• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Festivals Vaisakhi Greetings !

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Bhagat ji

It is simply amazing that my point is lost. Here again is the sentence,
That both you and the main speaker cannot stop getting into arguments about religion?

The thread is about Vaisakhi Greetings and the use of Punjabi language forms that are interesting as found in the text of the greeting. What does that have to do with disputing specifics of religion. In what way does a prolonged argument about an unrelated topic serve the discussion?

dalsingh

SPNer
Jun 12, 2006
London
He says that he is labelled rude and arrogant whenever he criticizes religion. Sound like anyone you know on the forum? He then asks why has religion been given such an immunity towards criticism. (that people think its insensitive to criticize it)

Possible explanation: Maybe the guy is a jerk in the way he does this, however valid his argument?

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
Bhagat ji

It is simply amazing that my point is lost. Here again is the sentence,
That both you and the main speaker cannot stop getting into arguments about religion?

The thread is about Vaisakhi Greetings and the use of Punjabi language forms that are interesting as found in the text of the greeting. What does that have to do with disputing specifics of religion. In what way does a prolonged argument about an unrelated topic serve the discussion?
Aad ji I understand your point but this thread does not have a focus of discussion. It started from something off topic which was that Gurudwaras should be spending money elsewhere. And we went through one of the things that happen in Gurughar's and that is that teaching if punjabi but now, we are essentially talking about religion, which is what gurudwaras are based on.
So I fail to see how what we were talking about before had to do with Vaisakhi greetings. You are essentially saying that the greeting is related to the Punjabi discussion because the greting contains certain Punjabi alphabets. However, the greeting essentially for Vaisakhi, also relates to religion; Khalsa day relates to Khalsa.
I am not disputing specifics of religion. ( That I leave for other threads. ) But what I am saying is that it becomes hard to upset people when you criticize (any point in) religion because religion is given this immunity that it SHOULDn' be criticized. Why?
Now I don't think that's off topic seeing as the Punjabi discussion started from something off topic.
So after this if you still consider the bolded statement above to be off topic then we will stop discussing it.

----------------------------
Dalsingh ji
Possible explanation: Maybe the guy is a jerk in the way he does this, however valid his argument?
No he specifically says that if I do the SAME with politics or something else then no one minds.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
No he specifically says that if I do the SAME with politics or something else then no one minds.

It is not what is said but how.

dalsingh

SPNer
Jun 12, 2006
London

So you haven't considered the fact that he himself may be biased and possibly giving a skewed slant on things? I've seen athiests lose it when discussing religion. The matter is a very emotive one for people in either camp. They are usually surpressing the urge to scream out "you backward myth believing idiots", whilst at the same time they themselves have blind faith in science as some foolproof methodology that can explain everything.

Truth is that understanding through science evolves as does our understanding of religion (bar the fundamentalists). Scientists using fundos as an example of why religion sucks is ****, as not all religious people are non reasoning, lemming types. Science is great because it attempts to view things objectively. But human experience is a purely subjective one, that is when religion comes in.

Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.

Albert Einstein.

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.

Albert Einstein.
When Einstein said religion he did not mean it in the traditional sense. Put this quote into context.

usually surpressing the urge to scream out "you backward myth believing idiots",
Dal Singh ji there is a difference, obviously they BOTH cannot be myth believing idiots and if none of them is a myth believing idiot then that's not right. So which group is a myth believing idiot?

Listen to what tehy are discussing i nthis part. And comment on that.
YouTube - The Four Horsemen: Dawkins, Dennett, Harris, Hitchens (1/12)

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Bhagat ji

I have been off-line all day -- since about 7:OO this morning. So I don't know the answer to your question. That would be strange because a deleted post goes to the Leader's section for review and a final decision.

Post your question in the Chat Box to see if anyone knows what may have happened.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
computer glitch ? thats why i am staying away from any button except quote post/quickreply/ and submit.
Slowly the fear will dissipiate...hopefully before i send someones valuable post into space..

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM