• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

What Is The Sikh View Of The West?

May 26, 2005
San Francisco
I ask this because when I read the SGGS, I find myself relating the concepts to my understanding of philosophy, most of it "western" in origin (mainly since I'm quite a geek). As a note, I don't want to imply "science" is purely Western phenomenon, but my own education in Science is, alas, Western in origin.

Here's an example: I interpret "Hukam" as containing natural law as well as moral/spiritual law. For example, quantum physics to relativity to mechanics is God's Hukam. The biological processes that enact evolution is God's Hukam. Randomness and probability in systems (including what happens in a person's life) is God's Hukam. The inability to perceive God scientifically is God's Hukam (this is stated very clearly in the Mul Mantar AFAIC).

What do you think of this kind of interpretation? One that tries to integrate Sikh philosophy into a scientific world view?

Jul 30, 2004
world
Gurfateh
Jogindar Singh Kaur said:
I ask this because when I read the SGGS, I find myself relating the concepts to my understanding of philosophy, most of it "western" in origin (mainly since I'm quite a geek). As a note, I don't want to imply "science" is purely Western phenomenon, but my own education in Science is, alas, Western in origin.

Here's an example: I interpret "Hukam" as containing natural law as well as moral/spiritual law. For example, quantum physics to relativity to mechanics is God's Hukam. The biological processes that enact evolution is God's Hukam. Randomness and probability in systems (including what happens in a person's life) is God's Hukam. The inability to perceive God scientifically is God's Hukam (this is stated very clearly in the Mul Mantar AFAIC).

What do you think of this kind of interpretation? One that tries to integrate Sikh philosophy into a scientific world view?

It is OK.

In fact if you read Dasham Granth including Triya Charitar you will get that Guru has used objectivity to inform us about acts of God so far considered evil by socity.

Yes all happens by will of God.Das recommends you to read Japu Sahib also.Which describes Physical and matterial based attributes of God.

While Akalustat has geogrphical account.

Avtars etc. has account of capabilities.

Triya Charitar takes us from rebellion to idolatory and dogmas to sexual acts of God in the manifestation of Humans.

you are on right tract.

Yet we have great people who are more purists of Guru Granth sahib Ji like Plamba Brother and Manbir Singh Ji.Thier views also needs to be taken along side Luthra Sahib's.

jagmeet

SPNer
Nov 1, 2004
India

Yours is a good effort,but remember that science knows only the tip of the iceberg yet(not that it will ever know more than a tip!).

Plus god is 'aganat'(i.e. He doesen't come under 'ganit' i.e. mathematics).'Ganit',or reasoning/ calculations is not the way to reach Him.Ponder over the following lines from gurbani:-

'Ganat ganaavae akhri aganat saacha soi'

'Tu karta aap aganat hai sabh jag vich gantae'

Jul 13, 2004
Canada
Wah ji wah :)

This is a nice attempt. Looking forward to hear more from you.

Regards.

Dec 8, 2005
Re: What is the Sikh view of the quantum theory

Dear Brother

SSAKAL:)

It is nice to see that Sikh is truly living upto the spirit of being a SIKH that is a "student for life".

No where in Gurbani is method of Scientific inquiry criticised. It is rather encouraged.
Mathematics being the language of Science needs to be known by all Sikhs to give a Sikh view of Quantum theory.

It is said that no one really understands the Quantum theory from his heart. It is said its understanding depends upon your own level of mental evolution.

It will be certianly interesting to Know what is SIKHS interpretation of "QUANTUM theory ".

The world is certianly interested in seeing our interpreataion of this Great thought of GOD manifested thru his Great followers like Planck , Bohr , Heisenberg, Paulis, Schrondiers , Diracs etc to name few of them.

See site and books
http://www.qubit.org/library/intros/comp/comp.html
Quantum Physics by Stephen Gasiorowicz.

Richard P. Feynman's wonderful QED: the strange theory of light and matter,

Shankar's Principles of Quantum Mechanics

Feynman's Lectures on Physics vol. III

Townsend's A Modern Approach to Quantum Mechanics

French and Taylor's An Introduction to Quantum Physics.

I think we SIKH should set up a Group of :wah: follower who shall have to say something on this astounding piece of God given human thought .

It is said that New Quantum personel computer being built shall have the speed which if it takes 100 years a task for todays PC the quantum shall take 1 second.

See the power of God manisfested thru the above mentioned great men.

WGKWGF

luv
hps62:) :D

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: