• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

What Is The Prayer ?

Sa'ad

SPNer
May 8, 2009
What is the "prayer" that one recites while taking a very early shower transliterated into English with English Translation? Thanks in advance.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Sa'ad ji

I think it would be a very soggy start to the day. :}8-: That is why it is not a good idea to take a shower and pray at the same time using transliteration and English translation. Better if possible to wait :idea: or even better commit the prayer to heart.

Now to be serious about your question:

There is another way to look at it. The "prayer" we say in the shower is unvoiced in many ways. It is the same "prayer" when we close our eyes at night and given into sleep. It the same "prayer" when we walk out the door, get in the auto, drive off to school or to work, get on a bus, go to our desk and start working. It is a "prayer" of faith that we are supported by Akaal. it is a "prayer" of hope without words, and we are thankful for another day. We keep on going until it is our time to stop.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Sa'ad ji

Here is a prayer to say before sleep that comforts the heart and cools the mind. It erases doubt and fear. It asserts the protection of God over all his creation, though we may not comprehend His plan, we trust nonetheless that He comprehends us and holds us close. It is just part of the larger hymn Sohilaa.

ਰਾਗੁ ਗਉੜੀ ਪੂਰਬੀ ਮਹਲਾ ੫ ॥
raag gourree poorabee mehalaa 5 ||
Raag Gauree Poorbee, Fifth Mehl:

ਕਰਉ ਬੇਨੰਤੀ ਸੁਣਹੁ ਮੇਰੇ ਮੀਤਾ ਸੰਤ ਟਹਲ ਕੀ ਬੇਲਾ ॥
karo baenanthee sunahu maerae meethaa santh ttehal kee baelaa ||
Listen, my friends, I beg of you: now is the time to serve the Saints!

ਈਹਾ ਖਾਟਿ ਚਲਹੁ ਹਰਿ ਲਾਹਾ ਆਗੈ ਬਸਨੁ ਸੁਹੇਲਾ ॥੧॥
eehaa khaatt chalahu har laahaa aagai basan suhaelaa ||1||
In this world, earn the profit of the Lord's Name, and hereafter, you shall dwell in peace. ||1||

ਅਉਧ ਘਟੈ ਦਿਨਸੁ ਰੈਣਾਰੇ ॥ਮਨ ਗੁਰ ਮਿਲਿ ਕਾਜ ਸਵਾਰੇ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
aoudhh ghattai dhinas rainaarae || man gur mil kaaj savaarae ||1|| rehaao ||
This life is diminishing, day and night. Meeting with the Guru, your affairs shall be resolved. ||1||Pause||

ਇਹੁ ਸੰਸਾਰੁ ਬਿਕਾਰੁ ਸੰਸੇ ਮਹਿ ਤਰਿਓ ਬ੍ਰਹਮ ਗਿਆਨੀ ॥
eihu sansaar bikaar sansae mehi thariou breham giaanee ||
This world is engrossed in corruption and cynicism. Only those who know God are saved.

ਜਿਸਹਿ ਜਗਾਇ ਪੀਆਵੈ ਇਹੁ ਰਸੁ ਅਕਥ ਕਥਾ ਤਿਨਿ ਜਾਨੀ ॥੨॥
jisehi jagaae peeaavai eihu ras akathh kathhaa thin jaanee ||2||
Only those who are awakened by the Lord to drink in this Sublime Essence, come to know the Unspoken Speech of the Lord. ||2||

ਜਾ ਕਉ ਆਏ ਸੋਈ ਬਿਹਾਝਹੁ ਹਰਿ ਗੁਰ ਤੇ ਮਨਹਿ ਬਸੇਰਾ ॥
jaa ko aaeae soee bihaajhahu har gur thae manehi basaeraa ||
Purchase only that for which you have come into the world, and through the Guru, the Lord shall dwell within your mind.

ਨਿਜ ਘਰਿ ਮਹਲੁ ਪਾਵਹੁ ਸੁਖ ਸਹਜੇ ਬਹੁਰਿ ਨ ਹੋਇਗੋ ਫੇਰਾ ॥੩॥
nij ghar mehal paavahu sukh sehajae bahur n hoeigo faeraa ||3||
Within the home of your own inner being, you shall obtain the Mansion of the Lord's Presence with intuitive ease. You shall not be consigned again to the wheel of reincarnation. ||3||

ਅੰਤਰਜਾਮੀ ਪੁਰਖ ਬਿਧਾਤੇ ਸਰਧਾ ਮਨ ਕੀ ਪੂਰੇ ॥
antharajaamee purakh bidhhaathae saradhhaa man kee poorae ||
O Inner-knower, Searcher of Hearts, O Primal Being, Architect of Destiny: please fulfill this yearning of my mind.

ਨਾਨਕ ਦਾਸੁ ਇਹੈ ਸੁਖੁ ਮਾਗੈ ਮੋ ਕਉ ਕਰਿ ਸੰਤਨ ਕੀ ਧੂਰੇ ॥੪॥੫॥
naanak dhaas eihai sukh maagai mo ko kar santhan kee dhhoorae ||4||5||
Nanak, Your slave, begs for this happiness: let me be the dust of the feet of the Saints. ||4||5||

It can be very helpful to say this prayer any time of the day when we are troubled. There is no rule that it must be said only at night.

Sa'ad

SPNer
May 8, 2009
תוֹדָה todah thanks Aleph cholem dalet hey. I express my prayers in English and Hebrew all day long; however, I am going to start getting up at 3:00 AM and take a cold shower: Ishnaan Therapy .
Perhaps, I misunderstood this practice as being a normal part of Sikh Life.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Sa'ad

Washing up -- usually a shower -- at 3 am prior to morning prayers is a typical sadhana in some Sikh traditions. It is common among 3HO or White Sikhs, and other traditions also. The shower is not a requirement. The early morning hour is referred to as Amrit Vela and is the time for the recitation of Japji Sahib, and other prayers according to one's tradition. Prayers can also include Shabad Hazare and Jaap Sahib. There are some variations among people.

Not everyone is bound to the cold shower, though washing your face and hands is a good idea because he gets you started and generally feeling clean is feeling better and helps one to focus.

Jan 6, 2005
Metro-Vancouver, B.C., Canada
For your kind consideration:

source: http://www.sikhitothemax.com/Page.asp?SourceID=G&PageNo=&ShabadID=1152&Format=2

This Shabad is by Guru Ram Das Ji in Raag Gauree on Pannaa 305 - Siri Guru Granth Sahib Ji:

mÚ 4 ]
gur siqgur kw jo isKu AKwey su Blky auiT hir nwmu iDAwvY ]
audmu kry Blky prBwqI iesnwnu kry AMimRq sir nwvY ]
aupdyis gurU hir hir jpu jwpY siB iklivK pwp doK lih jwvY ]
iPir cVY idvsu gurbwxI gwvY bhidAw auTidAw hir nwmu iDAwvY ]
jo swis igrwis iDAwey myrw hir hir so gurisKu gurU min BwvY ]
ijs no dieAwlu hovY myrw suAwmI iqsu gurisK gurU aupdysu suxwvY ]
jnu nwnku DUiV mMgY iqsu gurisK kI jo Awip jpY Avrh nwmu jpwvY ]2]

ma 4 ||
gur sathigur kaa jo sikh akhaaeae s bhalakae out(h) har naam dhhiaavai ||
oudham karae bhalakae parabhaathee eisanaan karae a(n)mrith sar naavai ||
oupadhaes guroo har har jap jaapai sabh kilavikh paap dhokh lehi jaavai ||
fir charrai dhivas gurabaanee gaavai behadhiaa out(h)adhiaa har naam dhhiaavai ||
jo saas giraas dhhiaaeae maeraa har har so gurasikh guroo man bhaavai ||
jis no dhaeiaal hovai maeraa suaamee this gurasikh guroo oupadhaes sunaavai ||
jan naanak dhhoorr ma(n)gai this gurasikh kee jo aap japai avareh naam japaavai ||2||

Fourth Mehla:
One who calls himself a Sikh of the Guru, the True Guru, shall rise in the early morning hours and meditate on the Lord's Name.
Upon arising early in the morning, he is to bathe, and cleanse himself in the pool of nectar.
Following the Instructions of the Guru, he is to chant the Name of the Lord, Har, Har. All sins, misdeeds and negativity shall be erased.
Then, at the rising of the sun, he is to sing Gurbani; whether sitting down or standing up, he is to meditate on the Lord's Name.
One who meditates on my Lord, Har, Har, with every breath and every morsel of food - that GurSikh becomes pleasing to the Guru's Mind.
That person, unto whom my Lord and Master is kind and compassionate - upon that GurSikh, the Guru's Teachings are bestowed.
Servant Nanak begs for the dust of the feet of that GurSikh, who himself chants the Naam, and inspires others to chant it. ||2||

*********************************************************************************************

Additional info:

Japji Sahib

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Japji Sahib consists of the Mool Mantra as the beginning followed by 38 hymns and a final Salok at the end of this composition. The Japji appears at the very beginning of the Guru Granth Sahib, the Holy Book of the Sikhs. It is regarded as the most important Bani or 'set of verses' by the Sikhs and is recited every morning by all practising faithful of this religion. The word ‘Jap’ means to ‘recite’ or ‘to ‘chant’. ‘Ji’ is a word that is used to show respect as is the word ‘Sahib’. 'Ji' can also be used to refer to one's own soul.

Sa'ad

SPNer
May 8, 2009
Thank you all for your kind instructions. I have the software program punjabi guru, but it isn't helping me to learn the words I need. All of your posts were helpful. I have stopped cutting my hair because of some of the sikh videos on youtube which made sense to me. I hope to continue to learn more and more about sikhism. In the mool mantra is it "jug sach" or "juggar sach?"

Jan 6, 2005
ik oNkaar There is Only One God
Sat Naam
Truth is His Name
kartaa purakh nirbh-a-o nirvair akaal moorat He is the Creator, Protector, Without Fear, No Enmity, The First Entity,
ajoonee saibhN gur parsaad. jap. Never born, Self-perpetuating; With the Guru’s grace: Recite!
aad sach jugaad sach.
True in the beginning, True Through the Ages,
hai bhee sach naanak hosee bhee sach.
True even now and says Nanak will be True in the future

source: Japji Mool Mantar - SikhiWiki, free Sikh encyclopedia.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recommended website for more info: http://gurbani101.net/JAPJISAHIB/MoolMantrathebeginninghymn/tabid/308/language/en-US/Default.aspx

D-Singh

SPNer
Jul 7, 2007
Prayer is a gimmick if you will. Its a tool, just like music...to link the mind to something external. This reinforces whatever message you want to create.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
D-Singh ji

You have shared with the forum in other threads the deep sadness and disappointments of your life and you link these to the Sikh faith rather than to the particular people who imposed suffering on you. Please try to stand back and allow others to express a perspective that is positive. Their experience of Sikhism and religion in general has perhaps been more positive than yours. Give them room to breathe just as you yourself hunger for a little more freedom from your past. Thank you aad0002

Jan 6, 2005
Why do we pray? There are basically 12 reasons for prayer:

1. We pray to depend on Waheguru Ji for help in distress.
  2. We pray for asking Waheguru Ji for enlightenment.
  3. We pray for communion with Waheguru Ji through single-minded devotion.
  4. We pray for asking for peace from Waheguru Ji when the mind is restless.
  5. We pray for surrendering ourselves to Waheguru Ji completely.
  6. We pray to Waheguru Ji for giving us the ability to comfort others.
  7. We pray for thanking Waheguru Ji for His blessings.
  8. We pray for expecting Waheguru Ji to decide what is best for us when we are in a dilemma.
  9. We pray for making friendship with Waheguru Ji.
  10. We pray for melting the mind and ego in silence in Waheguru Ji.
  11. We pray for requesting Waheguru Ji to give strength, peace and pure intellect
  12. We pray for asking Waheguru Ji to purify the heart and make us abide in Him forever.
- from an enlightened soul

The key is strong FAITH, will power ( determination) and limitless patience !

>> THE SIKH WAY = SEVA + SIMRAN + SANGAT ! <<

Sa'ad

SPNer
May 8, 2009
My apologies. It seems that what I write often conveys the opposite of what I intended. First, I am not a Sikh, nor have I had any negative experiences with my exposure to Sikhism. In fact, the opposite is true. I have found much spiritual joy in the Mool Mantra and reading the Guru Granth Sahib Ji. If I had to put myself in a religious box, it would be Nazarene Isralite which I have also found great comfort from practicing. Again, my apologies if I was unclear about this.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM