Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

Sign Up Now!

What's the difference?

Discussion in 'Information Technology' started by Teri, Jul 28, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Teri

    Teri
    Expand Collapse
    Guest

    Two questions:

    1. What is the difference between a .mdb file and a .mde file?

    2. Also, would an Access For Windows 95 for Dummies book be sufficient in
    helping me out with the basics of Access 2003? Or are there a lot of big
    differences?

    Thank you!!

    Teri.
     
  2. Loading...

    Similar Threads Forum Date
    What's The Exact Meaning Of Sangat.... Questions and Answers Feb 14, 2015
    USA What's the United States Up To in Asia? Breaking News Nov 19, 2011
    What's his name? (Dhadrianwale?) Questions and Answers Jul 31, 2011
    What's the right thing to do? General Jun 12, 2011
    SciTech What's in Store for Technology in 2011? Breaking News Dec 19, 2010

  3. Sprinks

    Sprinks
    Expand Collapse
    Guest

    Teri,

    An .mde file operates the same as an .mdb, except it does not permit changes
    to forms, reports, etc. It is how a developer would often distribute an
    application to prevent the users from altering and potentially damaging an
    application.

    The appropriate reference depends on how you work with Access. If you are
    not developing applications, the book you mention and others might be
    adequate. As a developer, I couldn't imagine living without the Access
    Developer's Handbook by Litwin et al. Most people I know like to browse the
    bookstore aisle and find one that suits their level and readability style.

    Hope that helps.
    Sprinks


    "Teri" wrote:

    > Two questions:
    >
    > 1. What is the difference between a .mdb file and a .mde file?
    >
    > 2. Also, would an Access For Windows 95 for Dummies book be sufficient in
    > helping me out with the basics of Access 2003? Or are there a lot of big
    > differences?
    >
    > Thank you!!
    >
    > Teri.
     
  4. Tony Toews

    Tony Toews
    Expand Collapse
    Guest

    Sprinks <Sprinks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Most people I know like to browse the
    >bookstore aisle and find one that suits their level and readability style.


    <name dropping> I did that a while back and was amused to notice that
    I've now met about half the authors of the more advanced Access books
    in person. </name dropping>

    Tony
    --
    Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
    Please respond only in the newsgroups so that others can
    read the entire thread of messages.
    Microsoft Access Links, Hints, Tips & Accounting Systems at
    http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm
     
  5. Teri

    Teri
    Expand Collapse
    Guest

    Thanks Sprinks! If I make a copy of an .mde file can I convert it to an .mdb
    file so that I can tinker with it? The person who created the file is no
    longer with the company and the department I work may want some additional
    work done to it.

    Thanks again,

    Teri.

    "Sprinks" wrote:

    > Teri,
    >
    > An .mde file operates the same as an .mdb, except it does not permit changes
    > to forms, reports, etc. It is how a developer would often distribute an
    > application to prevent the users from altering and potentially damaging an
    > application.
    >
    > The appropriate reference depends on how you work with Access. If you are
    > not developing applications, the book you mention and others might be
    > adequate. As a developer, I couldn't imagine living without the Access
    > Developer's Handbook by Litwin et al. Most people I know like to browse the
    > bookstore aisle and find one that suits their level and readability style.
    >
    > Hope that helps.
    > Sprinks
    >
    >
    > "Teri" wrote:
    >
    > > Two questions:
    > >
    > > 1. What is the difference between a .mdb file and a .mde file?
    > >
    > > 2. Also, would an Access For Windows 95 for Dummies book be sufficient in
    > > helping me out with the basics of Access 2003? Or are there a lot of big
    > > differences?
    > >
    > > Thank you!!
    > >
    > > Teri.
     
  6. Sprinks

    Sprinks
    Expand Collapse
    Guest

    Teri,

    No, I'm afraid not. The mde file contains only compiled code, not the
    original source code. You will need the original .mdb file.

    Sprinks

    "Teri" wrote:

    > Thanks Sprinks! If I make a copy of an .mde file can I convert it to an .mdb
    > file so that I can tinker with it? The person who created the file is no
    > longer with the company and the department I work may want some additional
    > work done to it.
    >
    > Thanks again,
    >
    > Teri.
    >
    > "Sprinks" wrote:
    >
    > > Teri,
    > >
    > > An .mde file operates the same as an .mdb, except it does not permit changes
    > > to forms, reports, etc. It is how a developer would often distribute an
    > > application to prevent the users from altering and potentially damaging an
    > > application.
    > >
    > > The appropriate reference depends on how you work with Access. If you are
    > > not developing applications, the book you mention and others might be
    > > adequate. As a developer, I couldn't imagine living without the Access
    > > Developer's Handbook by Litwin et al. Most people I know like to browse the
    > > bookstore aisle and find one that suits their level and readability style.
    > >
    > > Hope that helps.
    > > Sprinks
    > >
    > >
    > > "Teri" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Two questions:
    > > >
    > > > 1. What is the difference between a .mdb file and a .mde file?
    > > >
    > > > 2. Also, would an Access For Windows 95 for Dummies book be sufficient in
    > > > helping me out with the basics of Access 2003? Or are there a lot of big
    > > > differences?
    > > >
    > > > Thank you!!
    > > >
    > > > Teri.
     
  7. Tony Toews

    Tony Toews
    Expand Collapse
    Guest

    Teri <Teri@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Thanks Sprinks! If I make a copy of an .mde file can I convert it to an .mdb
    >file so that I can tinker with it? The person who created the file is no
    >longer with the company and the department I work may want some additional
    >work done to it.


    Actually one outfit states they can do recreate code from MDEs. But
    with restrictions such as they must be convinced you legally own the
    copyright.
    http://www.everythingaccess.com

    Tony

    --
    Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
    Please respond only in the newsgroups so that others can
    read the entire thread of messages.
    Microsoft Access Links, Hints, Tips & Accounting Systems at
    http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm
     

Share This Page