• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Islam What Is Dawah?

dalsingh

SPNer
Jun 12, 2006
London
Da‘wah (Arabic: دعوة‎) usually denotes preaching of Islam. Da‘wah means literally "issuing a summons" or "making an invitation", being the active participle of a verb meaning variously "to summon, to invite" (whose triconsonantal root is د ع و). A Muslim who practices da‘wah, either as a religious worker or in a volunteer community effort, is called a dā‘ī, plural du‘āt. A dā‘ī is thus a person who invites people to understand Islam through a dialogical process, and may be categorized in some cases as the Islamic equivalent of a missionary.

Dawah - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

dalsingh

SPNer
Jun 12, 2006
London
"The word "Da'wah" in Arabic simply means to invite to something. When it is used in conjunction with Islam it is understood to mean "Inviting to the Way of submission and surrender to Allah." Da'wah in Islam is actually an order from Allah in His Holy Qur'an in a number of places. Let us consider one:

"Kuntum khairan ummatin ukhrajat linaasi tawmaruna bil maruf wa tan anna anhil munkar."
You are the best of people raised up, for you call to all that is right and righteous and you forbid the evil, and you believe in Allah. [Qur'an 3:110] "

Funny, I do not see the word Dawah in the transliteration above?????​

This does not mean all Muslims are experts at it. Many need much practice, but the act in itself is believed to be a virtue (if the intention is correct). Hope this helps

From what I've seen in the UK, it is heavily abused and often used to insult other faiths and brainwash people. Not that I am saying that this is its original purpose.

I have a straight question for you Benjaman: Are you a Muslim and believer in the Prophet Mohhamad?

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Sikhs do not proselytize, except among Sikhs. There is no effort at all to make converts. This is frowned upon.

A reminder that proselytizing is forbidden on SPN. aad0002

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
Funny, I do not see the word Dawah in the transliteration above?????

"for you call to all that is right and righteous"

To call is to invite. I took the quote from a website I found, i'm sure there's many places where man should invite to religion in the Quran and even in the Bible, for example

Mark 2:2
And many were gathered together, so that there was no more room, not even at the door. And he was preaching the word to them.

Are you a Muslim and believer in the Prophet Mohhamad?

Agnostic, i'm on the fence and wish to learn about the differences with the world religions. I've looked into Judaism, and Christianity (parents) and have been reading the Quran. Recently i've started reading into Sikhism and the Sri Guru Granth Sahib (SGGS). Hoping to learn a little more.

My question to u is,
Is there any preaching in Sikhism? Just curious.

Sikhs do not covert, preach conversion or forcibly convert.

I understand in Islam Dawah has been used in many forms of conversion forced and otherwise.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM