• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

What Does Ghar Mean When Stated Next To Raag?

Aug 5, 2008
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh.
Khalsa Jio, I was reading sikhiwiki and Ghar has been related to
The taal system of the tabla.
But to be honest this does not make any sense?
Any one who has any knowledge of pakawaj will know, that the pauri systen has 1 tali as well as the other taals like kerva and dadra?
So how can we determine that Ghar pelah is reffered to Dadra 6 beats taal? like stated in the Sikhi Wiki site.
I understand that the Mahan Kosh only states that it has something to do with the taal systemm but ti has not been claerified.
Also in shastrya sangeet, there is no limit to the taal system.
For example I can create a taal with 3 talis in it and 2 khali's and I can make it 19 or 20 beats cycle, so does that mean it's not a taal, Taal can mean anything so long as the cycle is consistant.
So therefore I personally don't agree with the explaintion for Ghar that is related to the taal system.
Please can one of my Gursikh Brother add to this khoj.
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
I bumped this thread because I hope you get an answer. Ghar means house. But so does Mehela mean house. I have seen Ghar and Mehela together, and thus Ghar must be referring to something other than the Naanak, or House of the Guru, for the Shabad.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
amarsanghera ji,

I hope it helps too. I read the pdf file uploaded by NamJap, and I think I get it -- but the article is soooooooooooooooooooooo conceptual that it is hard to say if I did. :confused:

fauja

SPNer
Mar 12, 2009
I have asked this of Bhai Avtar Singh and his family - Bhai Gurcharan Singh Bhai Kultar Singh, Bhai Baldeep Singh - and they all say that the answer has been lost and they have had an unbroken stream of kirtan tradition dating to Guru Amar Das Ji's times. They generally think that it has to do with taal in some form, but they are not 100% sure what that is and they have not heard an answer that is 100% correct 100% of the time.

the common public notion that floats around is that it has to do with specific taals. however, this has been proven to be incorrect - where it might make sense in some cases, in others it doesn't work - for the reason that AkaliFaujaSingh mentioned above. this theory lacks the consistency to be considered scientifically as a valid reason.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
fauja ji

NamJap ji answered this question a while back. Keep searching on the threads. You will find a link to a document where it is explained.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: