• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

[VIDEO] India 'objects' To Jay Leno's Remark On Sikh Golden Temple

Jan 6, 2005
Metro-Vancouver, B.C., Canada
BBC News -25 January 2012 Last updated at 03:04 ET

US comedian Jay Leno sued over Golden Temple jibe

A lawsuit has been filed in California suing US comedian Jay Leno for what it calls "racist" comments on the Sikh shrine, the Golden Temple of Amritsar.

Indian-American Randeep Dhillon says Leno "hurt the sentiments of all Sikh people in addition to the plaintiff".

A recent Leno skit showed the shrine as the summer home of Republican candidate Mitt Romney.

Mr Romney has faced questions over his wealth and Sikhs are angry the temple was shown as a place for the rich.

An Indian minister called Leno's comments "objectionable" and said "freedom does not mean hurting the sentiments of others".

But US state department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland said the US Constitution strictly protected freedom of speech.

Mr Dhillon filed the lawsuit in Los Angeles Superior Court on Tuesday, seeking unspecified damages.

Leno's joke "clearly exposes plaintiff, other Sikhs and their religion to hatred, contempt, ridicule and obloquy because it falsely portrays the holiest place in the Sikh religion as a vacation resort owned by a non-Sikh", Mr Dhillon said in his petition.

Earlier, a US Sikh group launched an online petition over Leno's comment, also accusing the comedian of making previous derogatory remarks about Sikhs.

Some Sikhs also demanded action against the NBC channel for airing the "racist and derogatory" depiction of the Golden Temple.

Overseas Indian Affairs Minister Vayalar Ravi joined the protest, saying: "It is quite unfortunate and quite objectionable that such a comment has been made after showing the Golden Temple."

But Ms Nuland said: "I hope [Leno will] be appreciative if we make the point that his comments are constitutionally protected in the United States under free speech and, frankly, they appeared to be satirical in nature."

She said the US had "absolute respect" for all Indians, including Sikhs, and that President Barack Obama was the first president to celebrate the birthday of the religion's founder, Guru Nanak, at the White House."

Jay Leno has not yet commented on the matter.

source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-16714305

------------------------------------------------------------------------

FURTHER NEWS:

India, US Sikh group object to Golden Temple comments:

Link: http://www.newkerala.com/news/2011/worldnews-149247.html

Last edited:

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Overseas Indian Affairs Minister Vayalar Ravi joined the protest, saying: "It is quite unfortunate and quite objectionable that such a comment has been made after showing the Golden Temple"

heehee lets get the sikhs all worked up so they make fools of themselves, heehee

Yes of course it is quite unfortunate, but not as unfortunate as bombing it......

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Because Veerji there are certain people that will gain by mass media coverage of Sikhs burning effigies and chest beating, I just spoke to my dad, the effigy burnings have indeed begun, with lots of nice video of angry Sikhs parading, chest beating and generally getting very upset.

If we had as I so hoped done nothing bar lodge a polite but firm complaint, We would have been seen as statesmen, enlightened and civilised, but now we get to be seen as the Indian government would like us to be seen..

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
When I see the GOI jump so fast..i KNOW the real reason....and of course when the likes of GS Lamba also jump...that CONFIRMS what i KNOW...as Harry Ji has also seen...a "perfect heaven sent opportunity" to bad mouth the Sikhs, show them up in bad light by posting filthy comments etc by so called "sikhs"...etc etc...what a CIRCUS....Thats why i ignored the Online petition or refused to post any comments on jays facebook Page...suddenly India is enamoured of the Sikhs and the Golden temple and freedom of speech etc etc..
Why no such haste to help the Sikhs in the dastaar issue in France ?? Why no such furore by GOI in other Sikh issues in the West ??....one has to wonder ....

Inderjeet Kaur

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2011
Seattle, Washington, USA
Because Veerji there are certain people that will gain by mass media coverage of Sikhs burning effigies and chest beating, I just spoke to my dad, the effigy burnings have indeed begun, with lots of nice video of angry Sikhs parading, chest beating and generally getting very upset.

If we had as I so hoped done nothing bar lodge a polite but firm complaint, We would have been seen as statesmen, enlightened and civilised, but now we get to be seen as the Indian government would like us to be seen..
When anything fishy goes on (especially in India), it is helpful to ask, "Cui bono?" (Who profits?)

Certainly not the Sikhs, and anything that disses us pleases the GOI. Never forget, they don't like us. They don't like us enough to murder us by the thousands. If we have any sense of survival, or just any sense, we will be very suspicious of anything and everything they do that touches us.

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Like someone rightly posted in a comment elsewhere, GoI never apologized for their own attack on Amritsar, yet they make a ruckus here!
Election time in Punjab too Eh!

Plus who was that ringleader fighting subpoena to appear in the USA for 1984 crimes in Delhi. He must have some pupits to turd disturb. He is/was the richest member of Parliament/Minister I believe! I forget his name right now!

I suppose 1984 and 1984+ must have been classified as freedom of expression by GOI as nothing seems to have happened to the ringleaders, the murderers, the child murderers, the rapists, the butchers, the torturers, the fire bombers, the lowest of lives, etc. I am running out of superlatives!

Any and all opportunities to create a gulf between the Sikhs and any other community will be fully exploited by GOI, the standard bearers of Democracy at home. What a joke!

Sat Sri Akal.

HGNIS

SPNer
Jan 27, 2012
America has this little thing called Free Speech. The Sikhs protesting this joke need to relax, find something more productive to do and understand that this country is not one where free speech is squelched because you don't find a joke funny. Comedians make jokes. Sometimes they are not funny, sometimes they may be related to your religious/cultural/ethnic/social group. That doesn't mean you have to get so offended you sue the comedian.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM