• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Archived_member2

Archived
Jul 18, 2004
Germany
Pray Truth for all and say Satsriakal!
Dear all!

Some say that Gurmukhi is a script.
I feel Gurmukhi is that the true Guru pronounces. Gurmukhi is that comes through the Mukh of the true Guru.

Anybody on earth can learn a script. By learning a script one does not come to receive that God transfer through the mouth of the true Guru. This is the reason the Gurus praised and often used the word 'Gurbaanee' but never suggested a script (Lipi) to learn Naam Simran.

Strange Sikh Pandits swear and promise all true Naam Simran by learning the script.

Balbir Singh

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Respected Balbir ji

Now I am beginning to understand why it is so difficult to follow your discussions. You began this thread with this statement:

Gurmukhi is the language of the Gurus.

A number of us, taking the statement a face value engaged you in discussion, with the general consensus that Gurmukhi is not a language but a script.

Then today you changed your working definition of Gurmukhi from a language to this:

Gurmukhi is that comes through the Mukh of the true Guru.

Which differs completely from you original statement.

Which in turn changes everything, and makes one wonder if you are engaging in a sneak attack of some kind, are giving us a pop quiz, or have just radically changed your mind in the middle of a discussion, and now the discussion is about something else.

Thus the thread is not about what we thought it was about, and we are not where we think we are, but we are moving in a completely different direction.

When you put Gur and Mukh together you arrive at Gurmukh which is not the mouth of Guru ji. Here we go again with body parts.

Gurmukh has a number of different meanings in Sri Guru Granth Sahib, and the idea of mouth is only implied because words or Bani are uttered from the mouth and only in the most literal sense.

Siri Guru Granth Sahib ji uses Gurmukh in several ways.

Gurmukh is Guru - oan gurmukhi kio akara ekahi suti provanhara (SGGS, 250).

Gurmukh is someone who is admitted into the Lord’s darshan -
gurmukhi hari dari sobha pae" (SGGS, 125).

Gurmukh is someone who faces the Guru (remains focused on God)
guru mukhu dekhi garu sukhu payau" (SGGS, 1400).

Gurmukh is someone who absorbs the Divinity of Naam. gurmukhi namu sital jalu paia hari hari namu pia rasu jhik" (SGGS, 1336).

Gurmukh is someone who has his faced turned toward the Guru; whereas manmukh has turned his back to God. gurmukhi sanmukhu manmukhi vemukhia (SGGS, 131).

Gurmukh is someone who rids himself of ignorance, doubt, and haumai and follows the truth in his concentration on the Shabd. gurmukhi haumai sabadi jalae (SGGS, 942).

Gurmukh is someone who continuously meditates on the Naam of God. gurmukhi sagali ganat mitavai (SGGS, 942).

Gurmukh is someone who is not affected by pain and fortune because he accepts the destiny carved out by God. gurmukhi parvirati narvirati pachhani (SGGS, 941).

You are Gurmukh when you are totally attuned to the Word of God. But isn't this Gurmat 101? Where do we go next?

Archived_member2

Archived
Jul 18, 2004
Germany
Pray Truth for all and say Satsriakal!
Dear all and Aad0002 Jee!

These are sentences through me.
"Gurmukhi is the language of the Gurus."
"Gurmukhi is that comes through the Mukh of the true Guru."

You wrote "A number of us, taking the statement a face value engaged you in discussion, with the general consensus that Gurmukhi is not a language but a script."
The reverend Gurus never said like that. I do not know when and why people started calling Gurmukhi a script?

Thanks for the wonderful Vaaks from Gurdev.

Quote "Siri Guru Granth Sahib ji uses Gurmukh in several ways."
The word 'Gurmukh' occurs six times and the word 'Gurmukhi' one thousand six hundred and fifteen times in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Jee.
Every time those explain the same meaning not several.
Also, the understanding and translations of the Guru's Vaaks provided are not correct, in my view.
This one is from your examples.
"Gurmukh is someone who continuously meditates on the Naam of God. gurmukhi sagali ganat mitavai." (SGGS, 942).
Neither this translation is correct nor others available in the market.
Ego of a person, so-called Gurmukh, can never erase all accounting.

Godly words coming through the mouth of the true Guru have this strength alone.

By the way not even once the Gurus have used these holy words for a person, the so-called Sikh of present time. The humble and thankful Gurus have used words 'Gurmukh' and 'Gurmukhi' for the mouth of their true Gurus.
Prescribing oneself the title 'Gurmukh' he does not become the mouth of the true Guru.

Balbir Singh

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Humble apologies Balbir ji

I wasn't offering translations of the lines from Guru ji. Not at all.

These were simply descriptive statements followed by lines from SGGS. The translations can be found elsewhere.

But since no one can translate these lines correctly according to your comment above, it wouldn't be worth the effort for me to go back and add the translations anyway. So better perhaps that they are not translated at all. That would only contribute to more confusion.

As for Egos -- who can say? There are Gurmukhs out there. They just don't talk a lot and tend to keep their mouths shut. So they go un-noticed. I don't think they visit Internet forums very often. If they do they don't post very often.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: