• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

What Should Be The AIM Of Life For A Sikh?

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
Veera

I appreciate your sentiment but I don't think our Guru 'needs' disciples, anymore than the sun requires us to sunbathe.

Scarlet ji...

do not twist words :)

I have not said that Guru Ji 'Needs' disciples...

Disciple means 'pupil of a teacher of some sort'

Therefore you Become a disciple by defintion if you are to be follwing Guru Ji;s instruction, guidance and knowledge...Guru Ji doesn't need anything...it is us that require awaking to the complete truth...Guru Ji does this out of love so that we stop wandering aimlessly...

therefore please do not quote words like 'need' as being referenced by myself...as it is clearly not what i said...

anyway

regardless of the above...a person has to be 'willing' and 'awake' to the possibility that there may be more to this reality than meets the eye...

once we are open to this possibility, then Guru Ji will walk a million steps in your direction to start showing you the truth...

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Scarlet ji...

do not twist words :)

I have not said that Guru Ji 'Needs' disciples...

Disciple means 'pupil of a teacher of some sort'

Therefore you Become a disciple by defintion if you are to be follwing Guru Ji;s instruction, guidance and knowledge...Guru Ji doesn't need anything...it is us that require awaking to the complete truth...Guru Ji does this out of love so that we stop wandering aimlessly...

therefore please do not quote words like 'need' as being referenced by myself...as it is clearly not what i said...

anyway

regardless of the above...a person has to be 'willing' and 'awake' to the possibility that there may be more to this reality than meets the eye...

once we are open to this possibility, then Guru Ji will walk a million steps in your direction to start showing you the truth...

I think the quote still stands, Guruji is not asking us to be his disciples anymore than the sun is asking us to bask in its light.

I am not willing nor awake to the possibility that there may be more to this reality than meets the eye, I find that attitude quite elitist.

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
I think the quote still stands, Guruji is not asking us to be his disciples anymore than the sun is asking us to bask in its light.

I am not willing nor awake to the possibility that there may be more to this reality than meets the eye, I find that attitude quite elitist.

A lighthouse shows us the way to safety...ignore it, you run the chance of getting into trouble...follow it;s light and you reach safety..

the lighthouse doesn't 'need' you..

but it is there to help, for anyone that draws their attention towards it...for anyone that is open to trusting it, believing in it...

seriously harry ji....Gurbani is full of quotes from front to back about guru/disciple, teacher/student relationship...

we are the boat in the sea...guru is the lighthouse..

this is not about needing...this is about whether we want to know the complete truth...

you say "I am not willing nor awake to the possibility that there may be more to this reality than meets the eye,"

then that is fine...you're free to go about whatever life you so wish to lead...guru ji said "you are the architect of your destiny' so follow what you want...

but for the ones that are feeling there is maybe something more...Guru will show them..

Scarlet Pimpernel

We seek him here,we sikh
Writer
SPNer
May 31, 2011
In the Self
Veera our thinking is twisted,our reading is twisted even our minds are twisted ,in here please tell me which of us is straighter than another?

Then the question is how can we know that our aim is right when we are for the most part wrong.

Last edited:

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
Veera our thinking is twisted,our reading is twisted even our minds are twisted ,in here please tell me which of us is straighter than another?

Then the question is how can we know that our aim is right when we are for the most part wrong.

For that you have the Sri Guru Granth Sahib...

it is there to challenge your EGO, with thoughts, concepts that your Ego will not like...that your EGO will be quick to sweep under the carpet...because the Sri Guru Granth is there to destroy your ego so that waheguru is seen in us and within everything...

if we don;t trust our own twisted minds...we need to find something to trust in....

it could be seen as 'blind faith' at the beginning because at first we have little proof that what SGGS ji talks about is True...but like any good scientist...you get up and do the experiment and if some of those truths manifest, then you know that this is the REAL DEAL :)

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
ਨਿਰਮਲ ਨਾਮੁ ਸੁਧਾ ਪਰਪੂਰਨ ਸਬਦ ਤਰੰਗ ਪ੍ਰਗਟਿਤ ਦਿਨ ਆਗਰੁ ॥ The Immaculate, Sacred Pool of the Guru is overflowing with the waves of the Shabad, radiantly revealed in the early hours before the dawn.
ਗਹਿਰ ਗੰਭੀਰੁ ਅਥਾਹ ਅਤਿ ਬਡ ਸੁਭਰੁ ਸਦਾ ਸਭ ਬਿਧਿ ਰਤਨਾਗਰੁ ॥ He is Deep and Profound, Unfathomable and utterly Great, eternally overflowing with all sorts of jewels.
ਸੰਤ ਮਰਾਲ ਕਰਹਿ ਕੰਤੂਹਲ ਤਿਨ ਜਮ ਤ੍ਰਾਸ ਮਿਟਿਓ ਦੁਖ ਕਾਗਰੁ ॥ The Saint-swans celebrate; their fear of death is erased, along with the accounts of their pain.
ਕਲਜੁਗ ਦੁਰਤ ਦੂਰਿ ਕਰਬੇ ਕਉ ਦਰਸਨੁ ਗੁਰੂ ਸਗਲ ਸੁਖ ਸਾਗਰੁ ॥੪॥ In this Dark Age of Kali Yuga, the sins are taken away; the Blessed Vision of the Guru's Darshan is the Ocean of all peace and comfort. ||4||

I have been spending time on this question so I thought I would share some thoughts here even though it is an old thread.

One of the things in Japji Pauris we are told seems very profound to me:

ਵਾਰਿਆ ਨ ਜਾਵਾ ਏਕ ਵਾਰ ॥ vāri▫ā na jāvā ek vār. I cannot even once be a sacrifice unto Thee.
ਜੋ ਤੁਧੁ ਭਾਵੈ ਸਾਈ ਭਲੀ ਕਾਰ ॥ Jo ṯuḏẖ bẖāvai sā▫ī bẖalī kār. What ever pleases Thee, that is a good pursuit ਤੂ ਸਦਾ ਸਲਾਮਤਿ ਨਿਰੰਕਾਰ ॥੧੮॥ Ŧū saḏā salāmaṯ nirankār. ||18||

I understand it to mean that it is only good action which is pleasing to the Creator within me. I think that Simran and Shabad study are the ways that I nurture the connection to the Creator within then fuels the good action. I think if I could imagine a perfect state where I have erased all Haumai and accepted Hukam, then every action I make in the world is self-less, pure and good, i.e. Bhali Kar.

If the Creator is formless (not personified) and the Creator is the manifestation of Truth, then there is no one sitting in the sky with magic scales to judge my actions. I have to rely on the Simran and Guru's Bani contemplation to make my channel to the Creator strong so that my actions will be pure.

So I think the aim of my life as a Sikh is to take personal responsibility to be sure that I acting in from a place of Truth and one-ness with the Creator, instead of acting out of Haumai self-interest and Pap or falsehoods. The more my actions and habits reflect the Creator the more I will have merged and removed duality from my life.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
I have been spending time on this question so I thought I would share some thoughts here even though it is an old thread.

ਵਾਰਿਆ ਨ ਜਾਵਾ ਏਕ ਵਾਰ ॥ vāri▫ā na jāvā ek vār. I cannot even once be a sacrifice unto Thee.
ਜੋ ਤੁਧੁ ਭਾਵੈ ਸਾਈ ਭਲੀ ਕਾਰ ॥ Jo ṯuḏẖ bẖāvai sā▫ī bẖalī kār. What ever pleases Thee, that is a good pursuit ਤੂ ਸਦਾ ਸਲਾਮਤਿ ਨਿਰੰਕਾਰ ॥੧੮॥ Ŧū saḏā salāmaṯ nirankār. ||18||

I understand it to mean that it is only good action which is pleasing to the Creator within me. I think that Simran and Shabad study are the ways that I nurture the connection to the Creator within then fuels the good action. I think if I could imagine a perfect state where I have erased all Haumai and accepted Hukam, then every action I make in the world is self-less, pure and good, i.e. Bhali Kar.

If the Creator is formless (not personified) and the Creator is the manifestation of Truth, then there is no one sitting in the sky with magic scales to judge my actions. I have to rely on the Simran and Guru's Bani contemplation to make my channel to the Creator strong so that my actions will be pure.

So I think the aim of my life as a Sikh is to take personal responsibility to be sure that I acting in from a place of Truth and one-ness with the Creator, instead of acting out of Haumai self-interest and Pap or falsehoods. The more my actions and habits reflect the Creator the more I will have merged and removed duality from my life.

:wahkaur:

Original

Writer
SPNer
Jan 9, 2011
London UK
Hi Everyone

Interesting read ! Purely as an intellectual exercise, I'll be the devils Advocate and proceed with; what if the whole of the world population was to accept that the aim of life is to find God and merge ? A step further if you will, what if everyone did find this God and merged, then what ?

NOTE: Sikh=student, the presumption is the whole world is a student [Sikh].

Goodnight

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Hi Everyone

Interesting read ! Purely as an intellectual exercise, I'll be the devils Advocate and proceed with; what if the whole of the world population was to accept that the aim of life is to find God and merge ? A step further if you will, what if everyone did find this God and merged, then what ?

NOTE: Sikh=student, the presumption is the whole world is a student [Sikh].

Goodnight

Do you mean Ik Ong Kaar- The Source is not omnipresent?

Original

Writer
SPNer
Jan 9, 2011
London UK
Do you mean Ik Ong Kaar- The Source is not omnipresent?

Pyara Veer Tejwant Singh Ji

No, what I'm trying to do is to probe the root n branch of the original statement made at the start of this thread so that an acceptable version is constructed rather than found. Sikhism is practical and applies universally. One doesn't have to be a Sikh by definition to reap benefits, that is what I'm aiming to construct if general consensus amongst troops at SPN deem it rational.

Look forward to your valued input !

Brgds

Original

Writer
SPNer
Jan 9, 2011
London UK
I would like to think we have all found and merged with God already, we just do not have enough wisdom to see the answers that already exist in front of our eyes and in our hearts

Brother H

Bang-on !

On this count you not only thought rationally, but precisely as well. Your statement stands on all fours, insofar, God and relationship with separated soul [human being expelled from mother's womb and severed from her body] is a matter at hand. If I may add, the wisdom is already there [SGGSJ], but perhaps we're not just quite ready ? And, the getting ready is the crux of life [philosophically].

Many thanks

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Pyara Veer Tejwant Singh Ji

No, what I'm trying to do is to probe the root n branch of the original statement made at the start of this thread so that an acceptable version is constructed rather than found. Sikhism is practical and applies universally. One doesn't have to be a Sikh by definition to reap benefits, that is what I'm aiming to construct if general consensus amongst troops at SPN deem it rational.

Look forward to your valued input !

Brgds

Original Ji,

Guru fateh.

Thanks for the response but unfortunately it still does not answer the question I posted inspired by your thread. Yes, I agree that we are all Sikhs.

Regards

Tejwant Singh

Original

Writer
SPNer
Jan 9, 2011
London UK
Original Ji,

Guru fateh.

Thanks for the response but unfortunately it still does not answer the question I posted inspired by your thread. Yes, I agree that we are all Sikhs.

Regards

Tejwant Singh

Sir

I'll start again: the original question was "what should be the AIM of life for a Sikh?" And, in short the suggested answer was, "find God and be one with it". I interjected to look for a deeper and a meaningful construction of "aim n purpose" re humankind in general with hypothesis as a provisional conjecture to investigate it intellectually. The statements I've made are suppositions to determine the validity of the suggested answer.

The idea is appealing and with good heads around [SPN] for interaction to shape Sikhism in light of evolution can be enormously rewarding.

Goodnight n Godbless

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007

From the above shabad I understand that Guru Nanak says to the Creator as 'hazar nazar' here and now. So what's the use to find God when the shabad is an example that God is Omnipresent.

Original

Writer
SPNer
Jan 9, 2011
London UK
I don't think I'm coming across clearly? I'm sorry, but "God" is not an issue; its the "aim of a Sikh" together with the suggested answer [find God and be one with it] with which I'm mulling ?

many thanks

Myself

SPNer
Jun 5, 2015
Hello ji, i really need help, i'm 21 years old. I grow my hair for now. I do use turban to cover my head. But, i got a problem. I really interested to go to Atlantic Voyagers School that leads to work in international hotel and cruise ship. but, in order to attend that school, i have to cut my hair and shave my beard. Is it ok for me to cut my hair and shave my beard?. anyway, i still have my true sikhism in my heart. and i will do read gurbani everyday..

Original

Writer
SPNer
Jan 9, 2011
London UK
Hello ji, i really need help, i'm 21 years old. I grow my hair for now. I do use turban to cover my head. But, i got a problem. I really interested to go to Atlantic Voyagers School that leads to work in international hotel and cruise ship. but, in order to attend that school, i have to cut my hair and shave my beard. Is it ok for me to cut my hair and shave my beard?. anyway, i still have my true sikhism in my heart. and i will do read gurbani everyday..

Sir,

Universal Declaration of Human Rights [UDHR] was founded to give humans of all nations some basic "rights" , amongst which is the right to practice one's religious belief. It is unlawful for AVS to discriminate against you for holding a particular religious belief [speaking from UK/International Law perspective].

Article 18 of UDHR:

• Everyone has the right to freedom of thought, conscience and religion;
Discrimination of the type you're describing occurs when an organisation has practices, policies or procedures which, although they are applied to everyone, have the effect of disadvantaging people of a particular religion [Sikh]. However, since this is a qualifying right within the meaning of the Act, local legislation has been delegated to make amendments when and where necessary in a democratic society. That is to say, indirect discrimination will not be unlawful if it can be justified. This means AVS must show that there is a legitimate aim (i.e. a real business need) and that the practice is proportionate to that aim (i.e. necessary and there is no alternative less discriminatory means available).

NOTE: Get legal advice before you touch Turban or beard.

Moving on to the real deal - Sikhism. We don't choose, Waheguru does. If it means cutting your hair and removing your turban, consider it His will for all is His doing. Important thing is to have faith in "Waheguru" - if today He takes it tomorrow He may replace it. Simran Seva is the key -

Good luck and be optimistic. Nanak's Sikhism embraces the whole of humanity with or without turbans. Yes, a distinct form of a human being was necessary for "khalsa" to become a state of pure consciousness. Many tread the path few succeed and that too by His grace.

God be with you....

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
I have copied and pasted Originals reply to the thread entitled Sikhs about cutting hair, please carry on the thread there, back to topic

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM