• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

What Is Sin And Good Deeds?

arshdeep88

SPNer
Mar 13, 2013
Sat sri akal to all respected members
hope you all are doing great :)

in your views what is a Sin and good deed?
How it is presented in guru granth sahib
and what is your personal take on it

thank you :)

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Arshdeepji

Sin is a very Abrahamic word, it is something one does that makes God angry and that one has to ask God for forgiveness for. Similarly a good deed is something that makes God happy and reserves your place in heaven.

This is not how it works in Sikhism, in my opinion anyway, one does good deeds because one is a Sikh, our job is to serve and protect, not to get into heaven, but because it is the right and true thing to do, yes, we all do things we should not, but I do not class such as sins merely deeds that are not good.

If I were to walk past a woman being raped, that is not so good, if I were to join in, that is really not good, if I were to beat the rapist off and comfort the woman and call the police, that is good,

Sometimes it is hard to know what good is, and what bad is, is it good to give money to a beggar, knowing he may spend it on drugs? Is it wrong to do a good deed for the sole purpose of recounting it later to show others how good you wish to be seen as?

That is why we live by the truth, because where the truth is concerned there is no good or bad deeds, no sin, just the truth.

In our hearts, and through the shabad Guru, we find what the truth is, and we do our best to implement it in our day to day lives, sharing, helping, lifting the veil of darkness, that is our job, that to me is being a Sikh.

Jul 18, 2007
London
Personally I feel if someone was asked to define what is right and wrong, there comes a point where you can't explain it, it is represented by an internal feeling within your deeper self, becoming in tune with that, to do the right thing at the right time is to me my way of trying to live a truthful living.

As Harry ji stated sometimes it is very difficult to understand what is truly right or wrong. For example the beggar may use alcohol as an all in one fix to keep warm at night, forget about their predicament, get to sleep easier etc.

Kanwaljit.Singh

Writer
SPNer
Jan 29, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
From the book, Kite Runner:

There is only one sin, only one. and that is theft. Every other sin is a variation of theft.

When you kill a man, you steal a life,You steal his wife’s right to a husband, rob his children of a father.

When you tell a lie, you steal someone’s right to the truth.

When you cheat, you steal the right to fairness.

“There is no act more wretched than stealing”

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM