• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Pauri 1 Understanding Japji Sahib Pauri 1 To 7

May 27, 2007
Re: Understanding Japuji Sahib

Pauri 7

jy jug cwry Awrjw hor dsUxI hoie ]
Even if you could live throughout the four ages, or even ten times more,

nvw KMfw ivic jwxIAY nwil clY sBu koie ]
and even if you were known throughout the nine continents and followed by all,

cMgw nwau rKwie kY jsu kIriq jig lyie ]
with a good name and reputation, with praise and fame throughout the world-

jy iqsu ndir n AwveI q vwq n puCY ky ]
still, if the Lord does not bless you with His Glance of Grace, then who cares? What is the use? As all this play of the name and fame is worldly.

kItw AMdir kItu kir dosI dosu Dry ]
Among worms, you would be considered a lowly worm, and even contemptible sinners would hold you in contempt.

nwnk inrguix guxu kry guxvMiqAw guxu dy ]
O Nanak, God blesses the unworthy with virtue, and bestows virtue on the virtuous. His store of virtue does not have any limits. auh Awp Apwr hY Aqy aus dI ikrpw BI Apwr hY[

qyhw koie n suJeI ij iqsu guxu koie kry ]7]
No one can even imagine anyone who can bestow virtue upon Him. As He is Self-Existent.
He is Self-Perpetuating, Self-Evolved

So all this name and fame is worldly thing, is of no value at all. Without His Grace all is useless
Madam ji,
:eek:What do you want to tell us by giving translations from one site. Please give as to what you make out of this Pauri like As Aman Pal ji is doing. You are simply wasting time and confusing others.:whisling::crazy::}8-:

simpy

SPNer
Mar 28, 2006
Re: Understanding Japuji Sahib Pauri 1 to 7

:) endless thanks for your comments respected Roopk Ji :)

unfortunately me neech is not Aman Pal, btw WHO IS AMAN PAL?

forgive me please

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

Respected members of the forum posting on this thread

Some of us find great satisfaction and contentment in this thread. So often in comparing 2 or more translations of any set of verses from Dhan Dhan Siri Guru Granth Sahib we can see that in the interests of capturing the 'deeper" English meaning of the Guru the translators use creativity and imagination and render Englishes verses that miss the more precise meaning of the Guru in its original language. So here the seva of Surinder ji is to give us the closer translation.

I wish I could count the times I have fallen asleep reading one particular English translation of Japuji Sahib. It really doesn't work in English. Not joking. The original sounds better. The original says what it says. So many thanks to Surinder ji. She has set herself on a worthy mission.

Of course this is just my opinion.

But something else. Sometimes threads don't call for controversy. This is one of them. When we all get up tomorrow morning and open our Nitnem and focus on the message of Naanak Sahib ji he will encourage us to wash away all dirt and corruption. As he does every day, he will encourage us to find peace within our minds and hearts and souls.

God is always cheerful.

Last edited by a moderator:
May 27, 2007

One may refer any translation. YOu may prefer the one that suits you. It is ok. But we are born sikhs and I am amritdhari Lady. This kind of translations are not much of use to us. You should learn Gurmukhi as well. I can point out some mistakes even in translation. Hence it is requested that anyone pasting the translation should see that it is done according to Bani and also should convey the closest possible meaning.
Aa dji I had seen your post and I want to help you as well so that you become an Amritdhari as well.

May 27, 2007

] jpu ]
Recite/Chant (Meditate)

The heading of the following Bani.

The word Jap refers to Simran.

This is the title of the Bani(Japuji). This includes one shaloke in the beginning, one in the end and 38 Pauries.
The message of the “JapuJi Sahib” is abiding in nature and universal in application. It is a description of the nature of Universal Reality and prescribes the way to comprehend it. Here Guru Ji reaffirms the Supremacy of the Almighty over and over again.

Awid scu jugwid scu ]
He was True In The Primal Beginning. He was True Throughout The Ages. Such here refers to the Changeless/Immortal. False is Mortal, that deforms. God is the only Reality that does not change.

scu –siq, nwS rihq, sdw iek rs[

hY BI scu nwnk hosI BI scu ]1]
He is True Here And Now. O Nanak, Forever And Ever He is True. So He is the only Truth. He is Changeless.

Pauri 1

socY soic n hoveI jy socI lK vwr ]
By Cleansing our bodies, the mental filth cannot be cleaned, even by cleansing hundreds of thousands of times.

Outer Bathing cannot clean the inner koor.

cupY cup n hoveI jy lwie rhw ilv qwr ]
By remaining silent, inner silence is not obtained, even by remaining lovingly absorbed deep within.
Moan Vart(observing Silence) cannot reduce the inner koor as outer silence does not stop the inner Chatter(non stop chatter-box/mind).

BuiKAw BuK n auqrI jy bMnw purIAw Bwr ]
The hunger of the hungry is not appeased, even after piling up loads of worldly goods.

Vart cannot reduce the inner hunger for MAYA. If Surti stays in accumulating worldly wealth, keeping yourself hungry for days or weeks, does not help at all.

shs isAwxpw lK hoih q iek n clY nwil ]
Hundreds of thousands of clever tricks, but not even one of them will go along with you in the end.
Worldly intellect and Ridhi/Sidhi do not help. As these can help one to acquire worldly comforts only. No Spiritual progress.

ikv sicAwrw hoeIAY ikv kUVY qutY pwil ]
Now Guru Ji is asking if all these efforts(then known aspects of Bhagti) do not help in Spiritual Progress then what: So how can you become truthful? And how can the veil of illusion be torn away?

hukim rjweI clxw nwnk iliKAw nwil ]
Then Answering the above Question, Guru Ji says: O Nanak, it is written (that this is the truth) that you shall obey the Hukam of His Command, and walk in the Way of His Will. (Living by considering- His Will as your will, not- your will as His Will).

Ø Outer purifications, silence observations, fasting, and mental tricks(sidhies) cannot achieve us any Spiritual Aspirations.
ØTo become truthful we need to be completely under His command. Surrender the I-ness. Accept whatever is –as it is(happily). So be CONTENT under ALL CIRCUMSTANCES. As He is the KARTAPURKH. Stop judging.

So the very first step Guru Ji is recommending for a seeker -ABIDE BY HIS HUKAM(order). It refers to SAT SANTOKH
The above should always begin with the Mool Mantra as it is the first respected Mantra in the Granth Sahib.You have avoided this. THis is as per gurmat. Even if you know that the mool mantra is separate even then Japji Sahib ji should begin with Manglacharan.
:confused:

May 27, 2007

Pauri 6

qIriQ nwvw jy iqsu Bwvw ivxu Bwxy ik nwie krI ]

If I am pleasing to Him, then that is my pilgrimage bath. Without pleasing Him, what good are ritual cleansings? So the ablution is of no avail if He(God) is not pleased.
qIriQ nwvx jwau qIrQu nwmu hY ]
qIrQu sbd bIcwru AMqir igAwnu hY ]

jyqI isriT aupweI vyKw ivxu krmw ik imlY leI ]

I gaze upon all the created beings: without the karma of good actions, what are they given to receive? We do not obtain anything without good karma.

miq ivic rqn jvwhr mwixk jy iek gur kI isK suxI ]
Within the mind are gems, jewels and rubies(pure knowledge and understanding), if we listen to the Guru's Teachings, even a single one. We need to act upon our Guru’s instructions, if we hearken to even a single teaching, we can obtain unlimited knowledge.

gurw iek dyih buJweI ]
Guru Sahib says-The Guru has given me this one understanding:

sBnw jIAw kw ieku dwqw so mY ivsir n jweI ]6]
there is only the One, the Giver of all souls, the bestower for all beings. May I never forget Him!

So this belief (out of ignorance) that outer bathing is a religious ritual and equating the physical neatness and cleanliness with mental Purity or Spiritual Life, is shear foolishness. You cannot find God by taking cold baths or taking bath on a specific hour or at a specific place. Guru Ji is rejecting all these superstitions. To become pure we need to immerse in the Inner Ambrosial Pool of the Divine Name (Amrit-Naam). We need to focus our consciousness on the Pure Self (Divine Essence, Shabad or Naam, Satguru, God, Unconditioned Consciousness) within.
Here you should explain in brief the concept of Name in terms of the three specific gurumantra. It is of little use if we keep on repeating the lines from translation. Please clarify separately shabad, Naam and introduce the concept of guru and tell that our present Guru ji is Granth Sahib. It is parrot like translation. There should be an approach that someone who is reading should get you that you want to convey.:advocate:

May 27, 2007

:rofl:
Pauri 5

QwipAw n jwie kIqw n hoie ]

He cannot be established, He cannot be created by any one. He is not subject to cause/effect.

Awpy Awip inrMjnu soie ]

He Himself is Immaculate and Pure. He is all in all Himself.

ijin syivAw iqin pwieAw mwnu ]

Those who serve Him find the reality about Him (the proof of His existence), they are accepted gracefully at His Dargah and are liberated from the bondage.

nwnk gwvIAY guxI inDwnu ]

O Nanak, sing praises of the Lord, the Treasure of Excellences. Now Guru Ji is telling us how to serve Him.

gwvIAY suxIAY min rKIAY Bwau ]

Sing, and listen, and let your mind be filled with love. Unselfish love with Him is the key.

duKu prhir suKu Gir lY jwie ]

By doing so our pain shall be sent far away, and peace shall come to our abode.

gurmuiK nwdM gurmuiK vydM gurmuiK rihAw smweI ]

When we serve Him what we find-The Guru's Word(God’s Word) is the Sound-current of the Naad; the Guru's Word is the Wisdom of the Vedas(religious books); the Guru's Word is all-pervading. Here He is pondering on this truth-
Awpy Awip inrMjnu soie ]
Gurmukh realizes the truth about Him, gurmukh listens to the Naad,and Knows that He is All.

guru eIsru guru gorKu brmw guru pwrbqI mweI ]

The Guru is Shiva, the Guru is Vishnu and Brahma; the Guru is Paarvati and Lakhshmi/Sarasvati. These are all His sargun savroops, worshipped or meditated on by the believers.

jy hau jwxw AwKw nwhI khxw kQnu n jweI ]

Even after knowing about God, I cannot describe Him; He cannot be described in words. He is Limitless. There is always more to know about Him. so purKu inrMjnu hir purKu inrMjnu hir Agmw Agm Apwrw ]

gurw iek dyih buJweI ]

The Guru(Lord) has given me this one understanding:

sBnw jIAw kw ieku dwqw so mY ivsir n jweI ]5]

there is only the One, the Giver of all souls. May I never forget Him.

In this Pauri Guru Ji is talking more about how to serve God. In the previous pauries He talked about

AMimRq vylw scu nwau vifAweI vIcwru ]

And now He stressed upon how to do it
gwvIAY suxIAY min rKIAY Bwau ]
and what we will get out of it.

So far it tells us-

He is One and He is All.
We must live under His Will.
We should sing and listen as well as contemplate on His Name with a heart full of love. Amrit Vela is the Best time.
Those who serve Him are able to know the truth about Him.

Kindly elaborate on the following points for our guidance .

1. What is the 'will' that you are referring to?
2. What is the 'truth' about HIM that will be known to those who serve HIM.
3.Should we meditate or 'Jap. which is the better of two, in regard to contemplation?:whisling::whisling::whisling:

simpy

SPNer
Mar 28, 2006

Respected YOURHIGHNESS RoopK Ji,

ENDLESS THANKS TO YOU FOR ALL YOUR RIGHTOUS COMMENTS. ME NEECH IS NOTHING AND ONLY SHARING WHAT COMES TO ME, GOD KNOWS I AM NOT CLAIMING I KNOW ALL EITHER, AS NOBODY CAN AND GURU SAHIB TEACHES US THIS OVER AND OVER AGAIN IN MANY WAYS-

swihbu myrw nIq nvw sdw sdw dwqwru ]

FYI RIGHTOUS YOUR HIGHNESS ROOPK JI, ME NEECH IS NOT CLAIMING ANY THING AS COMPLETE UNDERSTANDING, YOU CAN ADD, YOU CAN CONDEMN, OR YOU CAN COMMENT ON IT, ALL THIS WILL ALWAYS HELP- AS THIS IS ALSO GOD'S GRACE.

NEITHER IT IS AN EFFORT TO TEACH OR CONVEY SOMETHING, THIS IS A PURE AND HUMBLE EFFORT OF ME NEECHAN KI NEECH TO SPARK LOVE FOR GURU JI IN THE READERS MIND, NOW AS YOUR HIGHNESS CONCEIVES IT, ME NEECH IS NOT RESPONSIBLE(NOT EVEN A BIT) FOR OTHERS UNDERSTANDING, AS IT IS GODGIVEN- THEY CAN CALL IT FULL OF GARBAGE OR THEY CAN TAKE IT AS DHAN DHAN SIRI GURU GRANTH SAHIB JI MAHARAAJ DA PYAAR TE SATKAAR- ME NEECH HAS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO TO WITH IT :) IT IS ABSOLUTELY THEIR RELATION WITH THE ABSOLUTE CREATOR AND HIS CREATION.

Nindak nu ta i like the most, as me neech always learn from them, they are my MOM AND DAD- always teaching me about my shortcomings :). God's Grace comes from all as ALL IS GOD...

sBu goibMdu hY sBu goibMdu hY goibMd ibnu nhI koeI ]
sUqu eyku mix sq shMs jYsy Eiq poiq pRBu soeI ]

PLEASE GO ON WITH YOUR COMMENTS, YOU MENTIONED ABOUT SOME WRONG TRANSLATIONS OF GURMUKHI WORDS but didn't point out any specific one..

PLEASE DO IT, SO THAT me neech CAN LEARN MORE (if it is wrong)- WAHEGURU TUHADE ROOP CH ME NEECH NU GURBANI SIKHA REHA, WAHEGURU WAHEGURU WAHEGURU TERA SAB SADKAA

:) ENDLESS THANKS TO YOU ENDLESSLY :)

humbly asking for everybody's forgiveness

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

Surinder ji

Continue-- as ji luv4u says too. Your translations are clear and get right to the point. They are good teaching, good explanations in and of themselves. As instructed by someone who is very dear to me, I recite Japuji in its original Gurmurki form, and so I am not interested in all the abstract possibilities of English translation.

God is always cheerful.

simpy

SPNer
Mar 28, 2006

Surinder ji

Continue-- as ji luv4u says too. Your translations are clear and get right to the point. They are good teaching, good explanations in and of themselves. As instructed by someone who is very dear to me, I recite Japuji in its original Gurmurki form, and so I am not interested in all the abstract possibilities of English translation.

God is always cheerful.

Respected aad0002 ji,

With Waheguru Ji's Grace, me neech is continuing:

http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/japji-sahib/15305-understanding-japuji-sahib-pauri-8-9-a.html

OUR DEAR LOVING GURU IS OUR TEACHER..........me neech is nothing

LET US LIVE THE TRUTH GURU JI IS TELLING US, T R U T H F U L L Y :)

humbly asking for everybody's forgiveness

May 17, 2007
India..

I do not know what prompted you to leave this thread. There might be some observations of Roopk that might have hurt you. It should not be taken as seriously as in any case when we converse we do have to do that in english only. It does not mean that we should stop talking.
Kindly continue with your job.

It shall defeinetly be counted as 'service' as per gurmat.
KIndly continue if you have no other reason.
I shall participate as I seem to have many doubts. I shall be with you .
Please carry on.

Best Regards.

simpy

SPNer
Mar 28, 2006

Dear Reapected luv4u Ji,

:)

me neech have no authority to judge your observations at all and in my opinion suneeai vali paurees can be placed together under one thread, again it is me neech thinking, YourHighNess can perceive it to be doubtful or clear, IT IS ALL WAHEGURU Ji's GRACE. BE HAPPY dear luvu4 Ji, Have Faith In God, He is always there to take care of everybody's doubts as He Pleases(remember todays Hukamnaama you yourself posted dear, read it once again please, you need not to worry). WAHEGURU IS ALL, and ALL IS ALWAYS there, present, afresh, KARAN KRAAVANHAAR...................... All is done under His Hukam....................... Doubts are cleared with His Grace..................... We cannot know, analyze and judge His ways.........................

FYI- me neech is heartfully thankful to YourHighNess luv4u Ji as well as equally thankful to HerHighNess Roopk Ji. me neech learned a lot with every word you have posted, as every word is HIM AND ONLY HIM for me neechan ki neech...................

:) forgive me please :)

Vaho Vaho Bani Nirankaar Hai Tis Jayvad Avar Na Koi................................
Sab Gobind Hai Sab Gobind Hai Gobin Bin Nahi Koi......................................
Mera Mujh mai Kuch Nahi Jo Kich hai So Tera..............................................
Ek Tuee Ek Tuee.......................................................................................

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2006
Oklahoma, USA

Thank you for your post on the Jap-ji Sahib! I am beginning to learn to read it in Gurmukhi, and I am trying to learn all I can about it!
WGJKK!
WGJKF!

aks

SPNer
Jun 19, 2007

Waheguru ji ka khalsa Waheguru ji ki Fateh.

I'm new to this site. I was trying to read this thread, however, I'm unable to read the original in Gurmukhi? Do I need to download anything i.e. a font? If yes, which font is it?

Thank you.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

aks ji

Your font concern is not your doing. I have several Gurmurkhi fonts in my font-book and use three different browsers (Firefox, Camino and Safari). Sometmes a person's browser can be the problem. It just won't apply a Gurmurkhi font when a font is not in the font book. Then you have to download the font you want. However, right now I am using the Camino browser which does recognize several Gurmurkhi fonts. Yet and still, the Gurmurkhi appears in what is called the Roman transliteration alphabet.

Even when I first copy something using a font like Gurbani Web-thick or Gurbani Akhar, and then paste it into a Quick Reply window in SPN, it is automatically changed into the Roman transliteration alphabet. When someone else like Surinder posts in Gurmurkhi it still appears in Roman transliteration alphabet on my computer in all browsers.

The Roman transliteration system is a modern alternative for writing in Gurmurkhi and other eastern languages.

Someone has the answer, but I don't know who. Maybe we will get to the bottom of this. One thing won't work and that is changing your font preferences to Unicode. I tried that too.

Anyone who wants to read about transliteration from Sanskrit-based languages into the Roman alphabet system can find out more at this link from the National Library of Calcutta.

Basic principles of Transliteration

rainy

SPNer
Jul 11, 2007

Thank You Surinder for the explanation.

I am a sikhni, it's only recently that I have developed a great interest in Gurbani and the first step of course, Japji sahib.

It was nice to understand what we recite so often.

:)

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
"Hukam'' or Will, itself, is something which no words can describe. It baffles all description. The real understanding of the Divine Will comes only by direct revelation to every soul. But, with a view to bring home some idea of it, the Master indicates the multifarious aspects directed by His Will. He then goes on to indicate the touchstone by which one may know those who have become one with His Will. The knowledge of the Divine Will means the destruction of the ego.
STANZA II

• All things are manifestations of His Will;
    But His Will is beyond description.
    By His Will is matter quickened into life;
    By His Will is greatness obtained;
    By His Will some are born high and others low.
    By His Will are men's joys and sorrows ordained; (1)
    By His Will (the pious) obtain Salvation;
    By His Will (the impious) wander in endless transmigration.
    All exist under His Will,
    And nothing stands outside.
    One attuned with His Will, O Nanak, is wholly freed from ego.

(1) The reference here is to the Law of Karma or the Law of Cause and Effect. Our joys and sorrows are all ordained-being the result of our past actions. "As one sows, so does one reap,'' is a common aphorism. Elsewhere, Nanak, has beautifully said: The flowing pen of His Will,Runs according to our deeds.

Nanak, as a great Teacher, anticipates the confusion that might arise in the minds of some seekers by the study of various scriptures. These do not always say the same thing about God's Will, but there is no need for doubt and skepticism: for what they really describe is not God's Will (which in itself is indescribable), but its various workings and manifestations. God's Will pervades and directs His Creation, but it is something more, something that is itself and above and beyond creation.
STANZA III

• Some sing of His greatness, but only according to
    the power bestowed upon them;
    Some sing of His bounties, taking them as His signs;
    Some sing of Him as incomprehensible;
    Some sing of Him, as transmitting dust into life, and life
    into dust again: Creator and Destroyer, the Giver of life
    and its Withdrawer.
    Some sing of Him as at once the nearest, and the most remote,
    There is no end to His description.
    Countless have tried to describe Him, but He still stands
    beyond all description.
    His recipients may tire, but His bounty is untiring;
    Ages upon ages, Man has fed upon it.
    His Will directs the world;
    And yet, O Nanak, He dwells beyond concern or care.

God's Will is indescribable and the question arises-how may we become one with it? Guru Nanak replies that the best we can do is to sit in meditation at the early hour of dawn and commune with His Holy Word. Our actions and our efforts count no doubt-it is through them that we achieve human birth-but, says Nanak, we cannot earn Salvation, for it must come as the gift of His Grace. Guru Nanak, in the Jap Ji, turns time and again to this paradox, that Salvation is only possible through His Grace, yet we need effort to achieve this Salvation.
STANZA IV

• True is the Lord, True His Holy Word;
    His love has been described as infinite.
    Men pray to Him for gifts, which He grants untiringly.
    When all is His;
    What can we offer at His feet?
    What can we say to win His love?
    At the ambrosial hour of the early dawn,
    Be you in communion with the Divine Word
    And meditate on His Glory.
    Our birth is the fruit of our actions;
    But Salvation comes only from His Grace.
    O Nanak, know the True One as immanent in all.

Communion with the Holy Naam-the Divine Word- together with meditation on His Glory, is the "open sesame" to the realization of the One Being. Word is the substance and the power by which all life is made. Holy communion with its rapturous strains, is a gift that can be attained only through a Living Master. In His company a life of holy inspiration and love of God is followed and the inner eye is opened to see the presence of God in all things. Nanak had hinted of this in the prologue itself and now proceeds to describe the greatness and importance of such a soul. A True Master is not a mere human being, but has become One with God, and as such contains in Himself the powers of all the gods and goddesses. He is veritably the Word made flesh and blood. The one lesson that such a Master teaches His disciples is to meditate always upon the Lord, the Creator of everything, and never to forget Him.
Stanza V

• He can neither be established nor created;
    The Formless One is limitless, complete in Himself.
    Those who worship Him are honoured;
    Nanak, ever sing of the Treasure-house of all virtues,
    Let us sing of Him and hold communion with the Word,
    with hearts full of loving devotion;
    For then shall all sorrows end and we be led joyously Homeward.
    The Master(1) is the Song Eternal or Word personified;
    He is the Vedas, the scriptures;(2)
    He is saturated with the Divine.
    He is Siva(3), He is Vishnu,(3) and He is Brahma;(3)
    And their consorts Parvati,(4) Lakshmi(4) and Saraswati(4) also.
    The greatness of the Master, even if known,
    cannot be described with mortal eloquence.
    My Master has taught me one thing;
    He is the Lord of everything, Him I may never forget.

(1). The word used in the original is Gurmukh, which at once means the mouthpiece of God and the Master who leads His disciples on the Path of God.
(2). The Master possesses the knowledge of the Divine on which all scriptures are based.
(3). The Master displays all the attributes of the gods forming the Hindu trinity: Brahma, Vishnu and Siva, symbolic of the principles of creation, preservation and destruction. Like Brahma, the expounder of the Vedas, He imparts Divine knowledge and thereby gives a new birth to His disciples-the birth in spirit. Like Vishnu He protects and preserves them from all harm and like Siva, He destroys all evil propensities in them.
(4). Similarly the goddesses: Parvati, Lakshmi, and Saraswati are symbolic of devotion, wealth and learning. He is a prototype of all these virtues.

In this stanza, Nanak develops more fully the paradox just touched upon in stanza IV. One cannot attain union with God through the observance of certain outward actions, viz: reading of scriptures, saying of prayers, going on pilgrimages, observance of silence, fasts and vigils, performance of rites and rituals, all of which but form part of Apra Vidya which prepare the ground for creating interest for higher life and developing devotion. You may make the best use of them. But these outer acts cannot give emancipation. They are by themselves meaningless. What matters is His glance of Grace. If one has received this, one is blessed indeed. And yet, if Salvation depends on God's love alone, let us not live in idleness. A life of inertia can lead nowhere and God helps those who help themselves. No doubt Salvation is achieved only through Grace, yet one must make oneself worthy of the same. And the only way to make oneself worthy is by following the Path taught by a true Master. By becoming conscious of the Divine Plan, we make His Will our own.
Stanza VI

• If I may only please Him, 'tis pilgrimage enough;
    If not, nothing-no rites or toils-avails;
    Whichever way I look, I find that in His creation,
    None has won salvation without His Grace-regardless of Karmas.(1)
    You can discover untold Spiritual riches within yourself;
    If you but abide by the teachings of your Master.(2)
    My Master has taught me one lesson:
    He is the Lord of everything, may I never forget Him.

1. Karma: Action. This term in Indian thought refers to a very complex Hindu doctrine. It emphasizes belief that our present actions determine our future, not only in this life but in the life to come. There is nothing like chance. Man works according to a chain of cause and effect. Though spiritual salvation is not possible without Grace, yet, says Nanak, we must deserve that Grace by our Karmas or actions in this life or the lives preceding.
2. Guru: This term makes its appearance frequently in the Jap Ji and indeed is freely used in all the Sikh scriptures. It stands for a spiritual teacher and whenever Nanak uses it, He does not mean any person who sets up as a spiritual guide, but one who has reached the highest plane in the spiritual journey, who is no longer separate from the Almighty and has become His mouthpiece.

Through certain yogic practices one can prolong one's life and master super human and miraculous powers. But, says Nanak, these do not necessarily win God's goodwill, without which all is vanity. In fact, in a later stanza XXIX, Nanak unequivocally states that such supernatural powers, more often than not, become hindrances in the way of full realisation of God.
STANZA VII

• If one could extend one's life to four ages,(1)
    nay make it ten times longer;
    If one were known throughout the nine planes of creation;
    And everyone therein followed him in respect;
    If every creature praised him to the sky:
    All this and more has no value if God's eye looked not
    kindly upon him:
    Without His goodwill, he will be reckoned as
    the meanest worm amongst worms;
    And sinners shall charge him with sins.
    O Nanak, He bestows virtues on those who have none,
    and adds to the store of the virtuous.
    But there is naught that can bestow aught upon Him.

(1) Nanak here is referring to the ancient Indian doctrine of the four Yugas or cycles of time, which somewhat parallels the Western belief in the Golden Age, the Silver Age, the Bronze Age and the Iron Age. Nanak makes frequent use of such concepts and doctrines from ancient Hindu lore; but He refers to them not in a spirit of scientific truth, but often as a Divine poet, who employs allusion and mythology to drive home His point.

AmbarDhara

SPNer
Jan 9, 2008

] jpu ]
Recite/Chant (Meditate)

The heading of the following Bani.

The word Jap refers to Simran.

This is the title of the Bani(Japuji). This includes one shaloke in the beginning, one in the end and 38 Pauries.
The message of the “JapuJi Sahib” is abiding in nature and universal in application. It is a description of the nature of Universal Reality and prescribes the way to comprehend it. Here Guru Ji reaffirms the Supremacy of the Almighty over and over again.

Awid scu jugwid scu ]
He was True In The Primal Beginning. He was True Throughout The Ages. Such here refers to the Changeless/Immortal. False is Mortal, that deforms. God is the only Reality that does not change.

scu –siq, nwS rihq, sdw iek rs[

hY BI scu nwnk hosI BI scu ]1]
He is True Here And Now. O Nanak, Forever And Ever He is True. So He is the only Truth. He is Changeless.

Pauri 1

socY soic n hoveI jy socI lK vwr ]
By Cleansing our bodies, the mental filth cannot be cleaned, even by cleansing hundreds of thousands of times.

Outer Bathing cannot clean the inner koor.

cupY cup n hoveI jy lwie rhw ilv qwr ]
By remaining silent, inner silence is not obtained, even by remaining lovingly absorbed deep within.
Moan Vart(observing Silence) cannot reduce the inner koor as outer silence does not stop the inner Chatter(non stop chatter-box/mind).

BuiKAw BuK n auqrI jy bMnw purIAw Bwr ]
The hunger of the hungry is not appeased, even after piling up loads of worldly goods.

Vart cannot reduce the inner hunger for MAYA. If Surti stays in accumulating worldly wealth, keeping yourself hungry for days or weeks, does not help at all.

shs isAwxpw lK hoih q iek n clY nwil ]
Hundreds of thousands of clever tricks, but not even one of them will go along with you in the end.
Worldly intellect and Ridhi/Sidhi do not help. As these can help one to acquire worldly comforts only. No Spiritual progress.

ikv sicAwrw hoeIAY ikv kUVY qutY pwil ]
Now Guru Ji is asking if all these efforts(then known aspects of Bhagti) do not help in Spiritual Progress then what: So how can you become truthful? And how can the veil of illusion be torn away?

Then Answering the above Question, Guru Ji says: O Nanak, it is written (that this is the truth) that you shall obey the Hukam of His Command, and walk in the Way of His Will. (Living by considering- His Will as your will, not- your will as His Will).

Ø Outer purifications, silence observations, fasting, and mental tricks(sidhies) cannot achieve us any Spiritual Aspirations.
ØTo become truthful we need to be completely under His command. Surrender the I-ness. Accept whatever is –as it is(happily). So be CONTENT under ALL CIRCUMSTANCES. As He is the KARTAPURKH. Stop judging.

So the very first step Guru Ji is recommending for a seeker -ABIDE BY HIS HUKAM(order). It refers to SAT SANTOKH

Guru Ji gave us the way out of this bhavjal on the very first Ang.

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Namjap's post #38 is awesome, however clarification on the following would be great:

Above stanza 5:
"Holy communion with its rapturous strains, is a gift that can be attained only through a Living Master. In His company a life of holy inspiration and love of God is followed and the inner eye is opened to see the presence of God in all things. Nanak had hinted of this in the prologue itself and now proceeds to describe the greatness and importance of such a soul. A True Master is not a mere human being, but has become One with God, and as such contains in Himself the powers of all the gods and goddesses. He is veritably the Word made flesh and blood. The one lesson that such a Master teaches His disciples is to meditate always upon the Lord, the Creator of everything, and never to forget Him."

and above Stanza 7:
"2. Guru: This term makes its appearance frequently in the Jap Ji and indeed is freely used in all the Sikh scriptures. It stands for a spiritual teacher and whenever Nanak uses it, He does not mean any person who sets up as a spiritual guide, but one who has reached the highest plane in the spiritual journey, who is no longer separate from the Almighty and has become His mouthpiece."

My confusion comes from:
1. Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji is our "living" Guru and is not flesh and blood -- is the author suggesting the Guru should be a real person?
2. Guru Nanak didn't have any one specific human spiritual master. I always understood Guru Nanak's references to Guru as being God (or an "aspect" of God which functions to enlighten us), or as SGGS but never a human person.

Namjap ji, if you see this post, I would appreciate your insight please.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM