• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

What Is A Real Sant?

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
chazSingh ji

What do your words have to do with Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji? The question, what is a Sant, is put into an Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji context. To say from "Intention > Though generation > Manifestation of intention into physical action...everything in perfect harmony and control..." sounds more like a mind-over-matter point of view, or a personal opinion. Which is OK. If it is a personal opinion that needs to be made clear so that readers do not get the impression that this is based in Gurmat. Likewise the "experience of chi..." has no connecton to Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. The thread however is supposed to be looking at whether "Sant" has a unique meaning in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji.

Please clear this up or some posts, in the exchange between you and Harry ji, need to be split from the thread and placed in Interfaith dialogues or in LIfestyle.

The word Sant has been very nicely explained by other members.

For the rest, it is off topic so my posts can be removed or we can just move back to the subject at hand.

angrisha

SPNer
Jun 24, 2010
Canada
I was thinking of this thread in relation to Anand Sahib, this is the portion of I was looking at

ਆਵਹੁ ਸੰਤ ਪਿਆਰਿਹੋ ਅਕਥ ਕੀ ਕਰਹ ਕਹਾਣੀ
Āvhu sanṯ pi▫āriho akath kī karah kahāṇī.
Come, Beloved Saints, let us speak the Unspoken Speech of the Lord.
ਕਰਹ ਕਹਾਣੀ ਅਕਥ ਕੇਰੀ ਕਿਤੁ ਦੁਆਰੈ ਪਾਈਐ
Karah kahāṇī akath kerī kiṯ ḏu▫ārai pā▫ī▫ai.
How can we speak the Unspoken Speech of the Lord? Through which door will we find Him?
ਤਨੁ ਮਨੁ ਧਨੁ ਸਭੁ ਸਉਪਿ ਗੁਰ ਕਉ ਹੁਕਮਿ ਮੰਨਿਐ ਪਾਈਐ
Ŧan man ḏẖan sabẖ sa▫up gur ka▫o hukam mani▫ai pā▫ī▫ai.
Surrender body, mind, wealth, and everything to the Guru; obey the Order of His Will, and you will find Him.
ਹੁਕਮੁ ਮੰਨਿਹੁ ਗੁਰੂ ਕੇਰਾ ਗਾਵਹੁ ਸਚੀ ਬਾਣੀ
Hukam mannihu gurū kerā gāvhu sacẖī baṇī.
Obey the Hukam of the Guru's Command, and sing the True Word of His Bani.
ਕਹੈ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਸੁਣਹੁ ਸੰਤਹੁ ਕਥਿਹੁ ਅਕਥ ਕਹਾਣੀ ॥੯॥
Kahai Nānak suṇhu sanṯahu kathihu akath kahāṇī. ||9||
Says Nanak, listen, O Saints, and speak the Unspoken Speech of the Lord. ||9||

So im curious, if we think about the idea of a 'real Sant'.. then as long as were able to follow Hukam, wouldn't everyone be a real sant then?

Last edited by a moderator:

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
I was thinking of this thread in relation to Anand Sahib, this is the portion of I was looking at

ਆਵਹੁ ਸੰਤ ਪਿਆਰਿਹੋ ਅਕਥ ਕੀ ਕਰਹ ਕਹਾਣੀ
Āvhu sanṯ pi▫āriho akath kī karah kahāṇī.
Come, Beloved Saints, let us speak the Unspoken Speech of the Lord.
ਕਰਹ ਕਹਾਣੀ ਅਕਥ ਕੇਰੀ ਕਿਤੁ ਦੁਆਰੈ ਪਾਈਐ
Karah kahāṇī akath kerī kiṯ ḏu▫ārai pā▫ī▫ai.
How can we speak the Unspoken Speech of the Lord? Through which door will we find Him?
ਤਨੁ ਮਨੁ ਧਨੁ ਸਭੁ ਸਉਪਿ ਗੁਰ ਕਉ ਹੁਕਮਿ ਮੰਨਿਐ ਪਾਈਐ
Ŧan man ḏẖan sabẖ sa▫up gur ka▫o hukam mani▫ai pā▫ī▫ai.
Surrender body, mind, wealth, and everything to the Guru; obey the Order of His Will, and you will find Him.
ਹੁਕਮੁ ਮੰਨਿਹੁ ਗੁਰੂ ਕੇਰਾ ਗਾਵਹੁ ਸਚੀ ਬਾਣੀ
Hukam mannihu gurū kerā gāvhu sacẖī baṇī.
Obey the Hukam of the Guru's Command, and sing the True Word of His Bani.
ਕਹੈ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਸੁਣਹੁ ਸੰਤਹੁ ਕਥਿਹੁ ਅਕਥ ਕਹਾਣੀ ॥੯॥
Kahai Nānak suṇhu sanṯahu kathihu akath kahāṇī. ||9||
Says Nanak, listen, O Saints, and speak the Unspoken Speech of the Lord. ||9||

So im curious, if we think about the idea of a 'real Sant'.. then as long as were able to follow Hukam, wouldn't everyone be a real sant then?

The potential is there within us all...to be awoken to that state of being...

And it's not something we should desire...or work towards...or have it as a desired target...because it is our true state of being...

not the state of being that our Ego has led us to believe...

from my very short journey into Gurbani, Simran, Amrit Vela etc, the realization is that there is sooooo much more to us than we could ever possibly imagine :)

Last edited by a moderator:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
The potential is there within us all...to be awoken to that state of being...

And it's not something we should desire...or work towards...or have it as a desired target...because it is our true state of being...

not the state of being that our Ego has led us to believe...

from my very short journey into Gurbani, Simran, Amrit Vela etc, the realization is that there is sooooo much more to us than we could ever possibly imagine :)

chaz Singh ji thank you for re-posting the shabad angrisha ji posted. How do you make the connection between that shabad and your remarks which you have stated in one way or another many times? thanks

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
chaz Singh ji thank you for re-posting the shabad angrisha ji posted. How do you make the connection between that shabad and your remarks which you have stated in one way or another many times? thanks

Angrisha has contemplated on a shabad which has prompted her to ask further questions... my reply is to her further questions, not that particular shabad itself.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM