• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Whats That Pain Between Eyebrows When Meditating?

prem judge

SPNer
Dec 17, 2004
Perth
Meditation with eyes closed and concentrating on controlling your thoughts or focusing on something can activate the pituitary gland which can cause this pain and may other sensations. Some claim that this the opening of the tricuti (space between the eyebrows).

When meditating try not to concentrate, instead just relax and it should give you a more pleasant experience. There are numerous methods of meditation and
equally numerous explanations, rules, claims of benefits and beliefs. mho from
personal experience is that meditation should be an easy, effortless and calming experience helping you to relax and recharge your self. Practised correctly it should assist one to clear ones mind, recharge and refreshen ones
self to a point of calmness, peace and clarity.
Hope this helps........

kggr001

SPNer
Nov 3, 2011
Amsterdam
I tried yesterday to meditate, when I'm very focussed my eyes do get strained automatically.

When I try to not strain my eyes then I don't feel the pain, however I was more busy trying to not strain my eyes then actually meditating yesterday.

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
I tried yesterday to meditate, when I'm very focussed my eyes do get strained automatically.

When I try to not strain my eyes then I don't feel the pain, however I was more busy trying to not strain my eyes then actually meditating yesterday.

you'll get there...
i remember getting eye strain in my early meditation days...sometimes it just happens :)

keep doing your naam simran every day...the eye strain will go and you'll eventually have a very focused level of concentration...you will definately see the fruits of your labor..

gur_meet

SPNer
Feb 3, 2010
India, Canada
During my beginning simran days there too was feeling of heaviness on the forehead. So checked sikh literature as . Subedar Bagel Singh in his book also mentioned this . He said the cause is body readjustment and it goes away after some time. It too went away in my case. Focus point still remained an resolved issue as internally I felt that the gurbani no where mentions it . In one book Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh ji mentioned about listening to your own voice and the pull inward. The awareness just goes within but not at any physical organ. In a biography of Baba Sunain Singh the biographer mentioned that they too advised keeping focus behind eyes within the head but not at any physical body part.

Following this method the simran shifted from dryness to Mithas( anand ) within no time with feeling of Hazuri ( presence) . Thereafter more and more experiences.

Now when ever I do any worldly work the awareness is near the eyes. But with a mere remembrance it goes within.

From experience sharing with others lateron the conclusion was that the focus point should not be any body part.

Sherdil

Writer
SPNer
Jan 19, 2014
Meditation with eyes closed and concentrating on controlling your thoughts or focusing on something can activate the pituitary gland which can cause this pain and may other sensations. Some claim that this the opening of the tricuti (space between the eyebrows).

Prem ji,

Do you have any reputable literature to back this up? From my understanding, the pituitary gland is already active. It's role is to secrete hormones, regulated by the Hypothalamus. No amount of conscious effort can activate it or deactivate it. An over active pituitary is actually a cause for concern. It could indicate an adenoma associated with bi-temporal blindness.

I don't understand why you guys criticize science, but then feel the need to include false scientific arguments to back up your claims. Just stick to chakras and third eyes.

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
Prem ji,

Do you have any reputable literature to back this up? From my understanding, the pituitary gland is already active. It's role is to secrete hormones, regulated by the Hypothalamus. No amount of conscious effort can activate it or deactivate it. An over active pituitary is actually a cause for concern. It could indicate an adenoma associated with bi-temporal blindness.

I don't understand why you guys criticize science, but then feel the need to include false scientific arguments to back up your claims. Just stick to chakras and third eyes.

you guys?

only one person has mentioned :)

whether the theory is true or false, mentioning of elements of the physcial body has nothing to do with science...

the body was Constructed by God Alone...so a God seeking person can speak of physical things if He/She so deems necessary.

Science/Physicality/God are not independant...they work hand in hand...only science is limited in what it can and will ever bring to light..

Sorry Harry Ji...we'll get back to the subject now :)

Sherdil

Writer
SPNer
Jan 19, 2014
you guys?

only one person has mentioned :)

whether the theory is true or false, mentioning of elements of the physcial body has nothing to do with science...
What elements are you talking about? The physical body is made of Carbon, Hydrogen, Nitrogen, Oxygen, Iron, Copper, Magnesium, Potassium, Calcium, Sulfur, Sodium, and a plethora of others. These are all firmly within the realm of science.

chazSingh said:
the body was Constructed by God Alone...so a God seeking person can speak of physical things if He/She so deems necessary.
Can a God seeking person be seeking for God in the wrong place?

chazSingh said:
Science/Physicality/God are not independant...they work hand in hand...only science is limited in what it can and will ever bring to light..
But you guys are interpreting science wrong to suit your views. When real science is presented before you, you guys brazenly dismiss it.

chazSingh said:
Sorry Harry Ji...we'll get back to the subject now :)

Awww....c'mon. Don't hide behind Harry ji. OP has already figured out his problem. He was just crossing his eyes too much. You guys thought his chakra was opening. lol lol lol lol

Honestly, I think you are taking advantage of Harry ji's kindness. spnadmin ji wouldn't have tolerated it. I don't think it is a coincidence that all of you have come out of the woodwork since she passed away.

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
Can a God seeking person be seeking for God in the wrong place

We are seeking God where Sikhi tells us to seek God...last time i checked this is a Sikh Philosphy forum isn;t it?

But you guys are interpreting science wrong to suit your views. When real science is presented before you, you guys brazenly dismiss it.

i love science...but as of yet it hasn't answered the questions i long to have answers for...and it will not give me personal experience of the questions i ask

i'm all for science for all other things

Awww....c'mon. Don't hide behind Harry ji. OP has already figured out his problem. He was just crossing his eyes too much. You guys thought his chakra was opening. lol lol lol lol

Honestly, I think you are taking advantage of Harry ji's kindness. spnadmin ji wouldn't have tolerated it. I don't think it is a coincidence that all of you have come out of the woodwork since she passed away

i've been here for many years :)

this is a sikh philosphy forum...so instead of just mocking other members who are trying to ascertain how to seek god within...please give your opinions on how you think this should be done...

and if you think it cannot be done by the methods we describe and we are looking in the wrong location...please come out with Gurbani quotes as to where we can look instead...

this is a sikh philosophy forum :) so be helpful in the pursuit of God Realisation and Self realisation...

kggr001

SPNer
Nov 3, 2011
Amsterdam
Then the same would apply for god, since science isn't able to prove whatever god exists or not.
So according to some here we shouldn't also believe that there is a god right?

aristotle

SPNer
May 10, 2010
Ancient Greece

Not everyone can appreciate the beauty of Science Sherdil Ji. It is both an intellectual and personal quest to see the beauty of nature and try to find out valid answers for natural occurences and phenomena.

aristotle

SPNer
May 10, 2010
Ancient Greece
Then the same would apply for god, since science isn't able to prove whatever god exists or not.
So according to some here we shouldn't also believe that there is a god right?

Science is just a cannon of evergrowing knowledge attained by humankind. And atleast a few, if not many scientists are devoutly religious. Science has never confirmed or rejected God, but it has surely rejected Creationism, Black magic, Supernatural theory of disease etc, and that too with valid proofs....

kggr001

SPNer
Nov 3, 2011
Amsterdam
Science is just a cannon of evergrowing knowledge attained by humankind. And atleast a few, if not many scientists are devoutly religious. Science has never confirmed or rejected God, but it has surely rejected Creationism, Black magic, Supernatural theory of disease etc, and that too with valid proofs....

But wouldn't god be some kind of supernatural force? Can God create a stone so heavy that He cannot move it? Do you see the paradox here? Yet many religions including Sikhism believe that god is omnipotent.

I also do love science but, I don't believe science knows all the answers some answers remain unknown.

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
Not everyone can appreciate the beauty of Science Sherdil Ji. It is both an intellectual and personal quest to see the beauty of nature and try to find out valid answers for natural occurences and phenomena.

i look at nature and see the working of Waheguru Ji...so nothing is supernatural...all is God...external and internal...Gurbani already states this and no one is dissagreeing...

i see science trying to learn as much as it can about what we humans can see, hear, touch, taste and smell...basically anything we can measure...of the creation of Waheguru Ji

this is all great...and its all human nature to ask questions and seek answers

Guru Ji so clearly says...
you fools, you look for God on the outside...seek him within yourself...
God reveals Himself within yourself..
know thyself and you will know God.

So if members want to speak of science...and mock other members who are trying to seek within...

please actually come up with some scientific fact that states God can not be found within...or something that is beneficial for the members of this forum and the members that are participating on this thread...

otherwise the thread just becomes school playground stuff, where the kid with the topnot gets laughed at because he believes in a God and holds that thought deep within his being

aristotle

SPNer
May 10, 2010
Ancient Greece
I also do love science but, I don't believe science knows all the answers some answers remain unknown.

The moment it knows 'all' the answers, all scientific research will end, and that wont ever happen. But does that mean we stop looking for answers? Wont that be outright foolishness?

Science doesnt have all the answers, but it is the same with Religion. Can Religion tell me the structure of gluon, or the phylogeny of Homo sapiens, or the treatment of a ruptured appendix?

Knowledge is knowledge, whatever you name it.

aristotle

SPNer
May 10, 2010
Ancient Greece
But this is a sikhphilosphy forum...and Guru Ji so clearly says...
you fools, you look for God on the outside...seek him within yourself...
God reveals Himself within yourself..
know thyself and you will know God.

I guess Guruji is not discouraging us to learn. He is telling us to shun the outside of 'scriptures, rituals, Dehdharis, False Gods' and realise the God which resides 'inside'. How exactly that translates to solely meditation and concentrating between the eyes is a thing I am yet to understand.

Surely, Guru Granth Sahib does not explain techniques of meditation, they have to learnt from the 'outside' of books, Yoga teachers, friends etc.

kggr001

SPNer
Nov 3, 2011
Amsterdam
Do all religions even agree on the definition of God? I think Sikhi believes God to be a Natural force rather than something 'Super'natural

If he is a force then we should be able to measure it but we can't, so he doesn't exist for now, so Guru's were talking about an Imaginary friend in Sri GGS ji right?

Also it makes no sense, according to Sikhism and other religions god is omnipotent and yet he can't make a stone so heavy that He cannot move it. So Guru's where lying about god being omnipotent right?

There are things we humans can't comprehend. I believe there is an limit to human intellect. We simply cannot comprehend everything. like we can't comprehend god.

God has no logic he created logic for us. We are limited he is not.

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
The moment it knows 'all' the answers, all scientific research will end, and that wont ever happen. But does that mean we stop looking for answers? Wont that be outright foolishness?

Science doesnt have all the answers, but it is the same with Religion. Can Religion tell me the structure of gluon, or the phylogeny of Homo sapiens, or the treatment of a ruptured appendix?

Knowledge is knowledge, whatever you name it.

thats all great ji...
i agree with you...

but again this is a Sikh Philosphy forum - and we are discussin sikh philosophy...of how We seek God within...and the guidance of Guru Ji to seek within...

there are many things in Gurbani that are not in modern science...so unless we are all individually going to design a sceince experiement to prove them in a lab environment...or rely on scientists to do it for us...

...i think many (sikhs) will follow Guru Ji's guidance and do their own personal experiment...

of course this is all subjective...and the world will never believe what the Sikh stumbles across on his journey...

which tells you one thing, and one thing only...Seeking God is not about you proving the existance of God to anyone...it is about getting off ones backside and seeking that experience yourself...and then inspiring people to do the same...

sikh philosophy...lets stick to that...kggr00 is making the endevour to seek god within using Simran and meditation...he is looking within...

do you know of any good ways that He and others can do this...what does gurbani say?

God Bless

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM