Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

Uth Kudiye

Discussion in 'Sikh Video' started by findingmyway, Feb 20, 2013.

1. findingmyway

findingmyway
    Expand Collapse
    Writer SPNer Contributor Supporter

• Like Like x 5
    #1 findingmyway, Feb 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2013
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Jatinder Singh Southall Joins Sikh Philosophy Network! New SPN'ers Nov 11, 2016
    IIM Amritsar Mostly Has Youth With Shorn Hair In Its Photos ? Hard Talk Oct 29, 2016
    Literature Has Anyone Read: "The Sikh Religion: Its Gurus, Sacred Writings And Authors" Language, Arts & Culture Oct 22, 2016
    Should One Always Tell The Truth? Sikh Sikhi Sikhism Sep 20, 2016
    Sikh News Second Annual Sikh Youth Leadership Institute Held In Ottawa Breaking News Aug 18, 2016

3. Scarlet Pimpernel

Scarlet Pimpernel
    Expand Collapse
    We seek him here,we sikh
    SPNer Supporter

Way Ji The video states lyrics by Harman but he has just changed a line of Gurbani,I feel it's not right ,as it originally described something higher.

• Like Like x 3
  4. findingmyway

findingmyway
    Expand Collapse
    Writer SPNer Contributor Supporter

Thank you for pointing that out SP ji. This raises an interesting question. As far as I know this song was marketed as an inspirational song. Had it been marketed as Kacchi Bani would it have been more or less acceptable? Or should all songs be banned from using any Bani related material at all?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Scarlet Pimpernel

Scarlet Pimpernel
    Expand Collapse
    We seek him here,we sikh
    SPNer Supporter

If by Kacchi bani you are referring to the practice of singing whilst wearing a kacchi,then yes it should be banned!

6. spnadmin

spnadmin United States
    Expand Collapse
    1947-2014 (Archived)
    SPNer Supporter

What about Snatam Kaur? She sings exactly that in full bana. Interesting contrasts brought up I think. I am a fan of both performers.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Gyani Jarnail Singh

Gyani Jarnail Singh Malaysia
    Expand Collapse
    Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
    Mentor Writer SPNer Contributor

"Kachi bani"...???

A "Composition" which is NOT from the GURU...not of the GURU..and NOT BY the GURU...

Take example of the "Counterfeit Currency" VS "Legal Tender". I may get the best counterfeiter, the best plates, and PRINT the BEST looking "Counterfeit" Currency NOTE. Now comes the CRITICAL PART...as LONG as I "keep" the CC in my pocket..safe..framed up on my wall..etc etc etc..its perfectly acceptable and not criticized in any way....THE TROUBLE COMES..when I PASS OFF the CC as LEGAL TENDER !! Then it becomes CRIMINAL........... INTENT/CASE/punishable by Prison sentence or worse. Why did the circumstances change so drastically ? The CC note is the same..beautifully stunningly "real"...but when I had it framed up on my Sitting Room Wall..it was OK....BUT when i tried "buying" a burger with it..the WORLD JUMPED ON MY NECK ??? what happened..???

Kachi bani was there by the TON LOAD centuries BEFORE Guru nanak ji arrived in 1469...there was plenty of GRANTHS even...when GURU AMARDASS JI wrote the anand SAHIB...."SATGUR BINAH HOR KACHI BANI...kehndeh kaccheh, sunndeh kacheh..KACHI HOR BIKHANNI..." WHY the NEED fro GURU AMARDASS JI to give this STERN WARNING ??

Becasue..by the time of the THIRD SATGUR...the "LEGAL TENDER" of SACHI GURBANI from GURU NANAK JI SAHIB..."Jaisee mehn aveh KHASAM KI BANI..tessrrah kareen GYAAN ve lalo..."and then it was no longer acceptable for a COUNTERFEIT BANI..being passed off as SACHI GURBANI. Guru Ji also gives the 3 "Ways" to RECOGNISE "Kachi bani" ( Just as the FEDERAL BANK issues guidelines to help us RECOGNISE "Counterfeit currency"... 1. SATGUR BINAH...Hor kachi bani...
    2. Kehndeh Kacheh..
    3. Sunndeh Kacheh
    4. Kachi - HOR- Bikhhannee

Who was producing this "Kachi bani" ?? The Guru Amardass warning applies most strongly to those IN THE GURU LINEAGE ( therefore CREDIBLE among the sangat as Guru wansh...Guru sahibzadeh etc etc)..who having FAILED to get exalted to the GURGADEE POSITION...by legitimate means...were then also claiming "Guruship" and also penning "Gurbani" to equal the GURBANI of the sacha satgur seated on Guru nanak Jis Gurgadhee. Guru nanak jis two sons..Guru Angad ji's two sons..Guru Amardass Jis two sons...and Guru Ramdass Jis two sons....were not only insanely jealous of their siblings/Rivals who attained the spiritual heights required to to be GURU..but also well versed with the GURBANI simply by being close to the SOURCE (GURU) of such SACHI GURBANI. In fact at a later period during GURU ARJUN jis time..his brother who was such an EXCELLENT Kathakaar of GURBANI managed for a short period to ATTRACT majority of the Sangat to his own and situation became so bad that Guru Arjun Jis Sikhs Bhai Buddha Ji, Bhai gurdass Ji etc had to go out to the Town Walls/gates to tell the Sangats that the REAL GURU was GURU ARJUN JI. MEENNAS..DHIRMALLIS etc were penning "Kachi bani" and passing it off as SACHI GURBANI - as Patshai CHHEVIN, Patshai SATVEEIN....Patshai Atthveein...and just before the revelation of GURU TEG BAHADUR JI..there were 22 GURUS proclaiming themsleves to be the REAL SUCCESSOR of GURU HARKISHAN JI !!!

Long story..........but discerning readers of SPN would have realised by now..what the real issue about "Kachi bani" ?? There is NO ISSUE at all...UNTIL the "Counterfeit" stuff is PASSED off as the GENUINE STUFF....and this happens...in the PRESENCE OF Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji...or in the PRESENCE of the REAL GURBANI. IF the sangat/audience etc is clearly TOLD that a composition is NOT GURBANI...NOT from Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji...then there is NO ISSUE. Just like so long as the beautiful Counterfeit USD 100 remains in my POCKET...its OK...but the moment i take it out to BUY STUFF with IT..it becomes an ISSUE...( IF I tell the seller that i am giving him a COUNTERFEIT NOTE..he wouldnt sell me his stuff..IF I DONT tell him..then I am trying to pass of Counterfeit as GENUINE....!!!..) Counterfeit Currency is NOT OK...where ??..IN the OPEN MARKET PLACE where buying/selling takes place... Kachi bani...is NOT OK...in the Presence of SGGS - Diwans, kirtan samagams, Gurbani katha samagam..akhand paath..etc etc _ where Sangat would normally be present to Hear SGGS/Genuine GURBANI....and in situations where KB is being mixed in..adulterated into GURBANI to be passed off as Genuine - PIRATED GOODS in GENUINE PACKAGING !!!
    :icecreamkudi:

• Like Like x 4
    #6 Gyani Jarnail Singh, Feb 21, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  8. Luckysingh

Luckysingh Canada
    Expand Collapse
    Writer SPNer

It wouldn't make no difference at all except then it clearly wouldn't be gurbani.
    The song is inspirational, it doesn't come across as kachi bani or bani tampering in any way.

Should all songs and musicians be banned from using any references or quotes from gurbani ??
    Not at all.
    In my opinion, this would just be further brahminization of trying to limit who can speak or say some lines if gurbani and who can't.
    But like Gyanji explains, if any one tries to pass it off as the real gurbani message or the real complete Guru-shabad, then that is where they get told -NO, off you go that is simply kachi !!!

There is no blasphemy or degradation of any kind if one practices kachi. But it's the practice in darbar or in the presence of Guruji that is NOT allowed.

I have just seen some raagis at someone's house who were repeatedly adding their own refrains into shabad's and then mixing and matching tuks from other shabads all in the presence of Guru Granth Sahib ji !!
    That is what I would call kachi, even though no one batted an eye-lid.

In my opinion, an inspirational song is inspirational and it doesn't matter if it has a line or two extracted from gurbani to give it that edge.
    If we start to class it as gurbani then that's where we create the problem.

I have done plenty of my own so called 'kachi' and it's usually when i've used my own words of inspiration along with some tuk of gurbani.
    There are plenty of Gurdas Maan songs that contain these one or two tuks added for that extra inspirational edge !

• Like Like x 4