Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

What's The Exact Meaning Of Sangat....

Discussion in 'Questions and Answers' started by Hardip Singh, Feb 14, 2015.

1. Hardip Singh

Hardip Singh India
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

Could someone guide me the exact meanings of word Sangat ?
    Is listening to Keertan and Kathas at home on TV or thro any electronic media in todays world means same as Sangat at Gurdwara sahib? Since we do the same at Gurdwaras. So what 's the difference except a community gathering.
    Pl advise.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    USA What's the United States Up To in Asia? Breaking News Nov 19, 2011
    What's his name? (Dhadrianwale?) Questions and Answers Jul 31, 2011
    What's the right thing to do? General Jun 12, 2011
    SciTech What's in Store for Technology in 2011? Breaking News Dec 19, 2010
    What's So Funny About Outsourcing? Business, Lifestyle & Leisure Oct 28, 2010

3. Hardip Singh

Hardip Singh India
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

#2 Hardip Singh, Feb 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2015
  4. Tejwant Singh

Tejwant Singh United States
    Expand Collapse
    Mentor Writer SPNer Contributor

Hardip Singh ji,

Guru Fateh.

Here is my 2 cent worth. People who visit Gurdwaras in India do it for different reasons than in the diaspora in my opinion. In the former, it is a personal quest/ritual/chiliah etc. etc. Mind you the latter two are anti Sikhi.

People in the diaspora do it for social and personal reasons because Gurdwara is the only place where they can meet once/twice a week.

Now, coming back to you question about Sangat, Sangh means company in Sanskrit. So, in my opinion, one has to do sangat (self-contemplation) with oneself first. Then the rest is gravy, the icing on the cake. I personally do not like kathas because it has to be spiced up a lot for people to "savour" it which makes the kathavachak add his "own spices" in the guise of fairy tales and other made up stories about Guru Sahibs. As a result, the listeners end up remembering the anecdotes- the fairy tales added-, than the real Gurmat.

Thanks & regards

Tejwant Singh

• Like Like x 4