Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

Vaaran Bhai Gurdas

Discussion in 'Literature' started by aristotle, Oct 26, 2013.

1. aristotle

aristotle
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer Contributor

Vaaran by Bhai Gurdas(1551-1636) hold an eminent place in Sikh literature, shedding light on the advent of Sikh faith, the socio-religious circumstances of that time and the Gurmat philosophy. Here, Gurmukhi text of the Vaars is presented in pdf format (41 Vaars, out of which the last one is of dubious origins).

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Vaaran Bhai Gurdas Ji(The Key) Sikh Sikhi Sikhism Jan 9, 2008
    Vaaran Bhai Gurdas Ji Sikh Sikhi Sikhism Mar 20, 2007
    Full PDF Of Gurbani Sangeet Parachin Reet Ratnavali By Bhai Avatar Singh Gurmat Sangeet Nov 22, 2016
    Sawal Jawab Prof. Inder Singh Ghagga, Bhai Sarbjit Singh Dhunda Dasam Granth Oct 18, 2016
    Sikh Rahit Maryada | Bhai Sarabjit Singh Dhunda Gurmat Vichaar May 27, 2016

3. spnadmin

spnadmin United States
    Expand Collapse
    1947-2014 (Archived)
    SPNer Supporter

I would argue that the the final vaar is beyond "dubious origin." It is a transparent attempt to hyjack the text. We have some good information about that in several threads, penned mostly by Gyani Jarnail j.

• Like Like x 1
  4. aristotle

aristotle
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer Contributor

True spnadmin Ji.
    That is the reason most Sikh scholars consider the author of the Vaar to be Gurdas, the second. The style of poetry is markedly different from the previous 40 Vaars and it is generally not included in most modern Steeks and exegeses of the Vaars.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Ishna

Ishna
    Expand Collapse
    On hiatus
    Writer SPNer Contributor

• Like Like x 2
  6. aristotle

aristotle
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer Contributor

Yes Ishna Ji.
    I think ballad is the closest English translation (whenever I think of a ballad, Sir Walter Scott's 'Lochinvar' comes to my mind :) )

'Vaar' is a prominent Punjabi genre featuring poems of war, bravery and valour.

Interestingly, the Vaars in the Guru Granth Sahib Maharaj give a unique metaphysical angle to this genre.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Gyani Jarnail Singh

Gyani Jarnail Singh Malaysia
    Expand Collapse
    Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
    Mentor Writer SPNer Contributor

The Gurdass II is an imaginary after thought by SIKHS...the name doesnt appear on the manuscript !!

What IF I wrote a heavily biased play and printed it at the END of the " The Complete works of Shakespeare"....( Without writing my name anywhere on it)... and after it came out that Shakespeare NEVER wrote that particualr play...would it be natural for the English Speaking Academics to begin saying.."Oh that play is by SHAKESPEARE II "..Wouldnt they get laughed out ??? Well apparently SIKHS are not like that..they BOUGHT the lie..and others even went on to say that its Gurdass SINGH !!! becasue the period of the vaar happens to be post 1708 !! while the ORIGINAL 40 Vaars are Guru Arjun/Hargobind Period !!..200 years EARLIER !! So UTTERLY RIDICULOUS...but not to SIKHS...they swallowed the Gurdass SINGH story hook line and sinker...and IN the process tried to prove that...even Bhai GHANIYAH.( SINGH) ..Bhai NAND LALL (SINGH) MUST Have taken Pahul and became SINGHS too...this "theory" was spun to make Gurdass SINGH more credible !!!...Did I say "Prove"..No Ji..I meant the Ragis and Babas spinning tales just began saying that...( and among SIKHS whatever" said by some half baked parcharak on Gurdawra Stage/during Kirtan etc ".... is proof...):grinningsingh::grinningsingh::grinningsingh::grinningsingh::grinningsingh:

• Like Like x 3
  8. Gyani Jarnail Singh

Gyani Jarnail Singh Malaysia
    Expand Collapse
    Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
    Mentor Writer SPNer Contributor

They dare not translate it...its so RABIDLY ANTI_ISLAM. ANTI-MUSLIM..FALSE "facts"...etc...thats it would look so obviously a work of FICTION by a BRAHMIN Imposter !!! Example it says that Guru Gobind Singh destroyed MOSQUES...BANNED the AZAN (muslim prayer)..slaughtered muslims !!..and this si the Vaar that wraps POISON in SUGAR....Simmar manaii KALIKA..khandeh kee vela...Making Guru Gobind Singh as Praying to KALIKA Chandi Gioddess to receive the KHANDAH (pahul ceremony in which the Kacherra is supposedly a GIFT form Hanuman !!)
    This SAME AGENDA of the BRAHMIN is carried out in...Bala Janam Sakhi..Gurbilas patshai Chhevin, Dasvin, DG, etc etc...and its quite easily established that the "Authors" of these books are also ONE GROUP !!
    The subject is too big for one post..or even one Thread...

• Like Like x 3
  9. Ishna

Ishna
    Expand Collapse
    On hiatus
    Writer SPNer Contributor

Does anyone know if a different English translation of Bhai Gurdas Ji's Vaaran is available?

Many thanks

10. Ishna

Ishna
    Expand Collapse
    On hiatus
    Writer SPNer Contributor

• Like Like x 1