• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Controversial Uneducated Comments By Sajjid Khan On A Commendable Gatka Performance At India's Got Talent Spark Co

eropa234

SPNer
Mar 24, 2005
Toronto
I am not shocked or offended at his comments. If all people in the world were like the judge there will be no need for war.

I, as a disciple of the wisdom of Sri Guru Gobind Singh ji,is of the firm belief that it is the duty of everyone to work very hard for peace at the same time keep your self prepared for self defense.

In today's world swords and shields does not play any part in the art of war. By participating in this historic art practiced by original disciples of Guruji the mindset of the individual is solidified.

We, as a disciples of Sri Guru Granth Sahib should be able to give up our lives with pleasure just like Sri Guru Teg Bahadur ji and defend our self Just like Sri Guru Gobind Singh ji in that the actions of both gurus reflects the same frame of mind.

jasi

SPNer
Apr 28, 2005
canada
SS AKAL JI .

This is another evidence how much people out side Punjab knows about Sikh traditions like us know about Tamils,Gujarati or Maratha,Malayalam and others traditions..

Sajjid Khan should have sufficient knowledge of Gatka in Sikhism before be able to pass judgment.His ignorance must have deeply hurt that little boy who was so enthusiastic

So we should calm down on our temper to address the issue to that extent where we realize his comments were not intentional..

Sajid Khan should have sufficient knowledge of Gatka in Sikhism before be able to pass judgement.His ignorance must have deeply hurt that little boy who was so enthusiastic to perform Gatka to his best .

No empathy was shown . I am sure sSajid Khan is not happy either if he is not suffering from EGO..

Jaspi

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
This is a rant...

Instead to talking about and looking for solutions to fix real problems. What do we talk about?
Sikhs outraged!
At what?
Some judge made ignorant comments about gatka.
So what?
A boys feelings were hurt!!
SGPC is going to get the judge kicked out! That son of a ...
:banghead:

Some stupid comments spark HUGE controversies! Is this all we can do? Raise our voices and waste them on ignorant people?? Did anyone hear that Punjab is drug ridden, in the video?!? Is this not a BIGGER problem?? Should Sikhs not be outraged at this instead??

Who is talking about this? What is SGPC doing about this??

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
Instead to talking about and looking for solutions to fix real problems. What do we talk about?
At what?
So what?

Some stupid comments spark HUGE controversies! Is this all we can do? Raise our voices and waste them on ignorant people?? Did anyone hear that Punjab is drug ridden, in the video?!? Is this not a BIGGER problem?? Should Sikhs not be outraged at this instead??

Who is talking about this? What is SGPC doing about this??

Bhagat Singh ji,

You're right, of course, and we should be very upset at the arrest, torture and disappearance of Pal Singh ji, too.

However, as an activist for about 45 years, I need to say that we need these things to break the incredible heaviness of the really major things. If we don't take a break from dealing with death, torture, drugs, etc., we'd all get burned out very quickly.

Now that we've had our break, what do you suggest we do about the drug problem in Punjab?

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
I am not shocked or offended at his comments. If all people in the world were like the judge there will be no need for war.

I, as a disciple of the wisdom of Sri Guru Gobind Singh ji,is of the firm belief that it is the duty of everyone to work very hard for peace at the same time keep your self prepared for self defense.

In today's world swords and shields does not play any part in the art of war. By participating in this historic art practiced by original disciples of Guruji the mindset of the individual is solidified.

We, as a disciples of Sri Guru Granth Sahib should be able to give up our lives with pleasure just like Sri Guru Teg Bahadur ji and defend our self Just like Sri Guru Gobind Singh ji in that the actions of both gurus reflects the same frame of mind.

Actually it is a sad fact that people ARE ignorant like this judge and totally ignorant about other peoples culture and values. It is this sort of ignorance displayed by Sajjid Khan that causes wars and causes problems.

Miri Piri, and Shakti and Bhakti go hand in hand for a Sikh. If their is no Saint + Soldier there is no Sikhism!

The ideas you are professing are of Ahimsa, and relate to Vaisnav thinking, something Alien to Sikhi!

We give up our lives but also emulate the fact both Guru Tegh Bahadhur and Guru Gobind Singh were disciplined warriors who used Shastervidya and Ghatka for defence and discipline, which is very relevant in todays "shotgun" culture!

eropa234

SPNer
Mar 24, 2005
Toronto
SS AKAL JI .

This is another evidence how much people out side Punjab knows about Sikh traditions like us know about Tamils,Gujarati or Maratha,Malayalam and others traditions..

Sajjid Khan should have sufficient knowledge of Gatka in Sikhism before be able to pass judgment.His ignorance must have deeply hurt that little boy who was so enthusiastic

So we should calm down on our temper to address the issue to that extent where we realize his comments were not intentional..

Sajid Khan should have sufficient knowledge of Gatka in Sikhism before be able to pass judgement.His ignorance must have deeply hurt that little boy who was so enthusiastic to perform Gatka to his best .

No empathy was shown . I am sure sSajid Khan is not happy either if he is not suffering from EGO..

Jaspi

I do not agree that his comments are out of ignorance. There are many pacifists around the world they rather die than to defend them self's. They will usually see the display on any weapon or act as promotion of violence. There cannot be a conflict between a Sikh and a pacifist as they both condemn violence. A Sikh may fight to protect others as well from injustices and violence.

We should display tolerance to the views of other as the the Sikh, who lead the display did. After all its the Patience and Tolerance is the yard stick to measure the good in a society not the military might.

eropa234

SPNer
Mar 24, 2005
Toronto
Actually it is a sad fact that people ARE ignorant like this judge and totally ignorant about other peoples culture and values. It is this sort of ignorance displayed by Sajjid Khan that causes wars and causes problems.

Miri Piri, and Shakti and Bhakti go hand in hand for a Sikh. If their is no Saint + Soldier there is no Sikhism!

The ideas you are professing are of Ahimsa, and relate to Vaisnav thinking, something Alien to Sikhi!

We give up our lives but also emulate the fact both Guru Tegh Bahadhur and Guru Gobind Singh were disciplined warriors who used Shastervidya and Ghatka for defence and discipline, which is very relevant in todays "shotgun" culture!

Randip Singh Ji, The most powerful weapon one can posses is the weapon of "Gyan" Gurbani is full of Gyan. I do not agree with the comment of the judge and I do not believe that such comments are the cause of a war unless you believe its an insult to the religion and a war must be fought.

There are no losers in a battle that is fought with intellect and wisdom every one wins in such a battle.

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
I do not agree that his comments are out of ignorance. There are many pacifists around the world they rather die than to defend them self's. They will usually see the display on any weapon or act as promotion of violence. There cannot be a conflict between a Sikh and a pacifist as they both condemn violence. A Sikh may fight to protect others as well from injustices and violence.

We should display tolerance to the views of other as the the Sikh, who lead the display did. After all its the Patience and Tolerance is the yard stick to measure the good in a society not the military might.

My best friend for 50 years, from first grade until her death, was a Jain. She was the kindest, gentlest person I ever knew. She cried when I killed a mosquito. She always thought we Sikhs were slightly uncivilised, but she was very nice about it, never insulting. Pacifist can be civil.

A short, slightly OT story: For all her deeply-rooted pacifism, when I came back from Delhi 1984 after my nuclear family and brothers and cousins being killed, when she learned that I had killed the murderer of my son, she said, "I wouldn't have done that," and then, under her breath, "because I wouldn't have known how."

Oct 10, 2009
Gurfateh ji,

Sajjid Khan should watch Tycondo movies where little kids are doing Karate showing their skills in Chinese Martials arts it shows this guy is completely out of his wits talking about Sikh martial everyone should learn Gatka and then he will know using swords is dangerous for the kids?

Regards

Gurveen Singh

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
Randip Singh ji, I dont see a difference between what Eropa ji is saying and what you are saying.

My comments are diametrically opposed to what Eropa is saying. What Eropa is saying in effect is that Sikhs believe in Ahimsa. We do not!

Sajid Khans comments are ignorant. I see it at work, on the street all the time. Every time a Sikh is mistaken for a Taliban, or when some other ignorant comment s made by members of the public about us.

Fools like Sajjjid add to problems.

"Self Defence is No Offence" Benjamin Zephaniah said this, and this sums up Sikh Values!

Sikhs DO NOT turn the other cheek!

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
Randip Singh Ji, The most powerful weapon one can posses is the weapon of "Gyan" Gurbani is full of Gyan. I do not agree with the comment of the judge and I do not believe that such comments are the cause of a war unless you believe its an insult to the religion and a war must be fought.

There are no losers in a battle that is fought with intellect and wisdom every one wins in such a battle.

For Gyan there must be Dhyan!

For Bhagti there must be Shakti!

For Miri there must be Piri!

For Ying there must be Yang!

These are central philosophies of Sikhi! No point having a huge brain, if your body cannot defend that huge brain! icecreammunda

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
My best friend for 50 years, from first grade until her death, was a Jain. She was the kindest, gentlest person I ever knew. She cried when I killed a mosquito. She always thought we Sikhs were slightly uncivilised, but she was very nice about it, never insulting. Pacifist can be civil.

A short, slightly OT story: For all her deeply-rooted pacifism, when I came back from Delhi 1984 after my nuclear family and brothers and cousins being killed, when she learned that I had killed the murderer of my son, she said, "I wouldn't have done that," and then, under her breath, "because I wouldn't have known how."

Good job she didn't read the Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji, bcause it is quite unkind about Jains in parts :p

http://www.srigranth.org/servlet/gurbani.gurbani?Action=Page&Param=1285&english=t&id=55179#l55179

Page 1285

<table cellspacing="5"><tbody><tr><td>ਪਉੜੀ
पउड़ी ॥
Pa▫oṛī.
Pauree:

</td></tr> <tr bgcolor="#babac7"><td> ਇਕਿ ਜੈਨੀ ਉਝੜ ਪਾਇ ਧੁਰਹੁ ਖੁਆਇਆ
इकि जैनी उझड़ पाइ धुरहु खुआइआ ॥
Ik jainī ujẖaṛ pā▫e ḏẖarahu kẖu▫ā▫i▫ā.
Some are Jains, wasting their time in the wilderness; by their pre-ordained destiny, they are ruined.

</td></tr> <tr><td> ਤਿਨ ਮੁਖਿ ਨਾਹੀ ਨਾਮੁ ਤੀਰਥਿ ਨ੍ਹ੍ਹਾਇਆ
तिन मुखि नाही नामु न तीरथि न्हाइआ ॥
Ŧin mukẖ nāhī nām na ṯirath nĥā▫i▫ā.
The Naam, the Name of the Lord, is not on their lips; they do not bathe at sacred shrines of pilgrimage.

</td></tr> <tr><td> ਹਥੀ ਸਿਰ ਖੋਹਾਇ ਭਦੁ ਕਰਾਇਆ
हथी सिर खोहाइ न भदु कराइआ ॥
Hathī sir kẖohā▫e na bẖaḏ karā▫i▫ā.
They pull out their hair with their hands, instead of shaving.

</td></tr> <tr><td> ਕੁਚਿਲ ਰਹਹਿ ਦਿਨ ਰਾਤਿ ਸਬਦੁ ਭਾਇਆ
कुचिल रहहि दिन राति सबदु न भाइआ ॥
Kucẖil rahėh ḏin rāṯ sabaḏ na bẖā▫i▫ā.
They remain unclean day and night; they do not love the Word of the Shabad.

</td></tr> <tr><td> ਤਿਨ ਜਾਤਿ ਪਤਿ ਕਰਮੁ ਜਨਮੁ ਗਵਾਇਆ
तिन जाति न पति न करमु जनमु गवाइआ ॥
Ŧin jāṯ na paṯ na karam janam gavā▫i▫ā.
They have no status, no honor, and no good karma. They waste away their lives in vain.

</td></tr> <tr><td> ਮਨਿ ਜੂਠੈ ਵੇਜਾਤਿ ਜੂਠਾ ਖਾਇਆ
मनि जूठै वेजाति जूठा खाइआ ॥
Man jūṯẖai vejāṯ jūṯẖā kẖā▫i▫ā.
Their minds are false and impure; that which they eat is impure and defiled.

</td></tr> <tr><td> ਬਿਨੁ ਸਬਦੈ ਆਚਾਰੁ ਕਿਨ ਹੀ ਪਾਇਆ
बिनु सबदै आचारु न किन ही पाइआ ॥
Bin sabḏai ācẖār na kin hī pā▫i▫ā.
Without the Shabad, no one achieves a lifestyle of good conduct.

</td></tr> <tr><td> ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਓਅੰਕਾਰਿ ਸਚਿ ਸਮਾਇਆ ॥੧੬॥
गुरमुखि ओअंकारि सचि समाइआ ॥१६॥
Gurmukẖ o▫ankār sacẖ samā▫i▫ā. ||16||
The Gurmukh is absorbed in the True Lord God, the Universal Creator. ||16|| </td></tr></tbody></table>

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
Gurfateh ji,

Sajjid Khan should watch Tycondo movies where little kids are doing Karate showing their skills in Chinese Martials arts it shows this guy is completely out of his wits talking about Sikh martial everyone should learn Gatka and then he will know using swords is dangerous for the kids?

Regards

Gurveen Singh

I honestly think if there had been Chinese Martial artists on the stage, Sajjid would not have had a problem.

He has an ignorance about the Sikh martial heritage, which is the same as that of the Shaolin Martial artist!

jasi

SPNer
Apr 28, 2005
canada
SS AKAL.

This quotation is perfectly apply to our nation.

"Hero worship is more stronger where there is a least value of human beings"
unknown.

Sajjid Khan can see violence on each corner today but to comment some one at that tender age to demonstrate century old marshal art on world stage did not deserve that kinds of comments.I am sure sajjid Khan is not feeling good either about his unfortunate comments.

Sajjid Khan can visit independence day parade and see what violence means after seeing most destructive ammunition or killing machines,deadly missiles is on display.

Valance is not a sickness but it can turn a saint into violent behavior if he wishes to survive by sacrificing his rights. He has to be defensive . Marshal art is defensive tools existing since centuries which were taught to royal families,armies and public at large by Rishies,Gurus.

Jaspi

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
I dont think there is any point in talking about the weak points in his argument like how he thought gatka was violent, that's just ignorant. No need to grind on that.
But what seems to be the strong point he makes is that
5 yr olds should not be playing with swords (especially on TV).
His point is not about kids doing martial arts but kids playing with sharp blades! and playing with sharp blades on TV!

I have yet to hear anything that remotely comes close to tackling this point.

PS - Does anyone see 5yr olds with swords here in this video of shaolin martial artists?
YouTube- ‪Shaolin Monks Stage Show‬&lrm;

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
Good job she didn't read the Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji, bcause it is quite unkind about Jains in parts :p

http://www.srigranth.org/servlet/gurbani.gurbani?Action=Page&Param=1285&english=t&id=55179#l55179

Page 1285

<table cellspacing="5"><tbody><tr><td>ਪਉੜੀ
पउड़ी ॥
Pa▫oṛī.
Pauree:

</td></tr> <tr bgcolor="#babac7"><td> ਇਕਿ ਜੈਨੀ ਉਝੜ ਪਾਇ ਧੁਰਹੁ ਖੁਆਇਆ
इकि जैनी उझड़ पाइ धुरहु खुआइआ ॥
Ik jainī ujẖaṛ pā▫e ḏẖarahu kẖu▫ā▫i▫ā.
Some are Jains, wasting their time in the wilderness; by their pre-ordained destiny, they are ruined.

</td></tr> <tr><td> ਤਿਨ ਮੁਖਿ ਨਾਹੀ ਨਾਮੁ ਤੀਰਥਿ ਨ੍ਹ੍ਹਾਇਆ
तिन मुखि नाही नामु न तीरथि न्हाइआ ॥
Ŧin mukẖ nāhī nām na ṯirath nĥā▫i▫ā.
The Naam, the Name of the Lord, is not on their lips; they do not bathe at sacred shrines of pilgrimage.

</td></tr> <tr><td> ਹਥੀ ਸਿਰ ਖੋਹਾਇ ਭਦੁ ਕਰਾਇਆ
हथी सिर खोहाइ न भदु कराइआ ॥
Hathī sir kẖohā▫e na bẖaḏ karā▫i▫ā.
They pull out their hair with their hands, instead of shaving.

</td></tr> <tr><td> ਕੁਚਿਲ ਰਹਹਿ ਦਿਨ ਰਾਤਿ ਸਬਦੁ ਭਾਇਆ
कुचिल रहहि दिन राति सबदु न भाइआ ॥
Kucẖil rahėh ḏin rāṯ sabaḏ na bẖā▫i▫ā.
They remain unclean day and night; they do not love the Word of the Shabad.

</td></tr> <tr><td> ਤਿਨ ਜਾਤਿ ਪਤਿ ਕਰਮੁ ਜਨਮੁ ਗਵਾਇਆ
तिन जाति न पति न करमु जनमु गवाइआ ॥
Ŧin jāṯ na paṯ na karam janam gavā▫i▫ā.
They have no status, no honor, and no good karma. They waste away their lives in vain.

</td></tr> <tr><td> ਮਨਿ ਜੂਠੈ ਵੇਜਾਤਿ ਜੂਠਾ ਖਾਇਆ
मनि जूठै वेजाति जूठा खाइआ ॥
Man jūṯẖai vejāṯ jūṯẖā kẖā▫i▫ā.
Their minds are false and impure; that which they eat is impure and defiled.

</td></tr> <tr><td> ਬਿਨੁ ਸਬਦੈ ਆਚਾਰੁ ਕਿਨ ਹੀ ਪਾਇਆ
बिनु सबदै आचारु न किन ही पाइआ ॥
Bin sabḏai ācẖār na kin hī pā▫i▫ā.
Without the Shabad, no one achieves a lifestyle of good conduct.

</td></tr> <tr><td> ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਓਅੰਕਾਰਿ ਸਚਿ ਸਮਾਇਆ ॥੧੬॥
गुरमुखि ओअंकारि सचि समाइआ ॥१६॥
Gurmukẖ o▫ankār sacẖ samā▫i▫ā. ||16||
The Gurmukh is absorbed in the True Lord God, the Universal Creator. ||16|| </td></tr></tbody></table>

Randip Singh ji,

I have read Shri Guru Granth Maharaj ji many times since childhood. I don't see your point in bringing up this shabad Are you suggesting that I should not have been friends with Lilly?

She had her religion/way of life and I had mine. She admired some things about me, I admired some things about her, as is common between friends. Some things about the other, neither of us liked. That's how life is. When she would suggest that maybe we Sikhs were a bit violent from time to time, I would come right back with, "If it weren't for people like us, people like you would be wiped out." Then we'd laugh and remain friends.

I respected her calm peacefulness, and had no desire to be like that. I am a person of action and passivity would drive me nuts. (Even some Punjabi men consider me a bit over the line in my outspokenness.)

A friendship of 50 years is always quite an accomplishment. A friendship of 50 years between two such different people, I think, should be celebrated.

Last edited:

eropa234

SPNer
Mar 24, 2005
Toronto
Randip Singh ji,

I have read Shri Guru Granth Maharaj ji many times since childhood. I don't see your point in bringing up this shabad Are you suggesting that I should not have been friends with Lilly?

She had her religion/way of life and I had mine. She admired some things about me, I admired some things about her, as is common between friends. Some things about the other, neither of us liked. That's how life is. When she would suggest that maybe we Sikhs were a bit violent from time to time, I would come right back with, "If it weren't for people like us, people like you would be wiped out." Then we'd laugh and remain friends.

I respected her calm peacefulness, and had no desire to be like that. I am a person of action and passivity would drive me nuts. (Even some Punjabi men consider me a bit over the line in my outspokenness.)

A friendship of 50 years is always quite an accomplishment. A friendship of 50 years between two such different people, I think, should be celebrated.

I completely agree with your line of reasoning and I will go further and say that I would defend a similar friend, even not a friend, I believe its my duty and obligation, I will still remain a friend with that person even if he/she condemns my actions for his/her defense. I will keep Mr. Khan (judge) in the same list.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM