• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

What Is Anhaad Naad?

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
I guess it suits your agenda to not understand

bliss again, crumbs, this bliss must be pretty uhmm blissful! I do not recognise the Gurus lives, of what I know of them, to be searching for bliss, they involved themselves in the problems of the world, womens rights, freedom, equality, they fought, they taught, they did not shut themselves away looking for the world of real bliss.

you meam like a zombie?

can you articulate how this is done? let me guess what the end result is.. more bliss?

again? why? to what end?

but what about the wife and kids? the job? the garden? will this not eat into your life? ahh but all life is false and an illusion, so its OK!

how far is karam khand from sach khand? do you have to have an out of body experience to get there? or do you ride on a giant turtle? does the king of the frog people come and take you on a magic carpet? what do you do when you get to the gate of the Lord? duly enlightened? what happens then? do you and Goddy have a cup of tea and chat about the old times? what happens to the king of the frog people? too many questions....

otherwise you get eaten by the king of the frog people?

you sound very confused Harry ji...

i find it very difficult reading your posts nowadays...

you seem to want people to tell you everything...and thats the problem in this information Age...people just want to be told stuff..rather than walk the walk and conduct their own enquiry and experiments..

words like Bliss are used because unfortunately to get a message to us HUMANS, the limits of language have to be used to describe something that is beyond all language.

if that is very difficult to understand...then so be it...

even Guru ji said describing this stuff is like is HARD AS STEEL...so please stop demanding every explain everything to YOU....they CAN'T :)

did you ever used to watch the old T.V program 'surprise surprise', where after years of searching, people were bought back together... lost fathers, mothers, brothers and sisters...all of a sudden put before each other on a show...

NOW YOU GO AND ASK THEM HOW IT FELT! the BLISS is not what they were after...the journey they took, the hard ship, the tears, the emotion, the loss, the gain, the sweat...that all ended in the Bliss of REUNION!

i repeat, the BLISS is not what they were after! the reunion is what they always dreamt of and the reunion is what they poured their heart into

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
You can't listen to easy music to ease and focus your mind. You have to first ease and focus your mind in order to listen to the music. You dig?

Let me get this right...

so you can't listen to music to ease and focus your mind...you have to first ease and focus your mind in order to listen to music...

seriously sherdil...i agree with the latter, but the former is also true..

are you telling me that you have never heard music that has soothed and eased your mind? seriously?

you need to change the music that you listen to :)

Sherdil

Writer
SPNer
Jan 19, 2014
Let me get this right...

so you can't listen to music to ease and focus your mind...you have to first ease and focus your mind in order to listen to music...

seriously sherdil...i agree with the latter, but the former is also true..

are you telling me that you have never heard music that has soothed and eased your mind? seriously?

you need to change the music that you listen to :)
You have it backwards. You have to change the inner self to hear the Anhaad. You can't listen for the Anhaad, in hope that it will change the inner self.

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
the conversations on this forum are like people telling each other what they have experienced...

like someone saying

"i ate an apple earlier and i really enjoyed it"

"no you didnt, you can;t have enjoyed it...."

"how do you know i didn't enjoy it...i'm the one that ate the apple"

"is that what you do, eat an apple for self enjoyment, for the self..what good is that to anyone else and society"

"well, if i do not eat, i will die, then what good am i to anyone then" :)

"but all you talk about is enjoying the apple...all the bliss you felt eating the apply... bla bla bla...get out of your apple eating cave and walk into society...how can i have the same enjoyment, tell me how"

"pick an apple up and eat it, share your experience with others....inspire them to eat an apple tooo...they are good for you...you will be healthier and you will be in a better state to help others and help yourself also.." :)

"No, just explain to me what that Bliss is, what that enjoyment is...i want to know"

"ok, it is juicy, tangy, but also sweet...its joyful...but this can also describe me eating some Haribo sweats!...therefore i am struggling to explain with words what i feel when i eat an apple, please just try to eat one yourself...then you will KNOW"

"no...i dont believe"

:)

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
You have it backwards. You have to change the inner self to hear the Anhaad. You can't listen for the Anhaad, in hope that it will change the inner self.

you were referring to normal music created by instruments...that is not the same as anhaad (unstruck)

what do you mean by change the inner self? do you mean my character, to remove my bad habits etc etc..?

then yes...

but i thought we were talking about whether the anhaad has the effect of easing oneself...of imparting a sense of peace and bliss etc? which is what Bani tends to describe...
i think it also works the other way which is what i think you are saying, that we also need to be in a good frame of mind to be open to hearing the anhaad?

Maybe i have mis-understod what you were trying to say

Harkiran Kaur

Leader

Writer
SPNer
Jul 20, 2012

Actually with all respect, you have it backwards Sherdil. It's the experience that truly changes you. You can make up your 'mind' to change your inner 'self', but it will be your ego which is deciding to do the changing - you are still thinking of the 'self'. (example: "I" will change "ME") It is the act of experiencing anhaad naad which truly evokes change on a level beyond the ego. And you don't hope for that...it just happens when you eventually 'let go' of the precepts of the 'self'.

You see, ALL is vibration... everything that exists, vibrates. From light, to heat, to magnetism, to matter, to atomic structures, to energy, to radiation, to light, to colour, to sound... sound is believed to be the base of all. Every major religion speaks of a primal sound which creates reality, and this is no different in Sikhi. Sound = vibration. Even matter that makes up everything we touch is just energy vibrating at a slow rate. So essentially, when you hear 'celestial sound currents' - can you can see why this is so profound? You are not just hearing a 'sound' - you are becoming aware of the source of all reality, that all of reality is aware, and that you and reality are one in the same. And you can not tell someone what it is like. It has to be experienced.

You guys keep asking what its like, explain what happens, what is bliss etc... I tried my very best in human words to explain. But there are no words which will ever accurately describe it as stated below:

<TABLE cellSpacing=5><TBODY><TR bgColor=#babac7><TD>ਤਿਸੁ ਰੂਪੁ ਨ ਰੇਖ ਅਨਾਹਦੁ ਵਾਜੈ ਸਬਦੁ ਨਿਰੰਜਨਿ ਕੀਆ ॥੧॥
Ŧis rūp na rekẖ anāhaḏ vājai sabaḏ niranjan kī▫ā. ||1||
The Name has no form or outline; it vibrates with the unstruck Sound Current; through the Word of the Shabad, the Immaculate Lord is revealed. ||1||

ਕਰੇ ਵਖਿਆਣੁ ਜਾਣੈ ਜੇ ਕੋਈ ॥
Kare vakẖi▫āṇ jāṇai je ko▫ī.
One can speak on this only when he knows it.

ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਪੀਵੈ ਸੋਈ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
Amriṯ pīvai so▫ī. ||1|| rahā▫o.
He alone drinks in the Ambrosial Nectar. ||1||Pause||

</TD></TR><TR><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
If it was merely speaking about a state of 'mind' then anyone could speak about it... We know that even those who are unhappy can speak about happiness, as even they know what happiness isn't. This experience however must be profound indeed, in order for it to be specified that only those who experience it firsthand can even speak on it.

Now I mentioned that all the major religions speak about a primal sound of creation... this is significant, because the truth can be found by anyone... it's not only reserved for Sikhs. An example is in the Chritstian Bible... " In the begining was the Word(Shabad), and the Word was with God, and the Word WAS God...." In Hinduism, sound is the first emenation, then light. OM is used by several spiritual paths to evoke this... There are many examples, I just dont have them at hand right now. So if so many different spiritual paths from different cultures, all came to the same conclusion that a primal sound creates the reality of the Universe, and indeed the sound IS [God] then that alone speaks to the truth in it.

Sherdil

Writer
SPNer
Jan 19, 2014
Actually with all respect, you have it backwards Sherdil. It's the experience that truly changes you. You can make up your 'mind' to change your inner 'self', but it will be your ego which is deciding to do the changing - you are still thinking of the 'self'. (example: "I" will change "ME") It is the act of experiencing anhaad naad which truly evokes change on a level beyond the ego. And you don't hope for that...it just happens when you eventually 'let go' of the precepts of the 'self'.

<style type="text/css">P { margin-bottom: 0.08in; }</style> Self is merely a perception. If you view yourself as Akasha, then you will one day die. If you view yourself as the Universe then you will live on. There is peace and tranquility from this realization. All is an extension of yourself. This doesn't require any “experience” to realize. By virtue of seeing all things as an extension of yourself, you achieve harmony with your surroundings.

Harmony, or the state of being harmonious, has the musical connotation of being “in-tune”. Anhaad Naad is the “un-struck sound” because it comes from itself. I see it like the Big Bang. The Universe came from itself. It appears as different shapes and objects, but it is really one thing, made out of one fabric. Another way of looking at it is like a musical composition. The different things we see are like different notes vibrating at their own frequency, but the root sound is the same.

The state of listening is not only with our ears. It is also with our eyes and our mind. By knowing what it is, then you begin to see it and hear it. If no one ever told you what to listen for, how would you hear it? That is what I mean when I say that the revelation begets the experience. The experience doesn't beget the revelation. This is because your experience is purely subjective. It is unique to you. If two people took a bite out of the same apple, one person might say it is sweet and the other person might say it is bitter. Neither of those descriptions reveal the truth of what the apple is.

Harkiran Kaur

Leader

Writer
SPNer
Jul 20, 2012
<style type="text/css">P { margin-bottom: 0.08in; }</style> Self is merely a perception. If you view yourself as Akasha, then you will one day die. If you view yourself as the Universe then you will live on.

except ....its more than just viewing yourself as part of the universe... it's actually experiencing it. And when you say 'live on' it's not just metaphorically as in your atoms become something else... you actually ARE... and you are and always be AWARE. You are very correct, it's impossible to describe! This we agree on! Any way I would try to explain, would be only my interpretation and using human language. And, I was young when I first had a spiritual experience, and I never tried to have it. That didn't mean I didn't recognize it for what it was... after all, our true reality is spiritual and not physical. The knowledge is already within us.

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
Transcendence? I heard that movie wasn't very good. :)

The act of transcending is an experience. The revelation occurs before that. You already know it, but you want to experience it.

Listening to music is never about the destination. It's always about the experience.

This is a soothing, peaceful, blissful experience.

I'm sorry, but anhad naad is not the peaceful music you describe.
Like I say, if you want to transcend, then the shabad and naad can carry you.
You keep mixing and playing with words like experience, destination as above and in earlier post.
No one said music or naad or shabad was the destination !

Anyway, it seems that someone who just reads about anhad, seems to know more about it without any experience !............
Can a mechanic become so by just reading car manuals ?
Can a person learn to swim by reading a book ?
Can you become gurmukh by just reading gurbani ?

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
:winkingmunda:
the conversations on this forum are like people telling each other what they have experienced...

like someone saying

"i ate an apple earlier and i really enjoyed it"

"no you didnt, you can;t have enjoyed it...."

"how do you know i didn't enjoy it...i'm the one that ate the apple"

"is that what you do, eat an apple for self enjoyment, for the self..what good is that to anyone else and society"

"well, if i do not eat, i will die, then what good am i to anyone then" :)

"but all you talk about is enjoying the apple...all the bliss you felt eating the apply... bla bla bla...get out of your apple eating cave and walk into society...how can i have the same enjoyment, tell me how"

"pick an apple up and eat it, share your experience with others....inspire them to eat an apple tooo...they are good for you...you will be healthier and you will be in a better state to help others and help yourself also.." :)

"No, just explain to me what that Bliss is, what that enjoyment is...i want to know"

"ok, it is juicy, tangy, but also sweet...its joyful...but this can also describe me eating some Haribo sweats!...therefore i am struggling to explain with words what i feel when i eat an apple, please just try to eat one yourself...then you will KNOW"

"no...i dont believe"

:)

ABSOLUTELY !!:winkingmunda:
That's what I always call ''CLASSIC" humor...

It's just plain nonsense talk as you say...

Then on the other hand, we have Japjisahib giving one-off gurbani quotes with the most unrelated and off tangent self explanations.
Absolute nonsense!............to add to your above ''apple scenario''... he is saying... ''To eat an apple is not for taste, nutrition, survival or anything... but so that you eat the pip and then excrement on some fertile pasture for the pip to sprout and reincarnate into a new apple tree !":singhfacepalm:
I can't even understand why the OP question ''what is anhad naad ?'', when he has his own misconstrued version.

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
After all these posts I've still not the slighest idea of what anhaad naad(Unstruck Sound Current) means. Can someone please tell me how the experience feel?

Unstruck Sound Current doesn't tell me much.

Just meditate, meditate..Naam simran
When you begin to jap with your mind in complete silence and mind-stillness, then it shall begin to manifest with his grace and kirpa.
YOU WILL KNOW !!!!!
That's it.....I have no intention of explaining further to anyone unless they get to the early stages.....then a practical and reasonable discussion can take place

Harkiran Kaur

Leader

Writer
SPNer
Jul 20, 2012
Then on the other hand, we have Japjisahib giving one-off gurbani quotes with the most unrelated and off tangent self explanations.
Absolute nonsense!............to add to your above ''apple scenario''... he is saying... ''To eat an apple is not for taste, nutrition, survival or anything... but so that you eat the pip and then excrement on some fertile pasture for the pip to sprout and reincarnate into a new apple tree !":singhfacepalm:
I can't even understand why the OP question ''what is anhad naad ?'', when he has his own misconstrued version.

No, Japji would take it to mean, the 'apple' is a metaphor for being in a happy state of mind. The taste and nutrition are not real and are some otherworldly hallucination that should be shunned, and as long as you are in your apply state of mind, and get along with the neighbours you are fulfilling everything you were meant to in life.

Harry Ji would say the apple is not an apple at all but instead is a carrot... And the taste and nutrition are really just a drug induced trip caused by the frog king, and do not matter anyway because how do they help others? Because obviously.... You can't share a carrot.

Note: This was not meant to placate.....anymore than the frog king comments were.

kggr001

SPNer
Nov 3, 2011
Amsterdam
Just meditate, meditate..Naam simran
When you begin to jap with your mind in complete silence and mind-stillness, then it shall begin to manifest with his grace and kirpa.
YOU WILL KNOW !!!!!
That's it.....I have no intention of explaining further unless you get to the early stages.

Luck ji, the problem with meditation for me is that it works temporarily, every night I do meditate and afterwards I do feel detached from the 5 thieves, and I end up spending hours and hours thinking about gurbani I've read. however when I wake up it's like I'm a complete different person one who doesn't think about the lord for a single moment and I'm again controlled by the 5 thieves.

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
Luck ji, the problem with meditation for me is that it works temporarily, every night I do meditate and afterwards I do feel detached from the 5 thieves, and I end up spending hours and hours thinking about gurbani I've read. however when I wake up it's like I'm a complete different person one who doesn't think about the lord for a single moment and I'm again controlled by the 5 thieves.

Starting off and getting into it at first is a difficult task.
You have to find that suitable approach that can get you going with saas graas.
You are welcome to pm me for more info on how to go about this

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Harry Ji would say the apple is not an apple at all but instead is a carrot

your absolutely right, I may not fully understand your position, but I can see you fully understand mine, in my view anything that draws you in so much to the detriment of the life around you is dangerous, the OBE's and astral shennanigans are in my view carrots to lure folk in.

And the taste and nutrition are really just a drug induced trip caused by the frog king

again, correct, all the experiences that take place in this state of mind are merely mental gymnastics and hold no more depth than sitting up at midnight smoking a joint and discussing doughnuts.

, and do not matter anyway because how do they help others? Because obviously.... You can't share a carrot

well quite, no you have me bang to rights, this is exactly howI feel about the subject, I also feel that anyone driving a BMW X5 should be placed in a mental home, so I am not suggesting I have some sort of universal truth here, it is just my opinion and the way I feel. If time is anything to go by, opinions change and the way one feels changes, maybe one day I will feel the the BMW X5 is in fact a fine car, but at the moment, that is where I am.

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
:winkingmunda:

ABSOLUTELY !!:winkingmunda:
That's what I always call ''CLASSIC" humor...

It's just plain nonsense talk as you say...

yup, it's very comical... :)

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012

Gurbani says the world is plundered by the 5 thieves...
gurbani says fight the 5 thieves day and night..

how quickly does one seek results? is patience not a virtue?

If you are able to recognise the 5 thieves within you and how they affect you, then that is grace in itself...most people don;t even recognise the 5 thieves, they are fully controlled by them..

just keep moving forward with your simran and meditation...
i have been doing Daily meditation for 2.5 years...i am still plagued by the 5 thieves...but their intensity is reducing..and with the reductions of Ego, Anger, Greed, Desire etc comes great awakenings to truth...

bit by bit you will get there my friend...have patience...

just like athletes train every day to become the best, just like body builders work out every day... all things take time, effort, and patience...

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
After all these posts I've still not the slighest idea of what anhaad naad(Unstruck Sound Current) means. Can someone please tell me how the experience feel?

Unstruck Sound Current doesn't tell me much.

From my very little experience...

it is something that you will hear with Gods Grace when you take your attention inwards.

because of how mesmerizing it is, it will grab your attention (consciousness) and take you further/deeper into your Simran/Rememberance of God.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM