Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

What is the purpose of our life...

Discussion in 'Sikh Youth' started by japjisahib04, Aug 9, 2014.

Tags:
  1. japjisahib04

japjisahib04 Kuwait
    Expand Collapse
    Mentor SPNer Contributor

The purpose of our life is the most sought question, the whole man kind is looking and Guru Amardas is elborating his inter action with His beloved God in the following sabd.

ਹਉ ਢਾਢੀ ਹਰਿ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਖਸਮ ਕਾ ਹਰਿ ਕੈ ਦਰਿ ਆਇਆ ॥
    I am a minstrel of the Lord God, my beloved and Master; I have come to knock the Lord's Door.

ਹਰਿ ਅੰਦਰਿ ਸੁਣੀ ਪੂਕਾਰ ਢਾਢੀ ਮੁਖਿ ਲਾਇਆ ॥
    The Lord has heard my craving from within; He has called his minstrel, into His Presence.

ਹਰਿ ਪੁਛਿਆ ਢਾਢੀ ਸਦਿ ਕੈ ਕਿਤੁ ਅਰਥਿ ਤੂੰ ਆਇਆ ॥
    The Lord called his minstrel in, and asked, "What is the purpose of your knocking my door?

ਨਿਤ ਦੇਵਹੁ ਦਾਨੁ ਦਇਆਲ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਧਿਆਇਆ ॥
    O Merciful God, please grant me the gift of such wisdom that I am connected with you athai pehar and become a good human being and serve the purpose of life

ਹਰਿ ਦਾਤੈ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਜਪਾਇਆ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਪੈਨਾਇਆ ॥੨੧॥੧॥ ਸੁਧੁ
    And so the Lord, the Great Giver, tells and blesses Nanak in order to come to that state of mind you need to wear the wisdom of chola on your intellect(head) to safeguard your honor from the vicious five thieves and ਨਾਨਕੁ ਪੈਨਾਇਆ Nanak has adorned his head with 'prem patola tai sai ditta dakhan ko pat meri.' ||21||1||Sudh||

Similarly when guru sahib says, 'ਅਵਰਿ ਕਾਜ ਤੇਰੈ ਕਿਤੈ ਨ ਕਾਮ ॥ ਮਿਲੁ ਸਾਧਸੰਗਤਿ ਭਜੁ ਕੇਵਲ ਨਾਮ ॥੧॥ over here the 'ਕਾਜ' is to become human as such make base of your mind divine traits. This is the kaaj, this is purpose of your life. I heard the elderly people who were involved in good will meetings on Saharanpur riots had no concern at all about the loss of life and damages to the 150 shops of innocents sikh but were dominating and threatening. So let us become human first.

• Like Like x 6
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Sikhism The Purpose of Life Sikh Sikhi Sikhism Oct 15, 2015
    FAQs for Students What should be my purpose of life? Questions and Answers Nov 25, 2013
    The purpose of our life Sikh Sikhi Sikhism Sep 13, 2010
    Significance and Purpose of Human Life Sikh Sikhi Sikhism Jul 10, 2009
    Purpose Of Life: GUrbani Ethics. Sikh Sikhi Sikhism Mar 9, 2008

3. Tejwant Singh

Tejwant Singh United States
    Expand Collapse
    Mentor Writer SPNer Contributor

A Sikh does not have a purpose of life but with the help of SGGS, our only Guru, s/he makes her/his Life Purposeful.

• Like Like x 10
  4. Harry Haller

Harry Haller United Kingdom
    Expand Collapse

Writer SPNer Contributor

the purpose of my life is to help and assist anyone I come across, without any sense of reward or increased enlightenment, until I die, and through that, to find some peace and contentment. Instead of wisdom, it is responsibility that controls the thieves for me, but wisdom does slowly develop, not genuine wisdom, but more if you stick a burning rod on your arm, and it burns, don't do it again, at the age of 45 I have an arm full of burn marks, maybe in a few years I will see that wisdom, till then, responsibility will have to suffice.

• Like Like x 10
  5. chazSingh

chazSingh United Kingdom
    Expand Collapse
    Writer SPNer

The purpose of my life:

to learn from the experienced i've had in my life

to learn from the mistakes i've made...which have been a blessing to awaken me.

to reduce the influence that the 5 thieves have on my thoughts, actions and behavior

to be a pure servant to humanity, a servant who's intentions are not influenced by the 5 Thieves.

To actually SEE God in all, and not just SAY it...

To SEE God in myself...to Experience God within my very Being...

But those 5 Thieves don;t give up that easily...:swordfights:

• Like Like x 4
  6. Gyani Jarnail Singh

Gyani Jarnail Singh Malaysia
    Expand Collapse
    Sawa lakh se EK larraoan

Gobind Millan kee eh teri bareyah...and Thats my purpose in life..to Meet HIM..

• Like Like x 4
  7. palaingtha

palaingtha India
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

In a few words the purpose of our lives is to "live a life of the purity of a saint while remembering GOD round the clock". which means earn your bread by the sweat of your brow and share with others while repeating or being conscious of God all the time.

• Like Like x 4
  8. japjisahib04

japjisahib04 Kuwait
    Expand Collapse
    Mentor SPNer Contributor

To stay awake and aware. Be creative. And ਸਹਜਿ ਸੰਤੋਖਿ ਸੀਗਾਰੀਆ ਮਿਠਾ ਬੋਲਣੀ ॥. Learn the direction and share with other and not to waste time in superfluous work.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Gyani Jarnail Singh

Gyani Jarnail Singh Malaysia
    Expand Collapse
    Sawa lakh se EK larraoan

Mittah bolnna..is a virtue beyond comparison..Gussah mann na handhaiyeh..mitth bollrra ji har saajan mera are examples of the importance of mittah bollnna...its a fact that 99% of conflicts are caused and perpetuated by KAURRA BOLLNNA....mitth bollnna can STOP conflicts before they even begin...and Gussah harms our heart as docs tell us esp thsoe who ahve ahd a heart attack already..and Farid Ji told us that 500 years ago ...

• Like Like x 3
  10. Harkiran Kaur

Harkiran Kaur Canada
    Expand Collapse

Leader

Writer SPNer Contributor

The purpose of life is use this rare opportunity to transcend life itself.

Link to full article here:
    http://www.gurbani.org/articles/webart305.htm

11. Harry Haller

Harry Haller United Kingdom
    Expand Collapse

Writer SPNer Contributor

oh I forgot, the ultimate purpose of life in my humble opinion, is to know yourself, inside out, which I guess in some ways could be taken as knowing yourself spirtually....

• Like Like x 5
  12. Tejwant Singh

Tejwant Singh United States
    Expand Collapse

Talking about "To Know Inside Out", never suck your tummy in while looking yourself in the mirror after taking a shower.