience opposites (duality)....hot/cold anger/love hate/compasion attachment/freedom, good/bad etc etc
A bigger part of this experience of oppisites is the experience of temporary and permanent .... both opposite experiences....and in-order for us to understand the ever-lasting (god/soul) we needed to experience the temporary.
The everlasting component within us is our Soul....why should we not want to understand and experience it? after-all it is our real self.

Yes, I do agree with this, it is important to know who you are, although I feel we come into this world to make a difference, rather than any personal development. I would like to think through serving Creation, we become a servant to Creation, and through this we know ourselves. I would imagine you use meditation for the same.I worry sometimes when I read your posts, I feel like tying a rope to your ankles so you do not drift too far away from real life and lose yourself in the living death. Living is very important, and when one has family and friends, one cannot afford to become too detatched from reality.

i think it's all part of the experience...in duality we have to taste falsehood to understand the truth...both have to exist and both experience raise our awareness and consciousness.

It is easy to dismiss this, but then, I have tasted more falsehood than many, and I do put my current state down to my past, so you may be correct,

acting in hukam naturally is i believe the true state...spontaneusly, without thought. Many people do this because they are told to do so, for a better spot in heaven...but there character may still be bad.
Gurbani can tell you to act a certain way...and you may practice it...but i feel when you uncover your soul, you start to do things intuitively, spontaneously, naturally...whatever you want to call it.

There is a comic book called Asterix and the Normans, it is about the Normans, they do not feel fear, they have no concept of fear, the comic argues that one cannot be truly brave until one has faced fear, not knowing fear does not qualify, as this not bravery, it is lack of fear. I feel anyone who does things for heaven is deluded, but I disagree that Hukam should be natural, if it were, what new is there to be learnt? I believe Hukam is a daily test, of your discipline, your morals, to make the right choices, I personally follow Hukam because I am tired of making the wrong decisions, bankruptcy, illness, prison, are all a great education, at some point you tire of the cost of your decisions, you give yourself up to a higher guide, its why I have no friends, my best friend is my Guru, he is kind of a hard act to follow. lol

Sometimes from inside youself in a certain situation you get this gut feeling, or a sense of wanting to do something and you just know it's the perfect thing to do or the right thing to do...it feels natural.

this to me is Hukam

othertimes, the mind takes over...thinks too much (as it works in time and space)...makes excuses, doubts, followed by fear, anxiety...and we make a decision which doesnt really feel right...and often causes problems in our lifes...stress etc.

and this is my dear wolf, when I was younger, the howling would not go away until I had satisfied it by making wrong decisions.

I believe The first example comes from the soul....the second from the mind...i know which example i would rather happen more often. As you enravel your soul, intuition increases (as in the first example)

I am uncomfortable with this splitting of myself, it starts to beg the question 'who am i?'

I believe there is me, there is Guru, and there are the thieves, who make up my wolf. I try and do Guruji's bidding, sometimes I have to prowl the night naked howling at the moon and tasting the sweet blood of a freshly killed rabbit. It is not a battle anymore, I wonder if as per your above para about Hukam being completely natural, whether that would involve the loss of my wolf. The essence of wolf is minimal these days.

love, compassion, forgiveness, helping, giving, sharing selflessly only happens with hukam....it's the soul's natural way...that is the true hukam and true will of God.
you should only give within your means. a person that gives £10 to charity is no less that a person that gives £1000 ... if it's given within your means, sent with love and for no ego-trip.

I hate being thanked, and I hate fuss, my problem is the pain I feel when I see others in pain. I find it hard to walk by, not because I am a good person, I just have an empathy with anyone in distress, I guess I know how it feels to be homeless, broke, cold, hungry, I know the desperation, and having been there, how can I walk by someone in the same situation. Its not about what you give, I think its about what you do, to my mind, I did not give someone a laptop, I spent 3 hours loading it up with software, that is the true value, and that is what I gave, 3 hours. Why did I do it? I believe Creator sent him my way, and I did it for Creator. I believe Creator sends a lot of people my way, and it is my duty to treat them well. Not to make Creator happy, or even for the person, but to remain in consonance with Creation. To put something back into the big swirly thing we call life, and know what? I meet Harry's everyday, I meet Harry when he was 11, when he was 17, 23, 29, 35, 40, I keep meeting him, and when I look into peoples eyes sometimes, I see Harry looking back at me, and knowing what Harry turns into, I try my best to help, to guide, to warn of the dangers of a free Wolf.

We have just bought 2 puppies, as we are just about able to stand on our own two feet again after 2 years, it was a big decision, it means we are unable now to ask for bail outs, in fact, I have even been looking at 2nd hand range rovers!

Many thanks for your reply, I enjoyed writing this

God bless you brother

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
You have a better view of people than me, maybe my life experience has made me cynical, I suppose I expect nothing from people, in fact I am suspicious of anyone with a good nature, I wonder what they are hiding. However, I try and deal with people as per Hukam. Give me animals and computers anyday lol.
I always think of a scenario....when i die...god asks me.."what happened in your life" ... i say "people often said bad things to me" god says "so what did you do?" i say "i hit them back verbally twice as hard" god says "so you learnt to be just like them? actually worse than them?"
point is...i can't control how others behave...but i can decide how i myself react.

Last winter, my life was threatened by someone...normally i would have re-acted with the same...this time i thought i'd try forgiving, and re-acting in a humble way ... we shall see how things develop.
This doesnt mean i will not defend myself if needs be...but i will try other things before. I also imagine how my Simran would be affected if i was filled with rage.

Yes, I do agree with this, it is important to know who you are, although I feel we come into this world to make a difference, rather than any personal development.
Think how much a child has to develop physically and intellectually to be of service to the community in the adult years. In the same way if we raise our consciosness and awareness even beyond what it is now like guru ji says, imagine how much more usefull we would be to the people around us. This is just my belief though.

I would imagine you use meditation for the same.I worry sometimes when I read your posts, I feel like tying a rope to your ankles so you do not drift too far away from real life and lose yourself in the living death. Living is very important, and when one has family and friends, one cannot afford to become too detatched from reality.
As they say "the proof is in the pudding" - i can never turn my back on simran and meditation because i know what i've experienced and how it's changed my life for the better....

I believe Hukam is a daily test, of your discipline, your morals, to make the right choices, I personally follow Hukam because I am tired of making the wrong decisions, bankruptcy, illness, prison, are all a great education, at some point you tire of the cost of your decisions, you give yourself up to a higher guide, its why I have no friends, my best friend is my Guru, he is kind of a hard act to follow. lol
through your experiences, you start to ask some deeper questions about life and you're very active on this forum...your seeking has been sparked.
The guru is at work within you. i'm sure of it.

and this is my dear wolf, when I was younger, the howling would not go away until I had satisfied it by making wrong decisions.
I've made many a wrong decision myself...but i feel i am a better person for having experienced those things...to know something is wrong, we sometimes have to do it and experience it to realise it...it's just part of this whole setup. When those wrong things occur, we hate the world...but i believe when we see those experiences from a higher perspective we will be thankful for it all one day.

It's like people say 'Drugs are bad'...who will have a better understanding of 'drugs are bad'?
a. someone who has never taken any drugs or never interacted with someone else who is on drugs
b. someone who has taken drugs and had bad experiences
c. someone who has interacted with a drug taker and seen it's consequences

i would say B and C are more aware and conscious of why 'drugs are bad' ... if they LEARN from those experiences they will be better for it than person A will ever be.

I believe there is me, there is Guru, and there are the thieves, who make up my wolf.
you have just divided youself into 2 seperate units...there is you(self/soul) and the thieves (mind generated). the process of simran isnt to empty the mind, or to stop it from chattering...it's to just be able to ignore it's nonsense and withdraw your attention from it.

Like trying to watch a football match whilst your wife is trying to fill you in with all the family gossip...you withdraw your attention from your wifes chatter and move it towards the T.V :) the wife is still talking...but you notice her less, and you're able to give more focus to the football.

Same with simran, the mind still chatters, but it's less noticeable to you and your attention goes to the things you maybe didnt hear or see due to the chatter of the mind...you'll be amazed at what you find.

We have just bought 2 puppies, as we are just about able to stand on our own two feet again after 2 years, it was a big decision, it means we are unable now to ask for bail outs, in fact, I have even been looking at 2nd hand range rovers!
Range rovers are great...hope you find one you like.

[/QUOTE]

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
Nope, I don't think I have ever read any of your posts that were that agreeable, I did try one point, but ended up arguing your point instead so I gave up.

I feel a great loss..............

The title of the thread is where have all the true Sikhs gone, in each of our own ways, you through simran, and me through sewa, we must feel an essence of Sikhism that those that go through motions must not be aware of, what are your thoughts on that, and how much is it our responsibility to try and share the bliss of what we have found with such people?

I feel it's all about our own awareness...as our awareness increases we may share with others what we may have learnt.
If we remain in a house, we can only share information about the house...we wonder into the street, then we can return to the house and inspire others to wonder into the street, some may do, others may stay in their comfort zone (which is not a bad thing...their time will come when it's their destiny)...

But, We can never say we know it all....for we may later learn that beyond the street are more streets... a town, city etc etc.

some of the views i have posted before have changed...it's part of the evolution of us spiritually...part of the fun i think.

all we can do is inspire each other if we can...our experiences may all be different but that just confirms the infinite nature of God.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
nope nothing there to disagree with, its over Chazji, somethings changed, arguing with you is not the same as it used to be...............

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN
Aman Singh ji

I couldn't figure out how to do it either. Thanks for your help.

:sippingcoffeemunda:

For example, the following is the message you want to quote!

Many members at SPN, come from various religious & cultural backgrounds and may have variable conflicting opinions. Religion & Philosophy are general but unique for each person"s understanding and progress. If you disagree, simply accept the difference and ask for information you may not know. UN-necessary bragging, trash-talk, childish arguments only take us away from the topic in hand. Please avoid them at any cost or deletions or warnings will follow.

Select First line, copy & paste below:

[quote ]Many members at SPN, come from various religious & cultural backgrounds and may have variable conflicting opinions.[/QUOTE ]

Now, select the above text and use
quote.gif
button from the toolbar right above the quick reply message box as shown in the image below. Submit your message will give the following result.

View attachment 6698

Many members at SPN, come from various religious & cultural backgrounds and may have variable conflicting opinions.
I hope it helps.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: