• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

General US Presidential Race

Which Candidate do you Support?

• Barack Obama and Joe Biden...All the way

Votes: 15 68.2%
  • John McCain and Sarah Palin...All the way

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

kilemba

SPNer
Mar 17, 2008
Re: U.S Presidential Race

Obama, he's a minority and he's made it this far, Although I doubt if the americans will want to vote him in.He's well liked worldwide. He speaks with conviction:yes:. Will be a better candidate to put America in perspective.

Voting for Republican's is like voting for the Tories in England. Basically a vote for the devil and evil!

Not giving a dam about your fellow men like these right wing parties epitomise are against Sikh ideals.

lol...thats a little harsh...innit? :}{}{}:

the problem is the republicans justify their "ID" party philosophy by stating that 'not giving a damn' is the best way to give a damn.

some may consider this borderline dementia...but i have seen 'tough love' in action before.

parties that promote smaller government is good at times (i consider politics a cyclical event)

its just the democrats' turn this time.

cheers

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA

lol...thats a little harsh...innit?(quote Sinister ji)

Not a little but too harsh.
I was a registered Democrat, I could see nothing good in Republicans; however, after year 2000, I found so many weaknesses and selfishness in Democrats too at both levels( in the State and in the Center), I became Independent.
:whisling:

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom

lol...thats a little harsh...innit? :}{}{}:

the problem is the republicans justify their "ID" party philosophy by stating that 'not giving a damn' is the best way to give a damn.

some may consider this borderline dementia...but i have seen 'tough love' in action before.

parties that promote smaller government is good at times (i consider politics a cyclical event)

its just the democrats' turn this time.

cheers

Not harsh at all.

Not helping poor people

Not helping the environment

Not tolerating diversity

Giving Rich Tax Cuts

These are the values of the Right wingers. Incompatible with Sikh philosophy. If you analyse Sikh Phlilosophy you will find its essence has very left wing leaning with an emphasis on individual as well as collective responsibility.

I despite/hate Tories in this country and from a British observers point of view think the Republican are truly evil people.

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN

McCain has come closer to Obama in a amazing fashion... this poll from 12-0 has come to 15-4, so although it looks heavily tilted in favor of Obama but real picture may turn out to be something really unexpected... :confused:

Not harsh at all.

Not helping poor people

Not helping the environment

Not tolerating diversity

Giving Rich Tax Cuts

These are the values of the Right wingers. Incompatible with Sikh philosophy. If you analyse Sikh Phlilosophy you will find its essence has very left wing leaning with an emphasis on individual as well as collective responsibility.

I despite/hate Tories in this country and from a British observers point of view think the Republican are truly evil people.

So, let me get this straight, sikh philosophy transcends epistemology but cannot transcend trivialized U.S political partitions and their associated rhetoric? Sounds like a stretch.

Extrapolating your interpretation of religious morality to help you make a political decision is nothing short of what evangelical voters do (albeit in the non-liberal direction).

Don’t get me wrong, I’m all gung-ho for Obama, but calling the other side evil, is not a way to encourage any rational political debate…and is certainly not the basis on which I want the democrats to take this election.

Of co{censored}, my hopes are high that you were being a little facetious (which is great...because democrats despartely need more people that can throw political jabs like you).

the word "liberal" has been demonized time and time again why not demonize the word "conservative" as well?

PS:
Sarah Palin is evil...i have a feeling that Greenpeace and PETA members, who are undoubtedly foaming at the mouth, are already planning her assasination.

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom

So, let me get this straight, sikh philosophy transcends epistemology but cannot transcend trivialized U.S political partitions and their associated rhetoric? Sounds like a stretch.

Extrapolating your interpretation of religious morality to help you make a political decision is nothing short of what evangelical voters do (albeit in the non-liberal direction).

Don’t get me wrong, I’m all gung-ho for Obama, but calling the other side evil, is not a way to encourage any rational political debate…and is certainly not the basis on which I want the democrats to take this election.

Of co{censored}, my hopes are high that you were being a little facetious (which is great...because democrats despartely need more people that can throw political jabs like you).

the word "liberal" has been demonized time and time again why not demonize the word "conservative" as well?

PS:
Sarah Palin is evil...i have a feeling that Greenpeace and PETA members, who are undoubtedly foaming at the mouth, are already planning her assasination.

Too many long words :p My brain is overloading.

Ok lets break it down and look at Sikh institutions. There is Miri and Piri. Spiritual and Temporal. The two are interlinked and intertwinned, so in this respect what happens here and now (and this does include politics) is interlinked with our spiritual well being according to Sikhism. This is very different from other faiths that claim some sort of otherwordly liveberation. What Sikhi says says what we do here and now will affect us here and now. We can in effect create a heaven or hell around us and within us.

Let us analyse the 5 thieves that create this Hell:

Kaam - Lust - right wingers claim to be on the higher moral ground by promoting marriage etc, yet they are massive hypocrits. The amount of Tory ministers that have had illict affaires in the UK is unbelievable.

Krodh - Stubborness - the inability for people with a right wing dogma to understand the needs of those that are disadvantaged and extend need or help to them. Take what happened in New Orleans.

Moh - Materialism - I don't need to say anything about this but this forms the cornerstone of Right wing philosophy.

Lobh - Greed or wanting more than your fair share. Again a cornerstone of Right wing Capattalism.

Hankaar - Egotism - thinking you are better than others whether, materialy, physically or mentally. Right wingers tendancy to be from rich families, the best education and usually have had the priveledges that have given them a head start. They believe they are actually better than their fellow man.

What is liberal? I mean my views are Liberal but I am very conservative with a small "c" when it comes to family values. I believe we should help our fellow man. We should have a welfare state, and also access to free health, education and housing BUT only if their is a genuine need i.e. extended to people who genuinely need it and are trying for themselves. I am conservativein that I belive children should be born within wedlock, yet I am liberal because I don't believe that gay people can get married, and I do believe that Gay married people should be allowed to have children.

I don't like promiscuos people, I despise celebrity culture as most are irresponsible, yet I love movies and the razza matazz that surrounds it.

In this respect I believe in the Sikh Philosophy that you can be surrounded by all these things yet not necessarily be part of it.

Lets analyse institutions:

Langaar - every sits equally and eats

Van Chakko- work ethic and work for the common good

Daswaand - Giving a tenth of your earnings to the poor

Guru Nanak - his farm he set up and the Langaar was in effect a "collective", a very left wing ideal in that everyone worked there for mutual benefit, the food used was for langaar and earnings used to help the needy.

Guru Gobind - bowing to his sangat shows the notion of total equality.

Guru Granth and Guru Paanth - Our Guru's rule is entrusted in the collective i.e. the Sikh people in general.

Amrit Ceremony - all drinking from same bowls shows we are one and the same equal.

Sewa - working to help others and the benfit of others.

There are many many more Sikh concepts that are very left wing, but what marks Sikh philosophy apart from any left wing dogma is the emphasis on individual responsibility.

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom

Ok lets break it down and look at Sikh institutions. There is Miri and Piri. Spiritual and Temporal. The two are interlinked and intertwinned, so in this respect what happens here and now (and this does include politics) is interlinked with our spiritual well being according to Sikhism. This is very different from other faiths that claim some sort of otherwordly liveberation. What Sikhi says says what we do here and now will affect us here and now. We can in effect create a heaven or hell around us and within us.

Kaam - Lust - right wingers claim to be on the higher moral ground by promoting marriage etc, yet they are massive hypocrits. The amount of Tory ministers that have had illict affaires in the UK is unbelievable.

Krodh - Stubborness - the inability for people with a right wing dogma to understand the needs of those that are disadvantaged and extend need or help to them. Take what happened in New Orleans.

Moh - Materialism - I don't need to say anything about this but this forms the cornerstone of Right wing philosophy.

Lobh - Greed or wanting more than your fair share. Again a cornerstone of Right wing Capattalism.

Hankaar - Egotism - thinking you are better than others whether, materialy, physically or mentally. Right wingers tendancy to be from rich families, the best education and usually have had the priveledges that have given them a head start. They believe they are actually better than their fellow man.

What is liberal? I mean my views are Liberal but I am very conservative with a small "c" when it comes to family values. I believe we should help our fellow man. We should have a welfare state, and also access to free health, education and housing BUT only if their is a genuine need i.e. extended to people who genuinely need it and are trying for themselves. I am conservativein that I belive children should be born within wedlock, yet I am liberal because I don't believe that gay people can get married, and I do believe that Gay married people should be allowed to have children.

I don't like promiscuos people, I despise celebrity culture as most are irresponsible, yet I love movies and the razza matazz that surrounds it.

In this respect I believe in the Sikh Philosophy that you can be surrounded by all these things yet not necessarily be part of it.

Lets analyse institutions:

Langaar - every sits equally and eats

Van Chakko- work ethic and work for the common good

Daswaand - Giving a tenth of your earnings to the poor

Guru Nanak - his farm he set up and the Langaar was in effect a "collective", a very left wing ideal in that everyone worked there for mutual benefit, the food used was for langaar and earnings used to help the needy.

Guru Gobind - bowing to his sangat shows the notion of total equality.

Guru Granth and Guru Paanth - Our Guru's rule is entrusted in the collective i.e. the Sikh people in general.

Amrit Ceremony - all drinking from same bowls shows we are one and the same equal.

Sewa - working to help others and the benfit of others.

There are many many more Sikh concepts that are very left wing, but what marks Sikh philosophy apart from any left wing dogma is the emphasis on individual responsibility.

Please note I use the terms "Heaven" or "Hell" in a descriptive sense and not as an actual place as described in Semitic texts.

Ergo; Nanak officially endorses Obama? :hmm: :D

When examined closely, religion forms a complex network of internal tensions. When a religion enters social consciousness it contains the usual representation of human behaviour and feeling; yet it also absorbs into its stream of movement the hard and perhaps insoluble pellets of its flawless ideology. The conflict is inescapable: Religion tries to confront experience in its immediacy and closeness, while its ideology is by its nature general and inclusive.

also adding to the complexity is the fact that;
Liberal and Conservative labels are not fixed or engrained into the psyche of a particular culture. They are fluid and they vary with issue, time and environmental conditions...which you expressed yourself:

What is liberal? I mean my views are Liberal but I am very conservative with a small "c" when it comes to family values.

Liberal/Conservative...these are rather weak political dichotomies although they give the false appearance of being strong.

Both liberals and conservatives make a compelling argument on how to achieve equality and equal oppurtunity (its a tug of war between two conflicting ideologies promising the same things; liberty, justice, equality)...one philosophy 'becomes more right', depending upon the particular environmental conditions....which is why i consider politics a rather cyclical event especially in the US.

there has to be forces that stop government expansion and there needs to be forces the encourage it....wouldn't characterize one side as evil...however, the excess of one side will lead to rather evil outcomes.

catch my drift?

cheers

please people dont vote for this woman...she scares me now...i agree i haven't been open minded about her...and i dont plan on being open minded for someone who continues to display complete incompetance

does she even know english?
YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

YouTube - Palin: Bailout is about healthcare!

YouTube - Sarah Palin Talks Rick Davis, McCain Record

pk70 ...you convinced yet? No wonder they were hiding her!....sorry...im not comfortable handing this woman launch codes to the largest nuclear {censored}nal on earth...nor trusting her in handling a large economic crisis.

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom

Ergo; Nanak officially endorses Obama? :hmm: :D

When examined closely, religion forms a complex network of internal tensions. When a religion enters social consciousness it contains the usual representation of human behaviour and feeling; yet it also absorbs into its stream of movement the hard and perhaps insoluble pellets of its flawless ideology. The conflict is inescapable: Religion tries to confront experience in its immediacy and closeness, while its ideology is by its nature general and inclusive.

also adding to the complexity is the fact that;
Liberal and Conservative labels are not fixed or engrained into the psyche of a particular culture. They are fluid and they vary with issue, time and environmental conditions...which you expressed yourself:

Liberal/Conservative...these are rather weak political dichotomies although they give the false appearance of being strong.

Both liberals and conservatives make a compelling argument on how to achieve equality and equal oppurtunity (its a tug of war between two conflicting ideologies promising the same things; liberty, justice, equality)...one philosophy 'becomes more right', depending upon the particular environmental conditions....which is why i consider politics a rather cyclical event especially in the US.

there has to be forces that stop government expansion and there needs to be forces the encourage it....wouldn't characterize one side as evil...however, the excess of one side will lead to rather evil outcomes.

catch my drift?

cheers

I catch your drift, but if one boat was Conservative and another boat Liberal, the Sikh would (or should) have two feet in the Liberal boat, with a rope pulling the Conservative boat behind. :up:

As for Guru Nanak being an Obama supporter, surrounding himself with misfits, low castes, outcastes, dressing in no particular fashion, would classify him today as liberal and left leaning (possibly even a hippy).

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA

pk70 ...you convinced yet? No wonder they were hiding her!....sorry...im not comfortable handing this woman launch codes to the largest nuclear {censored}nal on earth...nor trusting her in handling a large economic crisis.

I went away from Democrats due to their bleeding liberalism, they distanced themselves from centrist approach of Bill Clinton. We need a man who can stand up against ridiculous policies of the both parties like Ron Paul.... Republicans live in disguises most of the time, so still I am there... thinking

I went away from Democrats due to their bleeding liberalism, they distanced themselves from centrist approach of Bill Clinton. We need a man who can stand up against ridiculous policies of the both parties like Ron Paul.... Republicans live in disguises most of the time, so still I am there... thinking

:}8-:...you know what voter group i belong too...:}8-:

YouTube - The Onion: 'No Values Voters' Search For Most Evil Candidate

:{;o:

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom

please people dont vote for this woman...she scares me now...i agree i haven't been open minded about her...and i dont plan on being open minded for someone who continues to display complete incompetance

does she even know english?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I69Qh0oF0E0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npUMUASwaec
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpxMwOghLiY

"I'll find some examples and bring them to you"

oh my God,this woman is truly dangerous. OMG

YouTube - Breaking Down the Electoral Map - Oct. 1

Aad ji, welcome aboard!
come on OBAMA! :happy: still long way to go anything can shift here and there in a months time...but things are looking up for democrats!

amount of swing states are substantially larger in this election cycle.

i think Obama will not carry Ohio...possibly Florida?...McCain has to carry both in order to win this election...big struggle but not entirely impossible for republicans.

the amount of newly registered voters also looks promising...they have a leaning towards Obama...will help in the end (these are people pollsters usually do not call)

cheers

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

New voters, minorities in distressed urban areas, and young voters have to go and actually vote. Not just talk about it.

Anyway, McCain has pulled out of MIchigan and that is very interesting.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

Following the vice presidential debate last night, I have this comment. McCain and elderly man with cancer would be succeeded by Sara Palin. What do forum members think about this?

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM